Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:33:27 AM EDT
[#1]
GD ...check...

Understand why Christianity is dying... Check.

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:33:49 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't understand why their family member is in your care.  Can't they just touch his forehead while blathering and then push him back and bam, healed?
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:33:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You don't have to be too intelligent to understand scripture. Maybe an 8th grade education is more than enough. My children could understand at young ages.
You don't have to even be a scholar. The bible itself states the Holy Spirit Himself teaches us and gives understanding. You know God is not a man that He should lie.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's pretty obvious most of the people here quoting scripture don't understand the actual meaning.  I'm not one to get into those debates but is anyone actually wants the answers of what it the bible really says about this stuff check out the site below.  He teaches bases of the the origional text and in the time it was written.  You may not like everything it says but at least your getting the real meaning instead or from people who don't understand what the origional meaning is

http://www.rbthieme.org

You don't have to be too intelligent to understand scripture. Maybe an 8th grade education is more than enough. My children could understand at young ages.
You don't have to even be a scholar. The bible itself states the Holy Spirit Himself teaches us and gives understanding. You know God is not a man that He should lie.

Guess that comment explains why you don't truly get it.  Good luck to you guess you have it all figured out!
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:35:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Nobody else is willing to confess their faith in Jesus?

OK.  I'll do it.

Jesus of Nazareth is The Christ, the only begotten Son of God.

He came in the flesh, was crucified, suffered and died--and rose again, in order to reconcile humanity to God the Father, and cleanse the sins of the world.

He alone is Truth, He is the Light of the world, He is the King of Kings and the Name above all other Names--all tongues shall praise Him and all the world shall bow before Him.

Good night.

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:35:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Acting like fools and speaking gibberish. Sad individuals.

As already stated, that is not speaking in tongues.

Pathetic.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:37:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I don't understand why their family member is in your care.  Can't they just touch his forehead while blathering and then push him back and bam, healed?
View Quote

They put a bible at the patient's feet so the patient could stand on the word of god.  That's verbatim.

After they left, I looked at the bible.  It's Chicken Soup for the Soul Bible.

I'm not sure what to think of that.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:37:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Acting like fools and speaking gibberish. Sad individuals.

As already stated, that is not speaking in tongues.

Pathetic.
View Quote

OK--noted.  

Now confess Christ, if you don't mind.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:38:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Love is the greatest 'gift' anyhoo. Love is the greatest. Speaking in tongues not the greatest gift though a 'gift of the Holy Spirit, and rightfully so according to the scriptures.

I'm sure those people that are praying and speaking in tongues are doing what they know. It is not evil, but their way of seeking God in there time of distress over a loved one. They apparently have a loved one dying, which is a serious matter in itself.

The care taker is taken back by something he has never heard and can't understand.
Things people don't understand can be scary sometimes.

I would bet it might have an effect on anyone who hasn't heard anyone express them selves to God in that way before.
One thing is clear if you were genuinely interested, it is mentioned and taught about in the Bible.

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:47:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The Holy Ghost's presence often freaks out those who are not in Him whom he is not in
View Quote

This thread could use a few more snakes.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 1:00:44 AM EDT
[#10]
You got lucky, OP.

The soul exchange ritual failed.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 1:03:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You got lucky, OP.

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 1:04:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Acts 2 King James Version (KJV)

2 And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.

2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.

3 And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.

4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

5 And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.

6 Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.

7 And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?

8 And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?

9 Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia,

10 Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes,

11 Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.

12 And they were all amazed, and were in doubt, saying one to another, What meaneth this?

13 Others mocking said, These men are full of new wine.

14 But Peter, standing up with the eleven, lifted up his voice, and said unto them, Ye men of Judaea, and all ye that dwell at Jerusalem, be this known unto you, and hearken to my words:

15 For these are not drunken, as ye suppose, seeing it is but the third hour of the day.

16 But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel;

What the unsaved said in Verse 13 hasn't changed much in 2000 years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Where does the Bible specifically mention these occurrences (speaking in tongues) and in what context?
The Book of Acts
The 1 letter to the Corinthians
The Gospel According to Mark

anywhere else?

Acts 2 King James Version (KJV)

2 And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.

2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.

3 And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.

4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

5 And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.

6 Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.

7 And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?

8 And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?

9 Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia,

10 Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes,

11 Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.

12 And they were all amazed, and were in doubt, saying one to another, What meaneth this?

13 Others mocking said, These men are full of new wine.

14 But Peter, standing up with the eleven, lifted up his voice, and said unto them, Ye men of Judaea, and all ye that dwell at Jerusalem, be this known unto you, and hearken to my words:

15 For these are not drunken, as ye suppose, seeing it is but the third hour of the day.

16 But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel;

What the unsaved said in Verse 13 hasn't changed much in 2000 years.

Feelgood Factor, aka Fatboy Slim, aka Norman Cook did a bitchin' house mix where he took a preacher's reading of these verses into slamming dance song.

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 1:06:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

So you've never seen it (or experienced it) yet you advised him to tell them that it was all bullshit, and to knock it off?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
And they're done.  

They don't seem tired from it.  I would be tired if I had done it.

Shit I wanted you to record it. I wonder what it sounds like.

So you've never seen it (or experienced it) yet you advised him to tell them that it was all bullshit, and to knock it off?

It is bullshit because it ONLY happens in churches/households that believe in it. NO ONE ever gets filled with the holy spirit in ANY of the other churches all over the world?
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 1:09:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Still waiting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Speaking in tongues is a surefire sign of evil, demonic possession; only made possible by weak-minded Christians led to the darkness by falsities taught in a cult.

Profess your faith in Jesus Christ.

Still waiting.

I believe in Jesus Christ. I also think people speak in tongues are full of it.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 1:14:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You got lucky, OP.

I have red undertones in my hair, so it's possible I have no soul.  That would explain why they sounded so angry.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 1:20:04 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
This was spoken like a true christian.

Ever realize that if it IS real, you just committed blasphemy of the Holy Ghost? Something you will get eternity to think about, maybe this exact post?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Speaking in tongues is BS anyone who is a Christian and has studied the bible knows speaking in tongues was only something that was real before Jesus.  People who believe in it are just weird and have not real understanding of of the New Testament.  Everyone I have met who believe in it belong to cultish like church.  Yeah speaking in tongues SHOULD freak you the fuck out.

Ever realize that if it IS real, you just committed blasphemy of the Holy Ghost? Something you will get eternity to think about, maybe this exact post?
So you think he's committed the unpardonable sin of denying the Holy Ghost on the basis of this post? Wow. Talk about putting the fun in fundamentalist.

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 2:00:48 AM EDT
[#17]
OP is so fragile.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 2:11:22 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

The Holy Ghost's presence often freaks out those who are not in Him
View Quote
Lol

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 2:36:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm a Christian and they freak me out too
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 2:49:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
"Speaking in tongues" actually means speaking languages not known to the person.  

Like if you had no idea how to speak Aramaic but suddenly spoke it fluently.

The gibberish that some religious people try to pass off as "speaking in tongues" is pure nonsense.  The people who believe that babbling a bunch of gibberish means you've "got the ghost" are mind-blowingly gullible.
View Quote

You are correct, and this is supported in the Bible. That gift always came with the purpose of the Gospel being given to unbelievers whose language the missionary did not speak.

Anything other than that is showing off.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 2:51:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Speaking in tongues is BS anyone who is a Christian and has studied the bible knows speaking in tongues was only something that was real before Jesus.  People who believe in it are just weird and have not real understanding of of the New Testament.  Everyone I have met who believe in it belong to cultish like church.  Yeah speaking in tongues SHOULD freak you the fuck out.
View Quote

Way to be a dickhole

I was raised Assembly of God , Pentecostal (no snakes) and they believed in speaking in tounge and we sure as hell weren't "cultish"
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 2:54:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Being uncomfortable.  Honestly, a little afraid.  There are multiple people being very loud, and they're close to me, and it is unintelligible.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Describe more precisely what it is that you are feeling.

Being uncomfortable.  Honestly, a little afraid.  There are multiple people being very loud, and they're close to me, and it is unintelligible.

Just pretend they are Russian, and go about your business.  One is as intelligible as the other, unless you can speak Russ.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 2:57:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Way to be a dickhole

I was raised Assembly of God , Pentecostal (no snakes) and they believed in speaking in tounge and we sure as hell weren't "cultish"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Way to be a dickhole

Do you believe that someone who professes to be a Christian, yet has never spoken in tongues, is essentially unsaved?
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 3:01:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The Holy Ghost's presence often freaks out those who are not in Him
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 3:17:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Do you believe that someone who professes to be a Christian, yet has never spoken in tongues, is essentially unsaved?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Way to be a dickhole

No sir , I've never spoke in tongues but I've been saved. I didn't know it was a prerequisite
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 3:42:21 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Sure.  You "know" from "experience" that 99.9% of the people around you are liars.

You must run in some pretty interesting circles.  Either that, or you don't "know" anything, and the problem is with your perception.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm a Christian and they freak me out too

Ask them how they learned to speak in tongues? When they answer they prayed for it, ask them where in the Bible it tells them to do this? I'm a Christian and I dont believe in it and think they are just putting on an act.
I think about 99.9% of them are. I know from experience.

Sure.  You "know" from "experience" that 99.9% of the people around you are liars.

You must run in some pretty interesting circles.  Either that, or you don't "know" anything, and the problem is with your perception.
The people around me don't speak in tongues. Nor did I call the ones who do liars. I also said I think, because the only ones I know from experience are the ones I've actually heard from, a vast majority of whom admitted to faking it. And that includes myself, because I was so desperate to put on a good show when I was younger Calm down.

My dad was an evangelist/missionary/pastor who traveled Canada to Argentina preaching and pastored several churches. Being part of that family afforded me plenty of insight and allowed me to see just about every facet of Christianity along with just about every fad, many cults, twisted sub-denominations and just plain weirdness. So yeah, I've run in some very interesting circles

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 4:21:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Masterbate?
View Quote

Ok, I'm almost there.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 4:27:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

They put a bible at the patient's feet so the patient could stand on the word of god.  That's verbatim.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41nkrOj%2BxNL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41nkrOj%2BxNL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 4:29:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
So you think he's committed the unpardonable sin of denying the Holy Ghost on the basis of this post? Wow. Talk about putting the fun in fundamentalist.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 5:01:58 AM EDT
[#30]
These threads never fail to bring out the atheists.     Most atheists I've ever met were so full of themselves they couldn't admit any God knew more than them.   Just saying :)
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 5:03:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Just pretend they are Russian, and go about your business.  One is as intelligible as the other, unless you can speak Russ.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, it's just the opposite for polyglots and anyone with the smallest linguistics background. You don't have to know a language to be able to identify it as a real language. If someone were to speak Aramaic or some unknown ancient language because the spirit came into them, it would be relatively plain that it were a real language. You could record it and linguists could show it was an actual language by going over the tapes.

I've never heard any recordings of speaking in tongues that sounded like foreign languages, only gibberish. I've never seen scientific support for its being languages. The simple answer seems to be that this phenomenon is different from the speaking in tongues spoken of in the bible.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 5:13:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
These threads never fail to bring out the atheists.     Most atheists I've ever met were so full of themselves they couldn't admit any God knew more than them.   Just saying :)
View Quote

Fair enough, but aren't Christians told by their god to be discerning and to question whether things are truly his will?

Why would Christians be defensive if other Christians ask "is this true? Is this good for Christians?" and conclude that it's not, based on reading the bible and using their best judgement (aided and informed by their faith, of course).

It's suspicious when any act is defended by people threatening dissenters with hell if they don't agree. There's trying to teach, persuade and lead, and then there's threats and bullying. You don't have to be Christian to discern what seems decent and what seems icky.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 6:12:32 AM EDT
[#33]
Speaking in tongues person is an attention whore in my book. Hey look at me, I sound dumber than Simple Jack.  Or just part of the show. I always thought it was funny how the speaking in tongues person always found a voice right before the pastor sent the offering plate around.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 6:35:11 AM EDT
[#34]

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 6:36:47 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

People in the Bible who "spoke in tongues" were supposed to be speaking actual languages that were understood by others in the crowds that spoke those languages.  They weren't speaking some "heavenly language" that sounds a lot like gibberish.  The miracle was said to be that people who didn't know these foreign languages were speaking them fluently.  

View Quote
Bingo.

From linguistic studies, the structure of the "language" of the "speaking in tongues" crowd does not resemble a language, rather, linguistically it seems exactly like nonsensical sounds thrown together.

Doesn't disprove their religion, but it does disprove the fact that the individual people doing it are experiencing anything close to what was described in the bible.

Don't believe me? Take it from a christian website then: http://bible-truth.org/TonguesWhatisGoingOn.html

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 6:40:09 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View Quote
That perfectly describes many Christians who frequent these threads.

Such people take "god is infallible" to mean "my understanding of god is infallible".

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 6:58:06 AM EDT
[#37]
My wife's mother's folks belonged to a church where they did that.  Going to funerals with them was a strange experience.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 6:59:08 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Blade at 45 degrees?
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 7:06:07 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I will gladly walk up to someone spouting gibberish and tell them they're being foolish.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great idea, why don't these people who are condemning Speaking in Tongues go experience it and condemn it face to face?

I will gladly walk up to someone spouting gibberish and tell them they're being foolish.

Yep...
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 7:08:22 AM EDT
[#40]
I've seen people converse in tongues while the Holy Ghost was in them.
I've also seen blue lightning flash from the hand of someone speaking in tongues as they laid hands on another in prayer.
Because you do not understand it or have never experienced it does not mean it doesn't happen or does not exist.
Is some of it hysterical religion?
Probably but many times it is the power of the Holy Spirit being manifested in those who pray and the need for it is there.
I have never personally experienced speaking in tongues but I will not condemn as fake those that have or will
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 7:12:15 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I've also seen blue lightning flash from the hand of someone speaking in tongues as they laid hands on another in prayer.
Because you do not understand it or have never experienced it does not mean it doesn't happen or does not exist.
Probably but many times it is the power of the Holy Spirit being manifested in those who pray and the need for it is there.
I have never personally experienced speaking in tongues but I will not condemn as fake those that have or will
View Quote

I just want to clarify:  Do you know what static electricity is?

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 7:16:21 AM EDT
[#42]
View Quote

OMG
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 7:22:07 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Yep...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great idea, why don't these people who are condemning Speaking in Tongues go experience it and condemn it face to face?

Yep...

I wouldn't. I'm not about to seek anyone out in their own church (or loved one's hospital room) and tell them they're being goofy. They're not asking for input, so they can just do their thing.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 7:34:41 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wait a sec...are you a Christian or a Jedi?
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 7:35:21 AM EDT
[#45]
It's a bunch of jibberish
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 7:43:39 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Does Bigfoot have the ability to speak in tongues?

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 7:54:07 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

OK.  How does the Holy Spirit manifest itself in your life, and/or in your Church?  

Or does it?
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 7:55:52 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

OK.  How does the Holy Spirit manifest itself in your life, and/or in your Church?  

Or does it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or does it?

I guarantee you those people, probably Pentacosts, had no idea what they were saying when they were speaking in tongues.

How can you possible communicate with God that way? What about reading God's word and prayer?
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 7:58:57 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Prayer in any form should not be invoking fear if it is right with God.

Just for me.. and not insult anyone... I thought when the Apostles spoke in tongues it was in Jerusalem and in languages that could be understood by the visiting foreigners. It would be like me suddenly being able to speak fluent

French without training.

I have never been able to get my head around the gibberish noise stuff.

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 8:05:45 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Bingo.

From linguistic studies, the structure of the "language" of the "speaking in tongues" crowd does not resemble a language, rather, linguistically it seems exactly like nonsensical sounds thrown together.

Doesn't disprove their religion, but it does disprove the fact that the individual people doing it are experiencing anything close to what was described in the bible.

Don't believe me? Take it from a christian website then: http://bible-truth.org/TonguesWhatisGoingOn.html

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
People in the Bible who "spoke in tongues" were supposed to be speaking actual languages that were understood by others in the crowds that spoke those languages.  They weren't speaking some "heavenly language" that sounds a lot like gibberish.  The miracle was said to be that people who didn't know these foreign languages were speaking them fluently.  
Bingo.

Thank you so much for trying to steer us straight--even though you yourself deny the divinity of Christ.  (lol).
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top