Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/5/2015 10:07:53 PM EDT

U.S. futures are sharply lower after the Greek vote, and CNBC will have live coverage of the aftermath tonight at 8 p.m. ET.

The Greek people voted resoundingly on Sunday to reject proposals from their European creditors.

S&P 500 futures fell 1.5 percent in early trading after 6 p.m. ET (2200 GMT).

Once the magnitude of the Greek vote became clear, the euro began falling against other major currencies, and European stock futures sank (led by a 4 percent decline for the benchmark German DAX).
View Quote

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102752199

Thoughts?

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:12:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Where are those motorcycle body kits going to come from now?

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:13:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Are we following china's lead?
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:21:38 PM EDT
[#3]
1.5% isn't that much.  It could easily recover that by the end on Monday.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:23:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I enjoyed the 2% discount I got a couple of weeks ago. I'll take another.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:26:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Greece will come out better than the EU who financed them when they default lol
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:27:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

U.S. futures are sharply lower after the Greek vote, and CNBC will have live coverage of the aftermath tonight at 8 p.m. ET.

The Greek people voted resoundingly on Sunday to reject proposals from their European creditors.

Once the magnitude of the Greek vote became clear, the euro began falling against other major currencies, and European stock futures sank (led by a 4 percent decline for the benchmark German DAX).
View Quote

Thoughts?

View Quote

the S&P500 is up 11.81% over the last 12 months.  

it's called "regression to the mean".

this isn't complicated, folks.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:33:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Well everyone's market is taking a hit from this. Because Europe is a major buyer and seller of things, and if Europe experiences economic instability than the reliability of it being there to buy and sell you things at the same or better price next year goes down.

What I've heard from people wiser than I in these matters is that Greece has poor export infrastructure. That is, they make electrical and machinery products that could be competitive but they're not so good at getting it to the rest of the european market, they don't have the business groups that other countries do for this purpose, so they make less sales so they have less jobs.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:34:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Is anybody screaming Jade Helm Conspiracy yet

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:35:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:37:19 PM EDT
[#10]
China's equities looking pretty shaky.  Euro on the ropes with a lot of uncertainty.

Meanwhile, the US doesn't have any bad news that is new (wage stagnation, workforce participation, low rates).  While I expect a short term drop, we are the best equities market right now.  Where else can you park your money right now and expect any return?
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:38:25 PM EDT
[#11]

Does this mean the end of the feta cheese salad days?

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:39:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

ar-jedi

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thoughts?

ar-jedi

I'm sure it is.  I'm not in to market trends, but I can gather something from that.  

I'm not that familiar with how Greece is going to be viewed on the market.  It looks like EU, and their markets, are going to take a hit. I'm not sure if there's a "trigger" point there, a worry of this having a domino effect. You can hear "doom and gloom" to "already factored in to the market" depending on where you look....

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:39:58 PM EDT
[#13]
These things run in cycles,  I'm sure it will all pan out and be all good again in due time

I predict the Dow Jones Industrial down 247.43 points tomorrow at close
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:44:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Assuming they fix the issues with tax evasion and overspending the next time around....
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:45:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Does this mean the end of the feta cheese salad days?

View Quote

Peak Gyros.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:51:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
These things run in cycles,  I'm sure it will all pan out and be all good again in due time  

View Quote

125 down.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 11:01:02 PM EDT
[#17]
excuse for a correction,  i dont care about greece, i buy stocks every week
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 11:02:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Gym007 thread.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 11:05:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'm sure it is.  I'm not in to market trends, but I can gather something from that.  

I'm not that familiar with how Greece is going to be viewed on the market.  It looks like EU, and their markets, are going to take a hit. I'm not sure if there's a "trigger" point there, a worry of this having a domino effect. You can hear "doom and gloom" to "already factored in to the market" depending on where you look....

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thoughts?

ar-jedi

"Doom and gloom" is big business.
[#20]
Double
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thoughts?

View Quote

If the greeks don't pay their debt - if they try a currency change - I predict they will be invaded.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 11:12:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thoughts?

ar-jedi

the problem is not Greece per se.  

first, a reminder that the eurozone is made up of european countries that have adopted the euro.  not all european countries belong to the eurozone.  england, for example, is still on the british pound.  

the problem is that the EU and more specifically the eurozone has some inherently stronger economic players (e.g. Germany) and some inherently weaker economic players (e.g. Greece) .  there are a myriad of reasons for this differential and i'm not about to retype the detailed analyses made elsewhere.  but nonetheless, there exists a fundamental problem with the eurozone arrangement: while one of the initial goals was to make a regional currency to rival the USD in power and stability, the formation of the eurozone creates many secondary issues.  one such issue is that individual eurozone countries no longer have the means to control their internal money supply.

example: the USA slips into recession.  the government, via the Federal Reserve, lowers interest rates and injects money into the economy to promote borrowing and growth.  eventually, the economy starts firing on all cylinders.  perhaps it gets too hot, raising the specter of inflation. the Fed in turn increases interest rates and slows economic growth.  as you can see, having the levers on your money supply and interest rates can be very valuable when it comes to regulating the pace of your economy in search of the "goldilocks" state -- not too cold and not too hot.

as a member of the eurozone, Greece has no such levers.  Greece belongs to a communal system wherein the ECB (european central bank) administers money policy for the members of the eurozone.  the ECB is "stuck" trying to make "average" assessments for the benefit of ALL of the eurozone members.  so, Germany's economy is hot but Greece's economy is stagnant?  the ECB holds rates steady, which introduces the worry of inflation for Germany but more troublesome the problem of no growth for Greece.

Greece is not the only problem child with no levers and a poor economy.  

Spain, Portugal, Italy are others in the same situation.  they can not adjust their internal money rates to help bootstrap themselves.  so the German economy roars on, and Greece goes nowhere.  the danger now is "contagion" -- if Greece exits the eurozone, so could Spain, Portugal, and Italy in domino-like fashion over the next few years.  

the political question is what good is a financial collective if the member-nations keep dropping out?
the financial question is how does the "failure" of the euro destabilize european finances..

buy USD.
buy GLD.
sell China.
sell OIL.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 11:23:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

first, a reminder that the eurozone is made up of european countries that have adopted the euro.  not all european countries belong to the eurozone.  england, for example, is still on the british pound.  

the problem is that the EU and more specifically the eurozone has some inherently stronger economic players (e.g. Germany) and some inherently weaker economic players (e.g. Greece) .  there are a myriad of reasons for this differential and i'm not about to retype the detailed analyses made elsewhere.  but nonetheless, there exists a fundamental problem with the eurozone arrangement: while one of the initial goals was to make a regional currency to rival the USD in power and stability, the formation of the eurozone creates many secondary issues.  one such issue is that individual eurozone countries no longer have the means to control their internal money supply.

example: the USA slips into recession.  the government, via the Federal Reserve, lowers interest rates and injects money into the economy to promote borrowing and growth.  eventually, the economy starts firing on all cylinders.  perhaps it gets too hot, raising the specter of inflation. the Fed in turn increases interest rates and slows economic growth.  as you can see, having the levers on your money supply and interest rates can be very valuable when it comes to regulating the pace of your economy in search of the "goldilocks" state -- not too cold and not too hot.

as a member of the eurozone, Greece has no such levers.  Greece belongs to a communal system wherein the ECB (european central bank) administers money policy for the members of the eurozone.  the ECB is "stuck" trying to make "average" assessments for the benefit of ALL of the eurozone members.  so, Germany's economy is hot but Greece's economy is stagnant?  the ECB holds rates steady, which introduces the worry of inflation for Germany but more troublesome the problem of no growth for Greece.

Spain, Portugal, Italy are others in the same situation.  they can not adjust their internal money rates to help bootstrap themselves.  so the German economy roars on, and Greece goes nowhere.  the danger now is "contagion" -- if Greece exits the eurozone, so could Spain, Portugal, and Italy in domino-like fashion over the next few years.  

the political question is what good is a financial collective if the member-nations keep dropping out?
the financial question is how does the "failure" of the euro destabilize european finances..

buy USD.
buy GLD.
sell China.
sell OIL.

ar-jedi

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thoughts?

ar-jedi

buy USD.
buy GLD.
sell China.
sell OIL.

ar-jedi

Ok Mister I've had just about enough of your common sense in here... now let me get back to panicking in peace
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 11:26:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

buy USD.
buy GLD.
sell China.
sell OIL.

ar-jedi

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thoughts?

ar-jedi

buy USD.
buy GLD.
sell China.
sell OIL.

ar-jedi

I remember when some of my former Euro Trash friends were praising the Euro and how it would be the new world currency, and ultimately destroy the dollar.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 11:28:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I remember when some of my former Euro Trash friends were praising the Euro and how it would be the new world currency, and ultimately destroy the dollar.
View Quote

don't throw stones when you live in a glass house.  

how many states in the USA are essentially bankrupt due to pension obligations?

well, there you go.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 11:30:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

If the greeks don't pay their debt - if they try a currency change - I predict they will be invaded.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thoughts?

Did the Russians pull out all of their money?  They had quite a bit there, before the first crash.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:13:18 AM EDT
[#27]
I'm just in for the ride. It could get ugly or just be a bump in the road. If they leave the EU I don't think it would hurt them as much as it would Greece. I don't see German citizens willing to support Merkel giving Greeks money they won't pay back for very much longer. I personally would like to see what Greece would do if they left the EU. How do they keep up the gravy train? Do they bring back their own currency and go Zimbabwe. Personally I think the EU would be ok, but what goes on in Greece will be interesting/ what happens when socialism outpaces it's self.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:16:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

well, there you go.

ar-jedi

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

well, there you go.

ar-jedi

Yet the dollar is still at the top of the heap, and by a long shot.

While we have major problems the dollar is still head and shoulders above any feasible alternative.

Good to be an American.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:20:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

While we have major problems the dollar is still head and shoulders above any feasible alternative.
Good to be an American.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

well, there you go.

ar-jedi

Good to be an American.

you see the symmetry between bankrupt states in the USA and the current situation in the eurozone, right?

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:23:52 AM EDT
[#30]
I'm going to put some cash I'm a sock, then put it in a plastic bag and bury it in the yard.

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:29:06 AM EDT
[#31]
from watching the market for a few years... futures dont really mean much of anything.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:33:15 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

you see the symmetry between bankrupt states in the USA and the current situation in the eurozone, right?

ar-jedi

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

well, there you go.

ar-jedi

Good to be an American.

ar-jedi

Yes.

My point is simply that being the reserve currency is very much better than all other options.

The US of A would be much better off living within it's means but if you have to spend beyond your means then being able to print cash that is the standard of the world beats not being able to print cash that is the standard of the world.

We tax the world by being the reserve currency. It really is not fair but being born an American has real benefits.

I am damn glad I was born in this country, even with it's faults.

If you want to buy energy then you had better scrounge up some dollars. Energy sort of makes the world go around.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 1:08:49 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

well, there you go.

ar-jedi

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

well, there you go.

ar-jedi

All but six.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 1:21:33 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

All but six.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

well, there you go.

ar-jedi

All but six.

I live in Wyoming.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 1:36:51 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

buy USD.
buy GLD.
sell China.
sell OIL.

ar-jedi

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thoughts?

ar-jedi

buy USD.
buy GLD.
sell China.
sell OIL.

ar-jedi

good assessment
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 2:12:16 AM EDT
[#36]
They are trying hard in the media if they are leading the scare cycle with 1.5% predictions.  It'll be higher but this isn't the economic reckoning that some have been hoping for.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 2:14:33 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:"Doom and gloom" is big business.
View Quote

Not as big as the "valuations don't matter, this market's headed to the moon!!!" business.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 2:16:23 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Not as big as the "valuations don't matter, this market's headed to the moon!!!" business.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:"Doom and gloom" is big business.

Indeed.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 2:16:54 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thoughts?

By whom? With what Army? What are they going to take? Greece's unpaid bills?
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 2:19:30 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I'm just in for the ride. It could get ugly or just be a bump in the road. If they leave the EU I don't think it would hurt them as much as it would Greece. I don't see German citizens willing to support Merkel giving Greeks money they won't pay back for very much longer. I personally would like to see what Greece would do if they left the EU. How do they keep up the gravy train? Do they bring back their own currency and go Zimbabwe. Personally I think the EU would be ok, but what goes on in Greece will be interesting/ what happens when socialism outpaces it's self.
View Quote

Spain, Italy, Portugal could be next.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 2:20:40 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:the problem is that the EU and more specifically the eurozone has some inherently stronger economic players (e.g. Germany) and some inherently weaker economic players (e.g. Greece) .  there are a myriad of reasons for this differential and i'm not about to retype the detailed analyses made elsewhere.  but nonetheless, there exists a fundamental problem with the eurozone arrangement: while one of the initial goals was to make a regional currency to rival the USD in power and stability, the formation of the eurozone creates many secondary issues.  one such issue is that individual eurozone countries no longer have the means to control their internal money supply.
View Quote

The problem with this is that the Greeks, and everyone else for that matter, inherently has the greatest tool imaginable. They could spend always spend less than they take in and keep the surplus in a rainy day fund...and use THOSE funds to bail themselves out when there are the inevitable occasional recession. Pretending this tool doesn't exist and then claiming an inability to address crises after the fact is no excuse. The fact is that the Greeks spent to much money. That was the first and primary mistake. All of the "tools" that the talking heads on CNBC and the boys at the FRB etc. talk about are destructive in their own way, it's just a different kind of destruction than whatever crisis they are responding too. At BEST they are 'the least bad' alternative after the country has already made the fundamental mistake of spending themselves into oblivion. It would be infinitely superior, with no real downside, to spend less in the first place.

I do agree that the US is no better...at the state or federal level. When our debt bubble pops, however, all the tools and all the countries in the world won't be able to fix that epic fail. In a way, Greece is better than us. Sure they were wildly irresponsible, but they also knew their economy was relatively small and they might be able to get a bailout from somewhere. We spend ourselves to death knowing full well that no bailout is even possible.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 2:22:46 AM EDT
[#42]
Dear Apple,
This is my second fucking letter. Please buy Greece.
Be Well,
Idaho.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 2:44:43 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thoughts?

Take?  What makes you think a foreign invader would take something?

The purpose will be to establish a central bank and put Greece on a currency that reinforces confidence.

By whom is a great question.  I predict Turkey.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 2:55:35 AM EDT
[#44]
I wonder......

Anymore M1s and HXP ammo coming?

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 8:37:25 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Gym007 thread.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 8:38:26 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

buy USD.
buy GLD.
sell China.
sell OIL.

ar-jedi

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thoughts?

ar-jedi

buy USD.
buy GLD.
sell China.
sell OIL.

ar-jedi

Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 8:40:35 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I'm going to put some cash I'm a sock, then put it in a plastic bag and bury it in the yard.

View Quote

Well, nobody should try to steal your smelly money.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 8:41:23 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Needs more "87" in your prediction...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top