Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 2:32:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Way too damned expensive.
View Quote

Yep. And the employees are damned retards/fudds spitting out terrible advice when it comes to guns
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 2:33:32 AM EDT
[#2]
A couple hour drive for me as well. If you go, check out their library, the used gun section. I have found a couple fantastic deals on firearms.
Otherwise, their staff are a bunch of clueless rejects that don't know the first thing about ballistics, quality, care, strippers and go straight to the Glock section to fap.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 2:36:18 AM EDT
[#3]
If the choice was between driving 3 hours to go the Cabela's, Bass Pro or Gander, I would probably stay home.

Sportsman's Warehouse is better than all of the above as far as prices are concerned.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 2:37:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The drive up to Prairie is nice and not far from where you are, it is a nice drive and Cabelas is kinda cool. Keep going up the road a few miles to a place called Spring Lake Inn and enjoy a delicious burger in a cool bar. Great food. And go to Valley fish store, it is cool. The bridge over the river at Marquette is cool and go through Guttenberg.  It is worth the drive and makes a nice day trip, we do it often. That is how I found this birdhouse in Guttenberg.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b238/sd0324/042.jpg
View Quote

FYI, that isn't a birdhouse.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:34:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
A couple hour drive for me as well. If you go, check out their library, the used gun section. I have found a couple fantastic deals on firearms.
Otherwise, their staff are a bunch of clueless rejects that don't know the first thing about ballistics, quality, care, strippers and go straight to the Glock section to fap.
View Quote

I have NEVER seen a bargain in the gun library, not saying you haven't, just my experience.

PTR-91 G.I. edition $1299

Colt Python, $3,000

Winchester  94 30-30, nothing special about it $995

Colt Mark IV Series 70, $2,000
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 10:24:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Academy Sports and outdoors >>> Cabelas
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 10:31:09 AM EDT
[#7]
I wouldnt drive 3 hours for any store.

My cabelas is hit or miss when it comes to prices. Sometimes they have good deals, other times they are a rip off.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 11:01:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Did you buy it all?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Did you buy it all?

No

Over a 48 hour period of time, this was my final score:

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 11:12:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Meh.  If you've never been to one, and you like hunting/fishing and you like wandering around in a giant sporting goods store and you have the time, the money and  . . .

I guess what I'm saying is that the one time I drove from Cincinnati to Michigan just to go to Cabela's, I had fun.  

I wanted to buy some decoys that no one had locally, I wanted to check out a Cabela's, I like road trips, and I had the time to do it.  So, yeah.  Maybe I'm a bit off.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 11:13:37 AM EDT
[#10]
They usually have plinking 9, like Herter's or federal at a decent price ($12/box +/-). I pretty much stopped buying 22 there since they jacked the price and I'm sitting on "enough." I wouldn't drive more than an hour for one. The nearest one to me is about 4-5 miles, so I've still parted with plent of $$$ there.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 11:15:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yep. And the employees are damned retards/fudds spitting out terrible advice when it comes to guns
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I heard one recommend a Judge, so there's some truth to that.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 11:19:44 AM EDT
[#12]
I like Scheel's better
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 11:21:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Cabelas is great.  Their prices aren't cheap, but their selection is fantastic, especially ammo, in my experience.
View Quote

I found the ammo selection at my nearest one to be lackluster at best. Easier and cheaper to buy online.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 11:23:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Very good service I experinced.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 11:25:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The Cabelas north of Ft Worth is something to see, but I can't see driving 3 hours to see it....more than once anyway.

It's pretty impressive with a J-3 Cub hanging from the ceiling, lots of life-mounts of game animals in dioramas and fish ponds in the dioramas. It's kind of a Disneyland for outdoor nuts...but their prices are fairly steep. It's about the only place in this area where you can get an elk steak sammich.

http://img.groundspeak.com/waymarking/display/bdbb5728-8526-4f62-809c-2b517161b7a0.jpg

http://cra-architects.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/DSC0506.final_.jpg

http://cra-architects.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/DSC7677.final_.jpg
View Quote

Way better than our's in PDC
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 11:25:52 AM EDT
[#16]
It's a neat place that's generally pretty overpriced and occasionally has good sales/deals.

I've bought many reasonably to good-priced used guns there, but for every time I have done that, there's 10 visits where I buy little to nothing. They sometime have good deals on ammo, too. Last time I was there, I bought 2 "dry boxes" that were bigger then 50 cal ammo cans, for $7.99/ea.

I wouldn't drive 3 hours to one, unless it was for curiosity only.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 11:35:10 AM EDT
[#17]
If you need something specific and don't like REI, then you might like it since they sell a lot of name brand gear and their own brand too which is usually pretty nice.

I'd rather get stuff at REI and use my 20% off coupons for the most part.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 11:37:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

We don't have a Bass Pro either We were thinking of a day trip to the Cabelas and maybe continuing to Mall of America, but eh. We aren't sure if it is worth it or not. Best we have locally is a Sheels - which is about like a double Gander Mtn I guess would be the best description.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's a giant clothing store with some hunting and fishing equipment for sale, just like Bass Pro.  Don't drive three hours.

We don't have a Bass Pro either We were thinking of a day trip to the Cabelas and maybe continuing to Mall of America, but eh. We aren't sure if it is worth it or not. Best we have locally is a Sheels - which is about like a double Gander Mtn I guess would be the best description.

Well, if you've never been to one...then, yeah, it's worth the trip.  Especially if you're planning other places to go as well.  Just the volume of trophy mounts, fish tank, and bronze displays they have at their stores makes it worth going at least once.  It's not everywhere you can see a full elephant mount or an indoor "mountain" with over 50 different species displayed.  

Ammo and gun prices are kinda "meh", but typically their counter staff are fairly knowledgeable; especially compared to other big retailers.  Most have a used gun section, and from what I understand you can make an offer and if it's reasonable, they are known to take it.  They do run sales on various gear so you can definitely find some bargains.  Also, check the online prices for Cabela's.  Their in-store prices are sometimes higher, but they will honor the online sale price if you ask.  
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 11:39:12 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Neat stuff, but overpriced. There's one about an hour and twenty minutes from me. I only stop by there if I'm already in the area for some other reason.

View Quote

Tualatin?

I drive past that every day for my commute.

Sometimes it takes me a little longer than normal to get home in the evening.

Nick
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 11:41:27 AM EDT
[#20]
They had brand new 50cal ammo cans on sale for $15 the other day.  I grabbed 2 of them.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 11:43:56 AM EDT
[#21]
There's one about a half hour from me. I stop by a few times every year, sometimes in the winter I'll go just for something to do.

They have a pretty decent selection of guns to fondle, and sometimes they do have good prices on stuff but usually everything is at MSRP. Used guns are overpriced to the point of being silly most of the time, but not always.  Tons of clothes.

One thing I really do appreciate is that they tend to keep oddball caliber ammo in stock.  It's not easy to find .50AE, .45 Colt or .45-70 locally.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 11:46:38 AM EDT
[#22]
The one redeeming quality is that Cabela's stands behind their brand of products.  I have exchanged items that went belly up after years of use without a problem.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 11:46:50 AM EDT
[#23]
They are fun to visit and see the mounts. If you are going to the main building in Ne then it's totally worth the drive. I don't know that I've ever bought anything from them, other then out of their bargain cave. Or some good online deals.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 11:54:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Going to a store such as that seeking advice was your first mistake.

They're  salesman.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top