User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:52:08 PM EDT
[#1]
They're in the storm drains.

Millions of 'em.

Inch thick, most places.

Hunt 'em by day, when they hide from the sun.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:54:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Mosquito's generally aren't the strongest flyers, they have to rest under leaves or in the grass, so go after where they rest.

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/bifen-it-p-226.html

Spray your trees, house, and lawn, lasts for about 1-2 maybe 3 months if you're lucky. Generally kills just about everything, so be careful as it'll kill bee's as well.
View Quote

I'll second this stuff. Works good for us and we live in the woods. good for 4-6 weeks for us, but we have a pond in the backyard, as do both next door neighbors. I put those skeeter donuts in our pond, I don't think the neighbors do. I tried to coordinate a neighborly effort to no avail. "It's too expensive", "I don't have the time", etc, etc,etc. But they'll bitch about the skeeters.

According to the DNR, skeeters can travel up to 1 square mile, I'm sure the wind factors in there too. So if you can't get your neighbors to help out, their skeeters can end up in your yard too. The Bifen IT works well tho.  ;)
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:59:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Do you have a foreclosed home with an abandoned swimming pool in your neighborhood? Those are the biggest mosquito breeders in urban settings.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:14:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Malathion.

It's about the only thing used for Mosquitoes.

Mosquitoes themselves are easy to kill, but the larvae keep hatching every day and the larvae is not easy to kill.  

Spray everything with Malathion every two or three days, spray the dogs, horses, cows, everything.

I usually do it with an airplane, but a backpack sprayer with work for smaller areas.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:15:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Google Mosquito Squad and get in touch with your local franchise.  It is 100% guaranteed to work for you.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:20:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Malathion. Spray the yard with a hose end sprayer
View Quote

YOu can buy a concentrate form at Home Depot, lowes, and maybe walmart. Mix in a 2 gallon sprayed, spray yard especially shady areas under trees. It works fine for me.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:26:34 PM EDT
[#7]
OP,

I spray this on my yard and I have virtually zero mosquitoes for 2-4 weeks.  I can't say enough good about it.  My raving about the stuff has convinced a half dozen or so guys from work to buy it, and they have all had similar results.   It also knocks down the ticks, crickets, and virtually every insect out there.  They claim it is safe enough to spray in your house.

I also put dunks in my pond.

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/bifen-it-p-226.html

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:33:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Malathion
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:34:50 PM EDT
[#9]
http://www.mimosq.org/default.html
Odds are that they aren't coming from your lot, if you've taken even a short look around your yard to dump containers holding water. I'm not sure about Michigan but in many city/counties/states you already pay taxes to someone who's job it is to find and control mosquitoes for you. I did it for a few summers when I was younger. Mosquito control is something that doesn't usually work on a lot by lot basis. Larger area inspections and control are typically best depending on the breed of mosquito.
Click that link and call their number tomorrow and see what is available for you. If you are already paying for it, might as well use it.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:35:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Air-fuel bomb is what u seek....
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:49:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Somebody else posted the drum fan with a screen on it, I would try that.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:55:50 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't know much about killing the mosquitos but I have a thermacell device and it really keeps them away from you when you are outside. Most effective thing I have ever found.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 11:05:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
bats or a fuckton of orb weaver spiders. spiders are cleaner.

you know what would be legit? a mosquito goalkeeper ciws, but instead of a Vulcan cannon it uses a burning laser. zap those little hellspawn in flight. maybe get four of them to traverse 90 degrees, set up a kill square. that would be epic.

Somebody made one a while back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKm8FolQ7jw

http://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk/aerospace/military/laser-bug-zapper-inches-to-market-

That's the shit right there. Yeah science!

Shut up and take my money. Seriously they should make it look like a mini CIWS. Let's eradicate those motherfuckers!
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 11:13:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Have you considered building a screen enclosure for your deck/patio?  That's the most foolproof method I know of to keep the skeeters at bay.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 1:09:06 AM EDT
[#15]
It's worse in the Barry co boonies.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 8:02:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 10:31:27 AM EDT
[#17]
This is in my wheelhouse.  

Can you describe what they look like or post a decent picture of them?

They can be from one of the general cTagories.
Floodwater ( POSSIBLE)
Container
Tidal
Tree hole
Perturbans ( cat tails).
Septic water ( culex are associated with sone of the worst disease transmission)

Treatment strategies will differ depr du g on the problem.  

Police up your yard for anything from a bottle top to flower pot holders.  This can generally tell us where to start looking.  90% of mosquito problems are within 100ft of your back door.  

Clean your gutters
Leaky faucets
Boats (even ones with covers)
Dog. Dishes forgotten under the porch

Larvae can exist anywhere.  Breeding can happen in anything bigger than a bottle top.  

Now for solutions.  
223 is fine but 308 might do better for those northern buggers

Eliminate the sources first.  The. You can excel use control options.  
Bifen, deltamethrin,   It is a barrier and kills what is present and leaves a treatment barrier for up to 30 days.  
This will be the next most effective treatment after eliminating the source.  
PM me and you can text me pictures of what they look like.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 10:44:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I'll start googling that method.

Google says bug-zappers don't work for Mosquitos also. That was my first thought.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Propane skeeter lure and traps will help clear a local zone.  Buy as many as you can afford, they're making enough mosquitoes to fill whatever you have.

I'll start googling that method.

Google says bug-zappers don't work for Mosquitos also. That was my first thought.

Not a zapper. We have two mosquito magnets. The pro version. When we fired them up we stood there and watched the critters go straight to them and get sucked up. They die in the bag and them you empty the bag. I leave the bag in the sun for a little while to make sure they are all dead. It was astonishing how many mosquitoes would be in the bag. Literally cup fulls of them

eta can't spell
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 10:46:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 10:46:21 AM EDT
[#20]
It is amazing what a small amount of Diesel fuel will kill in a body of water.  Thin film on the top wipes skeeters out.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 10:51:11 AM EDT
[#21]
ITT: The same people that bitch about groundwater contamination and runoff are coating their yards in copious amounts of poison
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 10:53:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
It is amazing what a small amount of Diesel fuel will kill in a body of water.  Thin film on the top wipes skeeters out.
View Quote

So would dawn detergent and it'd be less poisonous. But keep dumping petrol into the water supply awesome solutions.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 2:12:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 2:46:17 AM EDT
[#24]
I am as well, and agree whole heartedly.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 2:55:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Sadly there is no cure.

I'm going through a can of spray every two days.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 3:02:40 AM EDT
[#26]

This with pyrethreins and a good mask rated for insecticides!  Also do it in the early morning so there is no breeze, or at dusk with no wind.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 3:12:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Get rid of all standing water (get your neighbors to help out in their lots)

Propane mosquito lures/traps

They make bio-friendly control pellets that basically prevent the larvae from maturing, that you toss into ponds / other pools that you can't empty of standing water.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 3:39:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
nothing for lasting results

if you use enough

Mustang Max will kill almost anything

but ...

its some nasty shit to be messing with

View Quote

At 4oz to the acre, nothing moves for 3-4 days.
It's RUP, so it's out.

MMaxx is actually quite safe for Mammals.
Just remember to wash your damn hands before taking a piss.

The EPA took our Thiodan/Endosulfin away....now THAT shit was evil.
I miss it.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top