Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 7:00:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Should i add that i'm watching mad max 2 right now?

Also trucks are all registered as commercial vehicles in CA.

So it will still be registered as a Excursion.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 7:00:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Your stuck with geting a regular cab long bed at 137" WB
Or extended cab short bed at 141" WB  The short bed will require a sliding hitch to be able to make tight turns.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
just buy a SD and be done with it.

I want a Short wheel base.

I think it would be a cool project vehicle.
They make SD's with short wheelbases.    

Or extended cab short bed at 141" WB  The short bed will require a sliding hitch to be able to make tight turns.

what do you think your excersion will require to clear the cab?
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 7:03:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 7:03:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
just buy a SD and be done with it.

I want a Short wheel base.

I think it would be a cool project vehicle.
They make SD's with short wheelbases.    

Did you not read that the rear doors will be chopped at where the glass begins?
So it will like like a  regular cab long bed but with half doors.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 7:06:19 PM EDT
[#5]
So you live in Bakersfield, KY
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 7:07:04 PM EDT
[#6]

That is why you need a sliding hitch with a short bed.
Manual ones are a pain.
Auto ones take a lot of bed room and weigh a ton and are pricey.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 7:07:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So you live in Bakersfield, KY ??
View Quote

CA
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 7:07:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Do you actually have any experience doing this?  Or with the finishing work you'll have to do to keep it from being a rusty piece of shit?  

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 7:09:11 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

40 foot 5th wheel toyhauler
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

what kind of trailer are you towing anyways?

How much does it weigh?  The Excursion apparently caps around 11k lbs (2005) for a V-10. So the dry weight alone of most of the nicer toy haulers could exceed the towing capacity of an Excursion.

Same year F-350 can haul 13K, and has a MUCH higher gross vehicle rating which means that whatever you pack in the the vehicle and tongue weight can be higher.

The Excursion has Gross weight allowing basically 1670 lbs of people, cargo, and the weight of the trailer over it's base weight.  Just looking up tongue weights of some 40' toy haulers, you could very well BLOW past that not even trying with the trailer alone.

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 7:09:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 7:10:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Do you actually have any experience doing this?  Or with the finishing work you'll have to do to keep it from being a rusty piece of shit?  

View Quote

I will probably do the rough cutting with a sawzall and have a body shop finish it.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 7:14:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
How much does it weigh?  The Excursion apparently caps around 11k lbs (2005) for a V-10. So the dry weight alone of most of the nicer toy haulers could exceed the towing capacity of an Excursion.

Same year F-350 can haul 13K, and has a MUCH higher gross vehicle rating which means that whatever you pack in the the vehicle and tongue weight can be higher.

The Excursion has Gross weight allowing basically 1670 lbs of people, cargo, and the weight of the trailer over it's base weight.  Just looking up tongue weights of some 40' toy haulers, you could very well BLOW past that not even trying with the trailer alone.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

4.30 or lower gears will go in plus F350 front and rear springs and airbags.
Did you not read it's the same frame  and rear axle as a F250 /350?
Front axle is a dana 50 with is the same as the front of a 250 until about 2004 or 2005 when the 250 got the same dana 60 as a 350
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 7:16:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

So you understand where the 5th wheel needs to sit?  Over the axle?  

Alright.  You sold me.  Redneck on!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is why you need a sliding hitch with a short bed.
Manual ones are a pain.
Auto ones take a lot of bed room and weigh a ton and are pricey.

So you understand where the 5th wheel needs to sit?  Over the axle?  

Alright.  You sold me.  Redneck on!  

Yes i put mine in my 350 it sits almost exactly 2" in front of the rear axle.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 7:16:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

troll thread
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 7:17:45 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Front axle is a dana 50 with is the same as the front of a 250 until about 2004 or 2005 when the 250 got the same dana 60 as a 350
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

you've got to be fucking kidding me.  

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 7:18:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 7:18:43 PM EDT
[#17]
I declare this thread under "Poe's law".
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 7:20:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm serious.
Jeremy Clarkson inspired me.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 7:20:54 PM EDT
[#19]
It'll be more expensive to pay somebody to destroy the excursion and rebuild it to whatever ghetto meth head idea you have than it would be to just buy another truck. Then sell the excursion
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 7:21:16 PM EDT
[#20]
You will completely ruin the driveability, and stability of the vehicle. You will have leaks when it rains, the tires will wear unevenly, basically there will be so many problems you'll wind up kicking yourself for such an asinine decision. Just being real with you.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 7:26:19 PM EDT
[#21]
OP, Pay be 25K dollars and I'll kick the back window out of an F-350 for you, cut a hole and rig a soft top, then you'll have exactly what you want!
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 7:30:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
You will completely ruin the driveability, and stability of the vehicle. You will have leaks when it rains, the tires will wear unevenly, basically there will be so many problems you'll wind up kicking yourself for such an asinine decision. Just being real with you.
View Quote

How so when i'm not changing anything related to the frame? Same frame as a regular cab long bed SuperDuty.
It doesn't rain in CA.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 7:32:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
OP, Pay be 25K dollars and I'll kick the back window out of an F-350 for you, cut a hole and rig a soft top, then you'll have exactly what you want!
View Quote

I think it would be harder to add a seat to a Regular cab long bed plus you wont have those cool rear half doors.
Registration will still be expensive in CA.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 7:33:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 7:36:13 PM EDT
[#25]
I will say one of the coolest 5th wheel haulers I ever saw was one an old neighbor had...

It was an e350 centurion
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 7:36:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 7:38:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I will say one of the coolest 5th wheel haulers I ever saw was one an old neighbor had...

It was an e350 centurion
View Quote

Doubt it was 4wd.

Speaking of hauler vans.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32kK7lQZSks

That guy had a dream and i bet there was a lot of haters.

Seen at lake mead and Boulder City, NV a bunch of times.

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 7:43:19 PM EDT
[#28]
You do realize that the Excursion and F250 do not share the same frame right? Not even close.

On the Excursion, everything behind the end of the front doors is substantially different than an F250.  It only shares the length, but none of the crossmembers are the same, the fuel tank location is different, it has curves and dips around the axle and rear cargo area and is not nearly as stiff as the SD.  You wont be able to find a drop in 5th wheel hitch for the Excursion because the frame is different + you are going to have to try to significantly reinforce it which is going to be a pain because of the differences under there.  Even the rear hitches are not interchangeable between the 2.

An Excursion is not just an F250 with an enclosed cargo area. The wheel bases are the same only because of assembly line convenience since the Excursion was built on the SD line 1 out of 4 weeks in a month.

The rear of the Excursion was made of cheapo materials to keep the weight down.  The rear barn doors and hatch are all fiberglass from the factory and the sheetmetal is paper thin back there.

<-----  Previous Excursion owner
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 7:44:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I will probably do the rough cutting with a sawzall and have a body shop finish it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm going to be the dissenting voice and say go for it.

HOWEVER, I am going to caution against doing any of the cutting/body work yourself if you are going to have someone else finish the job.

Let them have it from start to finish.  Any money you will save by doing the initial destruction will be absorbed when they have to fix it.  I am not implying you can't/won't do a competent job, the where, why, and how of what will be cut off should be handled by the people that actually have to provide a finished product.

And, take whatever number you think is the budget, and triple it.  That is the reality of restoration/modification.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 7:46:57 PM EDT
[#30]
op, you should consider doing the same thing but with a subaru forester. much more rewarding to pull that off and they would probably make a lifetime movie about it.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 7:52:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
op, you should consider doing the same thing but with a subaru forester. much more rewarding to pull that off and they would probably make a lifetime movie about it.
View Quote

Someone did it with a VW bug.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56XL0TysIn0
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 7:54:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 7:59:27 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Doubt it was 4wd.

Speaking of hauler vans.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It was an e350 centurion

Doubt it was 4wd.

Speaking of hauler vans.

4wd...

hell I bet it would be easier, and cheaper, to drop 4 wheel drive in an old centurion than it will be to chop then fix everything on an excursion...
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:12:37 PM EDT
[#34]
See if you can find a hitch buddy...I don't think the company is in business anymore...something about ripping receivers off

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:22:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Excursions come with d50 fronts as well, they are pretty anemic when it comes to 40 trailers;  OP is trolling.

Prove me wrong, throw down the greenbacks and break out the sawzall....
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:22:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
See if you can find a hitch buddy...I don't think the company is in business anymore...something about ripping receivers off

http://www.tiny1.net/hitchbuddy.jpg
View Quote

I don't think that will give you a tight turning radius.

Then where do you store that POS when your not using it?
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:26:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Excursions come with d50 fronts as well, they are pretty anemic when it comes to 40 trailers;  OP is trolling.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

250's also come with D50 fronts up until about 2004/2005.

Plenty of people with pulling with the ford V10 and it is also in many millions of motorhomes. Going up mountains is a bit slow going.
Faster then the 2 weeks or so your diesel needs new injectors of has a bad pump.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:29:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.tiny1.net/hitchbuddy.jpg

I bet you could turn ok with it...backing up would be a bitch...store it under the 5th wheel?
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:29:49 PM EDT
[#39]
See what Archtaan wrote.

Nailed it.

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:42:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

CA
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So you live in Bakersfield, KY ??

CA

Seems like a shitload of wasted money for something you will use to tow 1k per year.  The amount of money wasted creating this thing would buy a very nice low mile ford v10 or gm 8.1 ccsb with an allison transmission, and the superglide hitch with plenty to spare.  I'm partial to the 8.1/Allison combo.  Neither one is going to be much fun pulling a heavy assed 40foot toy hauler up a grade or into a wind.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:45:52 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Don't own one yet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Sell the excursion, buy a gas f-350

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Don't own one yet.

Want to save some $$$?  Get an econoline and build it on that.  

They have the same headlights, so the frames must be the same.

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:59:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Thought you might need some inspiration
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:30:23 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Plenty of people with pulling with the ford V10 and it is also in many millions of motorhomes. Going up mountains is a bit slow going.

Faster then the 2 weeks or so your diesel needs new injectors of has a bad pump.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:snip

Nice subject change.  Poor argument form though.

Like he said, put up the final product.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:39:15 PM EDT
[#44]
That's going to look like a whores nightmare
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:48:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:53:14 PM EDT
[#46]
I don't know why GD shits all over these great ideas....
The OP needs to FO, post pics of the build and the subsequent tow.....
What could possibly go wrong?
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:58:23 PM EDT
[#47]
I haven't read all three pages... so sorry if it has been said

I'm guessing you haven't pulled a fifth wheel much,  you "need" the longer bed for cab clearance while making tight turns.   Yes, you can do it with a short bed truck... and they even make fancy slider hitches too that give you greater turning angle.   However, I've seen a lot of short bed cabs smacked in and often because the owner was being too lazy to unlock previously mentioned slider hitch.

Buy the proper tool for the job
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:00:28 PM EDT
[#48]
If there is a God he has to make the OP do this.

Please.  I beg you.  This is the best idea I've ever heard.  You're a genius.  Please, please, please do this.

I'm jealous I didn't think of it first.

Also, we will all happily give you advice.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:06:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just make sure you have 2.73's in the rear for good MPG and then put the 4.30 in the front for towing power only when needed!
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:10:27 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Just make sure you have 2.73's in the rear for good MPG and then put the 4.30 in the front for towing power only when needed!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Outstanding idea!  It fits the OP's MO of unconventional perfectly!

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top