Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 7/5/2015 10:22:04 AM EDT
Source

I can't see the video but I have to question landing on a beach with lots of people around.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:24:09 AM EDT
[#1]
In before the guy ranting about "rich guys" and their "elitist toys" who should kill themselves by ditching in the water.

IIRC that was quite a purse-swinging thread a while back.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:24:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Got to do what you've got to do.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:26:39 AM EDT
[#3]
I like how the guys are just sitting there playing volleyball like nothing's amiss... until the plane flips the fuck over, then they seem to act like "hey, this is not a normal thing!"
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:27:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Other than the kid getting a minor conk on the head, it was a good landing.  The pilot walked away uninjured.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:27:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Any landing you can walk away from........
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:27:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Overhyped.

Textbook emergency landing.. If the surf had not come in he would not have flipped over.

More crowded of a crash sight than I would have picked, but he may not have had a choice
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:28:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In before the guy ranting about "rich guys" and their "elitist toys" who should kill themselves by ditching in the water.

View Quote

It's a no win with GD, in that thread he ditched in the water and killed someone.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:31:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Prop wasn't turning, good job by the pilot.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:38:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Dumbass reporters. If you hit someone the spot you landed wasn't clear.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:38:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It's a no win with GD, in that thread he ditched in the water and killed someone.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, look how deep the water is!

Fuck Kokomoor and RIP to Ommy and Oceana.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:40:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Source

I can't see the video but I have to question landing on a beach with lots of people around.
View Quote

It looked like he made an effort to avoid the people.  The beach was empty where he touched down, and he steered into the water.

Why don't you help the dupe police have an easy day, and fix your title.  It's a beach.  Nobody is going to search for "beachy".
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:45:17 AM EDT
[#12]
RarestRX, you are absolutely correct
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:54:47 AM EDT
[#13]
What's a "beachy?"

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 11:03:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 11:13:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

http://a.abcnews.com/images/US/ap_fl_plane_crash_140727_16x9_992.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You know how tides work right, or was the NTSB report lying about the kid and her dad bring in the water?

But fuckall if I'm getting into it with you again, you were clueless then and obviously continue to remain so.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 11:21:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You know how tides work right, or was the NTSB report lying about the kid and her dad bring in the water?

But fuckall if I'm getting into it with you again, you were clueless then and obviously continue to remain so.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, you're so well informed:

Kokomoor considered landing in the water, but told the NTSB that he feared his plane would flip, so he chose landing on the beach instead.

http://www.wptv.com/news/state/father-daughter-killed-by-plane-on-florida-beach-ntsb-report-shows-pilot-never-saw-family

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 11:23:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Had a guy set a small cesna down 50' from me and I never knew.... Was working at Maresk pier 400 in Los Angeles..
The guy came in dead stick from right to left and set it down in the light tan colored sand on the lower tip...  
He touched down only 20-30' from the rocks / breakwater and was stopped in under a 100'...
I was working in the farthest lane out and didn't know anything had happened until the fire trucks and emergency equipment showed up in FULL force.. Fire boats too..

Aircraft was undamaged but the wing had to be removed so they could truck it out...
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 11:46:20 AM EDT
[#18]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, you're so well informed:

Kokomoor considered landing in the water, but told the NTSB that he feared his plane would flip, so he chose landing on the beach instead.

http://www.wptv.com/news/state/father-daughter-killed-by-plane-on-florida-beach-ntsb-report-shows-pilot-never-saw-family

First, I'm not hunting shit down on my phone,  second,  the initial report put them in the water third, let's find the actual ntsb report and not a news blurb.

Now if all the initial info was wrong,  I am big enough to admit I was wrong. However, 2 things remain, first, shit happens and once physics take over your just along for the ride. Second, why should I be emotionally wrapped up in the 2 that died and why are you? People die every day, I don't have the time, energy  or desire to care past a simple "Huh, that suck but whatever."  About 2 people,  3000 miles away, that I have never met (fuck, I don't even put any thought into family I never met).

Like I said, in just going off memory and am willing to admit I'm wrong beach vs. water,  but shit still happens and I still don't care. More importantly,  I'm not going to turn an offhand comment into another multi page fight.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 12:01:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

First, I'm not hunting shit down on my phone,  second,  the initial report put them in the water third, let's find the actual ntsb report and not a news blurb.

Now if all the initial info was wrong,  I am big enough to admit I was wrong. However, 2 things remain, first, shit happens and once physics take over your just along for the ride. Second, why should I be emotionally wrapped up in the 2 that died and why are you? People die every day, I don't have the time, energy  or desire to care past a simple "Huh, that suck but whatever."  About 2 people,  3000 miles away, that I have never met (fuck, I don't even put any thought into family I never met).

Like I said, in just going off memory and am willing to admit I'm wrong beach vs. water,  but shit still happens and I still don't care. More importantly,  I'm not going to turn an offhand comment into another multi page fight.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll do it for you.

THEY WERE IN THE WATER

http://www.ntsb.gov/_layouts/ntsb.aviation/brief.aspx?ev_id=20140727X14613&key=1

"The private pilot and the pilot-rated passenger were not injured; however, a father and his daughter in shallow water near the shoreline were fatally injured."

"The pilot saw groups of people along the beach, and attempted navigated around them. He then aimed for a spot where he thought there were no people, and landed in the water near the shoreline."

"At the time of the accident, the wife was near the shoreline, "catty-corner" to the water, with her husband and daughter about 10 to 15 feet directly behind her in about 2 ½ feet of water. The two had been standing, but bending to use strainers to collect shark teeth from the bottom."
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 12:27:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

The reason I was pissed because I can see myself and my daughter playing the surf, so I can relate.  

The other reason I was pissed is the pilot thought he could thread the needle between groups of people on the beach instead of ditching.

Why didn't he ditch in the water?

He was scared the plane would flip and his life would be in danger.

So, he decided to put other people's lives in danger.

Which is bullshit.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 12:33:10 PM EDT
[#21]
We have a guy here who landed his plane on a road after an in-flight problem.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 12:33:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Source

View Quote

I'm sure he would have loved to land on a nice, smooth runway... But that's kinda hard to do when your engine goes out and you're not near an airport.

At a certain point you just have to take a bite out of the shit sandwich and try to put it down where you're least likely to die.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 12:44:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The reason I was pissed because I can see myself and my daughter playing the surf, so I can relate.  

The other reason I was pissed is the pilot thought he could thread the needle between groups of people on the beach instead of ditching.

Which is bullshit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which is bullshit.

Address ske's post.

I have played with my kids on the beach too, but shit happens in this imperfect world, it sucks, but bad shit happens and that's just that.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 12:44:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Your first duty as a pilot is to make sure that you and your passengers if you have any make it out alive in an emergency. What happened was tragic, but there's nothing anyone could have done.

On a fixed gear aircraft, if you ditch in the water, you're gonna be cartwheeling the second your gear digs in. Cartwheel fast enough and you get knocked out by G forces or the aircraft gets ripped apart, and you wake up disoriented, upside down, and with no way out... Or you don't wake up at all.

He took a bite out of the shit sandwich, and unfortunately someone else got killed. It's not like he aimed for them. Hell, he probably didn't even see them. Downward visibility sucks close to the ground.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 12:53:38 PM EDT
[#25]
If that was my son , I would dragged that pilot out of the plane and punch him in his face.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 12:56:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Ban sand castles..... its for the children of course
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 12:56:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
If that was my son , I would dragged that pilot out of the plane and punch him in his face.
View Quote

And then you go to jail for assault and battery, and he sues you and buys a new airplane with the winnings.

That sure solved the situation!
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 12:57:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

That was fun.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 1:02:19 PM EDT
[#29]
These guys in Quebec had to put a 172 down on a highway.

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 1:40:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, everyone should choose death over knocking your special snowflake down in the sand.  
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 1:42:53 PM EDT
[#31]
... that damned gravity thing never lets up on us aviators
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 1:46:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 1:46:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 2:07:12 PM EDT
[#34]
IMO, he should have ditched in the water or gone for the 2+ mile long, 4 lane road that is about 30 feet away from where he put down.

Where a lot of people are walking around seems like the very last place you would want to land a plane. Just glad nobody died. Kid gets to tell a heck of a story too. How many people have been hit by a plane?

Given California's knee jerk reactions by government, that is probably the end of planes towing banners over the beach.

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 2:09:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 2:10:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

First thing I thought of seeing the thread title.

But it's the democrat "them" who practice class warfare.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 2:24:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Source

View Quote

See the word "crashes"?  It's not like he had a lot of choice.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 2:28:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Really only two reasons why an engine "loses power", contaminated fuel or no fuel.

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 2:29:38 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Source

He actually didn't have a crash landing, his landing was perfect, it was the water that got him.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 2:30:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I never practiced class warfare, I said that this dude's hobby, which it is, shouldn't cost other people's lives.

He should have bitten the bullet and augured in.

But, the dude was a pussy and decided to roll the dice with other people's lives.

It came up craps for these two:

So again, fuck that dude.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 2:33:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Overhyped.

Textbook emergency landing.. If the surf had not come in he would not have flipped over.

More crowded of a crash sight than I would have picked, but he may not have had a choice
View Quote

She couldn't have used more over the top adjectives if she was bet to.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 2:34:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I never practiced class warfare, I said that this dude's hobby, which it is, shouldn't cost other people's lives.

But, the dude was a pussy and decided to roll the dice with other people's lives.

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/4142ff6b2a4903ce5712e72dd5bf2e49dcb1cae6/c=0-387-960-1110&r=x404&c=534x401/local/-/media/WTSP/WTSP/2014/07/29/1406644329000-irizarry.JPG

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/4142ff6b2a4903ce5712e72dd5bf2e49dcb1cae6/c=0-387-960-1110&r=x404&c=534x401/local/-/media/WTSP/WTSP/2014/07/29/1406644329000-irizarry.JPG

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 2:37:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Apparently landing on a beach gets your vagina all sandy... Water landings are much less prone to this..
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 2:46:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 2:47:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Really only two reasons why an engine "loses power", contaminated fuel or no fuel.  
View Quote

Wow, really?  
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 2:54:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

The last off field landing we had out of the base was from a sheared.crankshaft.

Although running out of gas is far too common in GA given how preventable it is.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 2:57:51 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Few years back, a male beach jogger with ear buds in was beheaded by wing of an emergency landing due to prop bladder burst that covered windshield in oil.  IIRC, he was the lone Joe on the whole winter beach.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 3:01:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

You  want to stick with that, or would you like to double down and add some more derp?
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 3:02:17 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Wow, really?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow, really?  

Yes, really.

You should look at the statistics of aircraft crashes, especially light civil aircraft crashes.

It was covered in the light civil portion of my aviation management classes.

I know it doesn't apply in this case, but in most cases when a plane crashes and there's no fire then it was out of gas.

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 3:03:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You going to address the inconvenient truth posted by ske a few posts up?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top