Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 7/5/2015 8:10:05 AM EDT
MOSCOW/WARSAW (Reuters) - Russia said on Saturday it was outraged by Poland's destruction of a Soviet war monument, warning Warsaw of the "most negative consequences" after what it said was a flagrant violation of an agreement between the two countries on protecting memorial sites.

Poland has been one of the most vocal critics of Russia's annexation of Ukraine's Crimea peninsula in 2014. Russia and Poland share a history of conflicts and the disagreement over war memorials is likely to add to tensions.

"Warsaw must finally understand that the 'war of monuments' unleashed in Poland may have the most negative consequences, for which the responsibility lies squarely with its initiators," the Russian foreign ministry said in a statement.

Authorities in the western Polish town of Nowa Sol took down the brotherhood-in-arms of Polish and Red Army soldiers memorial at the end of June, reducing it to a pile of rubble.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/russia-outraged-polands-removal-soviet-war-memorial-130100672.html
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:15:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm no fan of the Russians, but I can see where they'd be pissed.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:18:02 AM EDT
[#2]
I sense a theme or trend here regarding this subject.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:18:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Is there some big monument to the Polish in Russia that I don't know about that the Russians could destroy in retaliation?
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:22:50 AM EDT
[#4]
I guess they didn't like living under the Soviet boot all those years.  What a surprise.  

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:23:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Russia hasnt been happy about anything lately...
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:25:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Fuck em.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:26:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Hmmm.  Commies make a deal with Hitler to split Poland.  Commies occupy and kill many poles including 20,000 officers.  Commies continue to occupy Poland after the war and impose commienism on them.  I don't see what their problem is.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:29:21 AM EDT
[#8]
I remember visiting with an old Polish woman a couple of years ago.  She told me about her late husband whom she fell in love with at the end of WW2.  That culture is still very grateful for what this country did.  Quite frankly, the old woman made it pretty clear that an American soldier could tap ass in Poland slicker than a peeled onion.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:29:26 AM EDT
[#9]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
It's a bullshit memorial.

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:30:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Was it a memorial to Soviet Union troops that INVADED Poland along with their Nazi German allies in 1939 or just the ones that came back a second time?

Look up Katyn Woods, I surprised the memorial had lasted this long.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:31:18 AM EDT
[#11]
F@ck Russia

BROTHERHOOD IN ARMS  thats a joke.  Poland still remember Stalin executing 22,000 polish officers and then trying to blaming it on the Germans.  Its like a rapist sending flowers to his victim and say "Remember the good time we had".

The russians were not liberators, just conquers.  Now I have to prepare for being hacked.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:34:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Maybe the Russians will kill the president of Poland, again
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:36:11 AM EDT
[#13]
The Soviet Union was complaisant with the Nazis in invading and destroying their country in 1939; not to mention the massacre a Katyn. I can understand Poland's lack of good will in regards to Russia.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:37:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Their country, their rules.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:37:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
MOSCOW/WARSAW (Reuters) - Russia said on Saturday it was outraged by Poland's destruction of a Soviet war monument, warning Warsaw of the "most negative consequences" after what it said was a flagrant violation of an agreement between the two countries on protecting memorial sites.

Poland has been one of the most vocal critics of Russia's annexation of Ukraine's Crimea peninsula in 2014. Russia and Poland share a history of conflicts and the disagreement over war memorials is likely to add to tensions.

"Warsaw must finally understand that the 'war of monuments' unleashed in Poland may have the most negative consequences, for which the responsibility lies squarely with its initiators," the Russian foreign ministry said in a statement.

Authorities in the western Polish town of Nowa Sol took down the brotherhood-in-arms of Polish and Red Army soldiers memorial at the end of June, reducing it to a pile of rubble.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/russia-outraged-polands-removal-soviet-war-memorial-130100672.html
View Quote

Fuck Russia. IIRC, the Russians killed a few thousand Polish officers at the start of WWII. Why would the Poles want  to honor that? Good destruction.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:37:58 AM EDT
[#16]
I can see where the Russians would be pissed.  A war memorial is to honor the dead, however, it is often used for political purposes.   If anything, they could PC it by removing all written references to the USSR and replace it with Russian.  But who am I to tell the Poles what to do on their land?  Their country, their decision, they live with consequences (and I hope there is no war over this thing).
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:39:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm gonna side a little more with the poles who probably aren't the biggest fans of what the soviets did in WWII
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:40:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Seeing as how the Soviets were responsible for the Katyn massacre, I can see how the Poles would still be pissed.

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:41:16 AM EDT
[#19]
They had to remove it.  It was causing mass shooting.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:43:03 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I can see where the Russians would be pissed.  A war memorial is to honor the dead, however, it is often used for political purposes.   If anything, they could PC it by removing all written references to the USSR and replace it with Russian.  But who am I to tell the Poles what to do on their land?  Their country, their decision, they live with consequences (and I hope there is no war over this thing).
View Quote

The Russians didn't exactly "help" the Poles in WWII.

They invaded Poland, helped themselves to Polish territory, executed pre War government military officers and government officials, allowed the Polish Home Army to be destroyed in Warsaw when they could have intervened and imposed a communist government Post War.

I think the Poles are justified in regarding the pro-Soviets in their history as Quislings.

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:43:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
F@ck Russia

BROTHERHOOD IN ARMS  thats a joke.  Poland still remember Stalin executing 22,000 polish officers and then trying to blaming it on the Germans.  Its like a rapist sending flowers to his victim and say "Remember the good time we had".

The russians were not liberators, just conquers.  Now I have to prepare for being hacked.
View Quote

You sir are 10000000000% correctbut it is hard to educate the low information crowd on here sometimes.

After all why bother some people with things like the facts right?
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:45:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:45:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Fuck Russia. IIRC, the Russians killed a few thousand Polish officers at the start of WWII. Why would the Poles want  to honor that? Good destruction.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

sorry sir but your facts are a little bit wrong it was over 20,000 Polish officers and intellectuals that were murdered by the NKVD IN the katyin massacre.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:55:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:57:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

sorry sir but your facts are a little bit wrong it was over 20,000 Polish officers and intellectuals that were murdered by the NKVD IN the katyin massacre.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

NKVD was soviet secret police, so yes, Russia killed 20,000 Polish officers and citizens. Fuck russia.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:02:07 AM EDT
[#26]
I just told my Polish-American girlfriend about this, she said "fuck Russia"
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:05:30 AM EDT
[#27]
There's this memorial directly east of the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin.

Frankly I don't think it's inappropriate and commemorates something that happened there.

Remember lest we forget and all that...
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:07:04 AM EDT
[#28]
The Russians had a Confederate flag on their memorial?

I honestly don't see any way of avoiding a European war in the next couple of years. Someone is going to get petulant and childish.  And there aren't any parents around.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:10:13 AM EDT
[#29]
There are Soviet Army memorials all over Central Europe.  That said, the Poles hate the Russians. The Nazis were there for a short time and inflicted a lot of damage, but the Russians bled them dry and oppressed them for 40 years. I took some pics of anti-Russian graffiti that I spotted in a couple of places in Warsaw last year.  Poles are stubborn people and tend to hold a long grudge at times
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:10:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

compared to what? The rebel flag? One is 150 years old and no one alive to remember the what is what. One is 30 years old with millions that remember how terrible the USSR was to eastern Europe.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:11:21 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I remember visiting with an old Polish woman a couple of years ago.  She told me about her late husband whom she fell in love with at the end of WW2.  That culture is still very grateful for what this country did.  Quite frankly, the old woman made it pretty clear that an American soldier could tap ass in Poland slicker than a peeled onion.
View Quote

They can. The Poles love Americans. And we should support them more then we are.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:15:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
There are Soviet Army memorials all over Central Europe.  That said, the Poles hate the Russians. The Nazis were there for a short time and inflicted a lot of damage, but the Russians bled them dry and oppressed them for 40 years. I took some pics of anti-Russian graffiti that I spotted in a couple of places in Warsaw last year.  Poles are stubborn people and tend to hold a long grudge at times
View Quote

For good reason.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:16:30 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:17:39 AM EDT
[#34]
Well now they've really gone and done it. Now the Pols have nothing to piss on.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:17:53 AM EDT
[#35]
So I guess the Russians believe the old Soviet lies about what a glorious day it was for Poland when they were liberated by wonderful Soviet Union army and became most beautiful comrades under best Soviet system in world.

The Poles apparently did not.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:22:23 AM EDT
[#36]
I hate commies. Eat Shit Russia! I guess Putin forgot about those WWII murders (Katyn Massacre) commited by his predecessers.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:25:49 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I guess they didn't like living under the Soviet boot all those years.  What a surprise.  

View Quote

(Mind Blown)
They have a nice piece of concrete shit for the local USSR sympathizers to visit here in Riga too.
Crying shame the folks that attempted to blow it up a few years back failed to do so.
This is not even in the same league as the confederate flag and is sadly very whitewashed in history books.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:27:58 AM EDT
[#38]
I wonder how the Russians would react if the Poles erected the Appropriate Memorial at Katyn....say a 13 year old Officer Cadet kneeling with an NKVD  thug holding a Makarov at the back of his neck?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:28:05 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:11:56 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Agreed.

What use are borders if another country presumes to dictate what occurs within another's borders?
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:13:46 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Agreed.

What use are borders if another country presumes to dictate what occurs within another's borders?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.

Comrade, there are no borders in the USSR 2.0
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:16:45 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

I sense a theme or trend here regarding this subject.
View Quote

A very astute observation, sir....  

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:23:26 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
They can. The Poles love Americans. And we should support them more then we are.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

We should love them back by giving them nukes and SRBMs or GLCMs.

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:35:14 AM EDT
[#44]
There's a whole park outside of budapest dedicated to the old soviet monuments that were taken down and destroyed in whole or part. Cool place. Hungarians hate them some commies for sure! They've got a statue of Reagan now.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:41:01 AM EDT
[#45]
Russia agitated rioting and launched a large cyber attack on government,banking and healthcare when the bronze soldier statue  was moved in Tallinn.

They also had a tantrum over Commies being placed in the basement of the Occupation Museum. Sorry the picture sucks but lighting isn't condusive to phone pics,that's Kalinin and a traitor named Kingissepp that the Russians tried making into a hero,they still have a city named after him.Notice that one of their objections is that they are outside of the toilets.

This was a Soviet era memorial to the Red Rifles,Communist Estonians who sided with Russia  in the War of Independence. Things are being preserved but bad ideas are simply consigned to the basement of history.

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:47:38 AM EDT
[#46]
Maybe they could replace it with this one...

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:50:03 AM EDT
[#47]
The Poles should be arming themselves absolutely to the teeth.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:51:54 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
The Poles should be arming themselves absolutely to the teeth.
View Quote

Was there last month and spoke with a bunch of the locals I know. They're good to go..
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:52:24 AM EDT
[#49]
Considering the Poles have been raped several times by the Russians (and not just in WWII), I can see why they did this.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:55:54 AM EDT
[#50]
Why did they do that???   Was the memorial flying the Confedrate flag instead of the Sickle???
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top