Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/4/2015 1:23:48 PM EDT
From a local discussion group:

Following is language from the actual Cibolo ordinance (Section 46-86) regarding possession and discharge of fireworks: The presence of any fireworks within the city limits of the City of Cibolo in violation of this ordinance is hereby declared to be a public nuisance, except where exempt by State Law. The manufacture, sale, offer for sale, or give away of any fireworks within the jurisdiction of the City of Cibolo or within five thousand (5,000) feet of the city limits of the City of Cibolo that is not within the incorporated limits or jurisdiction of another municipality in violation of this ordinance is hereby declared to be a public nuisance, except where exempt by State Law.

The Fire Marshal or any Police Officer of the City of Cibolo or any other duly constituted peace officer is hereby authorized to enter any building where the unlawful presence of fireworks is suspected in order to inspect the same for the presence of such fireworks. It shall be unlawful for any person to manufacture, store, transport, receive, keep, sell, give, offer, or have in his or her possession with or without intent to sell, use, give, offer, discharge, cause to be discharged, ignite, detonate, fire, or otherwise set in action any fireworks of any description.

Seems legit.

Subsection C:
(c)

The Fire Marshal or any Police Officer of the City of Cibolo or any other duly constituted peace officer or any member of the Fire Prevention Division of the City of Cibolo is hereby authorized to enter any building where the unlawful presence of fireworks is suspected in order to inspect the same for the presence of such fireworks.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:25:28 PM EDT
[#1]
The 4th Amendment takes a very distant back seat to "safety".
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:25:51 PM EDT
[#2]
When is SCOTUS going to hear and uphold it?
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:26:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Payday!
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:27:24 PM EDT
[#4]
molon labe
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:27:48 PM EDT
[#5]
They are using fire inspection laws I'm assssssssuming.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:27:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Ironic that people are celebrating independence from an oppressor.

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:28:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Shut up and wave your flag celebrating "Independence" Day...........
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:29:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Also, what's with the "within 5000 feet of the city limits" part?  Why not make it within 20 miles as long as we're reaching out of our jurisdiction?
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:33:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I know someone who hasn't read the 4th A.  There is a fireworks exception right there. Derp.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:34:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

So it's lawful for a fireman to demand entry and inspection of your home without a warrant?
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:35:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Listen, I don't like the way that law is being enforced. But retards lighting their neighbors house on fire is a big fucking problem.

Out west we are in a tinder box right now and some asshat blowing shit up and causing forest fires is the best way to calibrate the 4th apperntly.

Ironic also is that 99% of fireworks are made by the Chinese.

Merica,
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:35:58 PM EDT
[#12]
I remember the good old days when the entire neighborhood sat out on the front lawn and lit fireworks all day long. Now everything is banned and all the sheep have to be herded to the main city firework show. Yay.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:40:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I remember the good old days when the entire neighborhood sat out on the front lawn and lit fireworks all day long. Now everything is banned and all the sheep have to be herded to the main city firework show. Yay.
View Quote

I remember when some assshat caused a massive fire that burned dozens of homes with fireworks.

Should I be able to put a target up at a neighborhood park and shoot my AR?

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:42:48 PM EDT
[#14]
You got a license for all the FREEDOM you've got there, buddy?
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:43:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I remember when some assshat caused a massive fire that burned dozens of homes with fireworks.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What state are you from
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:07:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Except that this shitty excuse for a city can't even muster up a fireworks show.

But they can afford 8700 signs to post on all the major roads and at the entrance to every subdivision.

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:08:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Stupid podunk safety obsessed "muh community" types...

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:11:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You got a license for all the FREEDOM you've got there, buddy?
View Quote

FREEDOM*

*Many,many,many restrictions apply.Not available in all areas.The offer of FREEDOM void where prohibited.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:11:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

So it's lawful for a fireman to demand entry and inspection of your home without a warrant?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess the 4th Amendment doesn't appy to fire fighters in that municipality
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:13:34 PM EDT
[#20]
This is in TX?
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:14:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Fourth Amendment > city ordinance.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:15:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lots of municipalities allow it, yes.

YMMV
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:15:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

What state are you from
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What state are you from

MT
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:16:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Fourth Amendment > city ordinance.
View Quote

lol

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:17:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
From a local discussion group:

Following is language from the actual Cibolo ordinance (Section 46-86) regarding possession and discharge of fireworks: The presence of any fireworks within the city limits of the City of Cibolo in violation of this ordinance is hereby declared to be a public nuisance, except where exempt by State Law. The manufacture, sale, offer for sale, or give away of any fireworks within the jurisdiction of the City of Cibolo or within five thousand (5,000) feet of the city limits of the City of Cibolo that is not within the incorporated limits or jurisdiction of another municipality in violation of this ordinance is hereby declared to be a public nuisance, except where exempt by State Law.

The Fire Marshal or any Police Officer of the City of Cibolo or any other duly constituted peace officer is hereby authorized to enter any building where the unlawful presence of fireworks is suspected in order to inspect the same for the presence of such fireworks. It shall be unlawful for any person to manufacture, store, transport, receive, keep, sell, give, offer, or have in his or her possession with or without intent to sell, use, give, offer, discharge, cause to be discharged, ignite, detonate, fire, or otherwise set in action any fireworks of any description.

Seems legit.
View Quote

Freedom.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:17:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:18:29 PM EDT
[#27]
A lot of ordinances will use language such as "dwelling" or "residence". I don't think it authorises anyone to enter a home. I could be wrong though.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:18:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:18:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Move to a free state!
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:20:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:20:12 PM EDT
[#31]
No warrant?  Then you'll have to earn entry into my house and it won't be easy.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:23:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
A lot of ordinances will use language such as "dwelling" or "residence". I don't think it authorises anyone to enter a home. I could be wrong though.
View Quote

Would you explain the distinction, please?
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:23:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

What about building? Doesn't that mean the same thing in Texas as it does say in the Oxford Dictionary?

"hereby authorized to enter any building"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A lot of ordinances will use language such as "dwelling" or "residence" or in an instance such as this. I don't think it authorises anyone to enter a home. I could be wrong though.

What about building? Doesn't that mean the same thing in Texas as it does say in the Oxford Dictionary?

I said I could be wrong. I would think if you search their codes you would see a distinction being made between a building and a residence.

If not, I would love to see a police officer go into someone's home for no other reason than to confiscate fireworks. I know I wouldn't do it.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:23:37 PM EDT
[#34]
So a pissed off neighbor SWATS you?

If you are not in violation. You get paid?
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:25:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I said I could be wrong. I would think if you search their codes you would see a distinction being made between a building and a residence.

If not, I would love to see a police officer go into someone's home for no other reason than to confiscate fireworks. I know I wouldn't do it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
A lot of ordinances will use language such as "dwelling" or "residence" or in an instance such as this. I don't think it authorises anyone to enter a home. I could be wrong though.

Glad you wouldn't do it.

Unfortunately,there are plenty out there eager to do it.Hut hut hut.....
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:26:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Listen, I don't like the way that law is being enforced. But retards lighting their neighbors house on fire is a big fucking problem.

Out west we are in a tinder box right now and some asshat blowing shit up and causing forest fires is the best way to calibrate the 4th apperntly.

Merica,
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:28:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
So a pissed off neighbor SWATS you?

If you are not in violation. You get paid?
View Quote

lol

They were just doing their job.

Have to keep everyone safe and free..........
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:29:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Am I missing the highlighted part in OP?

Sec. 46-85. - Definitions.
The following words, terms and phrases, when used in this article, shall have the meanings
ascribed to them in this section, except where the context clearly indicates a different meaning:
Fireworks means any composition or device designed to produce a visible or audible effect
by combustion, explosion, deflagration, or detonation.
(Ord. No. 12, § 1, 4-16-1969; Ord. No. 797, § I(a), 3-13-2007)
Sec. 46-86. - Public nuisance and prohibition.
The possession, use, manufacture, sale, offer for sale, giveaway, or discharge of fireworks
within the city limits, or within 5,000 feet of the city limits is hereby declared to be a common and
public nuisance and it shall be unlawful for any person to possess, use, manufacture, sell, offer for
sale, give away, or discharge fireworks within the city limits, or within 5,000 feet of the city limits.

(Ord. No. 12, §§ 2, 4, 4-16-1969; Ord. No. 797, § I(b), 3-13-2007)
Sec. 46-87. - Exceptions.
This article does not apply to:
(1)
Toy pistols, toy canes, toy guns, or other devices that use paper or plastic caps;
(2)
Model rockets and model rocket motors, designed, sold, and used for the purpose of
propelling recoverable aero models;
(3)
The sale and use, in emergency situations, of pyrotechnic signaling devices or
distress signals for aviation, or highway use;
(4)
The use of fuse and railway torpedoes by railroads;
(5)
The sale of blank cartridges for use in radio, television, film, or theater productions
for signal or ceremonial purposes in athletic events, or for industrial purposes; or
(6)
The use of any pyrotechnic device by military organizations.
(Ord. No. 12, § 3, 4-16-1969; Ord. No. 797, § I(c), 3-13-2007)
Sec. 46-88. - Public displays exempted.
The provisions of section 54-126 shall not apply to a public display of fireworks made under
the terms and conditions of this section, and such display shall be permitted upon compliance with the
provisions of the city's adopted fire prevention code and of this section, as follows:
(1)
Any adult person or any firm, copartnership, corporation or association planning to
make a public display of fireworks shall first make written application for a permit to
the fire marshal at least 14 days in advance of the date of the proposed display.
(2)
It shall be the duty of the fire marshal to make an investigation as to whether the
display as proposed by the applicant for a permit under this article shall be of such a
character that it may be hazardous to property or dangerous to any person; and he
shall, in the exercise of reasonable discretion, grant or deny the application, subject
to the conditions prescribed in this section. If the application is approved, a permit
shall be issued for the public display by the fire marshal. Such permit shall be for a
period of time designated on the permit, but shall not exceed 14 days, and the
permit shall not be transferable. If the application is denied by the fire marshal, he
shall notify the applicant of the denial in writing.
(3)
The applicant for a display permit under this section shall, at the time of making
application, furnish proof of compensation insurance for employees as provided by
the laws of the state; and shall file with the fire marshal a certificate of insurance
evidencing the carrying of public liability insurance in an amount not less than
$300,000.00, issued by an insurance carrier authorized to transact business in the
state, for the benefit of the person named therein as insured, as evidence of ability
to respond in damages in at least the amount of $300,000.00, such policy to be
approved by the fire marshal. In lieu of insurance, the applicant may file with the fire
marshal a bond in the amount of $300,000.00, issued by an authorized surety
company approved by the fire marshal, conditioned upon the applicant's payment of
all damages to persons or property which shall or may result from or be caused by
such public display of fireworks or any negligence on the part of the applicant or his
agents, servants, employees, or subcontractors in the presentation of the public
display.
(4)
The range of aerial displays shall not be more than 200 feet, and the fireworks shall
be discharged vertically from tubes approved by the fire marshal.
(5)
The limit of a display authorized by this section shall be not more than 45 minutes
per performance, and there shall not be more than two performances in each 24
hours.
(6)
No public display of fireworks shall be of such a character and so located,
discharged, or fired as to be hazardous or dangerous to persons or property, and
this determination shall be within the sound discretion of the fire marshal.
(7)
The persons handling the display of fireworks under this section shall be competent,
adult persons and experienced pyrotechnic operators approved by the fire marshal.
No person not approved by the fire marshal shall handle fireworks at the public
display. The names of the experienced pyrotechnic operators shall be designated
on the permit issued.
(8)
For each public display of fireworks under this section, the fire marshal may require
that not less than two firefighters of the city be in attendance during the display. The
expense of such firefighters at the display shall be borne by the applicant for the
permit and shall be paid in advance at the time of the application for the permit.
(9)
The material to be used for a public display authorized by this section shall not be
stored within the city limits, but shall be brought in on the day of the public display
and then shall be taken immediately to the place of display for further handling and
storage.
(Ord. No. 797, § I(d), 3-13-2007)
Sec. 46-89. - City attorney authority.
Notwithstanding any penal provision of this article, the city attorney is authorized to file suit
on behalf of the city, the fire marshal, or both for such injunctive relief as may be necessary to prevent
a violation of this article. It shall not be necessary to obtain injunctive relief as a prerequisite to seizure
of fireworks.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:31:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
No warrant?  Then you'll have to earn entry into my house and it won't be easy.
View Quote

Come on man- this is for dangerous, misdemeanor fireworks!! if it save one child, it's worth it!
Why do you hate babies?
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:32:07 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View Quote

That's Safety with a capital S. Show proper obeisance, and give due worship to the gods of Security and Safety.

When the Priests of Safety come to your home, do not resist. Show them reverence, for they are the representatives from the Government to you.

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:43:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Merica,
View Quote

I'm right there with you. We really don't need further fires right now in Montana, that recent thunderstorm rolled through and lit things up plenty. With how incredibly dry things are, and predicted high winds for later tonight, I hope people are holding off or being especially cautious as far as fire prevention goes. I know I am!

But I also don't agree with the way that law would be enforced. Freedom comes first, even if there is a good chance people will be idiots. I'd rather suffer the consequences of excessive freedom than try to prevent things going wrong by giving any government too much power.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:50:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Merica,
View Quote

Big problem really?

How many neighbors houses get torched, accidentally by fireworks every year?

Also where and when did these dozens of homes get burned in the fireworks inferno?

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:52:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Big problem really?

Also where and when did these dozens of homes get burned in the fireworks inferno?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Merica,

Big problem really?

But if it saves just one house,isn't it worth it?

Isn't it???
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:55:04 PM EDT
[#44]
GOD BLESS AMERICA  
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:55:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Sec. 46-85. - Definitions.
The following words, terms and phrases, when used in this article, shall have the meanings
ascribed to them in this section, except where the context clearly indicates a different meaning:
Fireworks means any composition or device designed to produce a visible or audible effect
by combustion, explosion, deflagration, or detonation.
(Ord. No. 12, § 1, 4-16-1969; Ord. No. 797, § I(a), 3-13-2007)
The possession, use, manufacture, sale, offer for sale, giveaway, or discharge of fireworks
within the city limits, or within 5,000 feet of the city limits is hereby declared to be a common and
public nuisance and it shall be unlawful for any person to possess, use, manufacture, sell, offer for
sale, give away, or discharge fireworks within the city limits, or within 5,000 feet of the city limits.

(Ord. No. 12, §§ 2, 4, 4-16-1969; Ord. No. 797, § I(b), 3-13-2007)
Sec. 46-87. - Exceptions.
This article does not apply to:
(1)
Toy pistols, toy canes, toy guns, or other devices that use paper or plastic caps;
(2)
Model rockets and model rocket motors, designed, sold, and used for the purpose of
propelling recoverable aero models;
(3)
The sale and use, in emergency situations, of pyrotechnic signaling devices or
distress signals for aviation, or highway use;
(4)
The use of fuse and railway torpedoes by railroads;
(5)
The sale of blank cartridges for use in radio, television, film, or theater productions
for signal or ceremonial purposes in athletic events, or for industrial purposes; or
(6)
The use of any pyrotechnic device by military organizations.
(Ord. No. 12, § 3, 4-16-1969; Ord. No. 797, § I(c), 3-13-2007)
Sec. 46-88. - Public displays exempted.
The provisions of section 54-126 shall not apply to a public display of fireworks made under
the terms and conditions of this section, and such display shall be permitted upon compliance with the
provisions of the city's adopted fire prevention code and of this section, as follows:
(1)
Any adult person or any firm, copartnership, corporation or association planning to
make a public display of fireworks shall first make written application for a permit to
the fire marshal at least 14 days in advance of the date of the proposed display.
(2)
It shall be the duty of the fire marshal to make an investigation as to whether the
display as proposed by the applicant for a permit under this article shall be of such a
character that it may be hazardous to property or dangerous to any person; and he
shall, in the exercise of reasonable discretion, grant or deny the application, subject
to the conditions prescribed in this section. If the application is approved, a permit
shall be issued for the public display by the fire marshal. Such permit shall be for a
period of time designated on the permit, but shall not exceed 14 days, and the
permit shall not be transferable. If the application is denied by the fire marshal, he
shall notify the applicant of the denial in writing.
(3)
The applicant for a display permit under this section shall, at the time of making
application, furnish proof of compensation insurance for employees as provided by
the laws of the state; and shall file with the fire marshal a certificate of insurance
evidencing the carrying of public liability insurance in an amount not less than
$300,000.00, issued by an insurance carrier authorized to transact business in the
state, for the benefit of the person named therein as insured, as evidence of ability
to respond in damages in at least the amount of $300,000.00, such policy to be
approved by the fire marshal. In lieu of insurance, the applicant may file with the fire
marshal a bond in the amount of $300,000.00, issued by an authorized surety
company approved by the fire marshal, conditioned upon the applicant's payment of
all damages to persons or property which shall or may result from or be caused by
such public display of fireworks or any negligence on the part of the applicant or his
agents, servants, employees, or subcontractors in the presentation of the public
display.
(4)
The range of aerial displays shall not be more than 200 feet, and the fireworks shall
be discharged vertically from tubes approved by the fire marshal.
(5)
The limit of a display authorized by this section shall be not more than 45 minutes
per performance, and there shall not be more than two performances in each 24
hours.
(6)
No public display of fireworks shall be of such a character and so located,
discharged, or fired as to be hazardous or dangerous to persons or property, and
this determination shall be within the sound discretion of the fire marshal.
(7)
The persons handling the display of fireworks under this section shall be competent,
adult persons and experienced pyrotechnic operators approved by the fire marshal.
No person not approved by the fire marshal shall handle fireworks at the public
display. The names of the experienced pyrotechnic operators shall be designated
on the permit issued.
(8)
For each public display of fireworks under this section, the fire marshal may require
that not less than two firefighters of the city be in attendance during the display. The
expense of such firefighters at the display shall be borne by the applicant for the
permit and shall be paid in advance at the time of the application for the permit.
(9)
The material to be used for a public display authorized by this section shall not be
stored within the city limits, but shall be brought in on the day of the public display
and then shall be taken immediately to the place of display for further handling and
storage.
(Ord. No. 797, § I(d), 3-13-2007)
Sec. 46-89. - City attorney authority.
Notwithstanding any penal provision of this article, the city attorney is authorized to file suit
on behalf of the city, the fire marshal, or both for such injunctive relief as may be necessary to prevent
a violation of this article. It shall not be necessary to obtain injunctive relief as a prerequisite to seizure
of fireworks.

Nope, just GD being GD
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:58:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

What state are you from
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What state are you from

With the Seahawks a avatar I assume he is from Washington and is probably high as a kite.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 3:01:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Just so everyone is clear here is the actual ordinance.

public nuisance and <nonexistent 4th amendment violation goes here> it shall be unlawful for any person to possess, use, manufacture, sell, offer for
View Quote

http://tx-cibolo.civicplus.com/DocumentCenter/View/184

...OP seems to have taken some creative liberties.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 3:03:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Except that this shitty excuse for a city can't even muster up a fireworks show.

But they can afford 8700 signs to post on all the major roads and at the entrance to every subdivision.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

California?

I know one of the local communities is trumpeting their $1,500 minimum fine and possible felony charges for use/possession of fireworks.
The irony of risking losing one's rights and freedom for celebrating our freedom.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 3:05:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

YMMV
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

YMMV

And, that's been true for Department of Natural Resources(or its equivalent) for decades.  I've had my shed or garage broken into by one of them several times.  I had a freezer in my shed that you could see from a window, so they would kick in the door to check for game meat.  Seattle is now doing something like that to renters.  The mayor claims the city has the right to kick in the door of any residential rental property to verify that they have heat, hot water, smoke detectors, etc..  The mayor claimed minorities were too stupid to know if, for example, they had running cold water without having a city employee tell them that they do.z
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 3:15:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

None of that justifies your apparent disregard for constitutional freedom and the bill of rights.   They can fuck off to hell.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top