Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/4/2015 1:19:12 PM EDT
It's about a half hour longer to go through Louisiana, but I have never been to Louisiana. Is the drive from Jackson MS to Shreveport scenic, or is it nothing special?
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:21:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Insert Uneasy Rider into thread.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:22:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I live in the top. I'd go south just because I haven't been that route.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:23:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
It's about a half hour longer to go through Louisiana, but I have never been to Louisiana. Is the drive from Jackson MS to Shreveport scenic, or is it nothing special?
View Quote

I took the back roads last month from home (south of Woodville, TX) to Olive Branch, MS.,  went through Deridder, LA., Leesvilles, LA, and hopped on I-20 in Monroe.  Time wise, it's faster to stay on I-20 through Shreveport, but some of the small towns might interest you if you have the time.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:24:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm all about taking new routes.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:27:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Arkansas is probably prettier, with greater variety in scenery.  LA and E. Texas are all pine trees or coastal prarie/swamp.  
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:27:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Arkansas is a beautiful state, maybe not so much in the summer tho
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:28:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Arkansas is probably prettier, with greater variety in scenery.  LA and E. Texas are all pine trees or coastal prarie/swamp.  
View Quote

You know how I know you never drove Memphis to Texas
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:29:21 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote
Louisiana and Texas are no picnic in summer either.  At least AR might get less humidity.

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:29:22 PM EDT
[#9]
I-10 across the south of  Louisiana sucks. It's concrete expansion joint hell. I-20 across the northern part of the state is a better drive.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:32:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Are you going to Jackson or the Jackson area?  Jackson is a shithole. You should be armed at all times. Madison and Ridgeland are relatively nice. If you like pizza Soulshine Pizza Factory is very tasty.

http://ridgeland.soulshinepizza.com/menu/
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:33:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I-10 across the south of  Louisiana sucks. It's concrete expansion joint hell. I-20 across the northern part of the state is a better drive.
View Quote

This....I prefer I-20 over I-10.
I lived in AR 27 yrs....parents still live there....humid always....unless you get some elevation in the north part of the state, then not
quite as bad.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:34:54 PM EDT
[#12]
When are you leaving? I'll be heading that route tomorrow.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:35:56 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Are you going to Jackson or the Jackson area?  Jackson is a shithole. You should be armed at all times. Madison and Ridgeland are relatively nice. If you like pizza Soulshine Pizza Factory is very tasty.

View Quote
I'll be going from Oxford to Dallas. I came from Dallas to Memphis and then south to Oxford.

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:36:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Do Louisiana troopers still terrorize out of state drivers?
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:36:56 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

When are you leaving? I'll be heading that route tomorrow.
View Quote

Tomorrow morning.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:37:12 PM EDT
[#16]
DO NOT go to Louisiana.

Absolute hell on earth, that place is
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:37:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Is 83 open between Port Arthur, TX and Lafayette still open?   That'd give anyone a good hurricane-blasted swamptastic drive.  I can only imagine the condition of that road.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:38:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I-40 sucks. It's been several years since I've been, but the road construction sucked.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:39:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not even remotely scenic.  I did the drive yesterday.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:45:12 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Never have; true.  But I drove Austin to Huntsville, AL,  and AR can't be more dull than that.  There's hills somewhere in that state.  

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:47:51 PM EDT
[#21]
I was just in Shreveport last Monday.
Worst fuvkin roads ever.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:55:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Easiest drive: 20W through lousyana all the way to the big D.

Uneasy Rider: 82 to Texarkana via Lake Village/Greenville, there's nothing to look at but soybeans and corn, and few "secure" places to stop(especially in the Delta, it's like a fucking 3rd world shithole, for real, you'll wonder when you left the U.S.).  Travel at your own risk, this is my AO.

If you need more specifics concerning 82 or 49, please IM me
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:57:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Louisiana has fucked up roads.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:58:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

So does Arkansas
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:00:50 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View Quote
^^^ This ^^^

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:01:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Insert Uneasy Rider into thread.
View Quote

Go through Nebraska
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:04:25 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Is 83 open between Port Arthur, TX and Lafayette still open?   That'd give anyone a good hurricane-blasted swamptastic drive.  I can only imagine the condition of that road.
View Quote
If you mean 82/27, it is. I drove it last year from PA to Lafayette. Neat country and a free ferry ride. The road isn't bad at all....just long.

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:05:18 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
So does Arkansas
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So does Arkansas

One thing I noticed was a loooooong construction backup heading south between Little Rock and Texarkana. Dead stop for at least 10 miles. This was Friday evening. I would hate to get stuck in that if they are re-surfacing over the weekend or something.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:05:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Just made a round trip to Tennessee up through Dallas to Little Rock then Memphis then down through Montgomery Alabama and then the Orange Coast- then back along I-10. Sucked both ways, don't go.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:07:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

I40 and I30 in AR really are stressful and lots of traffic. If I have the extra 1.5 hour I like to go through MS and LA. Less 18 wheelers!
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:09:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

One thing I noticed was a loooooong construction backup heading south between Little Rock and Texarkana. Dead stop for at least 10 miles. This was Friday evening. I would hate to get stuck in that if they are re-surfacing over the weekend or something.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So does Arkansas

I sit on 40 for two hours one time over construction and a accident. I like to cross the river at Vicksburg.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:10:33 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I'll be going from Oxford to Dallas. I came from Dallas to Memphis and then south to Oxford.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm in Oxford. When I go to Dallas, I take I-55 to I-20. It seems to be an easier route.

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:11:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So does Arkansas

Where are you starting from?  I'm asking because there are several options(some way better than others) depending on your start point and destination.  Pick up some lotto tickets if you get into LA.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:11:18 PM EDT
[#34]
I travel that area all the time. Thru Arkansas is the better route.

Cross the Mississippi River at Greenville, and take 82 the back way into Texarkana. Misses all the traffic and construction and the roads are very good.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:15:12 PM EDT
[#35]
The last time I drove through Louisiana we learned that the state flower was an orange construction cone.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:40:12 PM EDT
[#36]
The only interesting part of the drive through LA would be west of Lafayette going over the Atchafalaya Basin, but its all raised bridge over wetlands.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:42:35 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

The last time I drove through Louisiana we learned that the state flower was an orange construction cone.
View Quote
That was funny!

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 3:09:45 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Where are you starting from?  I'm asking because there are several options(some way better than others) depending on your start point and destination.  Pick up some lotto tickets if you get into LA.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So does Arkansas

Oxford

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 3:40:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Never have; true.  But I drove Austin to Huntsville, AL,  and AR can't be more dull than that.  There's hills somewhere in that state.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Memphis to little rock is farm land. Little rock to Texarkana is pine trees.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 3:47:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Ouch.  That's like trying to decide to eat shit or drink piss.  Sorry for ya bud.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 3:48:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 3:53:02 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

All I remember about E. Texas, Louisiana, and Mississippi was asphalt and pine trees hour after hour.  

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 3:53:33 PM EDT
[#43]
If you're in a hurry take the interstate.  There are speed traps galore in southern AR and the scenery isn't all that much to write home about.

But if you hate moving along at a reasonable clip, take 7 down to I55 south and pick up US 82 just east of Greenwood; 82 goes all the way to Dallas.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 3:56:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Drove from DFW to Vicksburg once.  Only thing that made Louisiana tolerable was stopping at Barksdale AFB for a break and going through the little air museum there.  Otherwise, been there; ticked off the list; never go back.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 3:57:10 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

If you mean 82/27, it is. I drove it last year from PA to Lafayette. Neat country and a free ferry ride. The road isn't bad at all....just long.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I like slower roads if they're more interesting, or you get to feel a little bit more of the place you're traveling through.  It's why I'll take US 90 from San Antonio to Alpine, even though it's shit-inducingly long.  

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 3:58:20 PM EDT
[#46]
depends if you prefer to see 1st cousins dating or brother and sister marriages?
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 4:00:33 PM EDT
[#47]

Well it depends... If you have a Clinton 2016 bumper sticker I would stay the hell out of Louisiana... If not then your good to go either way..
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 4:03:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Have they fixed the road between Memphis and Little Rock? It used to be bang bang bang on expansion joints the whole way. It that is fixed, I would go that way.

If you go 20 to MS, don't stay in Jackson.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have they fixed the road between Memphis and Little Rock? It used to be bang bang bang on expansion joints the whole way. It that is fixed, I would go that way.

If you go 20 to MS, don't stay in Jackson.

I'm 38 and I remember them doing road work when I was a kid. They will always be doing construction on I40/I30.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 4:07:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I'm all about taking new routes.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 4:08:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Louisiana and Texas are no picnic in summer either.  At least AR might get less humidity.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Snort
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top