Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/4/2015 11:31:16 AM EDT
Considering their help during the Revolutionary War and all that?

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 11:34:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Honestly we should recognize them for what they did. Our little revolution was a WORLD war.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 11:37:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Honestly we should recognize them for what they did. Our little revolution was a WORLD war.
View Quote

The Lafayette Escadrille & Lafayette Flying Corps didn't forget during WW1.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 11:42:57 AM EDT
[#3]
No.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 11:47:25 AM EDT
[#4]
You're welcome!

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 11:47:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Imperial France helped us, after the french revolution we were basically at war with France for a few years Quasi War
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 11:49:59 AM EDT
[#6]
What was that line?

Declared in the north, waged in the south, won by the French.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 11:52:55 AM EDT
[#7]

I'll eat an extra piece of garlic French bread with my BBQ today.

But that's as far as I'll go.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 11:53:05 AM EDT
[#8]
There's no need to thank France.
First, the government of France which gave aid to the colonists is long gone.
Second the government of France had it's own motives for its actions. Helping the colonists was at the bottom of the list.
Recognizing that without the assistance of an established  government the colonists would probably have failed is very important. Thanking France is not.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 11:54:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

The royals helped us....but when it was the people's turn to revolt against them we did not help them....

We paid our debt to them in WW1,WW2 I'd say.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 11:57:02 AM EDT
[#10]
It's nice to remember their place in our history.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 11:59:45 AM EDT
[#11]
France saved us.

Within 20 years we were shooting at them.

We've since saved France twice.

I'd say we're square.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:19:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
France saved us.

I'd say we're square.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:32:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

absolutely.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:34:24 PM EDT
[#14]
the USA already did on WWI and WWII, then probably again in WWIII
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:52:11 PM EDT
[#15]
I thought Mel Gibson and that French guy from Bad Boys fought Bob Ross to determine the final design of the Confederate flag.

ETA: 1812!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:53:56 PM EDT
[#16]
We have thanked them twice already in blood.  So no.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:54:04 PM EDT
[#17]
I like how that little tid-bit is just conveniently left out of all history books in schools.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:55:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:56:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:03:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I think that's the best way of looking at it.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
France saved us.

I'd say we're square.

I think that's the best way of looking at it.  

Well said. I think France gets a bad rap for the most part. Many of the small towns and villages still celebrate the liberation and think highly of the US. I would like to visit there someday.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:05:00 PM EDT
[#21]
I watched Le Tour this morning, that has to count for something
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:10:36 PM EDT
[#22]
We should. They gave us the Statue of Liberty. In return, I say we give them, Kim and Kanye.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:17:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Square?  Yes.

Does that mean we shouldn't thank them?  No.  Certainly not.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:19:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Yes, unequivocally
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:21:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
France saved us.

I'd say we're square.
View Quote

Yep...Omaha....Utah...gold....Juno.....sword.............
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:21:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
No.
View Quote
What we did in WWII payed them back, with a shit-ton left over.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:29:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Yeah its not like the French appreciated American sacrifice or even mention the US during the D-Day memorials

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 3:08:07 PM EDT
[#28]
The right answer is " Yes"
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 3:26:43 PM EDT
[#29]
The French have the interests of the French first and foremost. If any help by was to be provided to anyone, it had to be advantageous to them, or they would not intervene.
Had the opportunity not been to bruise the Brits and possible gain some of their winnings in the process, they wouldn't have helped. I don't think they gave two sh*ts about what the Colonists were doing for themselves, as long as they were giving the red coats trouble they were completely satisfied.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 3:31:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The French have the interests of the French first and foremost. If any help by was to be provided to anyone, it had to be advantageous to them, or they would not intervene.
View Quote

Kind of like the United States right? And any other country on this planet.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 3:37:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Yeah its not like the French appreciated American sacrifice or even mention the US during the D-Day memorials

http://i.imgur.com/cduqh22.jpg
View Quote

But the French don't need to be thankful though. It was just the Americans repaying a debt. Debtors gotta pay.

Also America did nothing in WWI, so quit mentioning it.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 3:40:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Je suis en accord!
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 3:42:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

That one did it for me. Im not one to tear up over the internet, but God is there so much to cry for in that picture.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 3:46:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

That one did it for me. Im not one to tear up over the internet, but God is there so much to cry for in that picture.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've not seen that before. Very powerful photo.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 3:49:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 3:52:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yup.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 3:56:40 PM EDT
[#37]
We should appreciate the help regardless of motive.

Not that we didn't pay it back a couple times since then.

We at least acknowledged Lafayette during WWI.

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 3:58:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Of course we should.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 4:08:08 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

We should. They gave us the Statue of Liberty. In return, I say we give them, Kim and Kanye.
View Quote
, how about not having to speak German (unless they want to)?

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 4:14:13 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

What was that line?

Declared in the north, waged in the south, won by the French.
View Quote

Never heard that saying, sounds accurate though. Except for Valley Forge .

But as others have said, we repaid that debt, twice.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 4:14:27 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
View Quote

Wow, that is amazing! I've never seen that picture before.   Thank you for posting it.  Any back story on it?
I lived in Paris from '77-79 to learn French (parents were missionaries) and my baby-sitter (in her late 50's early 60's) use to tell me tales of how joyful she was when the American liberated her village in '44.  She  adamantly stated (with tears in her eyes) that she kissed GIs till her lips were tired!
She made a lasting impression on that 7-8 year old and I'm not just talking about the yummy horse meat she fed me!!!  It (the stories, not the horse meat) help awaken a love for all-things history in me that survives till this day. Hmmm, where does one find some tasty horse flesh????

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 4:16:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Certainly not Jim France
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 4:25:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

But the French don't need to be thankful though. It was just the Americans repaying a debt. Debtors gotta pay.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We were quite late indeed.   Our food, our ammo and even our rifles were on time but we got paid for them I do believe.

Not to mention we had plenty of folks there in other nation's uniforms before Wilson made up his mind.  
We were slow but not as slow in the next WW too.  Lots of Americans were in the British and even Canadian services because they didn't want to wait.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 4:31:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
France saved us.

I'd say we're square.

Yep, the greatest generation squared things up to us. Thankfully, most of them have passed on so they won't have to witness their sacrifice being waisted.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 4:38:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1, let's use the Statue of Liberty as a reminder of the positive links between the USA and France.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 4:42:41 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Square?  Yes.

Does that mean we shouldn't thank them?  No.  Certainly not.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 4:52:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Wow, that is amazing! I've never seen that picture before.   Thank you for posting it.  Any back story on it?

I lived in Paris from '77-79 to learn French (parents were missionaries) and my baby-sitter (in her late 50's early 60's) use to tell me tales of how joyful she was when the American showed up in her village in '44.  She  adamantly stated (with tears in her eyes) that she kissed GIs till her lips were tired!

She made a lasting impression on that 7-8 year old and I'm not just talking about the yummy horse meat she fed me!!!  It (the stories, not the horse meat) help awaken a love for all-things history in me that survives till this day. Hmmm, where does one find some tasty horse flesh????  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I lived in Paris from '77-79 to learn French (parents were missionaries) and my baby-sitter (in her late 50's early 60's) use to tell me tales of how joyful she was when the American showed up in her village in '44.  She  adamantly stated (with tears in her eyes) that she kissed GIs till her lips were tired!

Foto is around the Normandy landings and shows French farmers laying flowers on a dead American soldier.

It's quite a known foto here. I'm suprised its not more wel known in the US.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 4:57:27 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Foto is around the Normandy landings and shows French farmers laying flowers on a dead American soldier.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It might be and my brain (stroke) is not remembering it.  I seem to do that a lot any more!

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 4:59:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
France saved us.

I'd say we're square.
View Quote

Yup. They were on the verge of learning German on two seperate occasions. They can kiss our ass if they have a problem with America.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 5:18:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Of course.   It shouldn't be about keeping a ledger of who helped who.
And Lafayette is an American hero.  Interesting thing I read, he was buried in Paris with dirt from Bunker Hill.  Nice gesture.  

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top