Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/4/2015 10:50:56 AM EDT
I need a new washer and drier.   Front loader or top?   I would think the top loader makes more sense, but have heard the frone is easier on clothes.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:55:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Last year, bought this combo, no issues.   I don't like fancy-pancy appliances.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-7-0-cu-ft-Electric-Dryer-in-White-GTDP220EFWW/204077102
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:59:52 AM EDT
[#2]
It has more to do with model and manufacturer. Look up Consumer Reports at the library for an issue on washers.
You can get a good top loader or a bad top loader. Ditto for front loaders.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 11:04:04 AM EDT
[#3]
I always said that I would go with a front load washer next time I need to buy one... they handle things top load versions wont and are more efficient, is what I understand.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 11:07:29 AM EDT
[#4]
I just got this washer, and this dryer.

The washer is a top loader without the agitator post in the middle, kind of like a front load washer but turned on it's side so it's a top loader as nature intended.

No complaints so far.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 11:11:56 AM EDT
[#5]
We went front load on the current washer - LG Direct drive.

We most likely will NOT get another front load washer. Newer top load designs seem to have a lot of the benefits of front loaders without the negatives - like constant cleaning to avoid a smelly washer.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 11:14:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Speed Queen. Built like a tank.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 11:15:13 AM EDT
[#7]
New cheap top load. Your wallet will thank you and it will last longer than the fancy front loaders.

No matter how many fancy buttons dials and chrome trim they all just wash stuff and they all just dry things.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 11:15:55 AM EDT
[#8]
We have a top loader without a central agitator.  I love it.  Big enough to hold a king comforter or a sleeping bag.

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 11:17:05 AM EDT
[#9]
I've had both. The front-end ones get nasty, black slimy grime around the inside of the inner seal. I've never found them to be as reliable as the top loaders.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 11:20:36 AM EDT
[#10]
We are shopping now as well and are mainly looking at topload.

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 11:22:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've had both. The front-end ones get nasty, black slimy grime around the inside of the inner seal. I've never found them to be as reliable as the top loaders.
View Quote

well allrighty then, based up on this and other comments, I'll be more open minded about the next one
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 11:25:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Front loaders tend to beat themselves to death as well.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 11:26:30 AM EDT
[#13]
went front load on the last set. has been reliable so far.

still, i won't do that again.

top loaders next time.

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 11:27:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Speed Queen. Built like a tank.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 11:32:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Top loader on the washer.  You can leave the lid open when not in use to avoid any odors and not have a big (open) washer door in your way all of the time.  Additionally, I'm a big believer in gravity and don't trust a front loading washer door.

Off topic:  Our last washer/dryer set were 1986 kenmore models we bought used for $100 from a PFC a hoard of children.  The dryer died in 2011 and the washer made it until 2013.  I doubt I will get 25 years out of my new washer/dryer set.

I see front loading washers like 3D TVs, they are eventually going to fade into obscurity.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 11:53:23 AM EDT
[#16]
If not indoors, like a garage, definitely top loader. We moved from having an indoor laundry room to having the front loader in the garage and now are constantly fighting mildew out of the washer. We will never get a front loader in Florida again. YMMV in a different climate though.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 11:54:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I need a new washer and drier.   Front loader or top?   I would think the top loader makes more sense, but have heard the frone is easier on clothes.
View Quote

Go to HD or Lowe's and get a scratch and dent from the showroom floor. Same warranty, less money. Do I GAS about a scratch??? No. Does it work JUST LIKE a NIB machine? YES. D'oh decision made. And fuck front loader washers. Way overpriced, smelly, don't clean for shit. Stick with top load washer! For the dryer, find the cheapest top or front loader you can find. All there is to go wrong is: element, motor, switches, rollers and belt. ALL easily replaced DIY, and parts are cheap and readily available online. ymmv
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:06:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The washer is a top loader without the agitator post in the middle, kind of like a front load washer but turned on it's side so it's a top loader as nature intended.

No complaints so far.
View Quote

I've heard the top load high efficiency washers were very bad.  They try to weigh the water which causes all kinds of problems because different materials soak up water differently.  You end up with clothes on top that never really get washed.  Hope you're not experiencing that.  Front load for the win.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:07:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

You have to let them dry out after a load.  We leave the door on the washer open a little all the time and have never experienced any of the bad smells or growth that other people talk about.  This is going on almost 3 years now.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:21:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

That slime is actually black mold. The local news did a story on front loads and basically said if you don't let it air dry after every wash, plus clean the seal regularly,  plus replace the seal every couple years, the washer will start to grow black mold which could make you sick.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:22:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I've heard the top load high efficiency washers were very bad.  They try to weigh the water which causes all kinds of problems because different materials soak up water differently.  You end up with clothes on top that never really get washed.  Hope you're not experiencing that.  Front load for the win.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No complaints so far.

I've had a Samsung HE top loader for 2 years and have not had that issue.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:38:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Have a front load for 9 years and it will be my last.  Top load for us going forward.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:44:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No complaints so far.

I did a lot of research before buying this set, and I know what you're referring to.  I decided that based on the price and features, everything that I had read, and the return policy, I'd be willing to take the risk.

It works just fine.  It measures a dry load of clothes, adds a little water, measures again, and then does it's thing.  The funny thing about this washer dryer set is that the time it takes to do it's thing has been reversed.  IOW, it takes longer to wash a load than it does to dry it, when I'm used to it being the other way around.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:44:36 PM EDT
[#24]
I too vote for a new cheap top loader.  The front loaders are a pain in the butt from the experience i have had using them/

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:48:07 PM EDT
[#25]
18mo ago my 10y old washer went ka-put.  I bought another used one off Craigs List and it lasted 3 days (I got screwed).  So I went to Lowes and bought one of those front loader's from Samsung that was on clearance for $500.  About 10d later my (old) dryer went ka-put.  So back to Lowes and bought the matching dryer to the new washer for $500 on clearance.  My electric bill went down about $12/mo, my clothes are cleaner, it is faster, it washes larger loads, its quieter, and it is gentler on the garments.

I have no clue why I waited so long to get a new set.  In 18mo I think that they have paid for themselves in time savings, electric savings, and reduced wear and tear on my clothes.  Plus I can launder my own king size duvet now instead of having to take it somewhere because it wouldn't fit in my old washer.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:50:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Last year, bought this combo, no issues.   I don't like fancy-pancy appliances.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-7-0-cu-ft-Electric-Dryer-in-White-GTDP220EFWW/204077102
View Quote

i bought this set last weekend.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:52:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Front load dryer and top load washer.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:55:42 PM EDT
[#28]
I have the LG front loaders.  Only downside is that you MUST leave the door on the washer open EVERY time to let it dry out after a load of clothes.  Otherwise you get the moldy clothes smell.  I have mine in a closet so I can leave the washer door cracked open and close the closet door.  Works great.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:10:14 PM EDT
[#29]
It used to be that $600 would buy you a top-of-the-line top loader that would last 15 or 20 years

Now there are front loaders that cost $1500

I don't get it

why does anyone want to spend $1500 on a washer?

It's some kind of weird brainwashing program on the American consumer.  Maybe run by the CIA?

When in your life were you ever disappointed in how clean your clothes came out of the top loading washer?

But now you heard grown men oohing and aahing over "how much better" front loading washers are

brainwashing

next they'll introduce patio furniture with platinum alloy and everyone will be commenting about how their old furniture was had too much cast iron

you just simply cannot be comfortable on cast iron patio furniture, it has to have platinum alloy

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:13:01 PM EDT
[#30]
no probs with our Kenmore front load---as far as I can tell it doesn't smell.  

not sure if good or bad, but I heard running some DISH washer powder thru it cleans em up--and they make cleaner stuff too specifically fro that.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:16:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Go with a traditional top loader with an agitator.  They wash better.

We have some fancy HE top loader that's a Whirlpool Cabrio Platinum.  It sucks washing on normal setting.  I tend to wash on the bulk setting because it uses more water and doesn't twist up the clothes as bad on normal.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:17:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Buy the least expensive, highest capacity, top load washer with abundant and inexpensive replacement parts.  The fewer the dials and gizmos, the better.  Less that will break.  Same goes for dryer.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:19:06 PM EDT
[#33]
GD's recommendation for reliability and durability:

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:24:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Buy the least expensive, highest capacity, top load washer with abundant and inexpensive replacement parts.  The fewer the dials and gizmos, the better.  Less that will break.  Same goes for dryer.
View Quote

This is exactly what a repair man told me last week. My $1200 front load Samsung shit the bed after 3 years and the parts/labor would have been $975 to fix
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:27:06 PM EDT
[#35]
We have a Samsung front loader washer/dryer, going on 3 years.  Not a single problem, works great.

LG and Samsung looked comparable when we were shopping,  but for the steam feature, LG had a reservoir you had to periodically fill, whereas Samsung was just plumbed directly for the water source.  Seemed to be a bit better thought out, so we went Samsung.  Either would probably be fine.

Welcome to the 21st century.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:38:40 PM EDT
[#36]
I just replaced my front loader with an LG top loader.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:48:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:56:43 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
That slime is actually black mold. The local news did a story on front loads and basically said if you don't let it air dry after every wash, plus clean the seal regularly,  plus replace the seal every couple years, the washer will start to grow black mold which could make you sick.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

We air dried it by leaving it open anytime we weren't doing wash in it. The "slime" in our case wasn't black mold but residual dirt and mildew (you could smell it). Probably didn't help our wash room is not under air...here in FL

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:19:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
We have a Samsung front loader washer/dryer, going on 3 years.  Not a single problem, works great.

LG and Samsung looked comparable when we were shopping,  but for the steam feature, LG had a reservoir you had to periodically fill, whereas Samsung was just plumbed directly for the water source.  Seemed to be a bit better thought out, so we went Samsung.  Either would probably be fine.

View Quote

Ha! Ok. Read the post above yours. That was exactly my experience the day before mine crapped out  After the bearings went....not so much. Do a little research on Samsung washers
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 5:12:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Ha! Ok. Read the post above yours. That was exactly my experience the day before mine crapped out  After the bearings went....not so much. Do a little research on Samsung washers
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I won't hold my breath.  Just about every company seems to have a percentage of issues come up, but that doesn't mean all of them do.

I just checked inside my washer - no black slime of death.  Maybe I should just throw everything in the garbage anyway just to be safe.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 5:40:04 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

View Quote

My Whirlpool Cabrio has no such issues.  Been running and cleaning great for several years.

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 5:43:22 PM EDT
[#42]
whatever you do, don't get a damn samsung washer....

had one for a year now, serves a household of two adults, and already is crapped out.  waiting on the service call, thank god my wife convinced me to get the warranty.  

I should have read reviews first...they are all unanimous in that this washer sucks.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 5:46:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Back in 07 I bought cheap shit Maytag top loader washer (non-HE) and a front loader dryer from Home Depot for 325... for both.

Both still work flawlessly 8 years later.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 5:51:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Gotta love GD for threads like this. Anything new or more efficient is shouted down because older technology is "better" and only leftists use front load washers.

I've had a Whirlpool Duet HT washer and dryer just over 13 years now. On the washer I've only had the waste water pump die, which was an easy and cheap replacement. On the dryer I've only had the thermostat die, which was an easy and cheap replacement also. I'd say that's pretty good for machines that have been used about 3 days a week for a few loads each time for the past 13 years.

As for them not washing properly? Use fucking HE detergent, in the proper amount. As for them getting nasty or smelly? Leave the door cracked open when done to allow air to circulate and the drum to dry. Not hard at all, but of course, in arfcom GD something that's newer, quieter, more efficient, and overall better is bad for exactly those reasons. Just like how it sucks that kids these days don't work from the age of 8 coal mines and corporal punishment is not used in schools.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 5:56:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted: As for them getting nasty or smelly? Leave the door cracked open when done to allow air to circulate and the drum to dry.  
View Quote

That's really not possible if you live in a hot, humid place.

Also I can buy 2-3 pairs of cheap shit washers and dryers for the price of an HE unit.

The negligible water and electricity savings over the cost of the unit isn't worth laundry that is "kinda clean."
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 6:00:36 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Gotta love GD for threads like this. Anything new or more efficient is shouted down because older technology is "better" and only leftists use front load washers.

I've had a Whirlpool Duet HT washer and dryer just over 13 years now. On the washer I've only had the waste water pump die, which was an easy and cheap replacement. On the dryer I've only had the thermostat die, which was an easy and cheap replacement also. I'd say that's pretty good for machines that have been used about 3 days a week for a few loads each time for the past 13 years.

As for them not washing properly? Use fucking HE detergent, in the proper amount. As for them getting nasty or smelly? Leave the door cracked open when done to allow air to circulate and the drum to dry. Not hard at all, but of course, in arfcom GD something that's newer, quieter, more efficient, and overall better is bad for exactly those reasons. Just like how it sucks that kids these days don't work from the age of 8 coal mines and corporal punishment is not used in schools.
View Quote
Your HE washer is most likely "more efficient" at not using as much water, but not at getting clothes clean. I'm buying a washer to clean my clothes, not save Mother Earth. I "love" how HE front-loaders flop your clothes, stop, and then flop them again... and this is supposed to classify as "washing."  And since my HE is long-gone, we no longer have to deal with mildewy smells in our new top-loading washer. YMMV.

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 6:04:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Also I can buy 2-3 pairs of cheap shit washers and dryers for the price of an HE unit.

The negligible water and electricity savings over the cost of the unit isn't worth laundry that is "kinda clean."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted: As for them getting nasty or smelly? Leave the door cracked open when done to allow air to circulate and the drum to dry.  

Run an empty load on a short cycle with hot water and some TSP and household bleach once a month to keep the inside clean and mold free. If heat and humidity is THAT high where you live to still cause mold/mildew to grow, it'll do so in a standard washer that is the object of arfcom's circle jerk as well.  

EVERY manufacturer has units that are lemons, and some of their models are better than others.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 6:05:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. Top load washer with center agitator for washer, front load dryer.

My sister drank the front load washer Kool-aid, and has regretted it dearly. Brand new washer has been repaired 3 times in one year. Plus she says when it does work, it does a crap job cleaning. She is only keeping it until the second year of the extended warranty expires, then it is back to a top load.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 6:06:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 6:09:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Your HE washer is most likely "more efficient" at not using as much water, but not at getting clothes clean. I'm buying a washer to clean my clothes, not save Mother Earth. I "love" how HE front-loaders flop your clothes, stop, and then flop them again... and this is supposed to classify as "washing."  And since my HE is long-gone, we no longer have to deal with mildewy smells in our new top-loading washer. YMMV.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Of course, you're here examining my clothes to know that my washer isn't cleaning them. Funny, I've never had a problem with my washer cleaning things I wash in it. Be it clothes, rags I use to clean the house, or towels I use to wash/wax my car. Then again I use the proper cycle and water temperature, use quality detergents, and I get good results. In 13 years I've never had mold or mildew in my washer, or what I wash in it smell as such. Funny again, how using something properly I get good results.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top