Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/4/2015 3:08:38 AM EDT
So I have a breaker that's overheating. Plastic melty smells, real hot and tripped today.

The one breaker is 15A, and it controls both bedrooms. I live in a duplex and never paid attention until now. I had 2 window AC units running at the time and nothing else. I'm assuming that this caused the problems the first time.

Popped the breaker let her cool down turned everything off and then reset the breaker once it was cold. Turned one AC on since that's usually what runs at night and the breaker is warm again, I can hold my hand on it just fine but I'm just not sure if I should trust it.

I'm assuming at this point I need to call the landlord tomorrow and have the breaker replaced, but with how they operate I bet they don't come for a week.

So, leave it on and assume the breaker will trip if needed? Sleep in the sweltering heat tonight and no power? Or just run to Wal-Mart and play at home electrician myself?
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 3:23:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Always play electrician by yourself. Nothing can or does ever go wrong.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 3:32:47 AM EDT
[#2]
15 amp is light duty. Go get a 12 gauge extension cord and plug it in a heftier circuit for now. Get ready for the LL to not give a shit
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 3:56:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
15 amp is light duty. Go get a 12 gauge extension cord and plug it in a heftier circuit for now. Get ready for the LL to not give a shit
View Quote

That's what I thought, especially for two bedrooms.  Yet there's 3 20A breakers for just the kitchen....
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 4:02:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Two A\C is too much for a 15 amp circuit.  Is the braker box close to one of the units ?
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 4:17:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Two A\C is too much for a 15 amp circuit.  Is the braker box close to one of the units ?
View Quote

Figured that now. Never thought that both bedrooms were on one breaker.

Box is maybe 10' from the closest room. There's a set of stairs in between.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 4:22:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Shit usually catches fire at night, while you sleep.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 4:26:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just wondering if there was a way to run a new wire to the closest A\C Use another breaker and plug. Just run  it so it out of the way.

I have an older hose I needed to run a window unit while we where installing central air.

Ran a line from the box and put a plug in a loose box behing the radiator by coming up through a hole in the floor. I put one in each bedroom. If the central air ever goes out I can pop in a small window unit
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 4:28:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Shit usually catches fire at night, while you sleep.
View Quote

Only thing running in the rooms are 2 cellphone chargers and a laptop. I'm assuming that won't cause problems tonight. Figured I'll mix the landlord and just replace it myself in the morning.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 4:29:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Just wondering if there was a way to run a new wire to the closest A\C Use another breaker and plug. Just run  it so it out of the way.

I have an older hose I needed to run a window unit while we where installing central air.

Ran a line from the box and put a plug in a loose box behing the radiator by coming up through a hole in the floor. I put one in each bedroom. If the central air ever goes out I can pop in a small window unit
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Too much work. It's a rental and I only care enough to keep me happy till I move out.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 4:44:07 AM EDT
[#10]
What brand breaker?

If it's FPE or zinsco I would not trust it.

If you smell plastic burning ,it's probably due to the buss the breaker plugs into is bad and melting the plastic that supports the buss.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 7:15:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 7:16:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Best to put a higher rated breaker in the panel to move the burning plastic smell into the walls where it will take longer to get out.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 7:21:15 AM EDT
[#13]
In before the majic smoke is releases?

In before the potential house fire?

Nameplate rating of the two units plus other loads, if over 1800 Watts total, breaker should be tripping.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 7:46:40 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

What brand breaker?

If you smell plastic burning ,it's probably due to the buss the breaker plugs into is bad and melting the plastic that supports the buss.
View Quote

OP, you need to listen to him.

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 8:24:30 AM EDT
[#15]
I'd replace the breaker, would not trust it after it has been that hot. Agree that you should take a look at the area in the panel where the breaker resides as has been stated and check for damage.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 8:34:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Federal Pacific brand?  Is so,  then this is normal.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:17:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
What brand breaker?

View Quote

Font see any brand names on it, and I don't want to pull it apart until I'm set to replace it. They look like they are 50 years old.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 3:01:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Font see any brand names on it, and I don't want to pull it apart until I'm set to replace it. They look like they are 50 years old.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What brand breaker?

Well you'll need to know the brand for sure first before you can buy the right part.

Blue, green, white , red.......breakers? Could be zinsco. And have all the breakers lined up straight down the line. They are not half on left other half on right.

Red painted tips on the breakers are probably FPE. Federal Pacific Electric "stab lok" . They have half left half right , and ususally a main breaker that feeds the bottom half of the panel.

Both are fire hazards. Fix it before the inevitable fire.

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 3:32:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top