BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 23
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 7:44:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
One can have faith in God, use logic and believe in science.
View Quote

Politico is the wrench that's recklessly handled over the workings of such a fine machine.  
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 7:46:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I was guilty of suspending my logic for decades as a religious person.   I've been out of religion for five years and I feel as though the truth (Science and logic) has set me free. Anyone else come to this conclusion after years in religion?  

Why are we so logical and analytical in every other aspect of our lives?  But when it comes to God and religion we suspend all forms of logic and common sense.  

This is not a bashing thread, I was one of the religious people who believed for years and years, I get it.   It is just an interesting phenomenon.

View Quote

Troll thread but I'll answer seriously anyhow.

The answer is Faith.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 7:55:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Faith.

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 7:56:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
That's the problem with logic.  It can be constructed to support any theory, as long as you believe it to be true.  The problem with ID is that it can't be tested.  Thus, it's faith, not science.
View Quote

I am delighted to see that someone has finally admitted that logic, while a good and helpful thing, is not always the way to truth.

Can we test the Big Bang Theory, or do we have to rely on logic to reason out that something that we can't possibly observe, much less test, is the most sensible conclusion? If we can't test it, would you characterize belief in that theory as the result of faith, or science?
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 7:59:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I pose a different question. Why do atheists feel the need to "prove" their "intellectual superiority"?    I will assume it has to do with finding the first pubic hair growing on their scrotum and now they believe they know everything. You atheists remind me of vegans or any other gay hipster trendy shit. First, you never shut up about it. Even when no one asked you.  Second, you love to show how much better you are then a "bunch of dumb hicks".
View Quote

Dude, stop.  Just stop.  

You make it sound like atheists network with one another, stay up late at night hitting the books to construct this proof when such toil is completely unnecessary.  This proof you mention is self-evident to anyone not mired in religious dogma.  

Obtaining this proof is more child's play than hustle; but the values of such proof is fleeting: simply change the topic to something other than another's own religion and that proof disappears.  The separation of church and state is not an atheistic plot; it's just common sense.  The separation recognizes that people obviously can't separate their religion from their politics when they conflict; and within a government constructed such that logic and reason shall prevail, religion doesn't belong because it can conflict.  It's an intellectual tragedy that dogmatists who're otherwise intelligent and objective, subjectively won't let themselves see this truth.    
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 8:05:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I am delighted to see that someone has finally admitted that logic, while a good and helpful thing, is not always the way to truth.

Can we test the Big Bang Theory, or do we have to rely on logic to reason out that something that we can't possibly observe, much less test, is the most sensible conclusion? If we can't test it, would you characterize belief in that theory as the result of faith, or science?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's the problem with logic.  It can be constructed to support any theory, as long as you believe it to be true.  The problem with ID is that it can't be tested.  Thus, it's faith, not science.

Objectivity?  How does that work in ones logic playtime?  
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 8:13:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Why do I believe? Because it is a practical and logical thing to do based upon my personal experiences. I see prayers answered! I see God's signature on everything around me. My faith is an extension of these observations.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 8:15:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I was guilty of suspending my logic for decades as a religious person.   I've been out of religion for five years and I feel as though the truth (Science and logic) has set me free. Anyone else come to this conclusion after years in religion?  

Why are we so logical and analytical in every other aspect of our lives?  But when it comes to God and religion we suspend all forms of logic and common sense.  

This is not a bashing thread, I was one of the religious people who believed for years and years, I get it.   It is just an interesting phenomenon.

View Quote

No, no you don't.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 8:20:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Let's explore this scenario:

Bob is a conservative candidate who supports the 2nd and all thing Americana, but ignores religion in his campaign.

Chris is a 'conservative' candidate who wants sensible gun control and other skullduggery, but prays to the Lord before every speech.

CNN runs a news story citing that although Bob is a self proclaimed conservative, Bob's lack of prayer bring up the question, "Is Bob an atheist?"  Bob simply responds that the question is irrelevant to one on board with the separation of church and state.  The question backfires on the Communist News Network when Bob's answer leads the middle-voters to 'like' him.  But dang, the Christian Right vows to either vote for Chris or not vote at all--which secretly was CNN's tact all along.

...See how it works?  The Christian Right is in a dogma-box that the Left drag around with them to be opened revealing the content when it suits their political goal.  W politics, the Right should keep their dogma in their churches where it has a 'good' political effect and not let the Left use it as a tool to their end.  

The Left, though they might be going to hell in the afterlife, laugh all the way to their elected offices in this life, and the Right's own religion is plays a large part in their victories.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 8:26:14 AM EDT
[#10]
So, you've 'reasoned' God out of your life.

Why do you now obsess over whether he exists or not?

Why bother others with your reasoning?  

Are you now feeling lonely without God?
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 8:27:39 AM EDT
[#11]
One will wonder, again, how many of the pro-Christian Right posters on this board are really in bed with the Left because:

A) they'll get busy refuting the plain-as-day point in the 2nd above post or

B) they'll ignore it because they want the thread to die thus minimizing ARFCOM's exposure to it.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 8:33:48 AM EDT
[#12]
If God created the planet and humans, explain the dinosaurs and proven evolution in our own species and others.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 8:38:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Lol thought this was a thread pointing out that every major scientific mind until Darwin was a theist...

Or that you basically can't hold that moral authority exists on any scale w/o a supreme being....

Or That the very concept of logic is  systematic and that a multitude of brains process logically is more indicative of a logistical programmer rather that a series of ransom events....without cause

godless logic

Nice troll OP

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 8:43:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If God created the planet and humans, explain the dinosaurs and proven evolution in our own species and others.
View Quote

seriously?

What about dinos?  They are in the Bible

No logical believer denies micro evolution ( within the same species)

Macro evolution though?

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 8:46:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Because people are afraid of death and will go through any mental gymnastics necessary to glean some comfort on the subject.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 8:57:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Nice troll OP

View Quote

...Way to victimize yourself, Matt

Agnosticism is what happens when objectivity is applied to the topic of religion.

[A]theism happens when agnostics value intellectually honesty more than they value maximizing their popularity.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 9:00:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

seriously?

Macro evolution though?

https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/hphotos-xaf1/t51.2885-15/s320x320/e15/11427387_901782453216219_1788885934_n.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

seriously?

Macro evolution though?

https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/hphotos-xaf1/t51.2885-15/s320x320/e15/11427387_901782453216219_1788885934_n.jpg

Micro evolutions, over a period of time, is macro evolution.

Continual mutations over a long time will eventually result in something that is extremely different than what you started with,
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 9:03:37 AM EDT
[#18]
You enlightened Athiests elected Obama into office twice. So don't preach to me about being logical and analytical.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 9:09:57 AM EDT
[#19]
1 Corinthians 3:19
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 9:10:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Lol I use to be just like you OP, and when I picked up that book and started to read, it all made more and more sense then any science or logic I had before. Im sorry you lost your faith, that's your problem. Or maybe you had none to begin with.

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 9:24:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Agnosticism is what happens when objectivity is applied to the topic of religion.

[A]theism happens when agnostics value intellectually honesty more than they value maximizing their popularity.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice troll OP

Care to challenge my points with intellectual honesty?
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 9:26:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
One will wonder, again, how many of the pro-Christian Right posters on this board are really in bed with the Left because:

B) they'll ignore it because they want the thread to die thus minimizing ARFCOM's exposure to it.
View Quote

you don't want to go there
I would guess most atheist are liberals that would take away our guns .
there are idiots on both sides.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 9:33:44 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
1st post DOESN'T nail it.  I am asking a sincere question
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Troll thread

1st post DOESN'T nail it.  I am asking a sincere question
Fear.

It's the only motivator for control. To control the masses, those in power must instil fear in the subjects.

The controllers could be parents over their kids, the gov over the citizens...or before governments; it was the church.

Without fear, there would be anarchy...not everyone would go crazy, but without rules/laws and consequences...natural law would take place and the weak would surely be at the shit end of things.

Until one sheds the emotion of fear, they can never be free.

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 9:35:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice troll OP

View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

With respect to the purple highlight--sure.  

I won't bother challenging your dogma as it's a fools errand.  

...Care to comment on this scenario?

Bob is a conservative candidate who supports the 2nd and all thing Americana, but ignores religion in his campaign.

Chris is a 'conservative' candidate who wants sensible gun control and other skullduggery, but prays to the Lord before every speech.

CNN runs a news story citing that although Bob is a self proclaimed conservative, Bob's lack of prayer bring up the question, "Is Bob an atheist?" Bob simply responds that the question is irrelevant to one on board with the separation of church and state. The question backfires on the Communist News Network when Bob's answer leads the middle-voters to 'like' him. But dang, the Christian Right vows to either vote for Chris or not vote at all--which secretly was CNN's tact all along.

...See how it works? The Christian Right is in a dogma-box that the Left drag around with them to be opened revealing the content when it suits their political goal. W politics, the Right should keep their dogma in their churches where it has a 'good' political effect and not let the Left use it as a tool to their end.

The Left, though they might be going to hell in the afterlife, laugh all the way to their elected offices in this life, and the Right's own religion plays a large part in their victories.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 9:46:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

CNN runs a news story citing that although Bob is a self proclaimed conservative, Bob's lack of prayer bring up the question, "Is Bob an atheist?" Bob simply responds that the question is irrelevant to one on board with the separation of church and state. The question backfires on the Communist News Network when Bob's answer leads the middle-voters to 'like' him. But dang, the Christian Right vows to either vote for Chris or not vote at all--which secretly was CNN's tact all along.

...See how it works? The Christian Right is in a dogma-box that the Left drag around with them to be opened revealing the content when it suits their political goal. W politics, the Right should keep their dogma in their churches where it has a 'good' political effect and not let the Left use it as a tool to their end.

The Left, though they might be going to hell in the afterlife, laugh all the way to their elected offices in this life, and the Right's own religion plays a large part in their victories.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice troll OP

I don't necessarily disagree with your scenario....Rand is my guy.... Though he's not my "faith favorite flavor"... I have no idea what that has to do with what I said and
you still are dodging my initial points.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 9:48:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Why is believing in God illogical?   Doesn't intelligent design make sense?
View Quote

I always felt that the more you learn the more you do not know.  I have never felt science and God were in conflict.  In fact, I thinks physics is God's art.

And to think science provides answers also requires faith.   How many other dimensions are now needed to explain our existence "scirntifically."
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 9:51:01 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nice troll OP

The left never laughs or enjoys anything. It a life of constant angst.

We have a fall back position called "Burn the Witch".

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 9:56:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Who says we suspend logic when it comes to God? I certainly haven't.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:04:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sincerely, I don't know.  Sincerely too, whether it's true or false, I believe a believer's dogma subjectively leads him to an assumption that atheists are overwhelmingly leftist.  I strongly suspect dogma won't let the believer 'think' atheists are anything but Satan's minions.  (That's the point of the scenario.)  Atheism is a natural enemy of Christianity's politics, but atheism isn't necessarily bad for America. It's sure that from the RR's PoV there shall be no extension of conservatism's arms to welcome the atheist, but by no means is that truth expected to keep y'all from driving atheists to the extended arms of the Left, especially younger ones.

I'm sure they exist but I don't know an atheist who's a leftist.  The atheists I know get the wisdom of the Constitution and the necessity of SoCaS.   One needn't believe in [G]od to achieve AFRCOM nirvana in "getting both".  

Sincerely asked questions: (The Left are as vociferous about their tenants as the RR.) Do you have a reason to believe atheists are overwhelmingly leftists other than information provided by the media?  Is it possible you believe atheists are overwhelmingly leftists because they've 'suckered' you into wanting to believe it?   Can you see the value to the Left in such disinformation glibly believed by Christians?
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:05:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I know, right. Our loving father will burn and torture me in hell, forever, for thinking that bible stories are not logical. Damn me all to hell.
Amen.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is clearly a troll thread, but I'll bite.

Only human arrogance would allow the created, to believe that they know more than the Creator.  

When we believe that our logic has become so great, that we're too smart to believe in a higher power, we have then reached the level of arrogance I mentioned above.  

Many people have a rude awakening coming.  But of course that's illogical, so you have nothing to worry about.

I know, right. Our loving father will burn and torture me in hell, forever, for thinking that bible stories are not logical. Damn me all to hell.
Amen.

It is righteous for God to destroy evil and those who disobey Him.  But there is no hell.  The word Sheol (which is frequently translated as hell) in Hebrew means "The Grave."  In the Greek, the word used is Hades - outside of mythology - also means the common grave of mankind.  

No loving God would ever torture people for eternity.  Instead, if you are destroyed as part of God's righteous judgment, you are simply dead...  Conscious of nothing.   Gone.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:09:52 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

...snip...

The left never laughs or enjoys anything. It a life of constant angst.

...snip...

View Quote

Their life is all about political submissiveness.  That's what I call them: "Political Submissives".  I truly believe it is an identifiable mental disorder like sexual submissiveness is. The Left's activity in politics is very similar to a sexual submissive's activity in sexual relationships.  They 'get off' acting contrary to their own political self interest.  
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:13:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I don't necessarily disagree with your scenario....Rand is my guy.... Though he's not my "faith favorite flavor"... I have no idea what that has to do with what I said and
View Quote

Thanks for reading it carefully.  Would you vote for Bob if he answered CNN's inquiry with "That's because I'm an atheist"?  

I haven't noted your "initial points".  Perhaps they were posted earlier--I haven't read through the whole thread.

What are these points?  If these points aren't dogmatic, I'll play.  
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:20:02 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why is believing in God illogical?   Doesn't intelligent design make sense?

This.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:24:29 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To put it another way, "A train of impeccable logic may lead to a conclusion which is total bullshit."
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:27:50 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Thanks for reading it carefully.  Would you vote for Bob if he answered CNN's inquiry with "That's because I'm an atheist"?  

I haven't noted your "initial points".  Perhaps they were posted earlier--I haven't read through the whole thread.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As my definition of believer is one who seeks to "love and obey Jesus"... I don't think I have ever cast the vote for someone who actually met those guidelines on the national level.. So yes I would vote for Bob

The three reasons that logic points to a theistic being were mentioned in the very first post of mine that you quoted
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:28:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

1. The dinosaurs all drowned in the flood.

2. Evolution is bullshit.

There, I've done it.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:28:37 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:28:49 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

To put it another way, "A train of impeccable logic may lead to a conclusion which is total bullshit."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Objectivity? How does that work in ones logic playtime?
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:30:04 AM EDT
[#39]

...nor political poll.  
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:31:45 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you never seen the results of the many, many, polls done on arfcom about religious denomination?  You know what percentage are agnostic/atheist?  The results are very consistent, too.  If you think most atheists are also liberals who would take away your guns, then you must think that close to half the population of GD is also composed of "liberals who would take away your guns".
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:31:59 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:34:54 AM EDT
[#42]
using science, reason, and mathematics it is impossible to come to the conclusion that the entire universe was all an accident
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:40:42 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

The three reasons that logic points to a theistic being were mentioned in the very first post of mine that you quoted
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Below?  I took the liberty to number them.

Quoted:

1) Lol thought this was a thread pointing out that every major scientific mind until Darwin was a theist...

2) Or that you basically can't hold that moral authority exists on any scale w/o a supreme being....

3) Or That the very concept of logic is  systematic and that a multitude of brains process logically is more indicative of a logistical programmer rather that a series of ransom events....without cause

If you can take the word of an atheist, know that not only do I feel I don't get your three points, I'm not even finding them.  
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:44:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Are you saying we should be forbidden to speak of such things?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Troll thread

Why do atheists take it so personal? Why do atheists interject their bullshit on faithful without a prompt?

Atheists are no better than the radical gay marriage crowd, the pro abortion crowd, etc. They have to start a fight where there is none to justify the hole in their explanations for everything?

Are you saying we should be forbidden to speak of such things?

Lol. Because that's exactly what he said, wasn't it?

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:47:48 AM EDT
[#45]

Why do so many of my fellow atheists worry about what others believe to be the truth?
The only thing that bother me about them is when they attempt to legislate my morality. Other than that,
I'd leave them to their own devices.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:53:36 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

[I failed at re-posting the joke.]  

It wouldn't be too hard at all to rewrite that to make religion (pick one of the several that don't agree with each other each dead certain they're right and the other camp is wrong) seem even more absurd.
View Quote

It wouldn't be hard at all, but still, you would overcomplicate the task.

It's child's play:

Quoted:
using science, reason, and mathematics it is impossible to come to the conclusion that the entire universe was all an accident
View Quote

The damned are stupid for even trying to explain the universe.  Why can't they be like the smart ones and realize that not religion generally, hells no, but rather ones own religion and it alone that explains the entire universe.

...And Matt,

I just realized your three points were in the big sign that I thought was just a joke.  

See above.  (I have experience in this matter.  I won't bother countering those three point with more than generalities.)
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:53:56 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

There, I've done it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There, I've done it.

You're not being serious, are you?
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:55:51 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

The only thing that bother me about them is when they attempt to legislate my morality.
View Quote

Pray tell: If not to legislate morality what business does religion have in politics?  
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 11:03:06 AM EDT
[#49]
If I am capable of grasping God objectively, I do not believe, but precisely because I cannot do this I must believe.

Soren Kierkegaard
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 11:13:57 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There, I've done it.

Only about half.  
Page / 23
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top