Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 23
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 2:39:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The materialistic assumption excludes, without question the possibility of any further fact about existence beyond the material.
View Quote

this is an excellent post overall, but i have to take issue here.  

the materialist assumption in science is epistemological, not ontological.  IOW, science does not make the claim that nothing exists beyond physical matter and causes.  for example, science doesn't say that lightning is certainly not the result of thor striking his anvil--it merely presumes that there is a physical cause, for methodological reasons.  if you allow the possibility that the supernatural is involved in nature, then no science can ever get done, because nothing can ever be ruled out.  the cause for anything might be magic, but that possibility doesn't help us understand the physical world.

the paradigmatic example comes from newton and planetary motion.  astronomers had already established heliocentric orbits pretty well, but no one could figure out what force could cause the orbits.  IIRC it was kepler or brahe who claimed that angels pushed the planets around.  newton discarded that notion, and assumed that natural events were the results of natural causes.  universal gravitation proved to be a pretty good explanation, replacing supernatural causation.

in short, the scientific method is just another way of saying "let's ignore magic, and see if we can find a natural cause to account for this physical event."  this does not in any way exclude the possibility that magic might exist.  it just means that such a cause is beyond the scope of science.

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 7:52:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Thomas Aquinas was clearly a moron; utterly lacking in logic and reason.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 8:02:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Honestly it has been the opposite for me. There is a hell of a lot science knows and can explain. But there is an equal amount of stuff that no one has any answers to even in this day and age of technology. Like zero plausible theories. The lack of answers and the vastness of things pushed me to question where did it all come from. Honestly what drove me to god was a couple college level astronomy courses. The vastness of the universe is impossible to put into perspective it is so huge and no one knows where it ends, where is begins or how it came to be..
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 8:53:18 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Honestly it has been the opposite for me. There is a hell of a lot science knows and can explain. But there is an equal amount of stuff that no one has any answers to even in this day and age of technology. Like zero plausible theories. The lack of answers and the vastness of things pushed me to question where did it all come from. Honestly what drove me to god was a couple college level astronomy courses. The vastness of the universe is impossible to put into perspective it is so huge and no one knows where it ends, where is begins or how it came to be..
View Quote

So because you (we) just happen to be alive at a point during the human timeline where we don't have EVERY answer, the default for that which we've yet to learn is "because god"?

You do realize that at a point on the human timeline many generations ago, the (at the time) frightening and unknown nature of thunder was explained and believed to be caused by god(s) being angry. How many people today do you think still hold that belief?

Discovery, knowledge and facts have since replaced such mythology and folklore and have with innumerable other examples.

Does it occur to you that the same process continues? That we are at a point on the same timeline, further down that road, but where we simply haven't yet discovered all of the facts behind that which we don't know today?

History is replete with the obvious human nature to assign explanation and understanding to that which is, at the time, unknown. It obviously has served the purpose of comfort and reassurance, despite the incredibly lengthy list of things and events that were formally assigned to a god(s) doing, that we've since drawn a line through as valid, factual, evidence based knowledge has replaced these things as we continue to discover and learn.

Our place on the timeline of human learning and discovery is somewhere in the middle....and certainly not at the end. We may not live to see the facts be discovered in our lifetimes, much the same as many who thought thunder was caused by god(s) anger. I'm sure many of those folks went to their graves still believing that, as no better explanation existed prior to their death. But looking back, quite clearly in their haste to assign explanation, we know they were well intentioned....but very obviously wrong.

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 8:59:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

If it is historically accurate, it is true.. Otherwise it is historically inaccurate
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You still haven't explained to me how the "historical accuracy" proves the truth of the magical parts.

If it is historically accurate, it is true.. Otherwise it is historically inaccurate

I give up.

You are evading the question.

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 9:10:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

So because you (we) just happen to be alive at a point during the human timeline where we don't have EVERY answer, the default for that which we've yet to learn is "because god"?

You do realize that at a point on the human timeline many generations ago, the (at the time) frightening and unknown nature of thunder was explained and believed to be caused by god(s) being angry. How many people today do you think still hold that belief?

Discovery, knowledge and facts have since replaced such mythology and folklore and have with innumerable other examples.

Does it occur to you that the same process continues? That we are at a point on the same timeline, further down that road, but where we simply haven't yet discovered all of the facts behind that which we don't know today?

History is replete with the obvious human nature to assign explanation and understanding to that which is, at the time, unknown. It obviously has served the purpose of comfort and reassurance, despite the incredibly lengthy list of things and events that were formally assigned to a god(s) doing, that we've since drawn a line through as valid, factual, evidence based knowledge has replaced these things as we continue to discover and learn.

Our place on the timeline of human learning and discovery is somewhere in the middle....and certainly not at the end. We may not live to see the facts be discovered in our lifetimes, much the same as many who thought thunder was caused by god(s) anger. I'm sure many of those folks went to their graves still believing that, as no better explanation existed prior to their death. But looking back, quite clearly in their haste to assign explanation, we know they were well intentioned....but very obviously wrong.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes,yes it has and if/when such facts become available I am free to change me stance on the matter just as I did before. Until then I believe what I believe.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 9:13:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I read your link.  There are more original copies of Cinderella in the United States than original copies of biblical source documents, therefore by your links definition Cinderella is more historically accurate than the Bible.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your train of thought derailed....twice

I read your link.  There are more original copies of Cinderella in the United States than original copies of biblical source documents, therefore by your links definition Cinderella is more historically accurate than the Bible.

straw man argument...
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 9:19:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Being partly accurate doesn't automatically make it 100% accurate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You still haven't explained to me how the "historical accuracy" proves the truth of the magical parts.

That is kinda like saying "my Rifle is a 1 MOA rifle except for the constant fliers."  

If something is true, then it is true...if its off then its off.  

My position is that the Bible is accurate and true, and I have provided an objective historical standards that it meets as well as citations...

your position seems to be  that if is full of unexplainable fliers... show me the target.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 9:22:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Try to imagine that you weren't raised as a Christian but everything else about your life is the same. Now along come some people and they start telling you all about a great flood and an ark and someone listening to a talking burning bush and a god that has to have his son crucified so he can forgive you for something that someone else did thousands of years earlier or you couldn't get into this paradise after you're dead to live forever. Now he hasn't spoken again for thousands of years since. Would you really swallow all that
View Quote

Do you believe all truth resides in your personal experiences??
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 9:23:42 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Yes,yes it has and if/when such facts become available I am free to change me stance on the matter just as I did before. Until then I believe what I believe.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And there lies the crux of the matter.

Belief.....an explanation of some sort, without any facts and evidence is more important then the apparent discomfort of the unknown.

Personally speaking, I'm not only comfortable with not knowing something due to where my generation resides in human history....I also have confidence that during mine or another generation, the clear, continual and persistent pattern of discovery will continue as it has for thousands of years.

Oddly, as I type this in South Florida, its thundering right now. I'm glad I wasn't born 25,000 years ago, or I might be inclined to be terrified.  
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 9:25:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That is kinda like saying "my Rifle is a 1 MOA rifle except for the constant fliers."  

My position is that the Bible is accurate and true, and I have provided an objective historical standards that it meets as well as citations...

your position seems to be  that if is full of unexplainable fliers... show me the target.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fine. It's off.

ETA:

1. 6 literal days of creation - not consistent with evidence
2. Global flood - not consistent with evidence
3. Bats aren't birds
4. Pi isn't 3
5. Snakes don't talk
6. Numerous contradictions

The historical accuracy of the bible is the least important of the questionable parts.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 9:28:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I give up.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I give up.

I am evading?

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 9:30:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Fine. It's off.
View Quote

Excellent...show me where
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 9:35:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fine. It's off.

(Repost from edit above)

1. 6 literal days of creation - not consistent with evidence
2. Global flood - not consistent with evidence
3. Bats aren't birds
4. Pi isn't 3
5. Snakes don't talk
6. Numerous contradictions

The historical accuracy of the bible is the least important of the questionable parts.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 9:39:16 AM EDT
[#15]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I give up.

I am evading?

http://godevidence.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/miracles-450x348.jpg

How about me, am I evading?

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 9:39:20 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Try to imagine that you weren't raised as a Christian but everything else about your life is the same. Now along come some people and they start telling you all about a great flood and an ark and someone listening to a talking burning bush and a god that has to have his son crucified so he can forgive you for something that someone else did thousands of years earlier or you couldn't get into this paradise after you're dead to live forever. Now he hasn't spoken again for thousands of years since. Would you really swallow all that

I think God pretty much told us everything we need to know about getting to heaven in His book. Anything we don't understand we can ask Him later.  He may not have spoken directly to you or me, but that itch in our conscious that makes one wonder about things is His way of talking to us these days.  ymmv

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 9:55:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

i don't know what you two are arguing about, but that graphic is hilarious.  cross off the word "miracles", and substitute "chemtrails", "the power of crystals", or "mermaids".

i'm half-convinced that it's satire.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:01:28 AM EDT
[#18]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I give up.

I am evading?

https://theframeproblem.wordpress.com/files/2008/01/break-the-cycle.jpg

Except, I went with

1. it meets all historical test for accuracy,

2.  Has eyewitness accounts that confirm the same acts- Yet attribute them to different causes

3. HAs historical and archaeological supporting evidence.

Eta-yes , by posting that and ignoring my previous points you are evading
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:13:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I said as much halfway up the page. To say that a man named Jesus lives and such is not in dispute - only whether or not He is the deity He's claimed to be. That, of course, is a matter of FAITH; you either have it or you don't. <shrug>

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

An interesting read but very very long so I skimmed some of it, but still full of problems unfortunately. We have these tests that are supposed to show historical accuracy, yes. But can these tests really be applied to the bible? In my opinion they can't. The bible makes some pretty steep claims. None of these tests validate these claims, which are really at the center of discussion. I think you'll find that many Athiests, Agnostics, etc do believe that Jesus existed as a person and he may very well have been involved in these stories ascribed in the bible. But the only thing that gives Christianity validity is the supernatural claims made in the bible. I think for any Christians case to be made valid, they would have to wait a long time for someone to prove that the supernatural really did happen. This also extends to gods existence. Unfortunately it seems the wait will be long, and maybe even indefinite. So my point is that who cares what people believe. But if you're going to make claims like the stories in the bible being fact, you'll have to suffer through the people calling the inevitable bullshit. Because to be honest, they're just stories until then.

I know some are going to get butthurt over this (likely poorly written) comment, but I hope there are some here who see the validity in it.

I said as much halfway up the page. To say that a man named Jesus lives and such is not in dispute - only whether or not He is the deity He's claimed to be. That, of course, is a matter of FAITH; you either have it or you don't. <shrug>

I think it really is possible to apply some "logic and reason" to these claims, especially when it comes to examining the lives of the Apostles. Take Paul for instance, formally known as Saul, who was a Pharisee and a well known enemy of Christ, His followers, and the early Church. He was a highly educated legal scholar, highly regarded among the Jewish leadership, and he made it his mission in life to persue Christians anywhere they could be found and either jail them or kill them. He was infamous among the early Church as someone to be avoided at all costs.

So Ol' Saul and his posse of door-kickers were on their way to Damascus to lay down some hurt, warrants in hand BTW, when they were struck with a "light that outshined the sun".  A loud voice said "Saul, why do you persecute me?" It is then that the resurrected Jesus appeared to him and spoke more with him, again in front of witnesses. His vision was badly damaged and never did fully recover, and was a "thorn in the flesh" for him the rest of his life, a life that was changed instantly and permanently. I think he was given that to serve as physical evidence that anyone could see that the event really had ocurred.

Now "Paul" had everything he had in his previous life made null and void. His home, legal profession, and everything else were a thing of the past. He went from being among the Christian's worst enemies to the greatest missionary for Christ the world has ever known. No ammount of hardship or suffering could ever deter him on his many dangerous journeys, and in the end not even a death sentence could make him abandon his Lord.

Much the same could be said for the other Apostles as well. Hardly any of them could really accept that Christ had truly risen from death as He said he would until they finally saw Him personally. Then they too were committed to carry the Gospel to the world, no matter the cost, including death.

What "logical and reasonable" person would do that if what they had seen was some made-up nonsense? What "logical and reasonable" person would say that all the letters they wrote to those early churches, lovingly kept and copied to other churches, were the result of some huge, complex conspiracy to perpetuate a myth that never happened? Keep in mind that the overwhelming majority of them would ultimately lose their lives over it, yet they embraced even that. Peter, eventually condemned to crucifixion himself, even went so far as to demand to be crucified upside down as he felt unworthy to die in the same manner as Christ. Is that the actions of an individual who knows it's all just a lie?

YMMV, but in my opinion a "logical and reasonable" person would stop and think about that really hard.  

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:29:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Its called faith for a reason.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:34:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

So historical cross validation tests are accurate only to the extent that it involved nothing supernatural? So who gets to determine what is beyond the realm of belief?

What about Alexander and the Sogdian Rock?  That is pretty far fetched... so It must not have happened- That is preposterous.  Historical Text/accuracy standards are there to separate fact from BS.  

I feel your position is asking me to accept that historical tests are not objectively true, therefore nothing can be known other that what one's personal experience dictates... And I am  supposed to accept that on faith.

My point is that your position claims basically to hold enough of all knowledge in the universe to know beyond a shadow of a doubt that there is nothing supernatural possible- and I should accept that on faith...I would inquire what percentage of all knowledge do you possesses?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually I finished the article in it's entirety  shortly after I commented, before that I read everything but skimmed the last 4 paragraphs which accounted for maybe <10% of the article. I'm not disputing the historical accuracy of the test in relation to scripture, I'm disputing the tests reliability to prove the supernatural events that are in the scripture. Let's make sure were not twisting words here.

gwitness has a problem with me asking serious questions. He doesn't enjoy debate even when it gets tough as I've had my moments of harsh comments. He generally just doesn't like that his answers aren't enough for people

So historical cross validation tests are accurate only to the extent that it involved nothing supernatural? So who gets to determine what is beyond the realm of belief?

What about Alexander and the Sogdian Rock?  That is pretty far fetched... so It must not have happened- That is preposterous.  Historical Text/accuracy standards are there to separate fact from BS.  

I feel your position is asking me to accept that historical tests are not objectively true, therefore nothing can be known other that what one's personal experience dictates... And I am  supposed to accept that on faith.

My point is that your position claims basically to hold enough of all knowledge in the universe to know beyond a shadow of a doubt that there is nothing supernatural possible- and I should accept that on faith...I would inquire what percentage of all knowledge do you possesses?

Well it seems you, as many others have, misunderstand my position. I do not know anything for sure. Anyone that claims to know beyond a reasonable doubt the origin, or how life was created is simply making educated guesses. Religious folks just base their educated guess off of what a book says instead of observable things like many scientists. My position doesn't really matter, I simply enjoy asking questions in hopes that eventually I may find an answer suitable for myself. That may or may not happen but it's not going to stop me from debating and asking the hard questions. Of course there will be some who dislike being asked the hard questions. Sometimes I get emotional responses and others people will give an answer that just simply lacks acceptable data for me personally. It's nothing against anyone, I just don't want to be uneducated. Every time there is a thread like this I learn something.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:47:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:57:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

the materialist assumption in science is epistemological, not ontological.  IOW, science does not make the claim that nothing exists beyond physical matter and causes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The materialistic assumption excludes, without question the possibility of any further fact about existence beyond the material.

the materialist assumption in science is epistemological, not ontological.  IOW, science does not make the claim that nothing exists beyond physical matter and causes.

Great point! Within the assumption, the possibility of further fact is excluded, but you're absolutely right that the scientific process itself holds that assumption as an epistemological necessity for the pursuit rather than a claim regarding the absolute nature of things. I wasn't totally clear on that front. In most of these discussions, though, the root of conflict is between the more inflexible ontological variations of the assumptions, so that was primarily what I was addressing. I'm glad you stepped in to make the distinction, because I think it allows, when well understood, a broader ability to explore the universe in interesting ways.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:09:15 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Except, I went with

1. it meets all historical test for accuracy. LOL, it ABSOLUTELY does not.

2.  Has eyewitness accounts that confirm the same acts- Yet attribute them to different causes. Eyewitness accounts? Really? So because an ancient text claims eyewitness accounts, it's factual? Do you feel the same about similar accounts regarding the Norse gods? Same degree of "proof".

3. HAs historical and archaeological supporting evidence. Some accuracy regarding historical events and archaeology doesn't sweep along and magically validate with it a myriad of folklore, mythology and magic as being somehow factual simply because they're in the same book about a time and place that actually is documented as having existed.

Eta-yes , by posting that and ignoring my previous points you are evading I didn't ignore anything.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I give up.

I am evading?

Except, I went with

1. it meets all historical test for accuracy. LOL, it ABSOLUTELY does not.

2.  Has eyewitness accounts that confirm the same acts- Yet attribute them to different causes. Eyewitness accounts? Really? So because an ancient text claims eyewitness accounts, it's factual? Do you feel the same about similar accounts regarding the Norse gods? Same degree of "proof".

3. HAs historical and archaeological supporting evidence. Some accuracy regarding historical events and archaeology doesn't sweep along and magically validate with it a myriad of folklore, mythology and magic as being somehow factual simply because they're in the same book about a time and place that actually is documented as having existed.

Eta-yes , by posting that and ignoring my previous points you are evading I didn't ignore anything.

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:16:55 AM EDT
[#25]
I would argue that we suspend logic and reason for most things.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:18:08 AM EDT
[#26]
euphoria, science, moments, magnets, fedoras
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:21:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I was guilty of suspending my logic for decades as a religious person.   I've been out of religion for five years and I feel as though the truth (Science and logic) has set me free. Anyone else come to this conclusion after years in religion?  

Why are we so logical and analytical in every other aspect of our lives?  But when it comes to God and religion we suspend all forms of logic and common sense.  

This is not a bashing thread, I was one of the religious people who believed for years and years, I get it.   It is just an interesting phenomenon.

View Quote

That's an interesting dichotomy you are presenting.  Nothing about a belief in God contradicts science or the scientific method. The Catholic church is big into science.

Science gives us the what and the how, religion gives us the why.

take evolution, a subject that always stirs the GD pot.

Evolution is a process and does not deal with the origin of life.
Creation is an event.

the two work very well together.

nothing in evolution contradicts creation and vice versa. People tend to confuse a religious book for a science book.  Just like I don't expect to learn quantum mechanics from a book on American history, I don't expect a religious book, written at a time before germs were even understood, to teach any hard science..

Nothing in religion (of science) prevents God from coming up with the rules that makes everything work. Science is all about discovering those rules.  I think science brings us closer to God, not further from God.

YMMV
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:36:24 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
The part in red is what is so disgusting about the attitude of many Atheists.

You "decided to use my brain" and rejected Christianity.

Does that mean that those of us that are Christians do not "use our brains"?  That is your implication.

Many very smart folks "use their brain" and decide that God is just Who the Bible says He is.

Why do you feel it necessary to insult those of us that believe?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's weird. I grew up in a religious household and then decided to use my brain. I still attend church with my wife and son but I have never felt anything from religion and it has never helped me in any way. I've always felt it was used to control people when they couldn't use science cell to figure it out.

The part in red is what is so disgusting about the attitude of many Atheists.

You "decided to use my brain" and rejected Christianity.

Does that mean that those of us that are Christians do not "use our brains"?  That is your implication.

Many very smart folks "use their brain" and decide that God is just Who the Bible says He is.

Why do you feel it necessary to insult those of us that believe?

As a non-believer, I wholehearted agree with this.  I had to have a hard talk with one of my former employees who made a similar remark (that you have to be an idiot to believe in God and the Bible, or some such) to another employee who was deeply religious, and by the way, much smarter than the Athiest.

While I'm not a believer in God, I don't believe I'm any more likely to be correct than anyone else.  Why so many people can't respect one another's beliefs is beyond me.  

My kids sometimes go to church and are baptized Catholic and 3 of them have made their first Communion.  Some of my capital "A" Athiest friends have snidely asked me why I'm letting this happen.  My response is that they will make their choice for themselves, just as i did, and you did.  

My kids ask me about my beliefs from time to time, and I tell them exactly what I wrote above: While I'm not a believer in God, I don't believe I'm any more likely to be correct than anyone else.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:40:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Great point! Within the assumption, the possibility of further fact is excluded, but you're absolutely right that the scientific process itself holds that assumption as an epistemological necessity for the pursuit rather than a claim regarding the absolute nature of things. I wasn't totally clear on that front. In most of these discussions, though, the root of conflict is between the more inflexible ontological variations of the assumptions, so that was primarily what I was addressing. I'm glad you stepped in to make the distinction, because I think it allows, when well understood, a broader ability to explore the universe in interesting ways.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

i completely agree here.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:41:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe that a few pretty well known guys thought that.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:41:21 AM EDT
[#31]
So you believe in SCIENCE, like man made global warming.  But, don't believe in GOD because ........
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:43:44 AM EDT
[#32]
In a vastly simplified single sentence, science attempts to answer How and religion attempts to answer Why.  They are not necessarily mutually exclusive, and it is equally wrong for either side to attempt to discredit the other.

FWIW, I lean Deist.  I think there is a creator, but whether it is the JudeoChristian God, some other religion's concept of God, or it takes a form that nobody has conceptualized yet, is unknown to me.

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:50:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I was guilty of suspending my logic for decades as a religious person.   I've been out of religion for five years and I feel as though the truth (Science and logic) has set me free. Anyone else come to this conclusion after years in religion?  

Why are we so logical and analytical in every other aspect of our lives?  But when it comes to God and religion we suspend all forms of logic and common sense.  

This is not a bashing thread, I was one of the religious people who believed for years and years, I get it.   It is just an interesting phenomenon.

View Quote

You do not have to suspend logic.  Logic dictates that there cannot be proof, therefore logic dictates that faith-based belief is not unreasonable.

Ponder omniscience, and what it means to know something.  That's how I got there...the smallest thought of God.  There's also some far east religious doctrine that explains it quite well, too, been around for a billion years, but I forget what it was exactly...some arfcommer pointed it out to me.  I think it was a Hindu thing.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:51:45 AM EDT
[#34]
The major difference is that science will say "We don't know."
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:53:48 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

the materialist assumption in science is epistemological, not ontological.  IOW, science does not make the claim that nothing exists beyond physical matter and causes.  for example, science doesn't say that lightning is certainly not the result of thor striking his anvil--it merely presumes that there is a physical cause, for methodological reasons.  if you allow the possibility that the supernatural is involved in nature, then no science can ever get done, because nothing can ever be ruled out.  the cause for anything might be magic, but that possibility doesn't help us understand the physical world.

the paradigmatic example comes from newton and planetary motion.  astronomers had already established heliocentric orbits pretty well, but no one could figure out what force could cause the orbits.  IIRC it was kepler or brahe who claimed that angels pushed the planets around.  newton discarded that notion, and assumed that natural events were the results of natural causes.  universal gravitation proved to be a pretty good explanation, replacing supernatural causation.

in short, the scientific method is just another way of saying "let's ignore magic, and see if we can find a natural cause to account for this physical event."  this does not in any way exclude the possibility that magic might exist.  it just means that such a cause is beyond the scope of science.

View Quote

This was really enjoyable to read, thank you.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:59:42 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Well it seems you, as many others have, misunderstand my position. I do not know anything for sure. Anyone that claims to know beyond a reasonable doubt the origin, or how life was created is simply making educated guesses. Religious folks just base their educated guess off of what a book says instead of observable things like many scientists. My position doesn't really matter, I simply enjoy asking questions in hopes that eventually I may find an answer suitable for myself. That may or may not happen but it's not going to stop me from debating and asking the hard questions. Of course there will be some who dislike being asked the hard questions. Sometimes I get emotional responses and others people will give an answer that just simply lacks acceptable data for me personally. It's nothing against anyone, I just don't want to be uneducated. Every time there is a thread like this I learn something.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually I finished the article in it's entirety  shortly after I commented, before that I read everything but skimmed the last 4 paragraphs which accounted for maybe <10% of the article. I'm not disputing the historical accuracy of the test in relation to scripture, I'm disputing the tests reliability to prove the supernatural events that are in the scripture. Let's make sure were not twisting words here.

gwitness has a problem with me asking serious questions. He doesn't enjoy debate even when it gets tough as I've had my moments of harsh comments. He generally just doesn't like that his answers aren't enough for people

That is a pretty broad brush to paint with.  

The internet is full of scientific evidence for God.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 12:06:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's the funniest thing I've heard all day.  
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 12:11:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

And Bigfoot
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 12:11:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The major difference is that science will say "We don't know."
View Quote

uh-huh....
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 12:20:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

And Bigfoot
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And Bigfoot

glad you got it...

But honest discourse require a thorough evaluation of the claims and evidences presented (by either side)

However, when either party rejects that premise- that is the  on which is demanding the most "faith", and least logic.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 12:26:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

glad you got it...

But honest discourse require a thorough evaluation of the claims and evidences presented (by either side)

However, when either party rejects that premise- that is the  on which is demanding the most "faith", and least logic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And Bigfoot

glad you got it...

I think one of the problems is the subjectivity of it all. To some, the bible is "obviously" the truth, and anything that doesn't jive at first blush must simply need more study and deeper understanding. Nonbelievers see these logical problems and contradictions as deal breakers...They make it "obvious" that the bible isn't perfect. And neither side seems to be able to really understand the other's position.

I can't help but wonder if there are psychologist or physiological differences in people where some are "hard wired" to find faith, where others are more prone to want evidence, and less likely to let perceived discrepancies slide.

ETA Something else that seems to be subjective...the bible's status. Some see it as the evidence, while others see it as the claim.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 12:28:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Except, I went with

1. it meets all historical test for accuracy. LOL, it ABSOLUTELY does not. aside from lol...where does it fail the same tests required for its contemporaries?

2.  Has eyewitness accounts that confirm the same acts- Yet attribute them to different causes. Eyewitness accounts? Really? So because an ancient text claims eyewitness accounts, it's factual? Do you feel the same about similar accounts regarding the Norse gods? Same degree of "proof". false, I can tell you have not evaluated my previous claims not cared to evaluate the previouuslink I provided regarding this point

3. HAs historical and archaeological supporting evidence. Some accuracy regarding historical events and archaeology doesn't sweep along and magically validate with it a myriad of folklore, mythology and magic as being somehow factual simply because they're in the same book about a time and place that actually is documented as having existed.  see 2

Eta-yes , by posting that and ignoring my previous points you are evading [span style='color: rgb(255, 0, 0);']I didn't ignore anything. [/span     those words mean different things....but I think you know that]
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 12:51:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I think one of the problems is the subjectivity of it all. To some, the bible is "obviously" the truth, and anything that doesn't jive at first blush must simply need more study and deeper understanding. Nonbelievers see these logical problems and contradictions as deal breakers...They make it "obvious" that the bible isn't perfect. And neither side seems to be able to really understand the other's position.

I can't help but wonder if there are psychologist or physiological differences in people where some are "hard wired" to find faith, where others are more prone to want evidence, and less likely to let perceived discrepancies slide.

ETA Something else that seems to be subjective...the bible's status. Some see it as the evidence, while others see it as the claim.
View Quote

Sorry I missed your point earlier about snakes , creation and the flood.

I'm glad I found it now-let's go with the flood.

Some Science claims the entire earth was covered with ice (ice age)

Every ancient culture has a flood narrative (I.e. Epic of Gilgamesh)

Clearly water cover the earth at some point and impacted every culture-Science proves that.

If it is so easy to except that Ice covered the earth... What happened when it melted?

Somethings are subjective-I outlined about seven different beliefs of creation That fall into to the realm of Christianity.

Some things have been proven-like H2o covered the earth.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 1:45:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Clearly water cover the earth at some point and impacted every culture-Science proves that.

If it is so easy to except that Ice covered the earth... What happened when it melted?

Somethings are subjective-I outlined about seven different beliefs of creation That fall into to the realm of Christianity.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're confusing melting ice with the real story. The bible states that the water came from under the earth and from the sky. You do know this story right? Also how did he get all of these animals today onto a small ship? Surely you can't deny that evolution exists? (Not that you have said it doesn't)
I guess what I'm saying is there are a lot of claims that these are provable facts, but I have yet to find someone with those facts. You cannot say that the historical aspects of the bible, the people and places, prove the supernatural aspects of the book. Like some have mentioned, maybe some people are hard wired to be more susceptible to accepting blind faith while others may not. I just don't see why religious folks can't just accept that there is no proof. The bible can't be considered proof in a general sense. You may personally think that it is, but that doesn't make it so. Just as science doesn't disprove the existence of a greater being.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that so? Cite some for me then because you've found a gold mine if so.

Quoted:

That's an interesting dichotomy you are presenting.  Nothing about a belief in God contradicts science or the scientific method. The Catholic church is big into science.

Science gives us the what and the how, religion gives us the why.

take evolution, a subject that always stirs the GD pot.

Evolution is a process and does not deal with the origin of life.
Creation is an event.

the two work very well together.

nothing in evolution contradicts creation and vice versa. People tend to confuse a religious book for a science book.  Just like I don't expect to learn quantum mechanics from a book on American history, I don't expect a religious book, written at a time before germs were even understood, to teach any hard science..

Nothing in religion (of science) prevents God from coming up with the rules that makes everything work. Science is all about discovering those rules.  I think science brings us closer to God, not further from God.

YMMV

Not necessarily true, many people who believe the creation story think that it discredits evolution. Some don't as well
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 1:46:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Perhaps this guy was "divinely inspired" and he knows god's mind concerning the shape of the continents, throughout geological history.

On the other hand, maybe science just figured it out, from the evidence, without any hocus-pocus.

https://www2.nau.edu/rcb7/mollglobe.html
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 1:51:21 PM EDT
[#46]
That's an excellent question.

The answers I get usually point towards faith and end there.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 2:09:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Faith is taught at a very early age for most that are brought up "in the church" - whichever church you go to.

If logic and science were taught that early in development - you'd see a similar devotion or guilt if you departed from your early education.

I battle back and forth - knowing and doubting - yet understanding that this all didn't just accidentally happen.... did it? Couldn't have.
View Quote

Dewey's Experiential Learning Continuum is basically applicable.  While not always true... it's usually truer than most alternatives.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 2:50:22 PM EDT
[#48]
The current theory to the proliferation of flood myths in European and west Asian history is that during the glacier retreat at the end of the last ice age, a glacier remnant was left in the area between the Mediterranean and Black Seas (where Istanbul sits today).  The water level in the Black Sea was considerably lower than it is today, and the water level in the Med was higher than current levels, and the glacier remnant was effectively a dam between the two seas, holding the water of the Med back.

There were villages living along the shore of the Black Sea and near by.  At some point, the glacier remnant gave way, and the water of the Med flowed in with incredible speed and volume.  The water level in the Black Sea rose greatly (at least 100 feet), drowning those villages.

However, there were survivors.  Having been suddenly washed away from literally everything they knew or owned with no warning or reason, the survivors became refugees, settling in various regions, and with various tales of their misfortune.  Though centuries of these stories being passed down orally, they distorted, merged, and then were finally written- codified into what became the bible.

EDIT: Oh, and related. due to observations by some ancient Chinese astronomers, and from geological records, it is now believed that the "Rain of fire and brimstone" at Sodom and Gomorah was debris from a comet or meteorite that exploded in the air over Germany. Computer models have shown that the debris could easily have fallen in the region in question. It would have killed many more people in Europe, but the survivors did not have stories that survived into modern society.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 3:00:05 PM EDT
[#49]
OP did not get out of religion.  He simply change his religion to Atheism.  As evidence by his desire to preach his new faith to all those heathen Christians...
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 4:18:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, at some point the earth was covered in water. At some point it was covered in ice and snow. At another, it was covered in lava and poisonous gasses. A REALLY long time ago. But that isn't the story.

One of the things that bugs me when people start rationalizing this stuff is that they "maybe this happened" and "it could have been THIS way...You can't prove it wasn't," so much that it all becomes meaningless. Every argument is reduced to Last Thursdayism.
Page / 23
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top