BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:28:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
One I relocated after I picked him up with a sprinkler in my yard on night. It didn't take long to turn him loose and luckily he was as surprised as I was and didn't bite.

http://davidml2.dncoleman.com/snakeb.jpg
View Quote

That one looks kinda sleepy. Is it sedated?
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:51:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
One I relocated after I picked him up with a sprinkler in my yard on night. It didn't take long to turn him loose and luckily he was as surprised as I was and didn't bite.

http://davidml2.dncoleman.com/snakeb.jpg

Scratch him behind the ear, they like that.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 3:01:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

A poisonous snake on a property is a problem. As I said earlier, most don't have the skillset to safely relocate one. Are they to call someone and pay money to do it? Take a chance of getting bitten doing something they aren't qualified for? Leave it for the kids and dogs to find? You may not like the answer but it is what it is. I've had too many nuisance cottonmouths around our docks to have any sympathy for those dangerous fucks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd rather see a dead cottonmouth, but you did good playing the hand you were dealt. But you gonna get loved tenderly by the closet liberals/snake charmers around here so stand by. Good shoot(s).

Not a closet liberal, I'm just man enough that a little snake doesn't scare me.  I'd say the liberals are the ones that are too pussified to be able to respect a snake.

A poisonous snake on a property is a problem. As I said earlier, most don't have the skillset to safely relocate one. Are they to call someone and pay money to do it? Take a chance of getting bitten doing something they aren't qualified for? Leave it for the kids and dogs to find? You may not like the answer but it is what it is. I've had too many nuisance cottonmouths around our docks to have any sympathy for those dangerous fucks.

Poisonous snakes are definitely a problem.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 3:03:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd rather see a dead cottonmouth, but you did good playing the hand you were dealt. But you gonna get loved tenderly by the closet liberals/snake charmers around here so stand by. Good shoot(s).

Not a closet liberal, I'm just man enough that a little snake doesn't scare me.  I'd say the liberals are the ones that are too pussified to be able to respect a snake.

Wonder how many of those cottonmouths were harmless water snakes?
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 3:04:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Sigh.  Okay, education time.  That copperhead might have had a genetic morph or mutation that could have resulted in it's venom being slightly different from all others.  It's happened before.  But again, I'm sure you and none of your loved ones need such medication and I'm sure you won't be a hypocrite by accepting medication created with snake venom if you do need it right?  I won't hold my breath.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Meh, I'd have relocated it but that's just me.
What good is a venomous snake?  

there's plenty of non-ven snakes to keep rodent /bird pop down, so that's no excuse.

Venomous snakes are responsible for a shit ton of medicines that are on the market today.  If you've ever had a blood thinner, heart medication, liver medication, kidney medication, medication for stroke, heart attack, etc.  Chances are, one of those medicines was derived from snake venom.  Here's the kicker.  Every snake's venom is slightly different.  So, that copperhead in the OPs post may have held something unique that could have saved lives...  The thing is, we never know.  Thanks to this kind of ignorance, a potential cure for enlarged heart diseases was stopped in it's tracks because of the Lacy Act.  

So, what good is a venomous snake?  Well, without them, we wouldn't have our society so medically advanced as it is today.  With people that kill these snakes out of hand because of ignorance and fear, future cures and treatments may be lost forever.

Yes, the OP killed the only copperhead on the planet.  We are done for.

Sigh.  Okay, education time.  That copperhead might have had a genetic morph or mutation that could have resulted in it's venom being slightly different from all others.  It's happened before.  But again, I'm sure you and none of your loved ones need such medication and I'm sure you won't be a hypocrite by accepting medication created with snake venom if you do need it right?  I won't hold my breath.

Sounds like an endorsement for round-ups.  You can't have it every which way you want.

Either people should leave them alone, or they should all be gathered up and tested.  Stretch your logic a bit. I'm pretty sure that's not what you want to say, but that's what you're saying.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 3:09:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Just shot a copperhead. Maybe 18" long.

Hit it with a CCI .45 shot shell from my 1911. Blew it about 6 feet away.

My father-in-law hit it with a .410 because...well..he's a Marine and they get jealous when they don't get to shoot stuff.

I have a zero tolerance policy for venomous snakes once they cross into the yard. We have too many dogs, cats, and kids running around.
View Quote

Meh.  Amateur.

We were scrounging firewood at my brother-in-law's camp, and found all of these (plus a blacksnake that almost got killed by proxy) in the woodpile.

Fun times.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 3:10:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Fuel for the furor:

http://www.icehouse.net/fgrig/gun/Eds45.htm

This is the article which explains how to fab your own.  I have done it like the instructions, and also alternatively capped these weird little rounds with a .375" round ball, too.

If we can no longer shoot snakes and gila monsters Out West, what's left?  Tarantulas?  Oh wait, trantula venom is probably curing cancer.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 3:10:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Sounds like an endorsement for round-ups.  You can't have it every which way you want.
View Quote

Round ups are nothing but a gathering of ignorance. You think someone there is going to be analyzing the traits of venom? lol
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 3:19:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Cheer up, OP eats everything he kills.  When's Lunch, OP?

I see 2 x blast marks on snake.  Which one is .410 and which is CCI?  Enquiring meat heads need to know.
Also, how many feet away was shooter?  The range on CCI shotshells in the .45 is often assumed to be 10m, maximum.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I see 2 x blast marks on snake.  Which one is .410 and which is CCI?  Enquiring meat heads need to know.
Also, how many feet away was shooter?  The range on CCI shotshells in the .45 is often assumed to be 10m, maximum.

10m seems overly generous to me. By a lot. I'd say if you're shooting one of these things, It's more a matter of luck than aiming if it's farther away than your next step. 1M or less for an effective aimed shot.

I've done informal patterning of the CCI shells in several different guns and barrel lengths. I've never seen any evidence that they are more than a contact distance round.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 3:22:41 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
He did relocate it. He sent it straight to hell, where it belongs.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You win.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 3:28:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A lot no doubt. Easy mistake to make at times. People who have been up and close with those demons won't have a problem seeing.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 4:03:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

10m seems overly generous to me. By a lot. I'd say if you're shooting one of these things, It's more a matter of luck than aiming if it's farther away than your next step. 1M or less for an effective aimed shot.

I've done informal patterning of the CCI shells in several different guns and barrel lengths. I've never seen any evidence that they are more than a contact distance round.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like I say, I tried my homemade versions at 10m and they put maybe 10 holes in a piece of printer paper, with 7 1/2 shot and a trimmed Federal .410 shotcup.  It is getting pretty sparse at any distance.  Harris does mention (elsewhere) that worn barrels may shoot these better.

I couldn't get .38 special shotshell reloads to do ANYTHING past about 6 feet.  The patterns spun themselves into oblivion.  .45 reloads were lots better.

On the reloading front, I see people are running their donor brass into .400 Corbon resizing dies to fabricate .45ACP shotshell brass.
I have a bag of used .45 magnum brass, just waiting for this treatment.  All my experiments so far have involved cutting up stray boxer .308 and .243 brass.

EDIT:  By way of comparison, period .44XL Game Getter type shotshells were thought to have a comfortable max range of 12 yards.  The patterns of my 2" .410 reloads launching 3/8 oz of shot simply quit after 50 feet.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 4:37:04 PM EDT
[#13]
On a lighter note, a buddy had a litter of Black-tailed Rattlesnakes born this morning. Fourth of July babies incoming!
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 6:24:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
On a lighter note, a buddy had a litter of Black-tailed Rattlesnakes born this morning. Fourth of July babies incoming!
View Quote

I will admire the baby pics from a safe distance.

FWIW this is not me.  Not my picture.  I'm nuts but I'm not certifiably so.

Also not a copperhead, unlike a nip from a copperhead a hit this one is life threatening.

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 6:28:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Also not a copperhead, unlike a nip from a copperhead a hit this one is life threatening.

http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m631/BarryFoster/DSC02677_zpsmlubxxt9.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good lord, WTF?!?
Obviously a male hand, upper extremity, tattoo..... The epitomy of an illegitimate bite "victim".
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 6:35:57 PM EDT
[#16]

I LOVE animals.

But spiders in the house die.

Dangerous snakes in my area die.

Aggressive stray dogs die.

Feral cats causing problems die.

Possums getting into my cats food die.

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 6:38:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I LOVE animals.

But spiders in the house die.

Dangerous snakes in my area die.

Aggressive stray dogs die.

Feral cats causing problems die.

Possums getting into my cats food die.

View Quote

Lighten up Francis...      
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 6:39:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm gonna guess you'd have taken a ten second long shit, while stumbling backwards and squealing like a little girl.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm gonna guess you'd have taken a ten second long shit, while stumbling backwards and squealing like a little girl.

That's exactly what I would have done right before I shot it.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 6:39:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gaboon viper....no thanks
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 6:47:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Winner winner  chicken dinner.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 11:26:18 PM EDT
[#21]
My yard backs up to woods.  I relocated 2 small copperheads this summer.  Neither was aggressive.  I just used a stick to pick it up and fling it towards the woods.
Copperheads are generally not aggressive and their venom isn't very potent compared with cottonmouths or rattlers.  Yes, I have kept snakes before...boas.

I do kill black widow spiders on sight.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:43:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I doubt he would have.  He is the snake whisperer if I remember correctly.  He probably would have been able to move the damn thing
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 11:16:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

LOL...animal control? Are you serious?

I live in rural north eastern Oklahoma, not some yuppie white-flight suburb. We don't HAVE any animal control. The County Sheriff might send someone, or OHP...in about 4 or 6 hours for a non life threatening emergency. What am I supposed to do, sit there and watch the damn snake for 6 hours so the sheriff's deputy can shot it just like I did? And then laugh at me with his cop buddies about how much of a pussy I am that I can't solve my own problems?

Fuck that shit. 30 seconds after being spotted the snake problem was done and over with. Period.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Call animal control and ask if they have someone that can or if they have contact info for a herper that lives in the area.  If they don't and you have facebook, post a request up there.  Or do a google search on free snake relocation in your area.  

I have my number with every law enforcement agency, animal control and animal shelter within 100 miles of my place as do others.  It's not hard to find people that will help.

LOL...animal control? Are you serious?

I live in rural north eastern Oklahoma, not some yuppie white-flight suburb. We don't HAVE any animal control. The County Sheriff might send someone, or OHP...in about 4 or 6 hours for a non life threatening emergency. What am I supposed to do, sit there and watch the damn snake for 6 hours so the sheriff's deputy can shot it just like I did? And then laugh at me with his cop buddies about how much of a pussy I am that I can't solve my own problems?

Fuck that shit. 30 seconds after being spotted the snake problem was done and over with. Period.

our county has 2 Animal Control guys.
if you call today, they'll be there tomorrow; maybe. It's a big county.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top