Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:56:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Killed one in the yard near the workshop the other day with a broomstick, not having those things around me, the fiance or the dog.

Black snakes and kings I leave alone
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:57:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If the hospital is that far away, then why in the fucking hell are you even going near a venomous snake like that?    Most bites occur when people "take care of it themselves".
View Quote

This snake crawled up next to the house, under our air conditioner. Found it while we were out doing yard work. Not like I was out traipsing through the woods

This snake is dead, with no head or fangs left. And won't be able to bite anyone.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 4:00:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

If the hospital is that far away, then why in the fucking hell are you even going near a venomous snake like that?    Most bites occur when people "take care of it themselves".
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I will also add the the nearest hospital is a 25 minute drive away.

So no. I'm not taking any chances with venomous snakes.

What is it...  Like a .00001% chance that this particular snake has a venue unknown to science and the medical field that is beneficial and then maybe a .0000000001% chance that someone actually captures it n discovers this unknown, advanced venom that will save mankind?
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 4:00:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Are these guys going to relocate the snake that  they don't see until after it bites them, or  their child, or their pet?

What if it bites a neighbor after it's been relocated?  Do you send a sympathy card?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Meh, I'd have relocated it but that's just me.
I'm gonna guess you'd have taken a ten second long shit, while stumbling backwards and squealing like a little girl.

I guess you haven't seen his pets...I would have also relocated it.

Nothing wrong with that. You guys do realize most people don't have the skills to safely do that, right?

Are these guys going to relocate the snake that  they don't see until after it bites them, or  their child, or their pet?

What if it bites a neighbor after it's been relocated?  Do you send a sympathy card?

Nope, if there is a coral snake in my yard, I kill it even though it's not agressive, my neighbor lost his Golden to one.   And I'm not going to risk having a small child get bitten.  Same with pygmy rattlers, eastern diamond backs and cotton mouths.  If I see it , I kill it...period,
good shoot  OP !
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 4:33:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Call animal control and ask if they have someone that can or if they have contact info for a herper that lives in the area.  If they don't and you have facebook, post a request up there.  Or do a google search on free snake relocation in your area.  

I have my number with every law enforcement agency, animal control and animal shelter within 100 miles of my place as do others.  It's not hard to find people that will help.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sigh.  Okay, education time.  That copperhead might have had a genetic morph or mutation that could have resulted in it's venom being slightly different from all others.  It's happened before.  But again, I'm sure you and none of your loved ones need such medication and I'm sure you won't be a hypocrite by accepting medication created with snake venom if you do need it right?  I won't hold my breath.

And who, prey tell, am I supposed to call to come remove it? I don't have the equipment or skill set to safely contain a venomous snake and take it or ship it to some lab.

If some bio research firm wants to come scour our land for a bunch of mutant copperheads, rattlesnakes and cotton mouths; we have 40 acres of densely wooded land and they are welcome to take as many as they can find--assuming that we don't have to pay them to do it. I don't have the time or skills to do it. And I'm not going to wait around for them to bite me or my kid.

Call animal control and ask if they have someone that can or if they have contact info for a herper that lives in the area.  If they don't and you have facebook, post a request up there.  Or do a google search on free snake relocation in your area.  

I have my number with every law enforcement agency, animal control and animal shelter within 100 miles of my place as do others.  It's not hard to find people that will help.

Yeah, a fat chick from Animal Control shows up and shoots it with a .410....

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 4:40:17 PM EDT
[#6]
LOL @ the snake guy, you're almost as relentless as the fags.

Face it man, everyone doesn't live in the suburbs, many places don't have animal control, and a man taking care of his own problems hardly qualifies as insecure.

People who live in the country deal with their problems their own ways, and killing venomous snakes is right up there toward the top of the list.

Your declaration that this snake may have been the one to save humanity is as ludicrous as the omnipresent "he was an aspiring rapper, just beginning to turn his life around".
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 4:47:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My manhood isn't in question around snakes.  I don't feel the need to try to kill them.
View Quote

Tell you what, next time I find a dangerous snake, I'll drop it in a flat rate box and ship it to you for free.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 4:49:51 PM EDT
[#8]
I was expecting to see a king snake or garter snake. Good shot.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 4:53:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Venomous snakes are responsible for a shit ton of medicines that are on the market today.  If you've ever had a blood thinner, heart medication, liver medication, kidney medication, medication for stroke, heart attack, etc.  Chances are, one of those medicines was derived from snake venom.  Here's the kicker.  Every snake's venom is slightly different.  So, that copperhead in the OPs post may have held something unique that could have saved lives...  The thing is, we never know.  Thanks to this kind of ignorance, a potential cure for enlarged heart diseases was stopped in it's tracks because of the Lacy Act.  

So, what good is a venomous snake?  Well, without them, we wouldn't have our society so medically advanced as it is today.  With people that kill these snakes out of hand because of ignorance and fear, future cures and treatments may be lost forever.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What good is a venomous snake?  

there's plenty of non-ven snakes to keep rodent /bird pop down, so that's no excuse.

Venomous snakes are responsible for a shit ton of medicines that are on the market today.  If you've ever had a blood thinner, heart medication, liver medication, kidney medication, medication for stroke, heart attack, etc.  Chances are, one of those medicines was derived from snake venom.  Here's the kicker.  Every snake's venom is slightly different.  So, that copperhead in the OPs post may have held something unique that could have saved lives...  The thing is, we never know.  Thanks to this kind of ignorance, a potential cure for enlarged heart diseases was stopped in it's tracks because of the Lacy Act.  

So, what good is a venomous snake?  Well, without them, we wouldn't have our society so medically advanced as it is today.  With people that kill these snakes out of hand because of ignorance and fear, future cures and treatments may be lost forever.

That has about as much chance of happening as the guy breaking into your house in the middle of the night curing cancer. You gonna relocate him too? I mean, he could cure cancer, man!
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:03:42 PM EDT
[#10]
#copperlivesmatter
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:06:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Tell you what, next time I find a dangerous snake, I'll drop it in a flat rate box and ship it to you for free.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My manhood isn't in question around snakes.  I don't feel the need to try to kill them.

Not legal.  Hot snakes have to go Delta Dash, the others go FedEx overnight.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:06:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
LOL @ the snake guy, you're almost as relentless as the fags.

Face it man, everyone doesn't live in the suburbs, many places don't have animal control, and a man taking care of his own problems hardly qualifies as insecure.

People who live in the country deal with their problems their own ways, and killing venomous snakes is right up there toward the top of the list.

Your declaration that this snake may have been the one to save humanity is as ludicrous as the omnipresent "he was an aspiring rapper, just beginning to turn his life around".
View Quote

No way, his special snake skills will let him survive the SHTF, man! The rest of us can't possibly match those skills and will likely be slaves to the snake owners.

Interesting his views on government intervention if it helps his little snowflake cause. How progressive of him.....
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:08:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was being facetious...  
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:11:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

There is only one species of poisonous snake in the US.  I think you mean venomous.  But that's all on you.  Be warned though.  Some states, it's a felony to kill certain venomous snakes. But again, that's all on you.  Not my problem.  My manhood isn't in question around snakes.  I don't feel the need to try to kill them.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:11:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Id probably give it a pass if it were out in the wilderness area, but in a subdivison around kids, pets, etc. it gets deaded. That being said, if I could safely relocate it to a remote area, I would.
I don't fear snakes but I have a healthy respect for venomous ones.
JMHO
Hessian-1
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:12:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Bunch of pansy asses criticizing a man for killing a dangerous snake... Especially when he has pets and family around...

You do what you gotta do OP. Snakes had just as much time to develop opposable thumbs, fuck em if they can't take evolution.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:14:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Every time I see a snake I get the "OhMyGod it's a Diamond-backed Rattle-Headed Copper Moccassin" reflex
and jump about 3 feet in the air....Once I get clear I try to find out what kind it is. If kids live in the area & Old
Sh*t Yer Britches is the kind of snake that is packing heat, he gets sent to the Promised Land. All other types
get a pass.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:15:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

He did relocate it. He sent it straight to hell, where it belongs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He did relocate it. He sent it straight to hell, where it belongs.

Amen.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:18:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That truely sounds like the best idea I've heard all day. Shipping it to the snake lover ought to cure his yammering.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:21:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Venomous means kill without further consideration.

About 1 in 3 that I encounter gets the dead.
View Quote

I was just thinking that I'd only seen bull snakes recently.
I guess that means I'll be tripping over rattlers tomorrow.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:23:08 PM EDT
[#21]
What size round for this copper head

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:38:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Not trying to be combative,  but, how can a ''decapitated'' snake bite someone without a head????
My lab got bit by a copperhead last year going to the chicken house with me,  I never saw the snake. I asked here on GD about what to do about this, and gave the dog some benedril and pregnisone--- he was better in the morning. A 2' copperhead was on my step next morning, took off his head with a hoe, piss on ''relocating'' a poisonous snake under my carport. I live rurally and snakes all about, I do not bother them, except poisonous ones in my yard--- shot on sight.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:48:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Good Shoot ... Good Snake

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:50:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Boom! COpperhead shot
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:52:44 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Not trying to be combative,  but, how can a ''decapitated'' snake bite someone without a head????

My lab got bit by a copperhead last year going to the chicken house with me,  I never saw the snake. I asked here on GD about what to do about this, and gave the dog some benedril and pregnisone--- he was better in the morning. A 2' copperhead was on my step next morning, took off his head with a hoe, piss on ''relocating'' a poisonous snake under my carport. I live rurally and snakes all about, I do not bother them, except poisonous ones in my yard--- shot on sight.
View Quote
The head remains alive for hours.

I have decapitated rattlers, speared their lower jaws with my knife, and watched them try to bite anything that got close for an entire afternoon.

We had a major infestation on a ranch out in Colorado, literally found a den full of hundreds of Western Diamondbacks, so we killed a bunch of them. Forked stick to pin them down, and slice the head off, then drop the head in the middle of a yucca plant to prevent anything or anyone being bitten by that head.

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:55:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Nice shot OP. If there are kids and family dogs around, you made the right call.

Let the cats die though. Fuck cats.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:59:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Good shoot, stay away from that head, they can still bite after they are dead.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 6:02:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Sigh.  Okay, education time.  That copperhead might have had a genetic morph or mutation that could have resulted in it's venom being slightly different from all others.  It's happened before.  But again, I'm sure you and none of your loved ones need such medication and I'm sure you won't be a hypocrite by accepting medication created with snake venom if you do need it right?  I won't hold my breath.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

there's plenty of non-ven snakes to keep rodent /bird pop down, so that's no excuse.

Yes, the OP killed the only copperhead on the planet.  We are done for.

I'm sure we can all agree venom is good for science but I will not take a chance around my family or pets and if there's a number to call the science teams to get the snake I would call them to pick it up and if not then it will die right where I saw it.
I don't hunt them down but once they get too close to people they must be dealt with.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 6:10:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Where's the so called "graphic" pics sis?
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 6:19:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Eh, I have killed more than a few dozen just brush cutting the grass by the road with a 5 ft bush hog. Who cares, they are not good to have around and are quite dangerous to small animals and kids.  Good shoot OP.

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 6:23:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I get what you are saying but let extrapolate out to a logical conclusion....

If the OP had called a Herper are they going to take this snake in to be tested to see if it has new and unique venom?  Is there some program to catalogue as many different venom proteins as possible?  Would this snake have ever seen the inside of a lab?

I've never seen a venomous snake around here but having small children who play in the yard, if I see one, it is probably going to die.  The most likely snake around here would be a timber rattler and I understand their bites are no picnic.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 6:30:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm the only one in this room professional enough, that I know of, to go near a snake

Good shoot OP
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 6:34:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 6:45:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Cheer up, OP eats everything he kills.  When's Lunch, OP?

I see 2 x blast marks on snake.  Which one is .410 and which is CCI?  Enquiring meat heads need to know.
Also, how many feet away was shooter?  The range on CCI shotshells in the .45 is often assumed to be 10m, maximum.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 6:53:00 PM EDT
[#35]
if it were non-poisonous... I live and let live. Poisonous snakes on our property get killed with no remorse and no apology. Let the snake lovers keep all they want on their own property but my family, my dog, friends kids that go out there... no need to take chances. Good shoot OP.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 6:54:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And who, prey tell, am I supposed to call to come remove it? I don't have the equipment or skill set to safely contain a venomous snake and take it or ship it to some lab.

If some bio research firm wants to come scour our land for a bunch of mutant copperheads, rattlesnakes and cotton mouths; we have 40 acres of densely wooded land and they are welcome to take as many as they can find--assuming that we don't have to pay them to do it. I don't have the time or skills to do it. And I'm not going to wait around for them to bite me or my kid.

heh heh.  Exactly what we have here, only I think she has a .22, for some reason.  Our local Official Dog Killer is 5 foot nuthin.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 6:54:14 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

good shoot
View Quote

FPNI

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 6:54:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
good shoot
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 7:00:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I see 2 x blast marks on snake.  Which one is .410 and which is CCI?  Enquiring meat heads need to know.
Also, how many feet away was shooter?  The range on CCI shotshells in the .45 is often assumed to be 10m, maximum.
View Quote

I think there are actually 3 blast marks on the snake. The head, the tail and in the middle.

When contact was first made, the snake was coiled up.

I was less than 10 feet from it when I hit it with the .45 shot. The force of the blow blew it about 6 feet away from me. It was still moving some, which I assumed to be involuntary muscle spasms. Before I could take a second shot my FIL hit it with the .410 shot. Because it was coiled up, I think my first shot hit it in the head and further down on the body.

I'm not actually sure which shells hit which part of the snake, but it was opened up and bleeding after my first shot.

But, the head was completely gone. And yes I did look around for a severed, but intact head. None to be found.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 7:12:25 PM EDT
[#40]
One I relocated after I picked him up with a sprinkler in my yard on night. It didn't take long to turn him loose and luckily he was as surprised as I was and didn't bite.

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 7:14:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Interesting shooting event.  Sounds like CCI .45 auto cartridges are very gratifying for closer stuff.

After reading Ed Harris' comments on .45 auto shotshell reloading, I fabricated several from .308 brass.  While extremely interesting and exotic, I thought 10m was probably an absolute maximum for this setup.  Also, when you crank off a shot of this reload, it causes a minor panic attack when you can't find your ejected brass!  Stuff is a supreme pain to form.

I've got 2 little trays of the factory CCI stuff, which I haven't tried, YET.

I have personally shot very few rattle snakes, and all on hunting trips.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 7:15:18 PM EDT
[#42]
taxidermy it
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 7:16:14 PM EDT
[#43]
I whacked 3 cotton mouths in the back yard this afternoon.  Was coming in off the boat and one swam right up to me.  

I used my daisy pellet pistol.  

Feed all them to the snapping turtles in the bay.

Today was a good day to be a turtle.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 7:19:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Butthurt. It has arrived.
View Quote

It sometimes follows ignorance and fear.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 7:21:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hate snakes as much as the next guy, but I have to admit this is as close to a good reason not to kill them as I have ever seen...  not good enough, mind you, but close...
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 7:26:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I hate snakes as much as the next guy, but I have to admit this is as close to a good reason not to kill them as I have ever seen...  not good enough, mind you, but close...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gila Monster venom is also being used to effectively treat diabetes. You guys aren't afraid of lizards too......are you?!?
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 7:27:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Interesting shooting event.  Sounds like CCI .45 auto cartridges are very gratifying for closer stuff.
View Quote

I really like the CCI .45 shot shells for snakes. I keep a couple trays for just that purpose. This is the second or third copper head I have shot and have also shot a rattlesnake with them. They do the job. Are quite accurate within 10-15 feet, and they are fast and easy for a quick follow up. I usually load four in a magazine just in case I need a second or third shot.

My FIL had a single shot .410 long barrel shot gun, probably 24" long. Seemed a little unwieldy for this situation, and the reload time if a second shot was needed would be more than I would be comfortable with.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 7:47:42 PM EDT
[#48]
I had one strike at me in a oilfield pump jack panel inside the time clock of all places. I tried to kill him with my kliens then I got my clamp stick , clamped him and pulled him out of the box and then little fucker got away.

Like yours he needed to die
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:02:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I had one strike at me in a oilfield pump jack panel inside the time clock of all places. I tried to kill him with my kliens then I got my clamp stick , clamped him and pulled him out of the box and then little fucker got away.

Like yours he needed to die
View Quote

What kind of snake?
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:10:36 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm gonna guess you'd have taken a ten second long shit, while stumbling backwards and squealing like a little girl.

I guess you haven't seen his pets...I would have also relocated it.

Nothing wrong with that. You guys do realize most people don't have the skills to safely do that, right?

They'd relocate the ones they see, just like others only shoot the ones they see.  Doesn't matter either way, the snake is no longer a threat.

I'd relocate it too, because I know how and it is easy to do.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top