Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/3/2015 2:19:54 PM EDT
Just shot a copperhead. Maybe 18" long.

Hit it with a CCI .45 shot shell from my 1911. Blew it about 6 feet away.

My father-in-law hit it with a .410 because...well..he's a Marine and they get jealous when they don't get to shoot stuff.

I have a zero tolerance policy for venomous snakes once they cross into the yard. We have too many dogs, cats, and kids running around.

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 2:22:57 PM EDT
[#1]
good shoot
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 2:24:51 PM EDT
[#2]
What round for copperhe...?

Never mind.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 2:26:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Meh, I'd have relocated it but that's just me.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 2:28:40 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
What good is a venomous snake?

there's plenty of non-ven snakes to keep rodent /bird pop down, so that's no excuse.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 2:30:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

He did relocate it. He sent it straight to hell, where it belongs.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 2:31:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd rather see a dead cottonmouth, but you did good playing the hand you were dealt. But you gonna get loved tenderly by the closet liberals/snake charmers around here so stand by. Good shoot(s).
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 2:31:59 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 2:32:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

PETA hippie
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 2:32:32 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote
I'm gonna guess you'd have taken a ten second long shit, while stumbling backwards and squealing like a little girl.

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 2:34:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I did relocate it.

I relocated it about 6 feet further away....using a .45ACP shot shell...I guess the stress of the move was too much for it because it died in the process.  
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 2:40:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Venomous means kill without further consideration.

About 1 in 3 that I encounter gets the dead.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 2:43:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haha just as I would have!
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 2:48:52 PM EDT
[#13]

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 2:54:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 2:55:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
good shoot
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:03:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm gonna guess you'd have taken a ten second long shit, while stumbling backwards and squealing like a little girl.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess you haven't seen his pets...I would have also relocated it.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:04:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nothing wrong with that. You guys do realize most people don't have the skills to safely do that, right?
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:06:58 PM EDT
[#18]
copperheads are gorgeous snakes, but on my property they die.

<---- picture i took
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:08:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Nothing wrong with that. You guys do realize most people don't have the skills to safely do that, right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are these guys going to relocate the snake that  they don't see until after it bites them, or  their child, or their pet?

What if it bites a neighbor after it's been relocated?  Do you send a sympathy card?

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:09:51 PM EDT
[#20]

I hate snakes.

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:10:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Are these guys going to relocate the snake that  they don't see until after it bites them, or  their child, or their pet?

What if it bites a neighbor after it's been relocated?  Do you send a sympathy card?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know? I shoot em.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:12:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:15:01 PM EDT
[#23]
did I make it in before someone says the snake has a right to play hide and seek with your kids?
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:15:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

there's plenty of non-ven snakes to keep rodent /bird pop down, so that's no excuse.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Venomous snakes are responsible for a shit ton of medicines that are on the market today.  If you've ever had a blood thinner, heart medication, liver medication, kidney medication, medication for stroke, heart attack, etc.  Chances are, one of those medicines was derived from snake venom.  Here's the kicker.  Every snake's venom is slightly different.  So, that copperhead in the OPs post may have held something unique that could have saved lives...  The thing is, we never know.  Thanks to this kind of ignorance, a potential cure for enlarged heart diseases was stopped in it's tracks because of the Lacy Act.  

So, what good is a venomous snake?  Well, without them, we wouldn't have our society so medically advanced as it is today.  With people that kill these snakes out of hand because of ignorance and fear, future cures and treatments may be lost forever.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:16:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I'd rather see a dead cottonmouth, but you did good playing the hand you were dealt. But you gonna get loved tenderly by the closet liberals/snake charmers around here so stand by. Good shoot(s).
View Quote

Not a closet liberal, I'm just man enough that a little snake doesn't scare me.  I'd say the liberals are the ones that are too pussified to be able to respect a snake.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:18:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

nope, snakes don't scare me at all.  They shouldn't considering how many I have as pets....
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:19:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I did relocate it.

I relocated it about 6 feet further away....using a .45ACP shot shell...I guess the stress of the move was too much for it because it died in the process.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did relocate it.

That's okay, I understand if you're not man enough to live in the same world as him.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:21:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Venomous snakes are responsible for a shit ton of medicines that are on the market today.  If you've ever had a blood thinner, heart medication, liver medication, kidney medication, medication for stroke, heart attack, etc.  Chances are, one of those medicines was derived from snake venom.  Here's the kicker.  Every snake's venom is slightly different.  So, that copperhead in the OPs post may have held something unique that could have saved lives...  The thing is, we never know.  Thanks to this kind of ignorance, a potential cure for enlarged heart diseases was stopped in it's tracks because of the Lacy Act.  

So, what good is a venomous snake?  Well, without them, we wouldn't have our society so medically advanced as it is today.  With people that kill these snakes out of hand because of ignorance and fear, future cures and treatments may be lost forever.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, the OP killed the only copperhead on the planet.  We are done for.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:21:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I relocated 4 juvenile copperheads about 4 weeks ago off of my neighbors front porch.  Took them to a secluded spot where they could be safe from mouth breathing morons.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:21:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

nope, snakes don't scare me at all.  They shouldn't considering how many I have as pets....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He has a lot of snakes . Trust me on this one.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:22:13 PM EDT
[#31]
This one was a little larger than that. Right smack in the middle of my neighbors flower garden last weekend.

9mm shot out of a P938, twice!

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:23:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sigh.  Okay, education time.  That copperhead might have had a genetic morph or mutation that could have resulted in it's venom being slightly different from all others.  It's happened before.  But again, I'm sure you and none of your loved ones need such medication and I'm sure you won't be a hypocrite by accepting medication created with snake venom if you do need it right?  I won't hold my breath.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:25:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Not a closet liberal, I'm just man enough that a little snake doesn't scare me.  I'd say the liberals are the ones that are too pussified to be able to respect a snake.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A poisonous snake on a property is a problem. As I said earlier, most don't have the skillset to safely relocate one. Are they to call someone and pay money to do it? Take a chance of getting bitten doing something they aren't qualified for? Leave it for the kids and dogs to find? You may not like the answer but it is what it is. I've had too many nuisance cottonmouths around our docks to have any sympathy for those dangerous fucks.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:26:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

They did, didn't you read?  About 6' IIRC.

ETA
Ok, now I understand the reasons for not shooting venomous snakes on sight.  Thanks Hard Rock.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:28:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

A poisonous snake on a property is a problem. As I said earlier, most don't have the skillset to safely relocate one. Are they to call someone and pay money to do it? Take a chance of getting bitten doing something they aren't qualified for? Leave it for the kids and dogs to find? You may not like the answer but it is what it is. I've had too many nuisance cottonmouths around our docks to have any sympathy for those dangerous fucks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Q.....
F.....
T.....
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:31:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

most herpers will relocate a snake for free.  I do it all the time around here.  I've rescued dozens of snakes from people's yards and homes.  It's much safer to have someone relocate it than to try to dispatch it yourself.  That's how most venomous (not poisonous) bites occur.  Some idiot shoots a snake or decapitates is and doesn't realize that the snake can live for hours like that and the people get relaxed around it and boom, they get tagged.  

I'll be blunt.  If you're this afraid of a little snake now, give it up trying to survive if the shit hits the fan, you won't.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:35:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Sigh.  Okay, education time.  That copperhead might have had a genetic morph or mutation that could have resulted in it's venom being slightly different from all others.  It's happened before.  But again, I'm sure you and none of your loved ones need such medication and I'm sure you won't be a hypocrite by accepting medication created with snake venom if you do need it right?  I won't hold my breath.
View Quote

And who, prey tell, am I supposed to call to come remove it? I don't have the equipment or skill set to safely contain a venomous snake and take it or ship it to some lab.

If some bio research firm wants to come scour our land for a bunch of mutant copperheads, rattlesnakes and cotton mouths; we have 40 acres of densely wooded land with two ponds and they are welcome to take as many as they can find--assuming that we don't have to pay them to do it. I don't have the time or skills to do it. And I'm not going to wait around for them to bite me or my kid.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:37:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

And who, prey tell, am I supposed to call to come remove it? I don't have the equipment or skill set to safely contain a venomous snake and take it or ship it to some lab.

If some bio research firm wants to come scour our land for a bunch of mutant copperheads, rattlesnakes and cotton mouths; we have 40 acres of densely wooded land and they are welcome to take as many as they can find--assuming that we don't have to pay them to do it. I don't have the time or skills to do it. And I'm not going to wait around for them to bite me or my kid.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If some bio research firm wants to come scour our land for a bunch of mutant copperheads, rattlesnakes and cotton mouths; we have 40 acres of densely wooded land and they are welcome to take as many as they can find--assuming that we don't have to pay them to do it. I don't have the time or skills to do it. And I'm not going to wait around for them to bite me or my kid.

Call animal control and ask if they have someone that can or if they have contact info for a herper that lives in the area.  If they don't and you have facebook, post a request up there.  Or do a google search on free snake relocation in your area.  

I have my number with every law enforcement agency, animal control and animal shelter within 100 miles of my place as do others.  It's not hard to find people that will help.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:37:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

PETA hippie
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

PETA hippie

hmmm, you may have an idea there...

round 'em all up and dump 'em on peta's employee entrance  
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:38:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

most herpers will relocate a snake for free.  I do it all the time around here.  I've rescued dozens of snakes from people's yards and homes.  It's much safer to have someone relocate it than to try to dispatch it yourself.  That's how most venomous (not poisonous) bites occur.  Some idiot shoots a snake or decapitates is and doesn't realize that the snake can live for hours like that and the people get relaxed around it and boom, they get tagged.  

I'll be blunt.  If you're this afraid of a little snake now, give it up trying to survive if the shit hits the fan, you won't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol. Ridicule won't be working here. If I see a poisonous snake around me I'm gonna shoot it. Let me be blunt now- not only will I shoot it, but there is nothing you're gonna do about it.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:43:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Lol. Ridicule won't be working here. If I see a poisonous snake around me I'm gonna shoot it. Let me be blunt now- not only will I shoot it, but there is nothing you're gonna do about it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is only one species of poisonous snake in the US.  I think you mean venomous.  But that's all on you.  Be warned though.  Some states, it's a felony to kill certain venomous snakes.  But again, that's all on you.  Not my problem.  My manhood isn't in question around snakes.  I don't feel the need to try to kill them.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:44:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Call animal control and ask if they have someone that can or if they have contact info for a herper that lives in the area.  If they don't and you have facebook, post a request up there.  Or do a google search on free snake relocation in your area.  

I have my number with every law enforcement agency, animal control and animal shelter within 100 miles of my place as do others.  It's not hard to find people that will help.
View Quote

LOL...animal control? Are you serious?

I live in rural north eastern Oklahoma, not some yuppie white-flight suburb. We don't HAVE any animal control. The County Sheriff might send someone, or OHP...in about 4 or 6 hours for a non life threatening emergency. What am I supposed to do, sit there and watch the damn snake for 6 hours so the sheriff's deputy can shot it just like I did? And then laugh at me with his cop buddies about how much of a pussy I am that I can't solve my own problems?

Fuck that shit. 30 seconds after being spotted the snake problem was done and over with. Period.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:45:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Butthurt. It has arrived.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:47:41 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

good shoot
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:51:09 PM EDT
[#45]
I will also add the the nearest hospital is a 25 minute drive away.

So no. I'm not taking any chances with venomous snakes.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:51:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I live in rural north eastern Oklahoma, not some yuppie white-flight suburb. We don't HAVE any animal control. The County Sheriff might send someone, or OHP...in about 4 or 6 hours for a non life threatening emergency. What am I supposed to do, sit there and watch the damn snake for 6 hours so the sheriff's deputy can shot it just like I did? And then laugh at me with his cop buddies about how much of a pussy I am that I can't solve my own problems?

Fuck that shit. 30 seconds after being spotted the snake problem was done and over with. Period.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just remember, a decapitated snake can live for hours after being mortally wounded.  They can and will bite in that state and they WILL do a massive invenomation.  And yes, in rural eastern Oklahoma, there are people that can and will help.  But you go ahead and solve your own problems.  Just don't say a word when a "dead" snake tags you.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:52:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I will also add the the nearest hospital is a 25 minute drive away.

So no. I'm not taking any chances with venomous snakes.
View Quote

If the hospital is that far away, then why in the fucking hell are you even going near a venomous snake like that?    Most bites occur when people "take care of it themselves".
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:53:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

PETA hippie
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

PETA hippie

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:55:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Didn't take long for the snake folks to get here.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:55:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Just remember, a decapitated snake can live for hours after being mortally wounded.  They can and will bite in that state and they WILL do a massive invenomation.  And yes, in rural eastern Oklahoma, there are people that can and will help.  But you go ahead and solve your own problems.  Just don't say a word when a "dead" snake tags you.
View Quote

I didn't decapitate the snake. I blew it's head clean apart, shredded it. There was nothing left to bite with.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top