BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:33:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

People constantly point to the flag and claim it had nothing to so with slavery, that the Confederacy was fighting over states rights and tariffs, and if the South had won we'd all be more free.

To deny this would require your pretending not to read any of these threads.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
People could easily point to the flag and use it as a reminder of where we've been, and the racism we've had in this county. But then, who would take their new "micro aggressions" and other bs claims of racism seriously?

Throw the flag down the memory hole and you eliminate any frame of reference.

People constantly point to the flag and claim it had nothing to so with slavery, that the Confederacy was fighting over states rights and tariffs, and if the South had won we'd all be more free.

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:36:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Exactly... that list seems to be darned near a "how to" for many of those who target me here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

. Instead, we should watch Dukes of Hazard.

Pffft!
Can't even spell Hazzard correctly and expects us to listen to anything else he spews forth.

Ridicule is a potent weapon, indeed.

Saul Alinsky #5

“Ridicule is man’s most potent weapon.” There is no defense. It’s irrational. It’s infuriating. It also works as a key pressure point to force the enemy into concessions

Exactly... that list seems to be darned near a "how to" for many of those who target me here.

For real, dude? No one is targeting you. You just troll really hard and people react. You are just some guy at a computer--no one cares enough to "target you." Maybe you need to take a break from the internet for a while for some perspective.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:40:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
People could easily point to the flag and use it as a reminder of where we've been, and the racism we've had in this county. But then, who would take their new "micro aggressions" and other bs claims of racism seriously?

View Quote

Is that why folks fly the flag?

To reverently remind us how horrible slavery was?

What a hoot.

The truth... Confederate sympathizers should not be upset when the government taxes and spends for "black history month" events...

When the Confederate sympathizers want taxes to be raised and spent for the Confederate flag to fly on public land and public property...

It is the public dime, and public land... That becomes an issue.

Want to fly the flag on your own property? Go right ahead.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:45:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Isis and taliban destroy ancient memorials and monuments too.
View Quote

This is the thing that absolutely makes me break my teeth.
The Libs here scream and yell about the antiquities being destroyed in the ME at the hands of ISIS and the Taliban yet they wholeheartedly endorse the destruction of our historic monuments and artifacts.
There is no difference.
ISIS/Taliban = Progressive Liberals
Progressive Liberals = ISIS/Taliban

And those that want to see the Rebel jack as a sign of racism merely illustrate their ignorance.
If they really knew the meaning of it they would realize it stands for states rights and the right to protest an oppressive Federal government.
Educate yourselves.

Or as my mom would tell me: "Don't you have anything better to do?"
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:51:15 PM EDT
[#5]

Actually, when you read all those supposed counter points or opposite fears they were both right.  

For example, and pardon me on my phone so can't recall the cartoon perfectly, when one says they will control the information and the other says we will be bombarded by too much information - both are exactly true and are in fact used in tandem to make it harder to first dicern then get out the truth.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:52:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

What a hoot.

The truth... Confederate sympathizers should not be upset when the government taxes and spends for "black history month" events...

When the Confederate sympathizers want taxes to be raised and spent for the Confederate flag to fly on public land and public property...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What a hoot.

And just in time, the guy right below this post shined a light on that lie - complete with call to "educate yourselves." It's almost comical.

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:55:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"I can't address the substance of his point, so I will resort to derp."
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:01:10 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Bingo.

But I bet you could find actual historic events by dictatorships that mirror the current happenings too, rather than fiction books.
View Quote
Stalin did it.  A lot of photos with empty areas where a person "should be" (like Trotsky)

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:05:26 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No, that's not why people fly the flag. Thanks for putting words in my mouth.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:07:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
There is a humorous irony here...

Almost a quarter of all confederate soldiers were full-blown conscripts.

And following 1862, the Confederate leaders did not allow the "volunteers" leave when the terms of their service expire.

There were very, very few *true* "volunteers" who were willingly serving the confederacy.

The irony is that they were forced to serve under the Confederate flag...

And now people are trying to remove the flag from *public* land, their future relatives are fighting for the flag to fly over monuments to their Confederate conscription and unwilling service...

Just a bit ironic.

And if you say, "my relatives all volunteered to fight for the South without shoes and ammo and starve." You are probably correct. Many were compelled into mandatory service in local and state militias.... The problem was they could not leave when their service terms were up, and essentially became conscripts after 1862... That is the plain facts...

View All Quotes
Quoted:

And following 1862, the Confederate leaders did not allow the "volunteers" leave when the terms of their service expire.

There were very, very few *true* "volunteers" who were willingly serving the confederacy.

And now people are trying to remove the flag from *public* land, their future relatives are fighting for the flag to fly over monuments to their Confederate conscription and unwilling service...

Just a bit ironic.

And if you say, "my relatives all volunteered to fight for the South without shoes and ammo and starve." You are probably correct. Many were compelled into mandatory service in local and state militias.... The problem was they could not leave when their service terms were up, and essentially became conscripts after 1862... That is the plain facts...

Talk about irony.  Your point is what?  I guess you;ve never heard of this event in Northern civil War history?

The New York City draft riots (July 13–16, 1863), known at the time as Draft Week,[2] were violent disturbances in New York City that were the culmination of working-class discontent with new laws passed by Congress that year to draft men to fight in the ongoing American Civil War. The riots remain the largest civil and racial insurrection in American history, aside from the Civil War itself.[3]          

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:10:41 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Rand and Orwell wrote their books as warnings. The left took them for instruction manuals.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The whole book is eerie.

That an Atlas Shrugged were so spot-on, it is not a coincidence.

These authors knew what was coming before anyone else.

Rand and Orwell wrote their books as warnings. The left took them for instruction manuals.

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:12:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Talk about irony.  Your point is what?  I guess you;ve never heard of this event in Northern civil War history?

The New York City draft riots (July 13–16, 1863), known at the time as Draft Week,[2] were violent disturbances in New York City that were the culmination of working-class discontent with new laws passed by Congress that year to draft men to fight in the ongoing American Civil War. The riots remain the largest civil and racial insurrection in American history, aside from the Civil War itself.[3]          
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just a bit ironic.

NYC, you mean that bastion of Confederate Sympathies throughout the war, that remained strongly Democrat (Tammany Hall) when the Republican party pretty much took over the Northern states? That NYC?

You slay me.

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:13:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I wonder if its already happened to the history we know.

You figure 100 years ago a lot few folks had access to news sources and there were far fewer sources to get news from. Made it much easier to control.
View Quote

Great question.  Who knows how much history has been lost..  There may have been whole empires that we will never know about.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:13:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Stalin did it.  A lot of photos with empty areas where a person "should be" (like Trotsky)  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bingo.

But I bet you could find actual historic events by dictatorships that mirror the current happenings too, rather than fiction books.

Or this poor sap:

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:14:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Look up at that web cam and wave hello to the NSA  
View Quote

I always put a sticker over my webcams.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:23:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Some of the arguments against it are sound.  Some of the arguments for it are idiotic.

Symbols mean different things to different people.  It's a matter of opinion.  

The left has tried to crush the concept of opinions.  You don't have the right to an opinion on race, gender, sexual orientation, or the confederate flag.  

I don't personally much care about the confederate flag itself but I do care about my right and the right of everyone to have their own fucking opinion.  I will not have my opinion issued to me by the powers that be and I will take the side of just about anyone who fights for their right to an opinion that those powers find repugnant or threatening.

Those here fluffing the dicks of the left on this matter while still considering themselves some kind of conservative are fooling themselves.  They're the same brand of thug in a slightly nicer suit.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:27:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Just a bit ironic.

View Quote

Stop loss under a different flag?
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:31:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

There was tremendous Confederate sympathies in many Northern areas... In some cases, Confederates were found to be inciting and instigating riots in the North and creating fears of conscription, even when there were not formal plans for conscription...

Yes...

There is tremendous, tremendous irony in the fact that after 1862, most men with feet (without shoes) on the ground for the Confederacy were essentially conscripts.

And, given that, nearly a quarter of *all* men who fought for the South were outright conscripts.

The North paid better, the men were better armed, and they were better fed than their Southern counterparts... But conscription did begin in the North a full year after the South started wholesale conscription... The point was that the Southern tyranny was upheld almost completely by force and conscription... Not so in the North. In the North, if someone did not like the draft, they could vote to remove their congressman, or vote to ultimately remove the President.

No such power existed at any point in the Confederacy.

There is tremendous, tremendous irony in the fact that folks today want the Confederate Flag to fly over monuments over men who were forced to serve under the flag.

That is tremendously ironic to me...

They did not want to serve under the flag. They only did it by force. The flag represents a tyranny that took away their voting rights... And their future ancestors will raise a stink when efforts are made to remove the flag from public land...

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:35:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

There was tremendous Confederate sympathies in many Northern areas... In some cases, Confederates were found to be inciting and instigating riots in the North and creating fears of conscription, even when there were not formal plans for conscription...

Yes...

There is tremendous, tremendous irony in the fact that after 1862, most men with feet (without shoes) on the ground for the Confederacy were essentially conscripts.

And, given that, nearly a quarter of *all* men who fought for the South were outright conscripts.

The North paid better, the men were better armed, and they were better fed than their Southern counterparts... But conscription did begin in the North a full year after the South started wholesale conscription... The point was that the Southern tyranny was upheld almost completely by force and conscription... Not so in the North. In the North, if someone did not like the draft, they could vote to remove their congressman, or vote to ultimately remove the President.

There is tremendous, tremendous irony in the fact that folks today want the Confederate Flag to fly over monuments over men who were forced to serve under the flag.

They did not want to serve under the flag. They only did it by force. The flag represents a tyranny that took away their voting rights... And their future ancestors will raise a stink when efforts are made to remove the flag from public land...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes...

I don't think you're giving enough credit to the effects of the propagandizing against the Yankee invaders.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:36:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.”
- George Orwell, 1984
View Quote

Nailed it!
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:40:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Stop loss under a different flag?
View Quote

Pretty much...

Back then, they counted those who served in *mandatory* service in state and local militias as "volunteers." Their contracts were set in stone in lengths of service...

But they are considered "volunteers" even though their service in local and state militias was anything but "volunteering."

So the numbers that nearly a quarter of all those who served in the Confederacy were forced into service is not wholly accurate. Nearly a quarter served wholly unwillingly as conscripts... But almost all were forced to remain in service long beyond the original terms of their service. By the end, they were *all* -essentially- conscripts, and in the end, the desertion rates of Southern troops were mind-bogglingly huge.

But yet...

Their future ancestors will later fight to fly the flag of their unwilling conscripted government service at monuments on *public* land...
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:42:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.”
- George Orwell, 1984
View Quote

Excellent quote, excellent choice for these times.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:45:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Look up at that web cam and wave hello to the NSA  
View Quote

I let them watch me fap to pron instead.  It ain't pretty, but then why are the still watching
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:46:40 PM EDT
[#24]
The list of people on this board who are terminally asshurt by the Confederate flag is enlightening, if not particularly surprising
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:50:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Wasn't Orwell a known socialist?
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:51:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I don't think you're giving enough credit to the effects of the propagandizing against the Yankee invaders.
View Quote

Almost a full quarter of the total number of men who fought for the confederacy were unwilling conscripts.

So, nearly a quarter of the men fighting for the South were conscripts...

And then, of the rest... That is counting men in mandatory "service" in local and state "militias." Those men were counted as "volunteers."

But after 1862, there were no more volunteers.

Yes, there was propaganda. Yes, Lee could give a Knute Rockney speech better than the man himself...

But the point still stands that the South only had an Army at all because of the force and will of the Confederate Government after 1862... Not because of volunteers. Not because of pay. Not because Southerners drank the cool-aid.

It was the force and will of the tyrannical government that kept people toeing the line till the end... And as the end approached, mass desertion took place in Southern ranks...

And...

The irony.

The very-real irony is that folks want the flag of *that* government to fly over monuments honoring those who were forced into government service... The only real *original* volunteers were for state an local militias. If we are going to be *completely* honest, and honor those who *actually* served with honor... Fly the South Carolina *state* flag over the monuments on state land in South Carolina...

That is irony.

The other irony is that folks who say, "The *state* needs to pay for honoring Confederate dead with the Confederate flag..." Should not complain when the state pays for and supports, "black history" events...

There is tremendous, tremendous irony here...
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:52:11 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

The list of people on this board who are terminally asshurt by the Confederate flag is enlightening, if not particularly surprising
View Quote

Its more the revisionist bullshit used by the neo-confederats that chaps my ass.

I like the fact that ignorant fucking rednecks fly it, it lets me know who to avoid.

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:54:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Its more the revisionist bullshit used by the neo-confederats that chaps my ass.

I like the fact that ignorant fucking rednecks fly it, it lets me know who to avoid.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like the fact that sandy vagina SJW's hate it.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:55:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Almost a full quarter of the total number of men who fought for the confederacy were unwilling conscripts.

And then, of the rest... That is counting men in mandatory "service" in local and state "militias." Those men were counted as "volunteers."

Yes, there was propaganda. Yes, Lee could give a Knute Rockney speech better than the man himself...

But the point still stands that the South only had an Army at all because of the force and will of the Confederate Government after 1862... Not because of volunteers. Not because of pay. Not because Southerners drank the cool-aid.

It was the force and will of the tyrannical government that kept people toeing the line till the end... And as the end approached, mass desertion took place in Southern ranks...

And...

The irony.

The very-real irony is that folks want the flag of *that* government to fly over monuments honoring those who were forced into government service... The only real *original* volunteers were for state an local militias. If we are going to be *completely* honest, and honor those who *actually* served with honor... Fly the South Carolina *state* flag over the monuments on state land in South Carolina...

That is irony.

The other irony is that folks who say, "The *state* needs to pay for honoring Confederate dead with the Confederate flag..." Should not complain when the state pays for and supports, "black history" events...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And...

The irony.

That is irony.

Being conscripted does not necessary equate to not supporting the cause - however you interpret it.

But, yeah, the hypocrisy you point out is clear as day.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:58:43 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View Quote
In my best estimation, I don't think any of those posters were people I had much agreement with before either. Strange that.

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:00:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
With as few Southerners who claim to fly the Confederate flag, but not reference the *founding* documents of the Confederacy...

You would think that the founding documents of the confederacy had been banned...

Honestly.

And as for "changing history" Southern revisionists can be accused of the same thing.

The Texas legislature did not want Texas textbooks to reference slavery as the issue that drove Texas to secede. It was "states rights" with no reference to slavery.

Talk about attempting to change books and change history. Texas cited slavery in the original Causes of Secession. In fact, Texas wrote that they were upset that Northern states exercised states rights, and refused to return runaway slaves.

Talk about a pathetic attempt to re-write history...

View Quote

AN ORDINANCE

TO DISSOLVE THE UNION BETWEEN THE STATE OF TEXAS AND THE OTHER STATES, UNITED UNDER THE COMPACT STYLED "THE CONSTITUITON OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA"

WHEREAS, The Federal Government has failed to accomplish the purpose of hte compact of union between these States, in giving protection either to the persons or people unpon an exposed frontier, or to the property of our citizens, and Whereas, The action of the Northenr States of the Union is violated of the compact between the States and the Guarantees of the Constitution, and Whereas, the recent developments in Federal affairs make it evident that the power of the Federal Government is sought to be mad a weapon with which to strike down the interests and prosperity of the people of Texas and her sister slaveholding States, instead of permitting it to be as was intended, our shield against outrage and aggression --- Therefore,

SEC. 1. We, the people of hte State of Texas by Delegates in the Convention assembled, do declare and ordain, that the ordinance adopted by our Convetion of delegates on the Fourth day of July A.D., 1845, and afterwards ratified by us, under which the Republic of Texas was admitted into Union with other States and became party to the compact styles "the Constitution of the United States of America," be and is hereby repealed and annulled; ---that all the powers, which by the said compact, were delegated by Texas tpo the Federal Government, are revoked and resumed; --- that Texas is of right absolved from all restraints and obligations ineurred by said compact, and is separate soverign State, and that her citizens and people are absolved from all allegiance to the United States or the Government thereof.

SEC. 2. This ordinance shall be submitted to the people of Texas, for their ratification or rejection, by the qualified voters, on the 23rd day of February, 1861, and unless rejected by a majority of votes cast, shall take effect and be in force on and after the 2nd day of March, A.D., 1861. Provided, that in the Representative district of El Paso, said election may be held on the 18th day of February, 1861.

Done by the people of the State of Texas, in Convention assembled, at Austin, this first day of February, A.D., 1861

The facts aren't as straight forward as either side of the debate claims, but it's too deep for the modern "TLDR" Twitter of 21st century Americans to bother learning about..
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:02:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

. Instead, we should watch Dukes of Hazard.

Pffft!
Can't even spell Hazzard correctly and expects us to listen to anything else he spews forth.

Ridicule is a potent weapon, indeed.

Saul Alinsky #5

“Ridicule is man’s most potent weapon.” There is no defense. It’s irrational. It’s infuriating. It also works as a key pressure point to force the enemy into concessions

I'm beginning to think that it's not a coincidence that an unusually high percentage of my Ignore list is made up of Arfcom Life Members.

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:04:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Some of the arguments against it are sound.  Some of the arguments for it are idiotic.

Symbols mean different things to different people.  It's a matter of opinion.  

The left has tried to crush the concept of opinions.  You don't have the right to an opinion on race, gender, sexual orientation, or the confederate flag.  

I don't personally much care about the confederate flag itself but I do care about my right and the right of everyone to have their own fucking opinion.  I will not have my opinion issued to me by the powers that be and I will take the side of just about anyone who fights for their right to an opinion that those powers find repugnant or threatening.

Those here fluffing the dicks of the left on this matter while still considering themselves some kind of conservative are fooling themselves.  They're the same brand of thug in a slightly nicer suit.
View Quote

Well said !
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:04:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Wasn't Orwell a known socialist?
View Quote

Yes.

He got a little butthurt and distrustful towards Stalin. Hence "Animal Farm," and "1984." I doubt he ever dropped his socialist views, he just became butt hurt. He played some part in the Spanish Revolution.

Quite frankly, I'm suprised Animal Farm is still required reading in public high school.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:05:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Well, the whole "Freedom is Slavery" idea from 1984 is basically the foundation of the South's philosophy, both before and after the war.

So perhaps using Orwell against the Yankees isn't such a good idea in this case, hmm?
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:06:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

AN ORDINANCE

TO DISSOLVE THE UNION BETWEEN THE STATE OF TEXAS AND THE OTHER STATES, UNITED UNDER THE COMPACT STYLED "THE CONSTITUITON OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA"

WHEREAS, The Federal Government has failed to accomplish the purpose of hte compact of union between these States, in giving protection either to the persons or people unpon an exposed frontier, or to the property of our citizens, and Whereas, The action of the Northenr States of the Union is violated of the compact between the States and the Guarantees of the Constitution, and Whereas, the recent developments in Federal affairs make it evident that the power of the Federal Government is sought to be mad a weapon with which to strike down the interests and prosperity of the people of Texas and her sister slaveholding States, instead of permitting it to be as was intended, our shield against outrage and aggression --- Therefore,

SEC. 1. We, the people of hte State of Texas by Delegates in the Convention assembled, do declare and ordain, that the ordinance adopted by our Convetion of delegates on the Fourth day of July A.D., 1845, and afterwards ratified by us, under which the Republic of Texas was admitted into Union with other States and became party to the compact styles "the Constitution of the United States of America," be and is hereby repealed and annulled; ---that all the powers, which by the said compact, were delegated by Texas tpo the Federal Government, are revoked and resumed; --- that Texas is of right absolved from all restraints and obligations ineurred by said compact, and is separate soverign State, and that her citizens and people are absolved from all allegiance to the United States or the Government thereof.

SEC. 2. This ordinance shall be submitted to the people of Texas, for their ratification or rejection, by the qualified voters, on the 23rd day of February, 1861, and unless rejected by a majority of votes cast, shall take effect and be in force on and after the 2nd day of March, A.D., 1861. Provided, that in the Representative district of El Paso, said election may be held on the 18th day of February, 1861.

Done by the people of the State of Texas, in Convention assembled, at Austin, this first day of February, A.D., 1861

http://s13.postimg.org/xgoean587/WP_20150501_031.jpg

The facts aren't as straight forward as either side of the debate claims, but it's too deep for the modern "TLDR" Twitter of 21st century Americans to bother learning about..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
With as few Southerners who claim to fly the Confederate flag, but not reference the *founding* documents of the Confederacy...

You would think that the founding documents of the confederacy had been banned...

Honestly.

And as for "changing history" Southern revisionists can be accused of the same thing.

The Texas legislature did not want Texas textbooks to reference slavery as the issue that drove Texas to secede. It was "states rights" with no reference to slavery.

Talk about attempting to change books and change history. Texas cited slavery in the original Causes of Secession. In fact, Texas wrote that they were upset that Northern states exercised states rights, and refused to return runaway slaves.

Talk about a pathetic attempt to re-write history...

AN ORDINANCE

http://s13.postimg.org/xgoean587/WP_20150501_031.jpg

Wrong document there slick.

http://avalon.law.yale.edu/19th_century/csa_texsec.asp
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:09:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Well, the whole "Freedom is Slavery" idea from 1984 is basically the foundation of the South's philosophy, both before and after the war.

So perhaps using Orwell against the Yankees isn't such a good idea in this case, hmm?
View Quote

Ignorance is strength as well.

They even have their extended 2-minutes hate to get that frustration out and feel that group solidarity with the ritual scorning of the Emmanuel Goldstein's SJW types.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:09:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Isis and taliban destroy ancient memorials and monuments too.
View Quote

They weren't  Christian monuments so the libs were pissed about it.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:14:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Where was your righteous indignation about the Confederate flag on, say, June 16th?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
- George Orwell, 1984

Nailed it.

Yup, heck, today the flags of the Confederacy no longer represent the movement outline by its founders, they represent Sweet Tea, Nascar, and freedom from Obama's gun control tyranny. Those speeches and documents must not be taught. Instead, we should watch Dukes of Hazzard.

And if you want people to actually read the words of those who founded the Confederacy, you will be accused of crime think and shunned as an unbeliever in Derp Brother.

Edited to fix mis-spelling of Hazzard County.

Where was your righteous indignation about the Confederate flag on, say, June 16th?

Probably rejoicing with the gays about the overstep of Feds on State's rights.  We've read the words of lead Confederacy folks like General Lee and know he wasn't a racist nor did he believe in slavery.  It's not all black and white, but some see the world through their own myopic arrogance.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:18:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Probably rejoicing with the gays about the overstep of Feds on State's rights.  We've read the words of lead Confederacy folks like General Lee and know he wasn't a racist nor did he believe in slavery.  It's not all black and white, but some see the world through their own myopic arrogance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
- George Orwell, 1984

Nailed it.

Yup, heck, today the flags of the Confederacy no longer represent the movement outline by its founders, they represent Sweet Tea, Nascar, and freedom from Obama's gun control tyranny. Those speeches and documents must not be taught. Instead, we should watch Dukes of Hazzard.

And if you want people to actually read the words of those who founded the Confederacy, you will be accused of crime think and shunned as an unbeliever in Derp Brother.

Edited to fix mis-spelling of Hazzard County.

Lee was serving in the US Army until after the Confederacy was formed and their Constitution adopted.

And I have been dealing with revisionist history types here for years. It's only recently become fashionable for that crowd to paint all opposition as "Leftist" though.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:20:39 PM EDT
[#41]
He really understood human nature.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:28:24 PM EDT
[#42]
There's a lot of folks here who claim it wasn't at all about slavery or racism.

That simply isn't the general connotation of the flag, and the vast majority of those who fly it know it.

If Johnny Reb wants to fly it, I don't care. If Adolf Skinhead wants to fly swastikas to commemorate the "grand socialist ideals" of early 20th century Germany, I couldn't give a fuck.

The point is that to most people, the flag stands for a failed and unjust rebellion tied strongly to slavery. I wish that some of you so vehemently arguing against this would use this ardor constructively instead of quickly falling to resigned defeatism with regard to Hillary's chances in 2016.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:30:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Why did that Hooters girl throw the sledgehammer at the movie screen ?

Just Kidding.  She does look like a hooters girl though.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:33:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
<snip>

The point is that to most people, the flag stands for a failed and unjust rebellion tied strongly to slavery. I wish that some of you so vehemently arguing against this would use this ardor constructively instead of quickly falling to resigned defeatism with regard to Hillary's chances in 2016.
View Quote

You may want to check CNN's national poll this week. You may be surprised as they were when they reported on their own poll.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:37:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As a Texan it seems much easier to understand the fact that assholes in a far off government giving edicts can only be tolerated for so long, regardless of the issue to which they speak.

A growing number of southerners  want to secede again and I'm  pretty sure we can rule out the damn race card on this one.  
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:41:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

You may want to check CNN's national poll this week. You may be surprised as they were when they reported on their own poll.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<snip>

interesting.

it seems the other 43% is a very vocal 43%.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:53:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

interesting.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
<snip>

interesting.

"57 percent said it’s a symbol of Southern pride, 33 percent called it more a symbol of racism" and 5 percent said it’s both equally."

33%. The "progressive outrage" always sounds loud, they have lots of loudspeakers broadcasting their whining horseshit.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 3:05:20 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Interesting perspective, I hadn't thought of that.  They all used to carry the Little Read Book.
And this corporation has lost it way.

https://youtu.be/VtvjbmoDx-I

And no one cares about Apple knowing all they do through the iPhone

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.”

- George Orwell, 1984

He wrote this in the 40s, I feel our current crop of sjw are modelling themselves more on Mao's red guards from the 60s cultural revolution. Not sure what the body count from that was, maybe the fallun gong dude can chip in if he's still around.

Interesting perspective, I hadn't thought of that.  They all used to carry the Little Read Book.
And this corporation has lost it way.

https://youtu.be/VtvjbmoDx-I

And no one cares about Apple knowing all they do through the iPhone

That shit is way beyond iPhone.  Google is Skynet.

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 3:07:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
       George Orwell was a racist bigot xenophobe hate monger

ETA: Oh, and his books should be banned and burned    required reading.

View Quote
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 5:07:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Just a bit ironic.

View Quote

So in your own words, 3 out of every 4  CSA soldiers volunteered, but you some how infer there were few "true" volunteers?

In 1942, all pre-Pearl Harbor and post-Pearl Harbor volunteers (as well as the promised one year of service draftees) were extended for the duration of the war. I guess they were not true volunteers either, eh?
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top