[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not a spokesman for anyone but myself. However, these threads make it is more than clear that the current Democrat strategy - to paint Republicans as the modern-day apologists for the Confederacy - is working more than they ever could have dreamed.

You're kidding right? What have you been doing for 9 pages ?

http://www.pride.com/sites/pride.com/files/xapkbeu.gif

Bastard! I just spit beer on my keyboard.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:21:23 PM EDT
[#2]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not a spokesman for anyone but myself. However, these threads make it is more than clear that the current Democrat strategy - to paint Republicans as the modern-day apologists for the Confederacy - is working more than they ever could have dreamed.

If there were ever a 9 page thread perfectly summarized by a gif, this would be it.

Well done.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:47:45 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I'm not saying they don't have footnotes. I'm asking you to present the argument here, not tell people to read a book. Then again, you knew that. Straw men are so fun to set up and then put down, and you have fans here.

All I've seen from you so far is misdirection and pathetic attempts to smear the United States on Independence Day.
View Quote

And all of seen from you are the same superficial arguments repeated over and over again, coupled with assertions that everyone else is wrong - based on your superficial arguments and declarations that everything else is a straw man.

I'm not going to retype thousands of pages from dozens of books.  Nature and / or divine Providence gave you eyes and a brain.  Someone taught you to read.  I am going to assume that you also understand critical thinking and can analyze from multiple sources.

Go and do that widely instead of requoting the various Ordinances of Secession and the Cornerstone speech.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:59:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I get removing it from state government buildings but historic sites should fly them. Maybe they can rise an American flag over it.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 3:02:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

And all of seen from you are the same superficial arguments repeated over and over again, coupled with assertions that everyone else is wrong - based on your superficial arguments and declarations that everything else is a straw man.

I'm not going to retype thousands of pages from dozens of books.  Nature and / or divine Providence gave you eyes and a brain.  Someone taught you to read.  I am going to assume that you also understand critical thinking and can analyze from multiple sources.

Go and do that widely instead of requoting the various Ordinances of Secession and the Cornerstone speech.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not saying they don't have footnotes. I'm asking you to present the argument here, not tell people to read a book. Then again, you knew that. Straw men are so fun to set up and then put down, and you have fans here.

All I've seen from you so far is misdirection and pathetic attempts to smear the United States on Independence Day.

If it takes that much to argue that Confederacy was not founded for the reasons cited in the various Ordinances of Secession and the Cornerstone speech, then maybe it's a specious argument.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 3:33:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

If it takes that much to argue that Confederacy was not founded for the reasons cited in the various Ordinances of Secession and the Cornerstone speech, then maybe it's a specious argument.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Once again, it's as if a symbol can be symbolic of many things to many people. Most people don't give a shit about what politicians past or present think. So the fact that the politicians wanted to fight for slavery is fucking virtually irrelevant to the conversation.

Unless you are one of the leftist looking for a reason to be offended, shout "racist" and rip down historic symbols because of your feels.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 3:35:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I paint the Confederacy with the Broad brush of racism. Flags and what not are secondary to that.

Anyone who tries to deny the very foundation of the movement that led to it is the one trying to revise history.

Anyone who fixates on different flags is clearly missing the point, probably intentionally.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 3:36:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Once again, it's as if a symbol can be symbolic of many things to many people. Most people don't give a shit about what politicians past or present think. So the fact that the politicians wanted to fight for slavery is fucking virtually irrelevant to the conversation.

Unless you are one of the leftist looking for a reason to be offended, shout "racist" and rip down historic symbols because of your feels.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It will only cease to be relevant when people cease denying it.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 3:47:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank god you are here to enlighten everyone.

So you are concerned that people don't know the Confederacy is linked to slavery?

Yet virtually the only thing taught in public schools is that the war was all about slavery, and the righteous North fought to end it.

Where are you campaigning to end that more prevalent and equally ignorant form of revisionist history? By the way, this is the form of ignorance that the Marxist support, and is the reason why so many are outraged and are demanding the removal of the flag.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 3:48:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

If there were ever a 9 page thread perfectly summarized by a gif, this would be it.

Well done.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well done.

Made me think of this one…

But you're probably right.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 3:53:06 PM EDT
[#11]
This is hilarious..

Subject Matter Expert "I have a Masters in Civil War Studies, with my thesis in the politics of secession in NC, 1850-1861."

Bohr Adams "Fuck your references I know I am more righter than you"

When an SME tells you that you are wrong and taking references out of their complete context, most normal people, myself included, would STFU and maybe at minimum defer to their knowledge or ask for a better understanding...Notice I said most normal people...lol

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 3:57:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
This is hilarious..

Subject Matter Expert "I have a Masters in Civil War Studies, with my thesis in the politics of secession in NC, 1850-1861."

When an SME tells you that you are wrong and taking references out of their complete context, most normal people, myself included, would STFU and maybe at minimum defer to their knowledge or ask for a better understanding...Notice I said most normal people...lol
View Quote

When he can't counter my arguments (actually not my arguments, the exact words of Confederate founders in their own words) except to say "read a book," it's just yet another logical fallacy to go with the earlier Straw Men and Red Herrings, this time an Argument from Authority.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 4:06:14 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

When he can't counter my arguments (actually not my arguments, the exact words of Confederate founders in their own words) except to say "read a book," it's just yet another logical fallacy to go with the earlier Straw Men and Red Herrings, this time an Argument from Authority.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This is hilarious..

Not sure how you learn things but for me it was usually centered around reading books written by SMEs.  He gave you quite a reference list of books to read that apparently he has read and you haven't?

Quite a reading list you got there so instead of claiming his statements as a logical fallacy, straw man or any of your other intellectual dismissals of opposing viewpoints I would think you have some remedial reading to do.  At least if you are going to insult the man you should be able to say "Yeah I've read those and I disagree with your conclusions".

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 4:10:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Not sure how you learn things but for me it was usually centered around reading books written by SMEs.  He gave you quite a reference list of books to read that apparently he has read and you haven't?

Quite a reading list you got there so instead of claiming his statements as a logical fallacy, straw man or any of your other intellectual dismissals of opposing viewpoints I would think you have some remedial reading to do.  At least if you are going to insult the man you should be able to say "Yeah I've read those and I disagree with your conclusions".

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is hilarious..

I haven't read those, and he hasn't offered any conclusions contradictory to anything I have stated, just Red Herrings.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 4:17:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I haven't read those, and he hasn't offered any conclusions contradictory to anything I have stated, just Red Herrings.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is hilarious..

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 4:21:07 PM EDT
[#16]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is hilarious..

I find your argument persuasive, and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Meanwhile, nobody has offered up a single reason why the words of Confederate founding fathers I quoted do not accurately reflect the ideology of the Confederacy, or why I should consider the US flag to be racist.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 4:38:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Because that was just one flag of many, so all the other flags are OK? Just that one is particularly bad...or more bad?

Slavery was an issue of course but it was at that time way more nuanced than you make it out to be.

Those nuances are what others (obviously those besides yourself) see in the symbolism.

Your views of the symbolism are different and no more right or wrong then that of others.

What you subscribe to is the ability to define your views of the symbolism and ascribe it to all others regardless of their personal viewpoints.

You then go further with the ostracism of calling them racist and revisionist.

As I said before you are not a mind reader, probably not form the South (nor am I) the difference between us is I will not pretend to judge based upon personal views that I do or do not share.  You aren't a mind reader nor am I.

No matter it was a significant part of our country's history that should not be sanitized on either side as in truth neither side really held the higher moral ground.  What is worse is the knee jerk reaction by the masses to label a whole region of peoples based upon their ideology and their symbolism.  As polls have shown most people don't equivocate the flag to racism yet a handful of SJWs want to equivocate anybody that flies the flag as a racist...you are one of those.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 6:37:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Because that was just one flag of many, so all the other flags are OK? Just that one is particularly bad...or more bad?

Slavery was an issue of course but it was at that time way more nuanced than you make it out to be.

Those nuances are what others (obviously those besides yourself) see in the symbolism.

Your views of the symbolism are different and no more right or wrong then that of others.

What you subscribe to is the ability to define your views of the symbolism and ascribe it to all others regardless of their personal viewpoints.

As I said before you are not a mind reader, probably not form the South (nor am I) the difference between us is I will not pretend to judge based upon personal views that I do or do not share.  You aren't a mind reader nor am I.

No matter it was a significant part of our country's history that should not be sanitized on either side as in truth neither side really held the higher moral ground.  What is worse is the knee jerk reaction by the masses to label a whole region of peoples based upon their ideology and their symbolism.  As polls have shown most people don't equivocate the flag to racism yet a handful of SJWs want to equivocate anybody that flies the flag as a racist...you are one of those.
View Quote

Excellent post.  I have never been around ANYONE who flew the Stars & Bars as a racist statement.  Do they exist?  Sure.  Are they the norm?  Only in Bohr's warped mind.  Maybe the "fuck you" aspect is what really applies the sand.  Something is obviously grating on his nether region.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 6:53:14 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Excellent post.  I have never been around ANYONE who flew the Stars & Bars as a racist statement.  Do they exist?  Sure.  Are they the norm?  Only in Bohr's warped mind.  Maybe the "fuck you" aspect is what really applies the sand.  Something is obviously grating on his nether region.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess I should be banned for doing a call-out thread.  I'm sorry, anybody that prefaces their argument with "I am painting with a broad brush" you should be very wary of their views as we all know that a broad brush is tantamount to labeling which in itself is inherently wrong and ignorant.

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 6:53:48 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

DT;

What is even more amazing is that he derides a person with a friggen Masters degree and probably the best SME on this subject as irrelivant.  Nobody has said that that flag did not at one time represnt White Supremacy.  They simply said  "look dude that wasn't the only causal effect that the flag meant"  So it has been co-opted to now meen many things to many different peoples,,,BFD shit like that happens in the course of history.

Yet he still stubbornly refuses to believe that that flag could represent ALSO a big FU to the government.

Somehow I would have totally expected Bohr Adams and Josh to pounce on this like their own personal treatise... I was actually waiting for our third statist member   Fed-DC to jump in but he doesn't read any books so it would be over his head.

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 7:05:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

You don't have to like facts, they're still facts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's no comparison between a SCOTUS decision and the continued flying of a flag that celebrates racism and slavery.

jeez, that was really stupid....

Bullshit
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 7:07:48 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Bullshit
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

There's no comparison between a SCOTUS decision and the continued flying of a flag that celebrates racism and slavery.

Bullshit

How original?

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 7:09:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Bullshit
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bullshit

Who the fuck are you and why did you steal Bohr adam's avatar?
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 7:14:19 PM EDT
[#24]
A couple butt hurt SJW's up in here
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 7:26:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bullshit

A fellow lifer who is calling your blanket statement for what it is.  A flag cannot celebrate anything, it's only in the mans heart who flies it.  Are you saying anyone who does this celebrates slavery and racism?

That's a broad brush brother.

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 7:34:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Someone drove past my house this afternoon flying both the United States flag and the Confederate battle flag from the bed of his truck.
Was he trying to equate the two?
Was he making a statement about the duality of man the country?

Was he simply giving the finger to those who seek to tell him not to fly the Confederate battle flag?
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 7:55:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

A fellow lifer who is calling your blanket statement for what it is.  A flag cannot celebrate anything, it's only in the mans heart who flies it.  Are you saying anyone who does this celebrates slavery and racism?

That's a broad brush brother.

View Quote

I'm saying that flag was created and stood for and continues to stand for racism, slavery, oppression, and white supremacy.  There are plenty of people who believe otherwise -- but that doesn't change the facts.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 8:00:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Such brilliance.  Alinsky would be proud.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:so your argument is absurd anyway.

So you have nothing.

You're arguing the American flag is just the same as the Confederate flag because it was fought for in the Revolutionary War -- but we don't even fly that flag anymore.  I've never seen it outside a history museum -- where the fucking confederate symbol of racism belongs.

The confederate flag, on the other hand?

The argument is absurd.  It always has been, it will continue to be, no matter how many degrees you have -- though having degrees in a subject doesn't make people experts in your eyes anyway, you were arguing with plenty of us in your "Apple sucks" thread, based on decades old grudges (oh wait, does that sound familiar?) and no information whatsoever.

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 8:12:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I fund your argument persuasive, and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Meanwhile, nobody has offered up a single reason why the words of Confederate founding fathers I quoted do not accurately reflect the ideology of the Confederacy, or why I should consider the US flag to be racist.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I fund your argument persuasive, and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Actually, it has been explained several times, but you choose to ignore it, or lack the ability to comprehend and respond with the same type of input which is about as intellectual as the gif below.

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 8:14:40 PM EDT
[#30]
American history is being sanitized and rewritten. It's part of the leftists plan. Eradicate any sense of national pride or patriotism. Eliminate the record of instances that forged the republic and replace them with propaganda.

If you think this is about the confederate flag you are way behind the power curve. This is about destroying any remaining bastions of conservatism. Erasing allegiance to an idea and forcing adherence to statism.  Look for reparations to blacks to be given next. When it becomes so risky to voice opinion and ideas become outlawed the left will have to do very little to complete the plan that has been in place for a century.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 8:18:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
American history is being sanitized and rewritten. It's part of the leftists plan. Eradicate any sense of national pride or patriotism. Eliminate the record of instances that forged the republic and replace them with propaganda.

If you think this is about the confederate flag you are way behind the power curve. This is about destroying any remaining bastions of conservatism. Erasing allegiance to an idea and forcing adherence to statism.  Look for reparations to blacks to be given next. When it becomes so risky to voice opinion and ideas become outlawed the left will have to do very little to complete the plan that has been in place for a century.
View Quote

The confederacy had nothing to do with conservatism, and there's nothing here about rewriting history.  The "south will rise again" stupidity is all about whitewashing and rewriting history, however.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 8:19:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I have always thought the Confederate Flag was silly even when I had a very rudimentary understanding of the Civil War and modern America. I can say as early as age 9 I knew the REPUBLICAN president Lincoln freed the slaves against the will of southern DEMOCRATS, at that young age I knew there was a Civil War in this same time frame and the South lost so I never understood why people still flew the South's battle flag since it was the flag of an enemy that the United States fought and destroyed for all intensive purposes. I never really had motivation to understand why people flew it, but I was very young and very preoccupied with Power Rangers and what not.

As an adult I re-took history in college for the humanities credits every degree requires and read a few books on Lincoln and the Civil War, and I still couldn't understand why people would fly the Confederate Flag again to me in my mind the Confederate flag has always been a democrat symbol. Yet I noticed it wasn't stopping people who were right wing politically from flying a flag that has historically belonged to the political left wing. Much in the same way that modern blacks vote democrat even though if democrats had their way back in the Civil War all blacks would be slaves today. Again I just wrote it off as "people are stupid, who cares" and never thought about it again.

More recently this whole "banning the Confederate Flag" debacle has made me do some serious introspection to go back over what I learned in school both times and do a lot of personal research. One thing I notice over and over again is that a lot of people MOSTLY people here on arfcom will try to glaze over the whole slavery issue and redirect all talk about the Civil War to try to make it seem like the Civil War has nothing or very little to do with slavery. Which simply isn't true, the Civil War happened recently in the grand scheme of events and it happened in this country at which point the spoken language was English. The Civil War was witnessed by hundreds of thousands of people from both sides of the event and has been recorded bu thousands and thousands of people. the point I'm trying to make is that there is no way no misinterpret the events of the Civil War or what each side was fighting for. Yet some people when asked about it will spin a completely different chain of events which fits some kind of narrative they have either created in their mind or been told second hand and accepted it as truth. Suddenly it hit me! You notice this exact same thing in 9/11 truthers! It's the same exact situation its a public event that such a large amount of people witnessed and were apart of that there is no way to misconstrue what happened YET some crazy people believe our government perpetrated the attack which is the exact opposite of the truth.

I guess the point I'm getting at is to chose your battle carefully. This is not a battle you should get behind, the Confederate Flag is not something that needs to be "Saved". The Confederate flag has nothing to do with states rights and the "political modern left" aren't trying to ban it as a show of force. People don't like it for what it represents if you can't understand that then it is time for you to do some introspection as well. That is not an insult I just think it is really good in life to sit back and look at yourself and your ideals and really decide if this is the man/woman you want to be? Do you really want to honor an ancient enemy combatants flag, is that really what you represent? Frankly put you look and sound insane with this "war of northern aggression" talk and that is coming from an EXTREMELY RIGHT WING veteran. I'm so far right that republicans disgust me sometimes.

http://www.politifake.org/image/political/1206/the-democrat-party-democrats-hate-slavery-free-trade-politics-1338765957.jpg
View Quote

Well, you're DEFINITELY right about ONE thing.... you have a VERY rudimentary understanding of the issue.... Just as I have a very rudimentary understanding of the illegal immigrant issue in AZ. We've hashed the history out in umpteen threads.... and facts STILL seem to escape people like you.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 8:19:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

You mean like the American flags that flew over all the states that allowed slavery prior to the Civil War?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just when you think this CBF shit can't get any dumber.....

Not just the CBF in this case. ALL Confederate flags.

Good, the years of blindly tolerating the symbols of a movement that opposed everything this country stands for, all in them name of "reconciliation" (while actually being nothing more than pandering) might as well end now.

You mean like the American flags that flew over all the states that allowed slavery prior to the Civil War?

AND DURING.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 8:22:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

AND DURING.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just when you think this CBF shit can't get any dumber.....

Not just the CBF in this case. ALL Confederate flags.

Good, the years of blindly tolerating the symbols of a movement that opposed everything this country stands for, all in them name of "reconciliation" (while actually being nothing more than pandering) might as well end now.

AND DURING.

This one?

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 8:31:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Strawman #1: The issue the National Parks Service has with the flags of the Confederacy is that the Confederacy allowed slavery.

Not true. The issue is with the founding PURPOSE and ENTIRE REASON FOR EXISTENCE of the political entity called the Confederacy, which was the preservation of black slavery and white supremacy.

Once you recognize your straw man, you will see why your attempt to say my explanation means "jack shit" is fallacious.

Strawman #2: The National Park Service is removing flags from a historical site akin to removing markings from historical aircraft.

Not true. There are all sorts of historically relevant flags at the site. The flags in question were put up after WWII for pete's sake - they are not part of any historical exhibit, and do not denote any specific historical event. There are plenty of various historically accurate Confederate flags throughout the site that mark historical events. Nobody is trying to cover up history except those who keep trying to gloss over the words of the founders of the Confederacy.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are so original, a dozen people in this thread have not already uttered this complete derp that completely ignores the issue of founding principles, and the fact that even the secessionists frequently admitted that the anti-slave sentiment at the time of the US Constitution was very high and led to tensions between states even back then.

I am not aware of any self-declared State in the history of western civilization whose founding principle (corner-stone, if you will) was expressed as the desire to perpetuate white supremacy and black slavery against a perceived onslaught of SJWs who dared to believe in human equality.

Which doesn't mean jack shit.  Either the American Flag represented a country where slavery was legal or it didn't.  And it did.  "Oh I know our country, in its history, allowed people to enslave and abuse thousands and thousands of people...but there was tension!"  If my history isn't failing me I do believe slavery was actually legal in the north longer than it was in the south.  Also many Northern states still allowed slavery during the war and many Northern generals actually owned slaves during the war.

I personally could give a fuck if Joe Bob and his brother Big Bill want to fly their stupid flag at the Nascrap race.  No skin of my dick.  I personally think it's dumb but to each their own.

This goes further than that.  This is removing a flag from a historical Civil War site.  This is levels of retardation that aren't even describable withing the limits of the English language.  What's next?  Are we going to start painting over swastikas on WW2 German Aircraft because people that see them flying at airshows might be so sheltered and ignorant that they just don't understand the history?  You know..unless they take the time to visit a museum.

Strawman #1: The issue the National Parks Service has with the flags of the Confederacy is that the Confederacy allowed slavery.

Not true. The issue is with the founding PURPOSE and ENTIRE REASON FOR EXISTENCE of the political entity called the Confederacy, which was the preservation of black slavery and white supremacy.

Once you recognize your straw man, you will see why your attempt to say my explanation means "jack shit" is fallacious.

Strawman #2: The National Park Service is removing flags from a historical site akin to removing markings from historical aircraft.

Not true. There are all sorts of historically relevant flags at the site. The flags in question were put up after WWII for pete's sake - they are not part of any historical exhibit, and do not denote any specific historical event. There are plenty of various historically accurate Confederate flags throughout the site that mark historical events. Nobody is trying to cover up history except those who keep trying to gloss over the words of the founders of the Confederacy.

Actually, the flag in question (in SC) is part of a HISTORICAL MONUMENT. Not that anyone is paying any attention to facts.  And you really are missing the history. Yes, slave owners wrote those words. No, the majority of Southerners weren't overly concerned with slavery -they weren't a part of the system. Northerners were every bit as racist at that time as any Southerner, and viewed black men as beneath them. Remember, there were four states that remained in the UNION during the war, and remained slaveholding until AFTER the war. SC was going to secede during Jackson's presidency because of tariffs and economic warfare by the North (in fact, the South paid the majority of taxes at the time). One of the major contributing factors of the Civil War was the tariff of 1860. This is well-documented in foreign news and commentary of the time. Simply NOT as cut-and-dry as you want to make it.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 8:36:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Of course it is,  the War of Northern Aggression was about tariffs, don't you know......

I'm starting to get a real case of ass about all this revisionist bullshit.   It was amusing 10 years ago, now its just fucking pathetic.  

I ALMOST hope that Obama gets his brownshirts rolling and we have a night of the long knives for anyone flying the battle flag.    ALMOST.  

I'll wait while the revisionist google.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is a huge victory for the left. They can pretty much set their own agenda and get the masses to follow. It's like a bully in a school yard with a bunch of wimpy kids that won't fight back.

So, in your mind, it's "Leftism" not to pander to Southern historical revisionism?

Of course it is,  the War of Northern Aggression was about tariffs, don't you know......

I'm starting to get a real case of ass about all this revisionist bullshit.   It was amusing 10 years ago, now its just fucking pathetic.  

I ALMOST hope that Obama gets his brownshirts rolling and we have a night of the long knives for anyone flying the battle flag.    ALMOST.  

No, the "revisionist" version is that the GLORIOUS, MORAL NORTH fought the EVIL, RACIST SOUTH to FREE ALL SLAVES. Oversimplification and lies. Winners write the history books, and all that. Oh, and if you tell a lie enough times, it eventually becomes the truth.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 8:40:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Just when you think this Confederate flag shit can't get any dumber.....  

View Quote

Wait until the fedgov makes displaying one or even owning one illegal.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 8:42:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I wonder if tough guy will sign up to Live the Adventure
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is a huge victory for the left. They can pretty much set their own agenda and get the masses to follow. It's like a bully in a school yard with a bunch of wimpy kids that won't fight back.

So, in your mind, it's "Leftism" not to pander to Southern historical revisionism?

A large percentage of red blooded Americans will be ALMOST waiting for you too, princess.  

I wonder if tough guy will sign up to Live the Adventure

You DO realize you sound like a thirteen-year-old rager, right?
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 8:52:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Are you serious?  Do you even understand how research works and historical analysis works?

I have a Masters in Civil War Studies, with my thesis in the politics of secession in NC, 1850-1861.

In every one of those books you disparage you will find these things called "footnotes" - sometimes called "endnotes".  Those tie to a bibliography, which includes primary sources.

If you are able to, then you can physically travel to the places where they have those primary sources and actually read them, if they let you because you just can't walk in and expect to.

I did that.  I also read numerous historical works where historians of differing viewpoints analyzed those events and the primary sources through their perspectives.  I developed my own analysis.

Most people will not be able to spend the 20+ years that Freehling or William C. Davis or whomever invested in the scholarship and research necessary to write these books - from primary and contemporary secondary sources that aren't online. They didn't google it.

Silly me.  I could have just been told what to think.

Because, you see, just reading the Cornerstone Speech without reading the journals and records of the men who framed the Confederate Constitution, the debates of the Confederate Constitutional Convention, studying the entirety of the political environment that led up to that event, the impact of the fire-eaters on both regional and national party politics, and understanding why Stephens was selected as the VP of the Confederacy and why he became estranged from Davis, the Confederate Congress and mainstream Confederate politics is to observe only a moment in time.

It is a superficial effort and produces a superficial understanding.  History is more than just reading some primary sources and regurgitating them.

Now quote some more of the Ordinances of Secession at me or the Cornerstone speech and then tell me how stupid I am.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:Fuck your primary sources, I have books written decades later!Maybe you can link to sources these books reference that are actually contemporary to the issues? So much is online now these days, it's scary.

Are you serious?  Do you even understand how research works and historical analysis works?

I have a Masters in Civil War Studies, with my thesis in the politics of secession in NC, 1850-1861.

In every one of those books you disparage you will find these things called "footnotes" - sometimes called "endnotes".  Those tie to a bibliography, which includes primary sources.

If you are able to, then you can physically travel to the places where they have those primary sources and actually read them, if they let you because you just can't walk in and expect to.

I did that.  I also read numerous historical works where historians of differing viewpoints analyzed those events and the primary sources through their perspectives.  I developed my own analysis.

Most people will not be able to spend the 20+ years that Freehling or William C. Davis or whomever invested in the scholarship and research necessary to write these books - from primary and contemporary secondary sources that aren't online. They didn't google it.

Silly me.  I could have just been told what to think.

Because, you see, just reading the Cornerstone Speech without reading the journals and records of the men who framed the Confederate Constitution, the debates of the Confederate Constitutional Convention, studying the entirety of the political environment that led up to that event, the impact of the fire-eaters on both regional and national party politics, and understanding why Stephens was selected as the VP of the Confederacy and why he became estranged from Davis, the Confederate Congress and mainstream Confederate politics is to observe only a moment in time.

It is a superficial effort and produces a superficial understanding.  History is more than just reading some primary sources and regurgitating them.

Now quote some more of the Ordinances of Secession at me or the Cornerstone speech and then tell me how stupid I am.

Charles Dickens wrote quite a bit about the causes of the strife between North and South, quite a bit of god analysis from an outside (British) source. Read that and a bit more from outside of the US and you'll tell YOURSELF how stupid you are.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 8:57:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Actually, it has been explained several times, but you choose to ignore it, or lack the ability to comprehend and respond with the same type of input which is about as intellectual as the gif below.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 8:59:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

All Nazis were Germans/Austrians.

Ergo, all Germans/Austrians were Nazis.

Facts and logic do not go hand in hand. You can lie better with facts than with falsehoods. Democrats do it all the time, and they're doing it right now vis-à-vis the Confederate flag.

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 9:01:55 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is hilarious..

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 9:09:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Facts and logic do not go hand in hand. You can lie better with facts than with falsehoods. Democrats do it all the time, and they're doing it right now vis-à-vis the Confederate flag.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's not logic, it's a fallacy. Show me where I've said all people who worship the confederate flag are racists.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 9:13:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just when you think this Confederate flag shit can't get any dumber.....  

I love it when people refer to the government as though it exists against their will. If you don't like the government you elected, vote them out.

The government hasn't banned displaying swastikas, have they?  Did the footsteps amendment get repealed while I wasn't paying attention?
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 9:13:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

So you have nothing.

You're arguing the American flag is just the same as the Confederate flag because it was fought for in the Revolutionary War -- but we don't even fly that flag anymore.  I've never seen it outside a history museum -- where the fucking confederate symbol of racism belongs.

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=78318

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=78319

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=78320

The argument is absurd.  It always has been, it will continue to be, no matter how many degrees you have -- though having degrees in a subject doesn't make people experts in your eyes anyway, you were arguing with plenty of us in your "Apple sucks" thread, based on decades old grudges (oh wait, does that sound familiar?) and no information whatsoever.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=78293

So you have nothing.

I might point out that the sheet-heads also fly the US flag at their little marches. Sooooo.....

The tattoo shows nothing inherently racist. In fact, most states used hanging as execution of the death penalty at some point. During Reconstruction, the "justice system" was made up of Union military and carpetbaggers, and fairness wasn't exactly their strong suit. During that time, Southerners often had to find their OWN justice..... and that mentality still remains to a degree. It's also why so many Southerners have so little trust in Government.

Rise again? Never give up, never give in. Think Gadsden Flag.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 9:16:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I might point out that the sheet-heads also fly the US flag at their little marches. Sooooo.....

The tattoo shows nothing inherently racist. In fact, most states used hanging as execution of the death penalty at some point. During Reconstruction, the "justice system" was made up of Union military and carpetbaggers, and fairness wasn't exactly their strong suit. During that time, Southerners often had to find their OWN justice..... and that mentality still remains to a degree. It's also why so many Southerners have so little trust in Government.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you have nothing.

Some of them do, yes - but the U.S. Flag never stood for slavery. It wasn't created to fight for slavery. It doesn't, to the vast majority of the world, have anything to do with anything the confederate flag does.

And the tattoo?  It's about lynching black people. That's obvious.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 2:01:38 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Some of them do, yes - but the U.S. Flag never stood for slavery. It wasn't created to fight for slavery. It doesn't, to the vast majority of the world, have anything to do with anything the confederate flag does.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you have nothing.

Projection seems to be your obvious forte, is there no one in the current administration that you would tar & feather?  Failing that, you are the gov shill that many have claimed you to be.  Name them.   Quite the quandary, eh wot?  
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 2:22:00 AM EDT
[#48]
There's way too much full-retard in this thread.

Fly the damn flag. The more people that are offended the happier I am.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 4:24:39 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you have nothing.

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 5:39:22 AM EDT
[#50]

I love how Bohr made a very simple statement, about a very specific thing, and everyone is trying to argue with him about completely different things.

LOL...  Some of you might want to step back and examine exactly what he said.  
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top