Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/3/2015 3:50:05 AM EDT
This is one of those web sites that is possibly transformative.  

Ever wonder about the crime rate in your neighborhood or the surrounding areas?

Want to see what the police have to put up with everyday?

Ever want to form fact-based opinions and make arguments in debates that have a basis in fact?

Enjoy this sight, I know you will.

Play around with the settings
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 4:01:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Racist.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 4:02:30 AM EDT
[#2]
In
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 4:03:38 AM EDT
[#3]
I can just read the police blotter in the local paper. All kinds of drunken rednecks doing stupid shit.

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 4:13:54 AM EDT
[#4]
closest reporting department to me is 40+ miles away. - iberia parish, louisiana

burglary/theft are the most common in that area.

violent crime almost doesn't exist, at least in the week or so that is shown in the default display.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 4:14:27 AM EDT
[#5]
The site says that open investigations are not reported, only closed cases.

How much worse would it be if they reported the misses and not just the hits?
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 4:16:09 AM EDT
[#6]
You can apply filters to display only certain types of crime or classes of crimes (i.e., property-only ot violent crimes).

I find I need to restrict the time interval to just a few days or the map of my area displays too many crimes.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 4:19:06 AM EDT
[#7]
If crimemapping.com doesn't work for your area check out spotcrime.com
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 4:25:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Either I live in the safest city/county in the USA...OR my local PD and SOs info is not used by that site.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 4:31:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Either I live in the safest city/county in the USA...OR my local PD and SOs info is not used by that site.
View Quote

LOL!

My City's PD does not report stats in a format usable by this site.  You can go to the PD's web site and get a weekly report of crimes in the City but it is not usable by this mapping application, as is.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 4:53:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

LOL!

My City's PD does not report stats in a format usable by this site.  You can go to the PD's web site and get a weekly report of crimes in the City but it is not usable by this mapping application, as is.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL!

Which is irritating because it would be highly useful when looking at where to live........look for the places with many fewer crimes.  

But maps & stats are racist.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:02:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Which is irritating because it would be highly useful when looking at where to live........look for the places with many fewer crimes.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL!

Does spotcrime.com work for your area?
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:03:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The site says that open investigations are not reported, only closed cases.

How much worse would it be if they reported the misses and not just the hits?
View Quote

Well, since something like 60% of murders go unsolved, and I think those are usually the highest priority crimes for investigation, I'd guess it might be worse.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:04:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Not really, there's not much crime here. The cold tends to keep the riff raff out
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:07:13 AM EDT
[#14]

Yawn ---------- shit be happen'in in da hood...

Found one (1) crime in a two mile radius...

VEHICLE BREAK-IN/THEFT
Zoom here
Case Number: 150006156
Date: 6/29/2015 5:30 PM
Description: Theft From Locked Vehicle
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:16:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Not much happens in Sierra Vista. Zero crimes in the area.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 6:04:08 AM EDT
[#16]
searched Jan 1 2015 to now and no crimes in town

now town only has 1 traffic light, but I think that we might not be reporting to them
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 6:20:18 AM EDT
[#17]
it lists no crimes happening in baltimore in the last year

wat
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 6:55:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Is that your address in the original link??
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 7:03:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Interesting site.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 7:42:49 AM EDT
[#20]
My neighborhood:

Evidently, the site was overloaded with crime stats, couldn't display any more crimes.  Time to move?
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:01:09 AM EDT
[#21]
They apparently don't have any data for where I live; it states nothing has happened even with the dates changed.  They shot three people last week walking down the street so if that's missing they just don't have data for my area.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:20:46 AM EDT
[#22]
No data for my area

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:25:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Doesn't work for my zip code
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:18:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
This is one of those web sites that is possibly transformative.  

Ever wonder about the crime rate in your neighborhood or the surrounding areas?

Want to see what the police have to put up with everyday?

Ever want to form fact-based opinions and make arguments in debates that have a basis in fact?

Enjoy this sight, I know you will.

Play around with the settings
View Quote
Shockingly Baltimore doesnt have statistics (or at least work for me).
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:44:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Houston Texas has zero crime!

I feel so safe.   anyone want mah guns?

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 10:02:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Diversity
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 10:07:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Crime mapping is racist because it illustrates that black neighborhoods have more crime than any other type of neighborhood.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 10:11:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Does spotcrime.com work for your area?
View Quote

Yup.

16 simple assaults
4  assaults with theft
2 thefts
15 burglaries

all of 5 Arrests

The Phoenix PD is hard at work in my area
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 10:12:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Site doesn't work for me, even when I put in the nearest big shithole town it says zero crime in the last six months.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 10:29:43 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

If crimemapping.com doesn't work for your area check out spotcrime.com
View Quote
I have the daily report emailed to me. My neighborhood is Copland, so if I see a case that interests me, they can usually find out what happened, which is nice.

I'm pretty much at work from sunrise to sunset and knowing what's going on keeps my mind at ease.

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 1:11:42 PM EDT
[#31]
My City does not report, either.  Still, it's interesting to see the surrounding areas.  I was looking at this during an evaluation of where to live if I move (Albuquerque).  It had plenty of data for there.

So far, the worst place I have found (highest density of crimes against people) is San Francisco.  It's worse than downtown Los Angeles, worse than south-central, worse than Compton.

NYC has no stats, either.  NYC is available on another mapping site but it's in another format which I find less informative.

I am sure many would think this site is racist, especially if they don't like what it tells them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top