Quoted:
No I don't care what you believe or don't believe
I just asked a question

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is this the thread where you think that you can change someone's beliefs concerning the existence of a higher intelligence?

Because you have a fresh new argument that's neva been dun befo?
No I don't care what you believe or don't believe
I just asked a question

I would honestly like to know OP......why do you want to know the answer to this question?

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 12:55:10 PM EDT
[#2]
When writing an upper division paper in college, you are going to be tasked with supplying a number of sources.

This is not because the professor wants you to copy other people's work. It's because "you don't know what you don't know."

Why waste your time going into a subject blind, and trying to come up with your own idea, without first studying from some past masters? If I decided to build a house by myself, the first thing I would do would be to hit the internet for some ideas, plans, & etc. That would be deemed a wise decision by just about everyone.

So why does this change for religious topics? Why throw out questions in GD instead of googling up some quick info? Do you want to learn or stir the pot?

If you want to learn, the word that you are looking for is Theodicy.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 12:56:16 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I dunno. When I meet him, I'll ask him.

View Quote
Fpni.

More directly, yes.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 12:59:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Non- believers think to much about all the "what's and hows" .. just accept and believe, otherwise you'll think yourself into hell.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 12:59:34 PM EDT
[#5]
For the time being......He allows it in His Kingdom to demonstrate his goodness, grace, and perfect judgement.

All things exist for His glory.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 1:06:36 PM EDT
[#6]
God had CNC machines before there were CNC machines.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 1:07:28 PM EDT
[#7]
"And God made PC Beach, didn't he?"
"He sure did."
"God is gooder than hell!"
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 1:09:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Evil is a choice, and the definition of evil was defined by God.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 1:16:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
“God created things which had free will. That means creatures which can go wrong or right. Some people think they can imagine a creature which was free but had no possibility of going wrong, but I can't. If a thing is free to be good it's also free to be bad. And free will is what has made evil possible.

Why, then, did God give them free will? Because free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. A world of automata -of creatures that worked like machines- would hardly be worth creating. The happiness which God designs for His higher creatures is the happiness of being freely, voluntarily united to Him and to each other in an ecstasy of love and delight compared with which the most rapturous love between a man and a woman on this earth is mere milk and water.

And for that they've got to be free.

Of course God knew what would happen if they used their freedom the wrong way: apparently, He thought it worth the risk. (...)

If God thinks this state of war in the universe a price worth paying for free will -that is, for making a real world in which creatures can do real good or harm and something of real importance can happen, instead of a toy world which only moves when He pulls the strings- then we may take it it is worth paying.”

-Clive Staples Lewis
View Quote

Not sure I've aver read that, but I love the way he presents it.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 1:18:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
God made and IS everything.  Everything evolved life.  Life evolved on earth.  Other life came to earth and created humans from the life that existed here.  Humans out of their own free will do "evil" things.
View Quote

Yet evil is a created substance, just as the Bible states that faith is a created substance also.
Again, no one can be drawn to accept God, unless the Spirit of God calls him to be of service to our King.
First.
Jesus Christ is the standard.
So then, when you say that you do not believe, it isn't as the Scriptures do not detail this.
They most certainly do.
However, the Bible still states that the ones who continually practice lawlessness before God will die a spiritual and eternal death combined.
This is how the law reads.
The law may not be changed.
We are all equally as guilty under the law.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 1:30:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
God created the religion subforum ... specifically for people to post questions like this in.  
View Quote

We know.
Have you looked over there?
If you have, then what did you find?
Was there anything that interested you in there?
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 1:35:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 1:35:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I was not assigning blame.
Nothing would be if God did not create it.
IE:
God created good & evil

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
God created man and gave man free will.

Free will to be evil if one so chooses.

Don't blame God, blame man.
I was not assigning blame.
Nothing would be if God did not create it.
IE:
God created good & evil

No.

It's already been covered but you're not listening. Evil isn't a "thing" that needed to be created. Evil is something that happens when man strays from God, and we were given the free will do so if we choose.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 1:36:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I believe God created the "start" of everything.

Ever since he has been sitting back with the popcorn and beer to see where things end up.
View Quote

Correct.    
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 1:39:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If you believe in God answer this:
Did God made everything?

As I was told in church and Sunday school while growing up, God made everything.
Yes or No

Now edited to reflect the real question I wanted to get answered:

Well if God created everything , did he create evil?

View Quote

2015 and people still dont get it.
Pick one:
God create a world where you have no choice and you will worship no matter what.
God creates a world where you have the option to love him.

1. Forced love isnt love, if you have to make someone say "I love you" then they probably dont.
2. Yeah not everyone will love you but the ones who do authentically do.

He chose option 2, and with option 2 you have a world where people can choose the wrong choices including evil.

Lets break it down further, if you are a parent and you make your kid say "I love you" its doesnt feel nearly the same as the 1st time they say it on thier own meaning it.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 1:46:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Yet evil existed before the physical man existed..
It was metaphorically designated to be a tree.
Adam did not plant this tree.
Adam only knew what he was told.
And this would be the rest of us also.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 1:52:04 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
God spoke the universe into existence.  It included all things, including the ability for evil to be done.

Isaiah 45:7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Did God made everything?

God spoke the universe into existence.  It included all things, including the ability for evil to be done.

Isaiah 45:7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things.

For the win.  Much better than my answer.

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 1:52:29 PM EDT
[#18]
I struggled with this question in college. God made everything. Lucifer had free will and chose to covet the throne of the Almighty. He took a third of the angels with him. That's the genesis of evil, the temptation to willfully violate the law of God.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 1:56:18 PM EDT
[#19]
There was open warfare in heaven for a brief interval..
Someone was dispatched to earth from heaven as a bolt of lightning as one of the results.
I don't believe that God ever created anything which would have the power to overturn His rule.
This would not be Scriptural anyway saying that He did.
This is a process and plan of God with no deviations on to completion.
God has no rival.
Satan Lucifer had his chance at overthrow.
He is not in control of this earth as many have been led to believe.
If he was, we would have all been dead as of last week in great big bleeding batches.
He is more or less, a curb-side trash man only.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 2:01:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Good and evil are morally relativistic constructs, and actions can be viewed differently by different people in regards to their own moral spectrum.

Human beings have free will. That is to say, we as individuals, and as societies, can chose how to act, either in self-interest or in collective interest, to promote or to punish, and opinions of good and evil regarding those actions can change over time. Remember, there was a time that the Trail of Tears and Wounded Knee were not so frowned upon, "separate but equal" was acceptable policy, and we didn't think twice about interring people against their will due to heritage. Nowadays, such actions would be repulsive.

<-Catholic who is scientifically inclined.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 2:14:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Yes
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 2:22:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Did I mention that the boy must be highly upset by now?
Miscarried son of a cur dog.
God will recompense the wicked.
God has put Satan under the delusion to believe the lie that he will ultimately win if he fights hard enough.
This is Scriptural.
Satan is however, not even in the running for anything except a tormented eternal death without a grave, or a memorial, which he will not get.
This through sin, will capture many others also..
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 2:50:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Where do I start?

Whether you or I believe in God or not does not determine if God exists.

We have 2 choices: 1- We can believe there is a God or 2- we can believe there is no God.
Those who believe do so freely
Those who do not believe do so freely

For me I choose to believe In God and His Son Jesus.

I believe in him because I know he changed my life and I am a better person than before I believed. I did say better, I did not say perfect. I know he exists because he exists in me because I am a changed person.

Some (not all) who do not believe will ridicule those who do believe. It has been this way for centuries and will continue to the end of days.

...and no, I do not claim to know all the answers to all the questions. I only claim to know the One who does and one day He will answer all of our questions....

So choose this day who you will follow it is the most important decision each individual will make in his or her life...........

But now to your question: " Did God create evil"?

God is pure and there is no evil in him so He can not create evil. To think otherwise is 'stinking  thinking'  in one form or another.

Edited to correct my answer. I stand corrected by a previous poster: Isaiah 45:7 would be the correct answer per the bible.

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 2:54:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Evil is not something that is created, it is the absence of God's love.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 2:55:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Did God made everything?

As I was told in church and Sunday school while growing up, God made everything.
Yes or No

View Quote

no.

evil comes from free will. God created that, not what you do with it.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 2:55:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

We know.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
God created the religion subforum ... specifically for people to post questions like this in.  

We know.

I rarely look at it, because I'm not a religious person. I suggest it because I browse GD enough to see the sort of shit-storms that come from religious discussions. Some remain civil, but they are exceptions.

From what I recall, the discussions in the religion subforum are generally more civil and tend to stay on-topic more often.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:07:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

It is the absence of not adhering to God's law.
Jesus said, "If you love Me, you will obey My commands."
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:12:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Where do I start?

Whether you or I believe in God or not does not determine if God exists.

We have 2 choices: 1- We can believe there is a God or 2- we can believe there is no God.
Those who believe do so freely
Those who do not believe do so freely

For me I choose to believe In God and His Son Jesus.

I believe in him because I know he changed my life and I am a better person than before I believed. I did say better, I did not say perfect. I know he exists because he exists in me because I am a changed person.

Some (not all) who do not believe will ridicule those who do believe. It has been this way for centuries and will continue to the end of days.

...and no, I do not claim to know all the answers to all the questions. I only claim to know the One who does and one day He will answer all of our questions....

So choose this day who you will follow it is the most important decision each individual will make in his or her life...........

But now to your question: " Did God create evil"?

God is pure and there is no evil in him so He can not create evil. To think otherwise is 'stinking  thinking'  in one form or another.

Edited to correct my answer. I stand corrected by a previous poster: Isaiah 45:7 would be the correct answer per the bible.

View Quote

Why don't you list it then?
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:13:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Evil is a rejection of reality, which is created by God, and when a being has free will, they always tend to form their own reality.  God does not create evil - it is basically like a shadow.  It is the absence of God.

When we decide to reject the light and put ourselves into shadows, God respects our free will and does not impose His light on us.  Though shining His light at us would be good for us, we would not have true free will if God were to do that against our will.  He is there to shine light when we ask for it.
View Quote

Light not guaranteed upon request.

YMMV

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:17:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Evil started in heaven when Lucifer (satan) wanted to be God.  Since sin cannot be in heaven he and his cohorts were kicked out. The book Job talks about Satan walking to and fro on the earth. Also, indicates that people from other worlds were there for a meeting of some sort. He, in the form of a snake is the one who got Eve and Adam to sin first.

I heard preachers who think there are other worlds like ours where the people have not sinned. God is allowing the entire universe to see that he is fair and the war between good (God) and evil (Satan) is being played out in front of every heavenly being including the good angels still there.   Satan's plan vs God's plan.  So far, the earth with Satan running around is going to hell in a hand basket. If God had just killed them from the get go, the rest of the witnesses in the universe might have always wondered if Lucifers way was better. God is letting all this happen to show us the difference.  ymmv
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:17:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

no.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Did God made everything?

Yes or No

no.

God must be responsible concerning every aspect of the creation.
Otherwise, He is not God.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:19:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

YMMV

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Evil is a rejection of reality, which is created by God, and when a being has free will, they always tend to form their own reality.  God does not create evil - it is basically like a shadow.  It is the absence of God.

When we decide to reject the light and put ourselves into shadows, God respects our free will and does not impose His light on us.  Though shining His light at us would be good for us, we would not have true free will if God were to do that against our will.  He is there to shine light when we ask for it.

YMMV

What up Hit!!
I was just about to call yer mom and check on you!
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:20:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Evil started in heaven when Lucifer (satan) wanted to be God.  Since sin cannot be in heaven he and his cohorts were kicked out. The book Job talks about Satan walking to and fro on the earth. Also, indicates that people from other worlds were there for a meeting of some sort. He, in the form of a snake is the one who got Eve and Adam to sin first.

I heard preachers who think there are other worlds like ours where the people have not sinned. God is allowing the entire universe to see that he is fair and the war between good (God) and evil (Satan) is being played out in front of every heavenly being including the good angels still there.   Satan's plan vs God's plan.  So far, the earth with Satan running around is going to hell in a hand basket. If God had just killed them from the get go, the rest of the witnesses in the universe might have always wondered if Lucifers way was better. God is letting all this happen to show us the difference.  ymmv
View Quote

Why did God punish all snakes if Lucifer was the one possessing said snake (or just appearing in the form of one)?
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:24:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Why did God punish all snakes if Lucifer was the one possessing said snake (or just appearing in the form of one)?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its a metaphoric prophetic designation or distinction about the Devil and his demons and Joel O'steen I believe.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:27:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's the absence of good, generally speaking, and it applies to beings of nature, not just beings that have free will.  It is the result of the imperfections of various beings in the created universe, to include the imperfections in man.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:31:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Did God made everything?

Yes or No

View Quote

No he did not create evil as posed by your question.  A better way of looking at evil is not that it is a power on the level of God's only opposite, but that evil is the absence of God.  Just like the vacuum of space is not a substance but the absence of matter.  St. Augustine wrote about this and his should be an interesting read.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:35:10 PM EDT
[#37]
This however, is not Scriptural according to its content.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:35:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Did God made everything?

Yes or No

View Quote

You basically have 2 choices:
a) god does not exist and the question is moot
b) god exists and created evil
There is not a third choice.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:38:54 PM EDT
[#39]
If g-d created everything, the s/he-it created evil.

Is "evil" contained within the set of "everything?"

Yes?

Okay then. The statement is sound.

You know a basic course in critical thinking/logic would really help you answer such questions.

Hey what do you think of the Cartesian ontological argument for g-d?
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:41:30 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

I don't care. He's God. He can do whatever he wants. He could even not made everything if he didn't not want to could.
View Quote
Might makes right huh?

The strongest toughest guy can do whatever he wants, and its moral, because no one can stop him.

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:43:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Yes?

You know a basic course in critical thinking/logic would really help you answer such questions.

View Quote

You linky?
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:43:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Yes?

View Quote

G-d didn't create anything.  

God, on the other hand, created the universe, but He did not create evil.  Evil does not exist in and of itself.  You can't create nothingness.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:43:50 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View Quote
God characters of many religions, including christianity, are evil if you simply look at their actions.

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:45:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Non- believers think to much about all the "what's and hows" .. just accept and believe, otherwise you'll think yourself into hell.
View Quote

That's an interesting concept, if God gave it man's will to do things ONE of the most primordial instincts of "man" is to be curious. Look around youself and see how "Man" has searched and found the "what's and hows" to build,  to invent, to discover things everyday. This is one of the inherent problems with followers of religion, man is supposed to use his free will and utilize his brain and abilities which include the desire to question and figure out things.............................except when it comes to the unanswered questions, or the unknown possibilities presented in the Bible.

This is what's wrong with believers, the absence of being rational and ignoring simple logic when it comes to faith. If this is your position and how you answer things regarding things every human has and it works for you, that's great, I sincerely mean that. But just know the way you  use fuzzy logic to defend your position and mock non-believers, this non-believer uses rational thought and my curiosity as it applies to those "what's and hows" and let's just say having my head out of the sand has enabled me to see lots of things, and I seriously feel sorry for you and the rest of the oblivious believers.

My point is, it easily works both ways. I'm a former believer, and been a non-believer for 30+yrs. I'm NOT suggesting I know anything, or have any kind of insight, but just know believers can and do look just as ridiculous as you see non-believers.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:46:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Did God made everything?

Yes or No

You underestimate their ability to rationalize.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:47:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
God characters of many religions, including christianity, are evil if you simply look at their actions.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If God is the Creator of the ordered universe, then he is the Creator of all of the laws which govern it, to include those of morality.  Thusly, all that God wills is good.  That a lower being does not like an act does not make what God does evil.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:48:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Did God made everything?

Yes or No

View Quote

Some theologians say yes, God did create evil.

According to this school of thought, evil was necessary in order to have free will.  If only good existed, and we could only do good, we really would not have any free will.  According to this line of reasoning, God created the best universe possible.  In this scheme,  free will is more highly valued than the absence of evil.

This is of course all contingent on one's belief in God.

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:49:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Might makes right huh?

The strongest toughest guy can do whatever he wants, and its moral, because no one can stop him.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't care. He's God. He can do whatever he wants. He could even not made everything if he didn't not want to could.
Might makes right huh?

That's what some of our own leadership is proposing at this time correct?
So where they taught to do this on their own and us too, or has it been ingrained by an supernatural power higher than out own, in one which we cannot deny?
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:50:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And this would go for all other people also.
You don't seem to slant your rhetoric very well..
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:53:00 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

There are billions of people on earth who are less evil than god characters.

Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top