Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:38:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Have a love/hate relationship with it. It's cost versus net gain is relatively small but then again, considering it being a pistol caliber and size restrictions, any gains are hard earned.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:39:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Nothing really wrong with it, but it does nothing other calibers won't do as well and cheaper.

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=7297

View Quote

Large wound channel and bullet expansion look pretty good with the .357 SIG, but overall they appear to be relatively similar to each other.

ETA: Missed comment at top of pic...duh.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:43:08 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
40% faster?

I'd say at least 20% faster, maybe it depends on the manufacturer.

Oddly, Identical projectiles by Hornady (135gr critical duty) show a mere 20% difference in muzzle velocity, but a 50% difference in muzzle energy.

I thought it was a linear relationship between velocity, mass, and energy...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

9 mm performance, .40 magazine capacity. What's not to like?

.357sig is ~40% faster than 9mm.

Capacity is a non-starter for me. I carry 15+1, plus a spare mag.

40% faster?

Oddly, Identical projectiles by Hornady (135gr critical duty) show a mere 20% difference in muzzle velocity, but a 50% difference in muzzle energy.

Kinetic energy is equal to 1/2*mass*velocity^2

Velocity is squared, hence a small change in velocity is a large change in kinetic energy.

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:44:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

40% faster?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
9 mm performance, .40 magazine capacity. What's not to like?

.357sig is ~40% faster than 9mm.

Capacity is a non-starter for me. I carry 15+1, plus a spare mag.

40% faster?

Mine chronographed at 1,450 fps out of my Glock 31. The JHPs I had in my HiPower showed 1090 fps. Both were 125gr.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:46:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Have there been any other bottle-necked pistol rounds that Americans like?  The .30 Mauser and the .30 Tok were more curiosities than anything else IMHO.
View Quote

30 tokarev is a curiosity? And all this time I thought it was one of the most common pistol and SMG rounds in existence. Just because it wasn't a U.S. Thing doesn't mean it wasn't popular.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:49:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I have the worst of both worlds, a Glock 23 and a .357 Sig barrel for it.

I was giving away a bunch of old ammo at the gun clubs end of the meeting ticket raffle.

I gave them a couple boxes of 8mm, some .30 carbine ammo, some GP11 and some .357 SIG.

The fuds had no idea what was going on.

Guys kept picking up the .357 Sig thinking it was for a .357 and picking up the .30 ammo thinking it was for a 30-30.  

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:54:14 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Interesting. The wound channel is twice as large as 9mm.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Nothing really wrong with it, but it does nothing other calibers won't do as well and cheaper.

Interesting. The wound channel is twice as large as 9mm.

What you are seeing is mostly the temporary cavity...

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:58:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You must be confusing it with something like 10mm.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just last week at the range I saw someone shooting one, first time I have ever seen that. It seems like a good round with a flat trajectory, why hasn't it become more mainstream?

I didn't read all the derp but the fact is that .357 sig with 125 grain bullet is 150 fps faster than 9mm 124 +P at 3 times the cost. Derp.

Balistics shamlistics.

Go run a few mags,  its the most fun you can get out of a semi auto pistol

Frealz!

Na, I like women
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:10:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I LOVED my .357sig. round was a hard hitter at pistol ranges. and reliable as hell with the case.

Ammo was just too expensive. Comparable with a 45 in price so i sold it and went with a 45. easier to find ammo
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:15:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Because for anyone who wants good power in an autoloader cartridge that you have to reload or be rich to shoot, there is 10mm.
And .357Sig is bottleneck, which complicates reloading.

Tangentially, some states have stupid rules about no bottleneck cartridges being legal for handgun hunting (to ban T/C rifle handguns), but 10mm is acceptable.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:18:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Na, I like women
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just last week at the range I saw someone shooting one, first time I have ever seen that. It seems like a good round with a flat trajectory, why hasn't it become more mainstream?

I didn't read all the derp but the fact is that .357 sig with 125 grain bullet is 150 fps faster than 9mm 124 +P at 3 times the cost. Derp.

Balistics shamlistics.

Go run a few mags,  its the most fun you can get out of a semi auto pistol

Frealz!

Na, I like women

So do I, and I've got a G29 that has 40 Short and Weak and 357 Sig barrels.  Nothing compares to the boom of a hot 10mm.  
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:38:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Idk but it seems as though the wound cavity is larger and pronounced in the 357 sig.

And of course this is data from a long time ago, I wonder if they can start using a new picture instead of this old one
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:39:03 PM EDT
[#13]
45 GAP
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:46:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Most folks don't consider trajectory in a handgun.  

I think people associate straight cases with reliability in handguns.  Maybe that's it.
View Quote

The bottlenecked round actually is more reliable than a straight wall case.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:49:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Idk but it seems as though the wound cavity is larger and pronounced in the 357 sig.

And of course this is data from a long time ago, I wonder if they can start using a new picture instead of this old one
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Always looked like a Rorschach image to me.  If you like .357 sig you see a great temp wound cavity.  If you don't like .357 sig they all pretty much look alike.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:58:58 PM EDT
[#16]
It is sort of a chicken and egg scenario for me.

If cases were readily available and inexpensive, I would be all over this round.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 12:03:58 AM EDT
[#17]
I've got a .357SIG barrel for my Glock 20.  Can't find any plinking ammo locally.  On the verge of buying some online because I really want to try the caliber.

I was hiking in bear country 2 years ago, stopped dead in my tracks and said "Why am I carrying a 9mm when I could be carrying a .40SW or .357SIG in the same amount of space?"
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 12:10:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

30 tokarev is a curiosity? And all this time I thought it was one of the most common pistol and SMG rounds in existence. Just because it wasn't a U.S. Thing doesn't mean it wasn't popular.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Have there been any other bottle-necked pistol rounds that Americans like?  The .30 Mauser and the .30 Tok were more curiosities than anything else IMHO.

Strictly referring to Americans,
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 12:26:19 AM EDT
[#19]
I have a Glock 32 that is my woods carry. My Dad seemed impressed with the round so he got a Glock 33 to carry. As far as ammo goes, I've got threaded barrels for it in 357 SIG, 40 S&W, and 9mm to run through an Osprey 45. Also a .22 conversion slide. The best of both worlds really.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 12:29:44 AM EDT
[#20]
I love the round for my carry piece.  Glock 33 or 32 rocks.  I can practice my G19 most of the time and carry my G32.   A fast +p 9 mm is still not as fast as the 357 sig.  Ammo cost is higher but I don't mind spending a little more to carry a round that is superior to the 9mm in my opinion.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 12:34:31 AM EDT
[#21]
I didn't like the excessive muzzle flash. It just seemed ridiculous.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 12:53:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
My Action Works custom Hi-Power has .40 and .357 SIG barrels

<a href="http://s802.photobucket.com/user/ndandosu/media/Hipower/BHP1_zps30702992.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy303/ndandosu/Hipower/BHP1_zps30702992.jpg</a>

It shoots like a frickin' laser.
View Quote

My piggy bank now hates you.  I just shook the hell out of it trying to come up with the coin for one of those, but only a couple of nickels and some lint fell out.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 1:38:52 AM EDT
[#23]
I had a barrel for my G22. Now I run 357 sig out of a G30 using a barrel for the G29 in it. Works fine and is accurate. I reload and cast my own bullets so it is cheaper for me to shoot than 45 ACP because the sig boolits I load weigh 125 grains vs 200 grains for the 45ACP. Really it is about recycling all of that 40 brass I pick up at the range. I load it under a bit, and toss it after use, but there is plenty of 40 brass to be had to convert.  I wont own another 40 in my lifetime, and for pump and dump ammo this is a great solution for me.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 2:06:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

For civilian use its quite finicky to reload (compared to straight walled cases) so its not popular.

View Quote

I played with .400 Cor-Bon a few years ago. If it's as much of a headache to load as that was, I'm glad I never bought one. Both rounds are promising on paper though.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 2:12:39 AM EDT
[#25]
I prefer 9x25 Dillon.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 2:15:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Tangentially, some states have stupid rules about no bottleneck cartridges being legal for handgun hunting (to ban T/C rifle handguns), but 10mm is acceptable.
View Quote

Yep-although they allow T/C in .444 Marlin and .45-70. I'll never understand how IA DNR makes their decisions, but my last deer was with my 12" .45-70.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 2:28:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I do love the "sample size of one" chart...

So statistically significant.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do love the "sample size of one" chart...

So statistically significant.

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 2:30:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Boutique caliber.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 2:40:52 AM EDT
[#29]
I've owned a lot of pistols in my day, but I've never been interested in .357 SIG.

The reasons have already been covered.

1) Difficult to reload, and I won't buy factory ammo
2) Lower mag capacity than 9mm
3) Pointless for shooting competitions
4) Offers terminal ballistics that are superior pretty much only on paper
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 2:49:27 AM EDT
[#30]
If you just think about it, it seems to make sense, a FASTER 9mm, right?

Just doesn't really do much for you, modern ammo and all.

At least, this is what I have been led to believe. Haven't really researched it. Honestly, I am just posting to test my new sig and avatar.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 2:52:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I'd like to see the PS90 in other calibers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Because they never made a carbine chambered for it

In a few years you will be lucky to find PS90s chambered in anything.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:01:48 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:01:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Was always claimed to equal 357 magnum performance, but when they compared it to 357 magnum they always cherry-picked the 357 magnum ammo, going for the stuff purposely stepped down in power.   Even in the weights offered in 357 sig, regular 357 magnum full house loads were a step above, to say nothing of what a handloader could do, nor what was available with heavier bullets for the 357 magnum vs the 357 sig.

Also, had issues with ammo being available

Also, a higher performance 9mm projectile out of a pistol makes sense, but should have been made a non-bottleneck for greater capacity in a magazine, an 'improved 38 super' if you will, something like the 9x23 Winchester.  Heck, just rename 9x19mm 'Major'  (9x19mm pushed past +P levels to achieve 'major' ratings for some of the shooting sports)

thing is, getting straight wall cased higher velocity 9mm cartridge either by going with a slightly longer cartridge or a hotter standard length cartridge would mean gunmakers couldn't just swap barrels to make an alternate version.  Something built for 9x19 luger would need a fully supported chamber to handle super-hot 9x19  (also cartridge would probably need some design feature like possibly a tiny bit more diameter at case base to prevent it's accidental use in 9x19 luger) or for a 9x23 Winchester type load, you need a longer mag and different mag-well.

The reason the 40SW was able to take off is how easy manufacturers could offer the 9x19 guns they already had in this new chambering.  This attempt to have size uniformity just a different size hole at the end is what stuck us with the bottleneck case of the 357 sig, and what the thought process behind the 45 GAP.

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:04:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Glock should have done the opposite of the 45 GAP.  Should have created the the 9 GAP, a longer hotter 9 and offered it in their Glock20/21 sized gun.  (This might have led to more Glock-nades though...)
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:31:40 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Because they never made a carbine chambered for it

Me too. I think I'm about to sell mine.

Think about a PS90 SBR in 10mm....

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:51:22 AM EDT
[#36]
Why not 9x25 dillion?
9mm projectile with a 10mm capacity case.
The .357 sig is based on the .40 s&w case which is just a cut down 10mm.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 10:18:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Biggest problem with 7.62x25 Tokarev in the US, is the very limited options to shoot it with.

the TT pistol
the CZ52 pistol
custom AR15 uppers
1911 conversion barrels

If you have a set of dies for it, it's an interesting round to play with.

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 10:25:27 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Expensive ammo.

I reload for it so I love to shoot it.
View Quote

This!

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 10:26:29 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Yep-although they allow T/C in .444 Marlin and .45-70. I'll never understand how IA DNR makes their decisions, but my last deer was with my 12" .45-70.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For a few years, Tennessee Wildlife Resources decided it was legal to hunt deer with a handgun chambered for .25acp, but illegal to hunt deer with a handgun chambered for .223Rem (based the reg solely on bullet diameter, and they stuck to the claim that .223 was too weak for deer, but .243Win was enough).  This was after they finally discovered that there were handguns being made in rifles calibers.

Just accept that the people writing the hunting regs don't know much more than "you pull the trigger and the gun goes BANG".
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 11:32:17 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Most folks don't consider trajectory in a handgun.  

I think people associate straight cases with reliability in handguns.  Maybe that's it.
View Quote

Right here.  Hell, I shoot a .45 with 185gr SWC's at 750 fps at 50 yards.  Trajectory is a non-issue.

Besides... .357 doesn't do anything 9mm/.40/.45 won't do at greater cost, muzzle blast, recoil and bullshit.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 11:50:13 AM EDT
[#41]
Why does everyone say that .357 Sig is difficult to reload?  Currently, I only reload rifle cartridges, which are all bottle neck, and it's easy as pie.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 11:51:48 AM EDT
[#42]
It didn't do anything the 38 super wouldn't do and it didn't catch on either.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 2:25:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Also, a higher performance 9mm projectile out of a pistol makes sense, but should have been made a non-bottleneck for greater capacity in a magazine, an 'improved 38 super' if you will, something like the 9x23 Winchester.
View Quote

All of the downsides of 357SIG are addressed with 9x23Win, other than the cost, but that point can be used against anything that isn't 9x19mm. Heck, many people do what 9x23Win does in fully supported 38Super barrels.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 2:36:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Why didn't the Sig become popular? Hmmm....

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 2:46:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Too expensive. It has about the same recoil as the 40, but the $.40-.50/rnd is a deal breaker.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:18:01 PM EDT
[#46]
My P229 came with a .357 sig barrel. It was a lot of fun to shoot but the ammo was pricy so I sold the barrel.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top