Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Agreed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Everlong may be one of the finest rock songs ever crafted.

Agreed.
Agreed.

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 8:39:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Bless your heart.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Kids

Sad this type of music is viewed as "rock" these days.  It's pop infused with just enough rock to get playtime on both pop and rock radio stations.  Zero originality.  It's nothing more than cookie-cutter "please play my song on the radio" music.

Bless your heart.

he is in MN, he won't know what that means.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 8:55:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Dave Grohl on the subject of American idol:

“It’s destroying the next generation of musicians! Musicians should go to a yard sale and buy an old f****** drum set and get in their garage and just suck. And get their friends to come in and they’ll suck, too. And then they’ll f******* start playing and they’ll have the best time they’ve ever had in their lives and then all of a sudden they’ll become Nirvana. Because that’s exactly what happened with Nirvana. Just a bunch of guys that had some s***** old instruments and they got together and started playing some noisy-a** s***, and they became the biggest band in the world. That can happen again! You don’t need a f****** computer or the Internet or The Voice or American Idol .”

He Nailed It. Part of the reason rock is dead. Rock is so fucking dead the old rock stars show up at the country music awards because there is nowhere else for them to go.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 8:59:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
listening to live at Irving plaza NYC on siriusxm right now.

View Quote

Heard that earlier. Acoustic version of Big Me was great.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 9:01:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Kids

Sad this type of music is viewed as "rock" these days.  It's pop infused with just enough rock to get playtime on both pop and rock radio stations.  Zero originality.  It's nothing more than cookie-cutter "please play my song on the radio" music.

View Quote

Dutchbags

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 9:09:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I respect and like each member of FF and loved their early stuff. That said I think their music isn't nearly what it was 10 years ago. Billy Corgin in an interview with Howard Stern nailed it. They just haven't evolved in to creating hits or music that sounds different and creates a new appeal.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 9:15:56 PM EDT
[#7]
I certainly can't think of any other rock band in the last 20 years that I could put in front of the Foo Fighters. They are good musicians, they make good songs, people respect them and they have longevity. Best mainstream rock band of the past 20 years? I'd have to say yes. Who else out there during the same period could be rated better? The Foo Fighters are actually one of the very few bright spots in recent rock music history. For the most part, the past 20 years have been the WORST years in rock music history.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 9:17:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Kids

View Quote

so you're mad that they're not AC/DC or Guns N Roses?
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 9:18:29 PM EDT
[#9]
FF is a great band.....love their music.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 9:18:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 9:19:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

"The best thing Kurt ever released was the safety" is the stale joke. We're just talking about the genesis of FF.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The best thing Kurt Cobain ever did was off himself.

At this point is that still funny to you? It's really just stale and out of place.

"The best thing Kurt ever released was the safety" is the stale joke. We're just talking about the genesis of FF.

Ha!

Agreed.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 9:26:44 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Kids

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 9:26:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Fresh pots

I think "The Colour and the Shape" and "There is Nothing Left to Lose" are two of the best rock albums ever made. I'm less of a fan of anything after that, it seems like Dave doesn't know how to properly finish a song anymore.. it just devolves into a lot of hoarse screaming, then end scene.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Very nice guys to work with.  Hard core when they play.

Giants

This. Funny, genuine. Oh and "HOT POTS!!!"

Fresh pots

I think "The Colour and the Shape" and "There is Nothing Left to Lose" are two of the best rock albums ever made. I'm less of a fan of anything after that, it seems like Dave doesn't know how to properly finish a song anymore.. it just devolves into a lot of hoarse screaming, then end scene.

Shit, you're right! Its been a few years, lol!
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 9:30:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

At this point is that still funny to you? It's really just stale and out of place.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I still get a chuckle. Sorry.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 9:34:22 PM EDT
[#15]
I like the Foo Fighters - solid albums, great song writing - good dudes all around.

However, best mainstream in the last 20 years? They're great, but not THAT great.

Radiohead is better. IMO.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 9:41:53 PM EDT
[#16]
I have yet to hear the Foo Fighters song I didn't like.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 9:58:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Great band!

I do think they peaked in the late 90's early 2000's.

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:13:03 PM EDT
[#18]

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:40:21 PM EDT
[#19]
I can't agree.

Dave Grohl simply can't sing.   He starts out trying to sing, but by about the third verse, it's devolved into harsh screaming ("IN TIMES LIKE THESE WE LEARN TO LIVE AGAIN!!!!!!!    AAAARRRRRRRGGHHHHH!!!!!).    I can't listen to it.

The songwriting?    No memorable songs here.

Guitar playing is stereotyped, guitar tones are generic.

They are a B-minus grade bar band at best.

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:43:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I can't agree.

Dave Grohl simply can't sing.   He starts out trying to sing, but by about the third verse, it's devolved into harsh screaming ("IN TIMES LIKE THESE WE LEARN TO LIVE AGAIN!!!!!!!    AAAARRRRRRRGGHHHHH!!!!!).    I can't listen to it.

View Quote

"B-minus grade bar band at best"

lol
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:56:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I like the Foo Fighters - solid albums, great song writing - good dudes all around.

However, best mainstream in the last 20 years? They're great, but not THAT great.

Radiohead is better. IMO.
View Quote

Radiohead is excellent, but I think since Kid A, they haven't really been "mainstream."
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:59:59 PM EDT
[#22]
They are a consistently good band that regularly produces consistently good music. I have lots of respect for them and still enjoy their work.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:01:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Hit-or-miss (but mostly miss) for me.  The songs I like, I really like.  The songs I don't, I really don't.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:03:24 PM EDT
[#24]
I concur.  

Unfortunately I havnt been lucky enough to see them live but I love their music. Dave Grohl is by all accounts one of the most talented musicians there is.  Drummer in one of the most influential bands of "our time" and now lead singer / guitar player of one of the most famous bands of "our time".

Green Day is up there as well, FANTASTIC live shows.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:04:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I have yet to hear the Foo Fighters song I didn't like.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:07:27 PM EDT
[#26]
One of those bands that I just never got into. Don't know why, just never did.

In all honesty, I couldn't tell you the name of even one of their songs.

(I'm sure I'd recognize a few if you played them for me, but that's about it.)
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:10:41 PM EDT
[#27]
One of my favorite bands.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:11:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I'm sick and fucking tired of Dave Grohl yelling at me. He's a SHITTY vocalist at best. All he has to do is do exactly what he did for Everlong, because that's the best song he's ever done, and it is certainly a a good one.
View Quote

THE BEST, THE BEST,THE BEST,THE BEST,THE BEST,THE BEST,THE BEST,THE BEST,THE BEST,THE BEST,THE BEST,THE BEST,THE BEST,THE BEST,THE BEST,THE BEST,THE BEST,THE BEST,THE BEST,THE BEST,THE BEST,THE BEST,THE BEST,THE BEST,THE BEST,THE BEST,THE BEST,THE BEST,THE BEST,THE BEST,THE BEST,THE BEST,THE BEST,THE BEST,THE BEST,THE BEST,THE BEST,THE BEST,THE BEST!

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:11:44 PM EDT
[#29]
I feel like I could run a 4 minute mile whenever Pretender comes up om my mp3 player when running.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:40:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
greenday just made it in the hall of fame
View Quote

I get the feeling that almost any group still around after 20 years gets in automatically
I went there back in November. Lot's of groups in the hall of fame that in my opinion didn't do anything noteworthy. It really does just seem to be a "if people have heard of you at all 20 years later you get in" type of thing
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:43:52 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

lol

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I can't agree.

lol

My dude. It's true. All you need to do is listen to Everlong and then never listen to another Foo song ever again. It's their absolute best song and will NEVER be topped. It's one of the best rock songs that I can think of. But outside of that one song, Grohl is a horrendous vocalist. I said it on the first page and I stand by my assessment.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:45:23 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
THE BEST, THE BEST,THE BEST,THE BEST,THE BEST,THE BEST,THE BEST,THE BEST,THE BEST,THE BEST,THE BEST,THE BEST,THE BEST,THE BEST,THE BEST,THE BEST,THE BEST,THE BEST,THE BEST,THE BEST,THE BEST,THE BEST,THE BEST,THE BEST,THE BEST,THE BEST,THE BEST,THE BEST,THE BEST,THE BEST,THE BEST,THE BEST,THE BEST,THE BEST,THE BEST,THE BEST,THE BEST,THE BEST,THE BEST!

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm sick and fucking tired of Dave Grohl yelling at me. He's a SHITTY vocalist at best. All he has to do is do exactly what he did for Everlong, because that's the best song he's ever done, and it is certainly a a good one.

Goddammit. I had The Who's "Magic Bus" in my head all day, which I was more than fine with. Until you typed that and I could hear Grohl grinding my brain away. Ugh, FUCK!
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:54:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

smirk
Good one, lol.
Haters, come into the light. Worship at the altar of Foo. ;)
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 12:01:39 AM EDT
[#34]
Yep, they're good. Also liked that movie/show "Sound City". Really cool.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 12:01:57 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not to mention, completely retarded.

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 12:24:43 AM EDT
[#36]
While I like their music and they seem like genuinely nice guys, I can't believe no one has brought up what a huge liberal tool Dave Grohl is.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 12:54:32 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
dunno if I'd say they're the best but they're in the conversation.
View Quote

I'm trying to come up with other bands that might be in the running for "Best Mainstream Rock Band, 1995-2015" but I'm not coming up with much.  

Anything that comes close has fizzled out or doesn't have the amount of work (or amount of enduring work) that Foo Fighters have.

Stone Temple Pilots, Audioslave, Incubus, Pearl Jam, Red Hot Chili Peppers... they all stopped making music, stopped making good music, or just made the same album 87 times.

U2 rivals Foo Fighters in terms of music, success, and mainstream appeal, but U2 has been around longer and is not quite as heavy as Foo Fighters are.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 12:56:22 AM EDT
[#38]
Pat Smear rules.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 1:03:15 AM EDT
[#39]
Not to mention he broke his ankle last month on set of a concert. The band played some stuff as they taped him back up and he finished the show.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 1:24:04 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I can't agree.

View Quote

OK.  What mainstream rock band over the past 20 or so years is better?
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 1:31:33 AM EDT
[#41]
At least the last 20 years if not farther back.

FF are my favorite.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:25:40 AM EDT
[#42]
going to their concert in august, can't wait.  I missed the last time they were in Pittsburgh because wife was very pregnant and didn't want to go.  Should've went without her.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:32:04 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can't agree.

The White Stripes.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:35:56 AM EDT
[#44]
The Sonic Highways documentary on HBO is pretty good as well.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:36:03 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

The White Stripes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can't agree.

The White Stripes.

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:41:00 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I can't agree.

View Quote

Grohl is from the time of the Rager - the tune that starts out slow or quiet and ends up fast and loud. You could say the same about "Lightning Crashes" too.

So, I maintain, Foo Fighters are not the greatest band ever, but are a very good band.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:45:18 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

The White Stripes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can't agree.

The White Stripes.

Okay, I love both bands, but when I'm done listening to a Foo Fighters album I am left thinking how good it was.

When I'm done listening to the White Stripes I'm left thinking "boy they could use a real drummer".
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:51:35 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
While I like their music and they seem like genuinely nice guys, I can't believe no one has brought up what a huge liberal tool Dave Grohl is.
View Quote

You beat me to it.  I like their music, but like most entertainers, they are huge libs.  IIRC,  they played at the DNC Convention in 2012.

***EDIT***  I just searched and they did play at the DNC.  
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:54:39 AM EDT
[#49]
They're fucking terrible.  I cannot stand one song they put out.  I can't pinpoint it, I think it is the shitty vocals or songwriting or generic guitar sounds but I have never liked one second of their songs.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 10:13:49 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Hahahaha.

I hate that song and because of that right there.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top