BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 4:34:54 PM EDT
[#1]
This applies to the USMC too.

So....a 4 year enlistment. With 10.6% of it being paid for doing nothing. And 25% of it not being able to be on full duty.

Wow.

I would not have a problem with this if they got 6 weeks "free" then for every day after that their contract was extended. Otherwise that's a lot of wasted training.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 4:38:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Setting the bar for the new Federal mandate to all employers.  That's fucking insane.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 4:39:26 PM EDT
[#3]
How much paternity leave?
Some of the faggots at work take months off when their wife is the one with the ripped up twat
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 4:40:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm torn.

My cousin is a Naval officer and was required to go back to work at 30 days.  A 1 month old baby is not old enough to be child care at most commercial day cares.  Plus I don't think they should anyway, that's too young.

My wife was able to take 3 months paid leave both times because she is smart and saved her earned leave up.  The .mil doesn't give that option.

But then again, part of the package when you commit to contract with an organization.  If you're a female and want kids then you need to make sure you understand the intricacies of what's required of you.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 4:42:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How much paternity leave? Some of the faggots at work take months off when their wife is the one with the ripped up twat
View Quote

What an elegant description.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 4:42:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
How much paternity leave? Some of the faggots at work take months off when their wife is the one with the ripped up twat
View Quote

I took 6 weeks.  It's my fucking vacation I'm using.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 4:47:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm torn.

My cousin is a Naval officer and was required to go back to work at 30 days.  A 1 month old baby is not old enough to be child care at most commercial day cares.  Plus I don't think they should anyway, that's too young.

My wife was able to take 3 months paid leave both times because she is smart and saved her earned leave up.  The .mil doesn't give that option.

But then again, part of the package when you commit to contract with an organization.  If you're a female and want kids then you need to make sure you understand the intricacies of what's required of you.
View Quote

I'm a Naval Officer in a field with many females, and several of them have had children. They were all given 6 weeks paid maternity leave, no personal leave included.  Not sure why your cousin only got 30 days, it's been the navy's policy to give 6 weeks for a while.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 4:50:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 5:01:06 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Vacation fine

Sick time.

Fuck,yourself you ain't sick

Unless the mom or baby is sick, go,to work.

Unless you have a job that doesn't matter much
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 5:06:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 5:07:15 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
What if the wife has a job that "matters more" than the husband's job? shouldn't she be able to go back to work after a couple of weeks while the husband has paternity leave to take care of the baby?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Vacation fine    Sick time.

What if the wife has a job that "matters more" than the husband's job? shouldn't she be able to go back to work after a couple of weeks while the husband has paternity leave to take care of the baby?
Yes

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 5:16:19 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This.  I can see taking some time to help the old lady out while she is recovering but 6 weeks?  Not unless she makes more than me and is working for 4 or 5 of them.

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 5:20:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Meh, better than welfare

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 5:22:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

So....a 4 year enlistment. With 10.6% of it being paid for doing nothing. And 25% of it not being able to be on full duty.

Wow.

I would not have a problem with this if they got 6 weeks "free" then for every day after that their contract was extended. Otherwise that's a lot of wasted training.
View Quote

That's actually a pretty solid idea.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 5:35:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You get 10 days free.

6 weeks straight?! I've never been in a command that would approve that.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 6:35:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This.  I can see taking some time to help the old lady out while she is recovering but 6 weeks?  Not unless she makes more than me and is working for 4 or 5 of them.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Paternity leave in the .mil is 10 days. Anything more than that and you're using your regularly accrued leave/vacation time.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 6:40:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

You get 10 days free.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You get 10 days free.

I live in the regular world now.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 6:40:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Meh, better than welfare

View Quote

How is it any different?  These twats get 4+ fucking months off every time they squeeze out a pup?  Awesome.  They also get no PT test for a year, light duty for months up to their delivery, and can't do their actual fucking job for one second of the time they are knocked up.  Well if they are exposed to chemicals, loud noise, electrical circuits, etc.  

Their male counterpart doesn't get a fucking year off from doing his job for knocking his girlfriend up.  

Oh, and 70% of pregnancies in the Navy are "unplanned".  Yeah, I bet they fucking are.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 6:41:45 PM EDT
[#19]
I am sure the guys and remaining gals in their workcenters appreciate picking up the load for twice as long.

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 6:58:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Are young ladies offered/encouraged/provided-for-free the implantable birth control during every interaction with the medical folks?
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:01:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Can I get a sex change, join the navy, and then get pregnant?

I'll start immediately by eating lean crap, soy, and egg without yolk.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:04:47 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View Quote
Zero for me.  Most commands allowed 2 weeks or so of leave to be used.  One of my commands had a policy where 2wks of leave was authorized...if it was your first child.  

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:06:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Wow.

View Quote

Not like it matters, any first term females who are the type to get knocked up are constantly on light duty and cant do shit anyway.
Honestly 90% of females in the military are fucking worthless.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:06:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:08:10 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I'm torn.

View Quote
I don't have sympathy for these folks.  You made a commitment to serve, not make babies.  It's absolutely horrible for a command when you lose critical NEC's right before a deployment.  

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:09:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I don't have sympathy for these folks.  You made a commitment to serve, not make babies.  It's absolutely horrible for a command when you lose critical NEC's right before a deployment.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm torn.

Convenient how often that shit happens.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:18:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I'm torn.

View Quote

Actually the Navy has always given six weeks, and DOD allows servicemembers to carry up to 60 days of leave over the fiscal year boundary, so with some planning one could conceivably save up about 80 or so days of leave on the books and could do exactly what you say the mil doesn't give as an option.

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:21:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm torn.

I really haven't seen that happen -- but I've said many times anyone who gets pregnant while attached to a deploying command should simply be immediately separated.  If you can't manage your personal life so you can do your job, it's time to go home.  

The numbers I've personally seen are very small, but those people don't belong in the Navy.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 9:24:11 PM EDT
[#29]
So...what does it cost for your average E-4 to sit on her ass at home for 4 1/2 months contributing nothing to the mission?.

About $15,000, ~$3300 per month (more for more senior people)

About 17% of the Navy is female, ~51,000
About 10% of the females at any one time are pregnant, ~5100

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 9:27:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
So...what does it cost for your average E-4 to sit on her ass at home for 4 1/2 months contributing nothing to the mission?.

About $15,000, ~$3300 per month (more for more senior people)

About 17% of the Navy is female, ~51,000
About 10% of the females at any one time are pregnant, ~5100

View Quote

Until the military is 50% women, we are going to lose all our wars.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 9:34:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Just curious, but does the Navy still plan to fight wars or is that too WhiteMalePatriarchialOppressor for them?
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 9:34:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Wow.

View Quote

No shit. That's fucking nuts, especially considering that navy fathers may not even get to be home for the birth of their children, much less get a bunch of paid time off after the birth.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 9:59:28 PM EDT
[#33]
I will go out on a very stout limb, and say that this is bad for our military readiness.

social issues totally aside.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:01:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't take off any time! Fuck that. She's the one who got pregnant.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:02:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Will this be applied to both partners with same sex marriages, 2 chicks or 2 dudes out for 18 weeks or is it just for the crotch fruit hatcher?
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 4:28:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shit. I took 12 weeks all 3 times. My hospital says I can if I want to. I had the time and used it.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 4:33:12 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I'm torn.

View Quote

Wait, the military doesn't let you accrue leave days anymore?

Since when?
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 6:32:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

10 days
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 6:34:30 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Since when?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm torn.

Since when?

You can accrue 60 days, so if you were to give birth near the end of a FY, you could have almost 90 days accrued.  Of course now that they are giving you 4 1/2 free months, why burn leave?  
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 6:42:19 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I'm a Naval Officer in a field with many females, and several of them have had children. They were all given 6 weeks paid maternity leave, no personal leave included.  Not sure why your cousin only got 30 days, it's been the navy's policy to give 6 weeks for a while.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm torn.

It was 6 weeks 26 years ago.

The extra time is good for the newborn and it makes it easier for the mom to comply with the latest guidelines on breast feeding.

The problem is that the SECNAV is supposedly doing this to improve retention, but increasing maternity leave won't do much in the designators and NECs where female retention is the worst.  Bottom line is that once a woman becomes a mother, she doesn't want to deploy any more, even if she still wants to work outside the home.  So, a female surface warfare officer, aviator, or a seagoing enlisted rating will look to either transfer to something with much lower deployment likelihood or get out anyway, regardless of whether her maternity leave is 6 weeks or 18 weeks.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 7:04:26 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Will this be applied to both partners with same sex marriages, 2 chicks or 2 dudes out for 18 weeks or is it just for the crotch fruit hatcher?
View Quote

Legit question. Only a matter of time before it comes up.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 7:06:48 AM EDT
[#42]
well, this will be a perfect fit for the new ladies assigned to submarines.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 7:07:24 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, since you actually have to give birth to get the leave, I think most folks can figure it out...
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 7:08:41 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Are young ladies offered/encouraged/provided-for-free the implantable birth control during every interaction with the medical folks?
View Quote

Yes.

Assuming their medical dept can support it.  Smaller units often don't have a real provider, so they would have to go to a base or MTF somewhere to get that.  Still, all contraceptive options are free.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 7:10:01 AM EDT
[#45]
If women want a military career, and kids, give them an unpaid sabbatical:

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2015/01/03/vice-admiral-navy-should-expand-sabbatical-program.html

If they want to have kids without a provider in their lives, fuck them, they can go join the FSA.  

I once knew a girl who had three kids during her four year enlistment, and finished a BS degree.  Amazing success story right!  Well sure, for her.  Not so much for the AF since she never stepped a foot onto the flightline to do her actual job after the first positive pregnancy test.  

Plenty of welfare queens in the .mil and this policy will encourage even more of them.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 7:13:10 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Well, since you actually have to give birth to get the leave, I think most folks can figure it out...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In this day and age thats an awful big assumption.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 7:14:32 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
If women want a military career, and kids, give them an unpaid sabbatical:

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2015/01/03/vice-admiral-navy-should-expand-sabbatical-program.html

If they want to have kids without a provider in their lives, fuck them, they can go join the FSA.  

I once knew a girl who had three kids during her four year enlistment, and finished a BS degree.  Amazing success story right!  Well sure, for her.  Not so much for the AF since she never stepped a foot onto the flightline to do her actual job after the first positive pregnancy test.  

Plenty of welfare queens in the .mil and this policy will encourage even more of them.
View Quote

Women in the military, no pros but a whole shit load of cons.

Except diversity for the sake of diversity.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 7:15:51 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good point.  Can I adopt a baby and take 4+ months off to "bond" with it?
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 7:30:13 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not an assumption if you actually read.  It extends the currently allotted 42 days of convalescent leave after giving birth.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 7:37:02 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Navy policy is 21 days of permissive TAD for any service member who adopts - only one member of a dual military couple is eligible for this TAD - and 4 months of no deployment for one of the parents.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top