Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/2/2015 12:25:06 PM EDT

By Jethro Mullen CNN

When Jacky Alcine looked at his Google Photos app recently, he was appalled by what he saw. The facial recognition software had tagged pictures of him and a friend, both of them African-Americans, with the word "Gorillas."

Alcine, a computer programmer in New York, called out Google about the blunder that had served up the offensive racial slur on the photos he'd uploaded.

"What kind of sample image data you collected that would result in this?" he asked in a series of angry tweets Sunday evening.

His outraged comments quickly picked up traction and the attention of a senior engineer at Google.

Yonatan Zunger, the chief architect of the Internet giant's Google+ platform, promptly jumped into the fray, expressing horror at the bug and promising to get it fixed as quickly as possible.

"This is 100% Not OK," he told Alcine in a tweet. "Sheesh. High on my list of bugs you *never* want to see happen. ::shudder::" Zunger said in another.

On Monday, Zunger said Google would stop using "Gorillas" as a label and was still clearing up the glitch in search results.

Google is also working on longer-term improvements in the use of words to label photos and its image recognition software, which automatically generates the tags.

"Lots of work being done, and lots still to be done. But we're very much on it," Zunger tweeted, explaining that image recognition software has problems with obscured faces, as well as different skin tones and lighting.

"We used to have a problem with people (of all races) being tagged as dogs, for similar reasons," he said.

Alcine has thanked Zunger for his response.

Google didn't immediately respond to calls from CNN late Wednesday seeking comment on the matter.

It's not the first time the Internet company's programming has misidentified subjects. In May, a user caught it tagging her dogs as horses.

The photo sharing service Flickr has also faced difficulties, labeling photos of both black and white people with "ape" and "animal."

In a continuing discussion on Twitter of the problem Alcine highlighted, Zunger insisted that it was down to "ordinary machine learning trouble."

But he acknowledged that "the history of racism is what makes this error particularly bad."
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:30:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Gotta find a victim anywhere possible.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:30:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Gorillas is a racial slur?  

I better go use my white privilege to get the Henry Doorly Zoo to rename their exhibit to the Hubbard G-Word Valley.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:30:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:31:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I better go use my white privilege to get the Henry Doorly Zoo to rename their exhibit to the Hubbard G-Word Valley.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:32:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I identify as a Gorilla and I am outraged . I demand reparations
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:34:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:35:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:43:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Just replace "gorilla" with something more vague, like "From Africa."
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:47:39 PM EDT
[#9]
It's facial recognition, so you are telling me that they look like this?

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:49:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Can someone sue someone else for this?
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:57:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Mistaken identity? yes,
Racial Slur? no
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:58:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:01:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:04:51 PM EDT
[#14]

I'd be okay with them flagging everyone doing duck lips as "Large Mouth Bass".
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:09:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Yes, I'm sure Google intentionally labled them as gorillas. White people's hatred for blacks knows no bounds.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:11:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Yes, I'm sure Google intentionally labled them as gorillas. White people's hatred for blacks knows no bounds.
View Quote

White people are so intrinsically racist that they even write racist computer code to automate racism.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:24:55 PM EDT
[#17]
The computer's honesty has no shame. It's only describing what it sees.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:28:01 PM EDT
[#18]
If we could power our country on butthurt, we'd be carbon neutral by 2019.

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:30:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Absolutely not.

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:55:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Confededate battle flag sabatoged the program.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 2:12:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If we could power our country on butthurt, we'd be carbon neutral by 2019 next week .

View Quote

FIFY!
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 2:13:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Computers are racist.  

Ban them.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 2:28:18 PM EDT
[#23]
And to express his outrage he immediately began to beat his chest with his fist and then started knocking down nearby bamboo trees.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 2:31:53 PM EDT
[#24]

Just when when I think that my giveafuckometer about the black man's plight in America is irreparably broken this happens and it goes into negative numbers.

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 1:20:59 AM EDT
[#25]
So, the graduation photo didn't count for anything positive?
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 1:27:57 AM EDT
[#26]
An insult to Gorillas
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 1:35:25 AM EDT
[#28]
fucking LOL
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 1:36:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Gorilla is not a slur.

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 1:37:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Why did he assume it was about race?

Maybe he's just ugly as sin?
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 2:04:07 AM EDT
[#31]
How embarrassing!

I'm so glad Gorillas don't read!
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 2:24:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Court ordered hurt feelings payout from Google in 3..2..1..
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 2:52:24 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

White people are so intrinsically racist that they even write racist computer code to automate racism.
View Quote

I lol'd pretty hard at that one.

Really though, how in the hell did this happen? I thought google was supposed to be a bunch of geniuses.  Obviously not.

Question, when liberal turds royally screw up like this, do they get fired or is that only for mean Republicans?
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 2:58:10 AM EDT
[#34]
What was that term used over the radio during the Rodney King riots?

I can't seem to recall...
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 2:58:25 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

I believe there was quite a flap about an LAPD police radio call which was monitored by citizens during the Rodney King riots, which involved the use of that term as it had been used in a then-recently popular film title.

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 2:59:25 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Really though, how in the hell did this happen? I thought google was supposed to be a bunch of geniuses.  Obviously not.

Question, when liberal turds royally screw up like this, do they get fired or is that only for mean Republicans?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Facial recognition is how it happened.

They need to tweak that a bit.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:13:00 AM EDT
[#37]

Maybe she'll learn how stupid she looks making that face?

Nahh, better to blame the world.

When an objective computer algorithm says something to you, you might want to listen.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:14:16 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Why did he assume it was about race?

Maybe he's just ugly as sin?
View Quote

Because there's no national butthurt support network for ugly people.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 4:01:44 AM EDT
[#39]
I can't quit laughing.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 4:11:02 AM EDT
[#40]
Oops

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 4:16:09 AM EDT
[#41]
I dunno... If a picture of white people were accidentally labeled "Crackers", I'd think it was pretty funny.

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 4:18:51 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
An insult to Gorillas
View Quote

Sure paint all of us ID's a bunch of racists Especially us Northerners
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 4:20:27 AM EDT
[#43]
I saw the photo. Made me laugh.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 4:22:46 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I dunno... If a picture of white people were accidentally labeled "Crackers", I'd think it was pretty funny.

View Quote

Or apes, monkeys, or gorillas for that matter.

I've known platy of white and black people who might be mistake by a computer algorithm for either, with the right angles and timing.

Steve Tyler and Ron Perlman come to mind, as white celebrities go.

It's just major taboo these days to suggest anyone darker skinned might also look ape like. Computer algorithms are not racist, they are unflinchingly honest.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 4:26:26 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They tried, the computer was intransigent, they finally had to remove "gorilla" as an option altogether to get the software to stop.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 4:33:40 AM EDT
[#46]

That's racist --------------------- everybody at Google should kill themselves...

According to penis-breath...

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:09:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:39:31 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:42:04 AM EDT
[#49]

I'm with runcible.

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 6:45:52 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top