BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 2:08:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No shit. The motherfuckers are everywhere, and cause millions in Damage to vehicles and crops,
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You guys actually breed deer?

Yes my avatar is 3 year old breeder buck from 9 years ago.  We artificially inseminate and live breed around 130 does a year.

Interesting. The only "wildlife" that is really bred around here is pheasants for canned hunts. We've got enough deer.

No shit. The motherfuckers are everywhere, and cause millions in Damage to vehicles and crops,

They are bred for trophies. Nothing else.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 2:09:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Don't know what SC has to do with your response just because I am from the state. Your hunts are manufactured and I don't care if they are on 10,000 acres. The same exact thing could be replicated here but for not having the massive areas of controlled land. Don't care that you do what y'all do but also have no sympathy if your 'herd' gets wiped out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wouldn't mind if the herds were wiped out where this kind of hunting goes on.

I have guided many people from South Carolina that do not feel the same way as you.  It is not at all a hunt like most people think the deer are not eating feed out of your hand or standing around waiting to be shot.  They have the same instincts and awareness as deer anywhere else.  These deer are not shot on 100 acre ''Preserves" like some places, ranches in Texas are in the thousands of acres.

Don't know what SC has to do with your response just because I am from the state. Your hunts are manufactured and I don't care if they are on 10,000 acres. The same exact thing could be replicated here but for not having the massive areas of controlled land. Don't care that you do what y'all do but also have no sympathy if your 'herd' gets wiped out.

Very nice you are. So no sympathy if someone loses their job and way of life. Real nice.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 2:12:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Very nice you are. So no sympathy if someone loses their job and way of life. Real nice.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have guided many people from South Carolina that do not feel the same way as you.  It is not at all a hunt like most people think the deer are not eating feed out of your hand or standing around waiting to be shot.  They have the same instincts and awareness as deer anywhere else.  These deer are not shot on 100 acre ''Preserves" like some places, ranches in Texas are in the thousands of acres.

Not if it's based on unnatural manipulation.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 2:13:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Last I heard, SOP for a deer that "might" have come from a cwd area was to shoot and bury the entire herd.

Anyone know if that's still the procedure?

They have a positive, they're gonna be freaking out, they might destroy a dozen herds.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 2:18:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Last I heard, SOP for a deer that "might" have come from a cwd area was to shoot and bury the entire herd.

Anyone know if that's still the procedure?

They have a positive, they're gonna be freaking out, they might destroy a dozen herds.
View Quote

I think it is either kill the herd, or quarantine for 5 years.

Eta, found this.  

http://www.cwd-info.org/pdf/TexasPlan.pdf
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 6:57:35 AM EDT
[#6]
I have been dealing with Deer Breeders for years with this in our laboratory, amongst other issues ( primarily excessive protein in fawns).
its bad news. I knew sooner or later it would spread south.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 6:59:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Was he illegally importing bucks from up north?
View Quote

probably.
from what I have seen many Deer Breeders aren't exactly on the up and up. years ago, one of the hunting mags wrote an excellent article on the issues Game Depts had ran into in dealing with the breeders and CWD. i'll look around at the Lab today and see if I can find it.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:00:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Been found in MI this year too.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:20:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:26:54 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Unless you raise every bit of your own food your extreme ignorance is showing.  "Unnatural manipulation" causes grocery store shelves to be full--and you to eat with very little cost, and no effort.  City boys . . .
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Unless you raise every bit of your own food your extreme ignorance is showing.  "Unnatural manipulation" causes grocery store shelves to be full--and you to eat with very little cost, and no effort.  City boys . . .
Maybe he's a wild cow hunter.  

This thread is fascinating to me.   I honestly had no idea there was a trophy deer breeding and hunting industry.   If my father in law had known about it while he was still alive, I'm certain he would have done a trip.  
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:35:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you know why there are no select/choice/prime grades for pork like there are for beef? Because the FDA considers the porcine population to be so uniformly bred that there's no useful purpose in such classification.

Kharn
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:39:04 AM EDT
[#12]
My dad works for the USDA and specializes in infections diseases. It's bad news.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:45:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Artificial manipulation occurs every hunting season when 99% of hunters try to shoot all the large antler bucks and leave the genetically poorer ones to breed with the does. Do you really think that is ''natural selection?"
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:46:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It is extremely unlikely that CWD can get to far in Texas outside of a breeder facility which have 8' fences and are typically on a ranch that has an 8' fence on the perimeter of the property.  

Yes we have to cull deer, bucks and does, to maintain a certain carrying capacity.  Genetics are what we are breeding for.  As I said my avatar is a 3 year old buck from 9 years ago, here is a picture of a 3 year old from 2 years ago.  Genetics have made a big leap in the last ten years.http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo200/pirkle55/PJ%20Big%20Iron%20%203_zpsnkhwxwix.jpg
View Quote

in the North, the deer farmers illegally transported them after a positive was found on grounds and they told officials all the deer had escaped.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:51:39 AM EDT
[#15]
In Missouri we have CWD in several counties.  We totally shut down the importation of out of state deer.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:58:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Profit motive at "canned hunt" ranches bit them. Sucks to suck.  Hopefully it does not get into the wild.

As long as more people do not figure out that no racks look as good as yearlings eat, I am all good.   :)
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 8:09:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

It's still not known if CWD can be transferred to humans..

Enjoy that chili.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Deer "hunting" here is more agriculture than anything else. Whatever keeps me in enough venison that the chili doesn't need to be watered down with beans keeps me happy though.  

It's still not known if CWD can be transferred to humans..

Enjoy that chili.

It must be transferable but I did not know that liberals ate that much deer meat.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 8:21:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This thread is like a prickly pear cactus flat, you walk through it your going to get some pricks.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 8:29:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If your "way of life" ie; farming infected deer, destroys the wild deer herd, I have not much sympathy for ya.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 9:11:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Good luck getting a 200" buck on the King Ranch, we get calls all the time from people that have been hunting on it looking for a big buck.  $13,400 is what a 200" buck cost here and it is $250 more for every inch over 200".  I am located across the highway from the King Ranch.
View Quote

This is why most of my hunting money is spent in Africa. For $13,400+ I can bag a truckload of plains game, pay to have it shipped home and the taxidermy work done. I've hunted Texas whitetail but wouldn't shoot the deer the ranch manager wanted me to shoot and he wouldn't let me shoot the one I wanted so I came home with nothing.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:31:18 AM EDT
[#21]
I just read the CWD article by Linday Thomas Jr last night in the latest QDMA mag - very bad news.  So far, according to the map shown above, TN is about as far away from any infected animals as we can get.  I hope it stays that way.  I think the county I live in has one of, if not the highest deer population in deer/sq mile of anywhere in the US, but I don't recall where I read that.

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:30:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Good luck getting a 200" buck on the King Ranch, we get calls all the time from people that have been hunting on it looking for a big buck.  $13,400 is what a 200" buck cost here and it is $250 more for every inch over 200".  I am located across the highway from the King Ranch.
View Quote

lol

I'd sooner pay for a non-resident license in another state infested with deer than $13k for the privilege of riding around in fenced in yard. To each their own, glad your business is booming. Amazes me that people pay that
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:33:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Humans are as natural as deer, are we not? Or are we artificial robots now? I call manipulation as natural as breathing the very air for we own the dominion over animals. That's not to say over nature, she can wipes us out at any moment and repopulate with all that natural beasties out there. It'd be foolish to have that much hubris.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:36:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Breeding deer?
Do Y'all farm kudzu and crab grass as well?
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:48:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Interesting.  Is it possible to test for CWD on a live critter or can it only be found post-mortem?
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:53:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

They are bred for genetic reasons, not for population.
Ranches have to cull deer if they have too many.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes my avatar is 3 year old breeder buck from 9 years ago.  We artificially inseminate and live breed around 130 does a year.

Interesting. The only "wildlife" that is really bred around here is pheasants for canned hunts. We've got enough deer.

They are bred for genetic reasons, not for population.
Ranches have to cull deer if they have too many.

Well, they got themselves a doozy now.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:58:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yep for decoration.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep for decoration.

Similar to shopping for a car, except they move around some.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:59:57 AM EDT
[#28]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

https://www.lsonews.com/chronic-wasting-disease-found-medina-county-deer/

I heard about this from another deer breeder this morning but this is the first article I saw.  I wonder what the ramifications will be from this for the whitetail breeder industry in Texas.

If its anything like Ohio, the breeder's name is some variation of "Yoder". Those people have no regard for fish and game laws.

No they are not named "Yoder" but its funny to see the Amish on a cell phone and showing pedigrees on an Ipad.

CWD was found a few years ago in the wild deer herds in west Texas and practices were put into place.  The infected animals most likely came from New Mexico.

That's a safe bet.

http://www.cwd-info.org/images/CWDmap.gif

That map would have looked a lot different two years ago.

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 10:01:48 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

There's deer in texas? I thought those were small dogs with antlers attached.
View Quote
Large antlers attached if the genetics are good

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 10:03:15 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

lol

I'd sooner pay for a non-resident license in another state infested with deer than $13k for the privilege of riding around in fenced in yard. To each their own, glad your business is booming. Amazes me that people pay that
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol

This part of Texas is actually pretty dependent on deer hunting.  Without the 'canned' hunting, I imagine the ranches around here would be even more torn up an littered (by all the illegal alien traffic) than they already are.  Also, as pointed out, some of the ranches are measured more in square miles than acres.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 10:04:19 AM EDT
[#31]
For what it's worth folks - not ALL hunting is done this way in Texas.

A bunch is, sure.  Especially on the larger more well known ranches that cater to a more affluent crowd.

It's surprising what can be done in 5 years by careful management of the existing genetics.  Culling the undesirable males while letting the desirable males live (and breed) for another year.  

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 10:13:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

I drive by the entrance to the King in Kingsville about every damned weekend on my way down to Premont

course, it's kind of a big ranch, whereabouts are you?

ETA:  nevermind, already answered
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 10:14:15 AM EDT
[#33]
Genetics are a wonderful thing

Ok  here is the problem.  Some hunters like to shoot large deer with large racks - so that removes them from the genetic pool, then only inferior males breed.  So at the base of it, culling inferior males and regulating the killing of supperior males is the start of breeding a better deer.  In much of Texas, the first has turned the native population into some pretty pathetic animals.  In other parts - high fences have gone up, and selective breading is producing some giants.  (Then they go crazy with AI to do it more efficiently.)

I can not shoot a deer at my ranch (300 acres).  To counter the trend, the state put in minimum spread laws.  I can see deer every hunt, but enough decades of abusing the genetics (by neighbors) and all I see is cantaloupe bucks.  So I need to do a bit of range management just to harvest a deer (while dozens live on the property).  That said, I can also apply for game management status so I can cull the bad genetics.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 10:14:17 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
It is extremely unlikely that CWD can get to far in Texas outside of a breeder facility which have 8' fences and are typically on a ranch that has an 8' fence on the perimeter of the property.  

Yes we have to cull deer, bucks and does, to maintain a certain carrying capacity.  Genetics are what we are breeding for.  As I said my avatar is a 3 year old buck from 9 years ago, here is a picture of a 3 year old from 2 years ago.  Genetics have made a big leap in the last ten years.http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo200/pirkle55/PJ%20Big%20Iron%20%203_zpsnkhwxwix.jpg
View Quote

WHAT IN THE FUCK IS THAT THING!!!

Sorry OP, I don't really think you've got some some Dr. Moreau operation going on, but it still scared the shit out of me

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 10:16:19 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the question: at what acreage does the presence of a "high fence" become irrelevant, given the roaming distances of unconfined bucks during the rut? One square mile is equal to 640 acres.

So far so good here in east Tennessee. The closest outbreak is in the northernmost tip of Virgina, about three hundred miles away. We figure it'll eventually get here, though
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top