BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 3:42:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is why I want to see the Federal Firearms Licensing system utterly abolished.

We don't have a Federal Free Speech Licensing system with dealers, so why do we have it for firearms?

There is an entitlement mentality that stores have with regard to being gate-keepers between you and your purchasing of firearms, and they are one of the worst sales industry cultures for some reason.
View Quote

Respectfully, any entitlement mentality (which I agree is wrong) stems from the fact that a retailer deals with a lot of head aches and expense to maintain and protect a license... especially during a time when the federal government is extremely hostile to the industry - audits, stings, Operation Choke Point to name a few. Just as the retailer should never feel entitled to a customer's business, a customer should never feel entitled to use a dealer's license at will. I'm in the industry, and I'm no fan of the licensing system either. It's BS, but it's the law until we manage to change it.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 3:49:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Agree completely. I visit one local store frequently as is it my current indoor range but I can't stand having to listing the bullshit while checking in/out. I never buy anything, just pay my range fees. I also avoid most gunshows for the same reason. My go to FFL is a personal friend and he runs his business from his house thankfully.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 3:54:17 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Well, that explains the malaise. Give them no incentive to sell, they don't sell. Funny how that works...or doesn't work.

Coffee is for closers.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I like how OP actually believes people that work for a gun shop get paid commission.

Many do, several of my shooting buddies have worked at gun stores and it was part of their pay structure. The one I interviewed for years ago paid a small commission on sales. I don't know specifically about Cabelas, but it wouldn't surprise me either way.

Cabelas does not pay commission on gun sales.

Just on credit card referrals and kiosk orders.

Well, that explains the malaise. Give them no incentive to sell, they don't sell. Funny how that works...or doesn't work.

Coffee is for closers.

Commission on kiosk orders?  WTF?
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 4:06:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I've actually made alot of progress AFA patience/temper "Issues".
However, I did lose my shit recently at a auto parts place. I'm at the cash register with my items and two employees look at me and just keep going, then stand a few feet away just flapping their sucks. Said something to the effect of fuck this shit, left and purchased my items 1/2 mile down the road.
They will never get my business again.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 4:13:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Add to your worst gun shop experience the CA state hoops and assrape and welcome to my world.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 4:20:47 PM EDT
[#6]
What gets me more are the premadonna dip shit behind the counter that think they know what you really want
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 4:36:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What gets me more are the premadonna dip shit behind the counter that think they know what you really want
View Quote

Usually trying to push what they like/what isn't moving/what they are getting a kickback for/what they think you can afford. I went around looking for a used SW model 10 last year for a trainer gun for some female family members/friends and one guy could simply not understand how I wasn't interested in a SW Pro C.O.R.E. instead, WTF
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 4:59:14 PM EDT
[#8]
I am glad I live near an awesome gunstore. None of this tomfoolery.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:28:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Usually trying to push what they like/what isn't moving/what they are getting a kickback for/what they think you can afford. I went around looking for a used SW model 10 last year for a trainer gun for some female family members/friends and one guy could simply not understand how I wasn't interested in a SW Pro C.O.R.E. instead, WTF
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Of course I'm going to push what I think is a good gun.  I don't push what's not moving, and I don't get any kickbacks, lol.  If we have a particularly good deal, I'll try to put it on your hand.  If you're buying a tiny plastic pistol, or a plastic .40" for your wife, I'm going to present some alternatives.  If you're dead set on getting a gun your wife can barely handle, don't let me stop you.

I send an awful lot of women, and some men, to the local range where they can rent pistols.  I should get a commission from them.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:45:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Out of the 20 or so local shops that have opened up over the past 6 or so years, there's only one good one that I'll go to. Its been around since the 70's . You can walk in do paperwork and be out in under 15 minutes.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 8:05:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yep. I hate all the stores around here. Haven't purchased a gun (or anything else really) from any of them in the better part of a decade.

Online is the only way to go IMO.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't like gun stores either.

Rather do my shopping online.

Yep. I hate all the stores around here. Haven't purchased a gun (or anything else really) from any of them in the better part of a decade.

Online is the only way to go IMO.

While I like to support my local businesses, they have to be willing to support my wallet as well.    One of my local shops still charges $25 for a pmag.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 2:09:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Respectfully, any entitlement mentality (which I agree is wrong) stems from the fact that a retailer deals with a lot of head aches and expense to maintain and protect a license... especially during a time when the federal government is extremely hostile to the industry - audits, stings, Operation Choke Point to name a few. Just as the retailer should never feel entitled to a customer's business, a customer should never feel entitled to use a dealer's license at will. I'm in the industry, and I'm no fan of the licensing system either. It's BS, but it's the law until we manage to change it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is why I want to see the Federal Firearms Licensing system utterly abolished.

We don't have a Federal Free Speech Licensing system with dealers, so why do we have it for firearms?

There is an entitlement mentality that stores have with regard to being gate-keepers between you and your purchasing of firearms, and they are one of the worst sales industry cultures for some reason.

Well, which is it?
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 2:12:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I am glad I live near an awesome gunstore. None of this tomfoolery.
View Quote

Yeah same here.  I like the more "tactical" oriented shops, they're more high speed and tend to get you taken care of more quickly but that's just my experience.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 2:15:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 2:36:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
An FFL can only transfer a firearm at their licensed premises or at a bonafide gunshow in the state their licensed premises is

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I used to work with a guy who had an FFL as he was the president of the local gun club.
he used to drop off the sales fliers ( like a Shotgun News ) when he got a new one. I'd place the order over the phone, and he'd bring the gun to work when it arrived.
I'd do the paperwork at my desk and pick the gun up in the parking lot.

I bought a lot of stuff in those 2 years...
An FFL can only transfer a firearm at their licensed premises or at a bonafide gunshow in the state their licensed premises is

as long as they call in to the atf and log it correctly in their books why would it matter?
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 4:09:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Random folks walk by my gun counter and I hand them the Springfield 1911, and work down from there.  Even if they're just there to get fishing gear.

Turned a Taurus .22" LR pistol sale into a 3 gun sale last week.  Didn't know she was there to buy a crappy .22".  Put her into a 9x19mm 1911 first.
View Quote

Doesn't count unless she walked away with a 1911 and legos.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 4:13:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I went to get a haircut once, and as soon as I walked in they said "wait won't be long, you're next".  I thought this was odd because there were a few guys sitting there who looked like they were there for haircuts.  Sure enough, they took some of those guys next (which of course they should have), but then after I sat there for 15 minutes a guy walked in and before I knew it he was sitting in the chair to get his hair cut and I hadn't been helped yet.  I just got up and left, never went back.
View Quote

I had a similar experience at a barbershop I frequent.
Except I asked why I was being skipped over, the barber apologized and offered to give me a free cut - which I turned down as it seemed like an honest mistake on his part and paid for my cut.
Sometimes it gets so busy you just lose track of things. Doesn't make it alright, but shit happens.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 4:13:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Random folks walk by my gun counter and I hand them the Springfield 1911, and work down from there.  Even if they're just there to get fishing gear.

Turned a Taurus .22" LR pistol sale into a 3 gun sale last week.  Didn't know she was there to buy a crappy .22".  Put her into a 9x19mm 1911 first.

No Legos, but a 9x19mm 1911 & two .22"s.

Speaking of Legos, and not visiting gun stores:

This could be the death knell of a lot of gun stores...
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 4:14:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Also Bud's doesn't even have good prices, what the hell are you people buying from there?
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 4:23:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I haven't bought a gun for a long time, and I can't say that has been something I missed. I sure like having a new one, even looking at them all, comparing, holding them...but the gun store experience is something I've always found frustrating.

Today perfect case in point, I went with the money to buy and the exact model I wanted to buy. Saw online they had it going on sale for a decent price. No need to finger-fuck anything, no talking it over, just hand me the 4473 and we're on our way.

So, being savvy to how the gun stores have changed in the last 7-8 years, I go on a Tuesday afternoon to avoid the weekend derp.

I walk in, there's 2 guys working the big counter, there's a number machine, 3 people at the counter (two being helped, a third milling about). Not sure if they're working on the number machine or not, I grab a number just to be safe and stand there.

After 20 minutes of listening to the 2 guys being helped, neither of which had ANY intention of buying anything...one is telling his Elk hunting story and the other can't decide which cheap Burris scope to put on his bolt gun, the other guy standing there walks away...leaving me "next". For all I know the tire kickers had been there for 3 hours.

20 more minutes go by, and I'm getting pissed. This is 100% on the dickwads behind the counter, if your customer just wants to stand there and do face time because his wife is a sour cow he needs to escape from 2 hours every day, it's your job to say "Can you hold on a minute, this guy has been standing here a while and I need to help him". Nope, both counter dicks just stand there and chit chat. First rule of a good salesman: Always be closing. Closing is not listening to a fat fuck who couldn't walk up a broken escalator talk about an Elk hunt he didn't do.

By now, a couple other people have walked up to around the counter, 3 of us plus the chatty two bar flys. Finally, Elk hunter gets up off his stool (another pet peeve, don't put a fucking chair by the counter...this encourages social time, it's a fucking gun store not a bar), and before counter guy can do anything one of the dudes just buts right in and starts hitting him up to look at a gun. Again, failure on the counter twat's part - pay attention to the order, or work off your numbers. And, fail on the part of the rude cock face customer. Have some fucking manners, gun owners shouldn't be on par with the Walmart Black Friday house fraus.

Not wanting to be a confrontational dick, I let that slide...but I'm getting pissed. The other guy finally decides he'll go home and do some research on shitty scopes, so he leaves. The dude helping him turns to the person closest to him (not me) and asks if he needs any help. At this point, fuck it, I'm hot.

I spoke up and said "Hold on a sec here, I was next". The counter guy goes "We get really busy in here sometimes, it's hard to keep track" and the guy he asks looks at me like I'm the bad guy (he also saw me standing there when he walked up and gladly accepted the help knowing he was butting in line).

I'm just livid at this point, and turned off of the idea of giving either of these guys a $1 on their commission, so I said "You know what, fuck it, you go back to bartending and listening to stories, and I'll go buy a gun somewhere else. BTW, I took a number." and out I walked.

Got home and ordered the fucking gun from Buds.

I know, CSB and all that, but seriously I have had a lifetime of the putzes that mill around gun stores with slobber glaze on their chin and the barely employable turds that work the counter. If I never step foot in one again, it'll be a good life. Fuck, I wish you could just Amazon Prime all your guns and ammo.

If you work at a gun store and any of this hits close to home, clean up your fucking act. It's a business, don't let lonely porkers sit there and drive off your business. If they're not serious, MOVE THEM THE FUCK ALONG.

Tomorrow's rant, Uncle Mike's products should not constitute the bulk of your accessory isle.

/Soapbox.
View Quote
Did you go to Cabela's by chance?

I must go to the wrong gun stores. I have yet to go to one aside from Cabela's that uses a ticket system.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 4:29:33 AM EDT
[#21]
You need a better shop.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 6:09:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Generally, this is my experience as well. I can't stand going into shops where I find NOTHING worth buying (most of it is old shit that hasn't been demand in 30 years or ridiculously overpriced) and employees that don't seem to give a shit. I notice this especially with fudd stores.

I very rarely buy anything from gun stores any more, unless the total price of the item is cheaper than it would be online with shipping (usually single boxes of ammo), or if there's a decent price on a used gun.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 6:26:12 AM EDT
[#23]
I like the gun store that is close to me.

Prices are sometimes a little high. But its always clean, the staff are polite, and the indoor range attached to it is nice
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 7:00:16 AM EDT
[#24]
...most gun stores I have been to have fairly shitty customer service.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 7:11:06 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
as long as they call in to the atf and log it correctly in their books why would it matter?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I used to work with a guy who had an FFL as he was the president of the local gun club.

he used to drop off the sales fliers ( like a Shotgun News ) when he got a new one. I'd place the order over the phone, and he'd bring the gun to work when it arrived.

you got me

I don't get it either

but unless its a gunshow or other  "firearms event" you cannot do business outside your licensed premise

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/27/478.100

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 7:21:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, we should have mobile gun shops . . . sort of like food trucks . . . to serve the people who live in "gun deserts."
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 7:42:53 AM EDT
[#27]
As always, swingset comes through with another outstanding rant!

9/10

-1 for not enough use of the word FUCK!

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 7:51:12 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Yeah, we should have mobile gun shops . . . sort of like food trucks . . . to serve the people who live in "gun deserts."

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I made a thread about that awhile ago...

I mostly got yelled at Fuck me for making a thread about gun shit in GD.

Some guys thought it would be doable, but I would think you would have to have some kickass lawyers on retainer.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:14:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Some guys thought it would be doable, but I would think you would have to have some kickass lawyers on retainer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

First, the ATF would never approve the license.
Second, if you tried it, they would yank your license.

Simply not allowed. If you want to sell guns out of the trunk of  your car, don't get an FFL.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:38:40 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Simply not allowed. If you want to sell guns out of the trunk of  your car, don't get an FFL.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Probably accurate. I'm not an authority on it nor would I every claim to be, however I had a guy PM me that he was trying to do just that, lawyers said that legally he would be in the clear...Don't know if he ever went through with it though.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:37:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Well, which is it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, which is it?

The law says it MUST go through an FFL, but tht doesn't mean you have the right to do it though OUR FFL. A dealer can refuse to sell or transfer a gun, and no customer should assume a dealer will do a transfer for them, much less on the buyer's terms.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:38:05 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because that's the terms of the license.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 10:03:54 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

If a product is in the cabelas catalog, but not stocked at that store, an outfitter can help a customer order it through a kiosk in the store. The outfitter gets a very small commission.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 10:10:08 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Probably accurate. I'm not an authority on it nor would I every claim to be, however I had a guy PM me that he was trying to do just that, lawyers said that legally he would be in the clear...Don't know if he ever went through with it though.
View Quote

You should look for a new lawyer.

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 10:35:37 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The local stores are staffed, and patronized, by mouth breathing retards who are legends in their own minds.

Fuck that. Buy online and avoid that bullshit.
View Quote

We've must have shopped at the same stores.  
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 10:49:04 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What if a dealer had a vehicle like a Snap-on truck or a trailer and just showed display guns around town and then actually conducted all the business at his brick and mortar store?

Would that be permissible?
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 11:10:24 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The law says it MUST go through an FFL, but tht doesn't mean you have the right to do it though OUR FFL. A dealer can refuse to sell or transfer a gun, and no customer should assume a dealer will do a transfer for them, much less on the buyer's terms.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, which is it?

And that's why we've got such shitty brick&mortars and the reason for this thread: they know that the 'customer' MUST go through one of them, even if the purchase really doesn't even have to involve them at all.
To me, it's almost no different than if the BATFE refused to issue FFL's and instead ran a government 'tax' office where transfers took place.
Yes, the whole thing is a shitty situation, but I don't have a lot of sympathy for someone who chooses to be an FFL and treat 'customers' like crap.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 11:49:29 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

What if a dealer had a vehicle like a Snap-on truck or a trailer and just showed display guns around town and then actually conducted all the business at his brick and mortar store?

View Quote

I don't see why not, but I can't see any dealer doing that. It's hard enough to make a dime selling guns without pissing away a bunch of money on a finger fuck van.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 11:57:54 AM EDT
[#39]
My FFL started out as a good friend of mine first, THEN became a dealer.

I do the vast majority of my shipping with USPS's online label maker, or a FedEx dropoff that I've literally seen one other customer in.

I order everything I can online. Phones, gun parts, whatever. Pay bills, everything.

Very, very rarely do I have to deal with crappy customer service now. It's too much of a PITA. Shoot, every time I go to Cabela's to finger a gun I get peeved because they take 20 minutes to get to me since they only have a couple of guys working a 150 foot  gun counter
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 11:58:10 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

You've never been in it, but you know it's not worth your time?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm with you. There is a gun store less than 150 yards from my house and I've never been in it.

You've never been in it, but you know it's not worth your time?

I know several people who have been in there. Their favorite line is "we can order it". Well so can I.

I might go in there this afternoon. I need some sub sonic 300blk to check function on a new gun. I feel pretty confident I'll be told "we can order it".

If they carry much powder I might become a regular customer.

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 12:29:03 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
If a product is in the cabelas catalog, but not stocked at that store, an outfitter can help a customer order it through a kiosk in the store. The outfitter gets a very small commission.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's goofy as fuck...if there's an appropriate place for commission, and a counterproductive one, they've managed to confuse the two.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 12:40:07 PM EDT
[#42]
I considered getting my FFL, this is why I didnt.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 1:07:41 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

+1

problem with holsters is it costs huge $$$ money to carry  a decent stock of anything nice

and it takes huge amounts of space to display correctly

and even then people always seem to want what you don't have , and it is for sale at less than your cost on amazon

Pretty much all we mess with anymore are UM Fobus and Blackhawk

as they are cheap enough to push for a add on to a firearms purchase

someone that knows/wants galco , comptac or whatever will most likely buy it online or want the one style option you happen to not have at the time

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tomorrow's rant, Uncle Mike's products should not constitute the bulk of your accessory isle.

He probably stocks what people are willing to buy
+1

problem with holsters is it costs huge $$$ money to carry  a decent stock of anything nice

and it takes huge amounts of space to display correctly

and even then people always seem to want what you don't have , and it is for sale at less than your cost on amazon

Pretty much all we mess with anymore are UM Fobus and Blackhawk

as they are cheap enough to push for a add on to a firearms purchase

someone that knows/wants galco , comptac or whatever will most likely buy it online or want the one style option you happen to not have at the time

All of this.

It makes me want to

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 1:12:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Since I am MANDATED to transfer guns through a FFL, that sort of.....makes the situation a little bit different than if the FFL was just for dealing guns, but not needed for buying them for personal use. (in other words, no bullshit background check chokepoint for the buyer).

That being said, and my original point being....that as a buyer, I should be able to buy without any sort of shit to deal with, directly to my door if I so choose.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 1:32:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Amen, brother.  I know that we are supposed to support our local gun stores and not buy from big box stores or online retailers.  But I can't help it.  Why visit the local good-ole-boy's club for bad prices and worse service?

Here in Tulsa the preeminent gun store is Dong's.  It was started by a Vietnamese refugee, then he eventually sold to what appears to be a group of guys that decided they would combine their hatred of people and their desire to have a gun-filled room to hang out in all day into a business.  On the plus side, they carry nearly everything a shooter could want - uncommon ammunition, surplus guns, reloading equipment, and every target known to man.  On the negative side, they don't mind a little price-gouging, the store is a dim, filthy mess, and they treat customers like inconveniences.  You know the type - they might stand up if they absolutely need to, they know positively everything, and customers that aren't solely interested in shooting whitetails and Fritz are just numb-nuts that are ruining the sport.  They have one young guy that started working there a couple of years ago.  He's a very good salesman, communicator, and customer service rep.  But I still avoid that store, and I've heard from many other shooters that avoid it, too.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 1:35:18 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

That's why I buy at smaller gun stores with good customer service and not Gander Mountain.
View Quote
Lol. The smaller gun store around here is worse than the chains.

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 1:53:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I don't see why not, but I can't see any dealer doing that. It's hard enough to make a dime selling guns without pissing away a bunch of money on a finger fuck van.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was thinking about it more as another revenue stream. Perhaps not every day, but maybe on the weekends and at certain events as they get calendared. There are a lot of dealers that have brick and mortar "space" where they just sell a few guns and do transfers.

The angle would be something like "we bring our showroom to you, or we'll be at this location at such and such a day and time."

If marketed correctly it could be profitable.

It was just a thought.

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 1:58:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
My FFL started out as a good friend of mine first, THEN became a dealer.

I do the vast majority of my shipping with USPS's online label maker, or a FedEx dropoff that I've literally seen one other customer in.

I order everything I can online. Phones, gun parts, whatever. Pay bills, everything.

Very, very rarely do I have to deal with crappy customer service now. It's too much of a PITA. Shoot, every time I go to Cabela's to finger a gun I get peeved because they take 20 minutes to get to me since they only have a couple of guys working a 150 foot  gun counter
View Quote

Explain again the part about how they're supposed to buy a hundred thousand dollars worth of inventory so you can use them as the showroom for an online dealer.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 1:58:37 PM EDT
[#49]
i didn't read 6 pages, but i'm with you OP... there's a chain of walmart style gun stores out here... great prices and sales, but you get the same shitty service, no matter what it's always a fucking wait... i much prefer the smaller lgs.. little less inventory, but they can order just about anything and are friendly and have good service...
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 2:10:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I was thinking about it more as another revenue stream. Perhaps not every day, but maybe on the weekends and at certain events as they get calendared. There are a lot of dealers that have brick and mortar "space" where they just sell a few guns and do transfers.

The angle would be something like "we bring our showroom to you, or we'll be at this location at such and such a day and time."

It was just a thought.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was just a thought.

I think there's also a provision that the FFL can go to the buyer's residence and do the transfer, but it's been several years since I looked at the ATF stuff that closely.

The economics of it don't work, though. You really don't make that much profit on guns. On some days, you sell no guns.

Gun stores get a decent amount of customers who saw their signs or advertising and decided to go there. Most people who want to buy a gun expect to spend some time at it, if only for the process of deciding which one they want. It can take two hours to sell one Glock and your gross profit is $100.00. Your inventory will be limited in the van. There's not much room. Your sales space will also be limited.

Some additional customers will see the signage on the van, but I'd expect very few of them to see the van and decide that it's time to spend two hours buying a gun. If he decides to stop and you've already got a customer, he's out of luck.

Meanwhile, you have to cover the expense of operating the van and your fixed place of business.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top