Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:05:21 PM EDT
[#1]
OP you are screaming stupid.  You are the type of guy who has more hang-ups  than the fat people you obsess about.  Oh wait, you're also a '14-er.  You need to unplug your dial up modem, go upstairs and kiss your mommy goodnight.  It's getting late.....
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:06:15 PM EDT
[#2]
While running might not be good for weightless, IMHO (non professional at that) I think that it's good for conditioning and helping among other exorcises increasing Vo2 max.

For the peeps that do know a lot about this, does weightlifting have the same cardiovascular effects as running? (or biking, and swimming?)
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:12:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Which is a pretty decent time, I would imagine that during that time period you were pretty fit.  Did you gym rat at all or just do regular PT?    

I stopped running when I got out as well, then went into offshore oil and gas, where I got strong as fuck but pudgy.  I had always chalked it up to not running.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Six minute mile? No thank you . Last time I could do a six minute mile was in the Marine Corps, put three of them together and I got a little slower haha.  Honestly I don't think I've run since I got out.
What was your best PFT 3 mile?  

I stayed around 19:30. Could never break 19 minutes
Which is a pretty decent time, I would imagine that during that time period you were pretty fit.  Did you gym rat at all or just do regular PT?    

I stopped running when I got out as well, then went into offshore oil and gas, where I got strong as fuck but pudgy.  I had always chalked it up to not running.

It was about 30% with lifting while in. Tough to find time and out in the field a lot. Mostly I'd drink over going over to the gym.
Are you hiring?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:13:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
OP you are screaming stupid.  You are the type of guy who has more hang-ups  than the fat people you obsess about.  Oh wait, you're also a '14-er.  You need to unplug your dial up modem, go upstairs and kiss your mommy goodnight.  It's getting late.....
View Quote

I'm at your moms tonight but okay

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:22:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:26:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

either you are naturally a skinny fuck or you are lying.

nobody puts on those kinds of miles in their 40s unless they are a freak in the first place.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Diet is the key to weightloss.

You can't outrun or outlift a shitty diet.

I run a lot and it's my preferred method of exercise.  Quit trying to pigeonhole people. Eat right and move for a healthy lifestyle.

Yes you can.

Short term, maybe. Long term, nope.

Really?  I am in my 40s and eat tons of crap. I also run 80-100 miles a week. On my light run days and my non run days (2 days a week)  I lift.  By light run I mean days where I run less than 15 miles.  What do you mean by short term?  (I will admit that sometimes I will go on vacation for a couple of weeks and last time I did I gained 7 lbs)

either you are naturally a skinny fuck or you are lying.

nobody puts on those kinds of miles in their 40s unless they are a freak in the first place.

Not naturally skinny.  I race 100 mile ultras.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:30:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
On average, how many calories would a male age 30, 6'0 180 lbs burn running a 12 min mile for an hour compared to vigorously lifting weights for an hour?
View Quote

Im 32 6'2 probably 200 lbs my 5k is about 30 minuts so around 10 min miles burns 400 cals so 800 in an hour. My upper body weight routine came out to about 600 calories, usually takes about a half hour so 1200 calories in an hour... im guessing heavier weights doing legs would burn even more. Thing is i cant do much more than that half hour unless i did legs and arms on the same day. After my upper body routine my chest arms and shoulders are all fatigued. I could jog for at least an hour and i could pretty much just keep going on a bike...

Its stupid to discount any aspect of fitness. You should be eating right lifting doing cardio and flexibility. Warm up with some cardio do some weights and then follow it with some yoga targeting the same muscle groups you just lifted with so you dont get trex arms or cant walk up the stairs.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:31:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Why is this even a question?

Even getting out and walking is better for weight loss than sitting around.

Back in college I used to be a Forrest Gump running fool.  I ran ~20 miles a week around a track late at night because I couldn't sleep.  I was a trim & muscular ~180lbs.

Yeah, of course.. watching your diet sure makes weight loss easier.

I see these threads on here and I don't get why this is such a mystery.  The formula for losing weight is cut & dry.  It's the will & follow through that are the tough parts, at least for me.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:31:31 PM EDT
[#9]
If I started running to lose weight, I would quit trying to lose weight within a week, either due to injury or complete boredom.

So, for me, running is a horrible way to lose weight.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:32:39 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
It was about 30% with lifting while in. Tough to find time and out in the field a lot. Mostly I'd drink over going over to the gym.

Are you hiring?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you hiring?
LOL no, I've been out of the Gulf for a long time, now I'm just a fat college student. (working on it, I wrecked my shoulder and ankle at the same time I hit 30 and my metabolism shit the bed)

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:33:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My mother died in 1992.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:38:36 PM EDT
[#12]
The gyms I go to are full of fat dudes that talk all day about bulking, cutting, and pre-workout. Go outside to the track and you rarely see a fat body.

You were saying OP?

For real though, for weight loss you should do somewhat intense cardio AND lift HEAVY weights. Mostly cardio/circuit training though.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:40:12 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

While running might not be good for weightless, IMHO (non professional at that) I think that it's good for conditioning and helping among other exorcises increasing Vo2 max.

For the peeps that do know a lot about this, does weightlifting have the same cardiovascular effects as running? (or biking, and swimming?)

View Quote

Truth bomb: Weightlifting can have better cardiovascular effects as running / biking / swimming, and it's called CrossFit.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:40:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Calories in - Calories out

It's not really that hard.
View Quote

Most runners diet, cause it's easier to run with less weight.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:44:15 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Truth bomb: Weightlifting can have better cardiovascular effects as running / biking / swimming, and it's called CrossFit.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I prefer to avoid paying an exorbitant fee to do the same stuff I did in the Marines, but have a 20% probability of shoulder or back injury.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:46:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Calories in - Calories out

It's not really that hard.

Most people I know that run / work out (hard) is so they can eat and drink whatever they want.  That said, they aren't full blown bingers because that simply doesn't agree with the lifestyle....
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:47:45 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I still run some because I kind of like it, and I feel like I should. As far as performance, I've long felt high intensity cardio  was better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I generally do 20-25 miles a week of running, and I find that those times when I injure myself causing me take a few weeks to a month off from running I actually lose weight.  When I start running again I put the weight back on.

I was seeing the same thing you were. A trainer explained to me that long distance running makes your body conserve and store.

thats my experience as well.

I run because the army made me.

well, not anymore.

I still run some because I kind of like it, and I feel like I should. As far as performance, I've long felt high intensity cardio  was better.
Back in '09, when I was running 5 mile runs, four times a week after I got off duty, I loved it.  Good way to unwind from the day.

But it wasn't making my 1.5 mile time any faster, so I had to stop doing it so much.  Intervals were still a good way to chill out after working, but not the same.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:49:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Running is great for weight loss, it's hell on the joints though..
View Quote

The joint thing is exacerbated because most overweight people who take up running for weight loss have atrocious form and essentially injure themselves through poor mechanics.  

Fatties should start with weights, pool, elliptical, bike.....
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:49:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yes you can.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I run a lot and it's my preferred method of exercise.  Quit trying to pigeonhole people. Eat right and move for a healthy lifestyle.

Yes you can.

YOU can.  The people who that really applies to is fat people.  People for whom exercise works are still metabolically normal.  They might have a little extra weight, but when they take in sugar their body efficiently sequesters it away by restoring liver and muscle glycogen, which you needed because you just outran your shitty diet.  You know how much you can cheat and you eat accordingly.  In between meals, your body burns fat the way it's supposed to.  

A fat person eats sugar, because they're fat, and their pancreas releases a bunch of insulin that's floating around trying to get cells to take in glucose.   But the cells aren't buying, because they don't need it, in fact they have so much that they literally start shutting down routes into the cell to stop it from coming in.  But that shit needs to get out of the bloodstream, or else toes start falling off, so the pancreas pumps out more insulin.  They now have so much insulin that fat can't get out of fat cells (that's one of its jobs, I mean why break down fat after you just ate) so any cells that are actually working hard like brain cells start signaling for more food.  

This is insulin resistance, on the way to diabetes, and it's why metabolically fat people feel like they don't have energy unless they eat.   That includes energy for exercise.  It's a shitty position to be in, and requires changing the way you eat.  

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:51:44 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
My mother died in 1992.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

OP you are <>  It's getting late.....

<>

My mother died in 1992.
You brought moms into this first, man.

Both of y'all are acting like children.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:56:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Freakin Ultra runners.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes you can.

Short term, maybe. Long term, nope.

Really?  I am in my 40s and eat tons of crap. I also run 80-100 miles a week.  On my light run days and my non run days (2 days a week)  I lift.  By light run I mean days where I run less than 15 miles.  What do you mean by short term?  (I will admit that sometimes I will go on vacation for a couple of weeks and last time I did I gained 7 lbs)

Freakin Ultra runners.

I try an encourage everyone I know to do a 100 mile mountain ultra.  It is a great feeling when you finish, hard to describe.  And when you win one...it's hard to stop.  Pretty funny though, every time I do one when I hit about 60 miles I wonder what the hell I was thinking.  Then after finishing I can't wait to go on ultrasignup and look for another.  You forget the hard part.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:57:38 PM EDT
[#22]
I got out of the Army in 1985, I run 12-16 miles a week and run a few middle distance races every year since then, I still fit in my old class A uniform. The original post is complete fail, get motivated, get moving
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:57:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I try an encourage everyone I know to do a 100 mile mountain ultra.  It is a great feeling when you finish, hard to describe.  And when you win one...it's hard to stop.  Pretty funny though, every time I do one when I hit about 60 miles I wonder what the hell I was thinking.  Then after finishing I can't wait to go on ultrasignup and look for another.  You forget the hard part.
View Quote

you've won an ultramarathon?

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:57:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

"Skinny fat".

A mix of cardio and strength training is key, IMO
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think where cardio gets critiqued is from the "looking good naked" standpoint.  You don't see very many obese long distant runners.  However you see a fair number of long distance runners with little inner tubes around their waist and flabby granny arms.  That doesn't mean they are fat, but you don't typically see long distance runners with a V tapper.

"Skinny fat".

A mix of cardio and strength training is key, IMO

This is what I believe in.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:01:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought crossfit was for people who dont have time to work out.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:05:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:06:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:07:38 PM EDT
[#28]
shade_1313 summed it up pretty well in lieu of saying Code of Conduct rule against personal attacks.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top