Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/28/2015 7:35:23 AM EDT
http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2015/0627/Star-of-Bethlehem-Jupiter-and-Venus-converge-in-night-sky

for the first time in 2,013 years, the two planets will converge, peaking on June 30th. Venus is that bright star in the west-northwest that you have seen the last several nights, Jupiter is the smaller .

A little more info on the Star of Bethlehem 2,013 years ago here. Turns out it was Jupiter going into retrograde several times before conjoining Venus in 2 BC.

Pic from 3 days ago:

PSALM 19:1-4:

The heavens declare the glory of God,

and the sky above proclaims his handiwork.

Day to day pours out speech,

and night to night reveals knowledge.

There is no speech, nor are there words,

whose voice is not heard.

Their voice goes out through all the earth,

and their words to the end of the world.

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:40:08 AM EDT
[#1]
I've seen Dr. Larson speak on this several times - really fascinating topic.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:44:25 AM EDT
[#2]
That's a cool tree.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:46:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Another from 7 days ago...the moon and the two planets.

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:48:32 AM EDT
[#4]

Very interesting timing
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:49:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Are you using a 4pt star filter to get the lines?
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:49:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Great picture in the OP. I thought it needed to be cropped though.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:50:10 AM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
It's a pic from reddit.

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 8:56:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have seen him as well. Very interesting.must watch it many times to see all the details. The blood moons are also a sign of the times. Mark Biltz on that subject is also very interesting. He takes it from the Hebrew point of view.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 9:13:13 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I have seen him as well. Very interesting.must watch it many times to see all the details. The blood moons are also a sign of the times. Mark Biltz on that subject is also very interesting. He takes it from the Hebrew point of view.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

A lot of encores this year. Both this, the moons, eclipses,  and Good Friday was on the very day: April 3, 33AD.

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 9:25:06 AM EDT
[#10]
I brought my 9 year old grandson out see it last night. He was most impressed and that inspired me to buy a much better telescope than the one I have had for the last 18 years.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 9:28:05 AM EDT
[#11]
So God approves of gay marriage?

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 9:29:50 AM EDT
[#12]
i have a pretty good size window over the front door and where my recliner is, I can see the planets for a while. Pretty cool.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 10:17:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
A lot of encores this year. Both this, the moons, eclipses,  and Good Friday was on the very day: April 3, 33AD.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree. There was a blood moon when Jesus was crucified. I am not one to go into the prediction business but something (very possibly) is  up.

Nice pics
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 10:31:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

God will not be mocked! People don't understand that in the times of Noah the people were wicked but they wanted nothing to do with God and they didn't acknowledge him in any way. They were thumbing their nose at him. He gave them time to repent. Noah took 75-125 years to build the ark. In that time they could have repented and God would have forgiven them.

Think of the White House with the gay flag in lights. Kind of funny they are banning flags but inserting their own flag where they want it. God loves Gay people. He just doesn't like their sin. He must judge sin he is Holy.
Don't forget sex before marriage and adultery comes under the same judgement of God. People point their fingers at gay people but there is plenty of sexual sin God is going to be forced to judge.

Give your life to Christ and enjoy the beautiful stars in the sky. It is great to look at them without worry of you personally being judged for sin. Very sad to think others will be judged.

No reason to come under his judgement.Accept his grace. God bless.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 10:33:16 AM EDT
[#15]
I guess I shouldn't complain when Christmas stuff starts appearing in the summer.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 12:50:17 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
God will not be mocked! People don't understand that in the times of Noah the people were wicked but they wanted nothing to do with God and they didn't acknowledge him in any way. They were thumbing their nose at him. He gave them time to repent. Noah took 75-125 years to build the ark. In that time they could have repented and God would have forgiven them.

Think of the White House with the gay flag in lights. Kind of funny they are banning flags but inserting their own flag where they want it. God loves Gay people. He just doesn't like their sin. He must judge sin he is Holy.

Don't forget sex before marriage and adultery comes under the same judgement of God. People point their fingers at gay people but there is plenty of sexual sin God is going to be forced to judge.

Give your life to Christ and enjoy the beautiful stars in the sky. It is great to look at them without worry of you personally being judged for sin. Very sad to think others will be judged.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Er...OK.

Thanks...for that.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 1:14:18 PM EDT
[#17]

View Quote

Re read and study the old laws, its basically you took her to bed, she is now your responsibility/problem to take care of.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 1:17:13 PM EDT
[#18]
I was in a park last night and it was interesting to see the old crusty guys setting up telescopes.

The light pollution would have to suck, you'd think.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 1:28:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2015/0627/Star-of-Bethlehem-Jupiter-and-Venus-converge-in-night-sky

for the first time in 2,013 years, the two planets will converge, peaking on June 30th. Venus is that bright star in the west-northwest that you have seen the last several nights, Jupiter is the smaller .

A little more info on the Star of Bethlehem 2,013 years ago here. Turns out it was Jupiter going into retrograde several times before conjoining Venus in 2 BC.

Pic from 3 days ago:

http://i.imgur.com/6WDIqTZ.jpg

View Quote

Bullshit article.  Jupiter and Venus come into conjunction fairly regularly, though this one will be expecially nice and close.  There have been several conjunctions of the two the last few years; another will happen next year.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 1:52:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well now I don't need to drink tonight, my daily quotient of brain cells has already been destroyed
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 3:05:11 PM EDT
[#21]

Well now I don't need to drink tonight, my daily quotient of brain cells has already been destroyed
View Quote

Username and join date are appropriate
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 3:09:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Pretty interesting
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 3:11:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Those lines are a defect (diffraction spikes) due to the metal support for the secondar mirror in a traditional newtonian telescope. Its funny people would make a filter to emulate it with a retractor camera lens system.

Its like making a direct impingement AK gas system.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:10:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I was in a park last night and it was interesting to see the old crusty guys setting up telescopes.

View Quote

It does, but these objects are bright enough where it's not too big of a deal.  The more annoying thing is street light in my peripheral vision or reflecting off of the eyepiece.  Makes me want something like what photographers use to block out the light.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:12:58 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View Quote

... Fuck you too, non-American ARFCOM team member

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:20:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Star of Bethlehem?

Start looking for the remnants of a supernova, at 2000 light-years distance.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:24:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sedona has almost zero light pollution, we don;t allow any upwards pointing lights, takes a bit to get used to.   But utterly fantastic for using the telescope.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:27:24 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Star of Bethlehem?

Start looking for the remnants of a supernova, at 2000 light-years distance.
View Quote
Possibly, but:

"A nova is an exploding star. A nova appears suddenly at a point in time, endures over time, rises in the east like other stars and can be spectacular. However, none appears in the ancient records for this time period.

And like comets, a nova is an obvious thing. Many of us have been to locations, such as high mountains or the desert, far from modern artificial light (which astronomers call "light pollution”). We marvel at how clearly the heavens can be seen under such conditions. Unless weather interfered, Jerusalem was like that every night, and common people were far more familiar than are we with the appearance of the night sky. If a nova suddenly appeared, almost everyone would know about it. Herod would not have had to ask the Magi when it appeared. If the Star was a real astronomical event, it was very likely not a nova."

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:27:40 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View Quote
Light pollution doesn't make too much of a difference looking at the moon or planets.

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:28:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Sedona has almost zero light pollution, we don;t allow any upwards pointing lights, takes a bit to get used to.   But utterly fantastic for using the telescope.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah as a kid growing up in Sedona we couldn't play night games in little league thanks to the fine folks of Keep Sedona Beautiful.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:30:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

those are, usualy, artifacts from the tines that hold the secondary mirror in place
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:35:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Or maybe not so much...
Get ready
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:53:20 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Bullshit article.  Jupiter and Venus come into conjunction fairly regularly, though this one will be expecially nice and close.  There have been several conjunctions of the two the last few years; another will happen next year.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Pic from 3 days ago:

http://i.imgur.com/6WDIqTZ.jpg

Venus occulted Jupiter in June of 3 BC.  It was still daytime, so it wasn't visible, though.

Everything on the ecliptic lines up every once in a while, and there's nothing special about it.

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 9:15:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Re read and study the old laws, its basically you took her to bed, she is now your responsibility/problem to take care of.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Look in Leviticus it spells out the sexual sins. New Testament too.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 9:28:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Thanks for the heads up, OP

Hoping it's clear
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:32:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:39:34 PM EDT
[#37]
I'll be looking tonight and tomorrow.  Was the original Star of Bethlehem a naturalistic or a supernatural event?  Yes, quite.

In an era and a region filled with witnessed, supernatural miracles, this could have been just one more.  I dunno, I wasn't there.  I love astronomical events which can be seen with naked eyes, or 10x50's
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:44:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I agree. There was a blood moon when Jesus was crucified. I am not one to go into the prediction business but something (very possibly) is  up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

God damn, and people say DU has nutty stuff posted.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:44:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Me and the man cub have been checking it out.

It's bound to happen given the orbits of the planets.

Enjoy it don't get your jimmies rustled trying to force something more to it
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:47:46 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 3:49:09 PM EDT
[#41]
My photos from last night

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 3:50:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Very neat
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 3:58:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Conjunction details.
...In fact, such conjunctions, or close pairings, of these two planets are not particularly rare. The orbit of Venus is tipped just 3.4° with respect to Earth's, Jupiter even less at 1.3°. So these close conjunctions are destined to occur. For example, the two appeared slightly closer together (though not as high up) before dawn last August 18th, and they'll be separated by about 1° before dawn on the morning of October 26th...
View Quote

Photos of the conjunction.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 4:00:19 PM EDT
[#44]
I think I saw that last night. About 11pm Idaho time. Would it have been in the North - Northwest? I saw the 2, with the one really bright. Went inside for a few, came out and the smaller one was gone. I was thinking maybe it had been a satellite or maybe some cloud cover?
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 4:02:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Is Jesus coming back?  We could use some help here...
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 4:04:01 PM EDT
[#46]
They were actually closer in 1988.

2.2 degrees apart instead of 3.

OP, this happens every 12 years, not every 2013.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 4:11:34 PM EDT
[#47]

While the Venus-Jupiter conjunction is the likely explanation to the SoB, the big deal that peaked the Magi's interest 2000 years ago wasn't just the conjunction, it was how Jupiter behaved, and what houses (constellations) it passed through on the way.

It passed near Regulus (the smaller star you see in the pics to the left of Venus/Jupiter), then went retrograde and passed a second time, then went forward again and passed a third time, all in the constellation of Leo (the Lion). Also, the new moon rose in Virgo (the Virgin), see Rev. 12:1. Then both Jupiter and Venus conjoined to appear as a single bright star.

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 4:22:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Very cool.   Saw this last night and was wondering.  
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 4:43:58 PM EDT
[#49]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Conjunction details.
...In fact, such conjunctions, or close pairings, of these two planets are not particularly rare. The orbit of Venus is tipped just 3.4° with respect to Earth's, Jupiter even less at 1.3°. So these close conjunctions are destined to occur. For example, the two appeared slightly closer together (though not as high up) before dawn last August 18th, and they'll be separated by about 1° before dawn on the morning of October 26th...

Photos of the conjunction.

Heretic!

This has not happened since the birth of a popular god!
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 4:44:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
They were actually closer in 1988.

2.2 degrees apart instead of 3.

OP, this happens every 12 years, not every 2013.
View Quote

Unpossible!!!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top