Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 10:19:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Ok, so rifle rounds, even out of a short barrel, are ballistically superior to handgun loads.  So what is your argument against SBR's then?  

You're being super vague, I'm guessing in an attempt to appear intellectually superior, but you're just making yourself look stupid.  
View Quote

Although the guy you are responding to is either a troll, idiot, or cannot express himself very well, I think there are applications where a pistol caliber weapon would be superior.  Keep in mind I have no le or mil experience so I'm no expert.  But one situation that comes to mind is if you have to be discreet.  You can put s mp5k under your jacket where mk18 would be hard to conceal. Another would be if you were in a ship and ricochets were a concern.  There has to be limited situations where they are still useful or they wouldn't be in the armory any more, right?  Anyone with actual experience please correct me if I'm wrong
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 10:20:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Although the guy you are responding to is either a troll, idiot, or cannot express himself very well, I think there are applications where a pistol caliber weapon would be superior.  Keep in mind I have no le or mil experience so I'm no expert.  But one situation that comes to mind is if you have to be discreet.  You can put s mp5k under your jacket where mk18 would be hard to conceal. Another would be if you were in a ship and ricochets were a concern.  There has to be limited situations where they are still useful or they wouldn't be in the armory any more, right?  Anyone with actual experience please correct me if I'm wrong
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok, so rifle rounds, even out of a short barrel, are ballistically superior to handgun loads.  So what is your argument against SBR's then?  

You're being super vague, I'm guessing in an attempt to appear intellectually superior, but you're just making yourself look stupid.  

They're phenomenal for teaching newbies.

Link Posted: 6/27/2015 10:26:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not saying there aren't certain applications where a PCC can still be useful.  The truth of the matter is though, those situations are few and far between.

Hell, the Mk18 was specifically made for USN VBSS teams because pistol calibers were found to be sub-optimal for ship boarding missions.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 11:33:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I'm not saying there aren't certain applications where a PCC can still be useful.  The truth of the matter is though, those situations are few and far between.

Hell, the Mk18 was specifically made for USN VBSS teams because pistol calibers were found to be sub-optimal for ship boarding missions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good point
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 12:03:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you know more about combat than people whose job is direct action.
Cite where I asserted I did...

And most police departments.

And almost everyone who actually shoot for a living.

Allow me to mock you and your thirteen years of age even more
Is your tac-vest and ballistic helmet chafing you while you sit on your couch?
Maybe you should try some talc.

You know Adriana, this could be an interesting thread. Hell, for all I know, you could really have some salient, on point information to share on the subject. But all you've offered so far are unsupported opinions and snarky replies to people attempting to infer whatever it is that you're unable or unwilling to state plainly. You're coming across as a complete jackass. If that was your goal, than you're excellent at being a volitional jackass.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 1:18:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

lol wat

have you seen what a 5.56 will do at close range?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Rifle caliber carbines are todays 'cool kid' toys, but for most, using a rifle caliber indoors is pretty pointless and can be rather detrimental. Pistol caliber carbines shine indoors and at typical outdoor defensive ranges, it is a shame that so many dismiss and even look down on them. But egos and low self-esteem often trump logic and rational thought.

lol wat

Yep. Carried both, too, and for entry, I'll go with a PCC/ SMG. Been to plenty of autopsies from both, as well. SEEING the aftereffects helps be a LOT more accepting of the benefits of PCCs up close.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 1:24:09 AM EDT
[#7]
I wish I hadn't sold my H&K USC.

It was fun to shoot. The photo is not my rifle.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 1:31:24 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a 9 mm  AR. It's a nice range toy, that's about its extent of intended use. Lots of people like to try it out.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 1:34:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

The Mk18 was developed by/for DEVGRU for that reason. It trickled down to the vanilla teams and the regular Navy guys.

Anyways.... lots of derp in this thread.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 1:37:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 1:38:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I dont shoot home construction materials, I shoot humans.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Rifle caliber carbines are todays 'cool kid' toys, but for most, using a rifle caliber indoors is pretty pointless and can be rather detrimental. Pistol caliber carbines shine indoors and at typical outdoor defensive ranges, it is a shame that so many dismiss and even look down on them. But egos and low self-esteem often trump logic and rational thought.

It could be ego and low self esteem.

Or more extensive testing of pistol and rifle rounds against common home construction materials by pros and amateurs.

Whichever.

lol

derp
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 1:39:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 1:42:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

out of
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 1:43:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Have yo seen what 5.56 will do to your eardrums indoors?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol wat

Have you seen what a pcc will do to your eardrums indoors?
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 1:43:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol wat

Yep, nothing when you are wearing Sordins.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 1:45:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 1:49:47 AM EDT
[#17]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol wat

Actually, no I haven't.

Do tell.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/jerrellwise/Gun%20Pics/0903061410-2.jpg

That thing is junk. I'll do you a favor and give you $50 for it
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 1:50:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Did you make potty in your pants...?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BOOM

Did you make potty in your pants...?

What was your previous username?
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 1:50:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 1:54:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Then there is no way you can argue that a pistol round is better ballistically than a rifle round.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or more extensive testing of pistol and rifle rounds against common home construction materials by pros and amateurs.

Whichever.

Then there is no way you can argue that a pistol round is better ballistically than a rifle round.

You can when your start taking about guns with 5 inch barrels
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 2:01:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

lol wat

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol wat

Not to mention the the penetration of a 147 grain 9mm bullet on common household construction? Read some more  before you talk about logic and rational thought. Lots of material out there showing the benefits and improvements of rifle caliber carbines versus the handgun caliber carbine.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 2:03:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Not to mention the the penetration of a 147 grain 9mm bullet on common household construction? Read some more  before you talk about logic and rational thought. Lots of material out there showing the benefits and improvements of rifle caliber carbines versus the handgun caliber carbine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol wat

My size 10 EEE foot can overpenetrate walls. Rifle and pistol bullets do so even better.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 2:07:14 AM EDT
[#23]
I wonder who's troll account that is. Seven years is a long time to wait, and then just up and go full retard.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 2:12:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Checked in early on page one, hoping to see pics of a small-town deputy butt-stroking some vagrant with his department issued Ruger PC9-complete with an Aimpoint, Surefire X400, can and covered in Magpul jizz. Return to thread. No tacticool Camp Carbines being used as compliance devices against hippies. No worn out MP5/40's covered in Magpul jizz. No goddamn sense.

What I do get is a "contributor" to this thread that doesn't fuck around shooting construction supplies-he evidently shoots the construction workers. At least that was my deduction, the truth is evidently classified...

I got a few seconds of retinal AIDS when somebody attempted to compare Ranger T to 55 grain ball in a fashion that seemed to indicate that the former could somehow be construed as better than the latter.

The auditory experts showed up with their degrees in medicine, science and wizardry to prove that shooting a PCC indoors sans ear pro will make you less Helen Keller than a rifle.

I also got nostalgia, supposition, willfull ignorance and possibly a pile of dead construction workers(with intact building materials) attempting to discredit or otherwise disregard 20+ years of CQB/terminal ballistics study and experience.

I thought "gun guys" knew the performance difference between a rifle and a pistol? This is fucking fantastic. Please carry on

I'm not sure if it's relevant to this thread or not, but years ago there was a picture hanging out there on the line of some operator in Iraq, operating operationally across a bridge with a UMP45. IIRC, it wasn't an A.C.E. guy but a more regular Army guy... Anyone remember seeing this pic or have any additional info/photos of US troops using UMP45's?
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 2:18:00 AM EDT
[#25]

I suppose my Rossi M92 in .45 Colt counts, if a bit old-school for some.

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 2:19:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Checked in early on page one, hoping to see pics of a small-town deputy butt-stroking some vagrant with his department issued Ruger PC9-complete with an Aimpoint, Surefire X400, can and covered in Magpul jizz. Return to thread. No tacticool Camp Carbines being used as compliance devices against hippies. No worn out MP5/40's covered in Magpul jizz. No goddamn sense.

What I do get is a "contributor" to this thread that doesn't fuck around shooting construction supplies-he evidently shoots the construction workers. At least that was my deduction, the truth is evidently classified...

I got a few seconds of retinal AIDS when somebody attempted to compare Ranger T to 55 grain ball in a fashion that seemed to indicate that the former could somehow be construed as better than the latter.

The auditory experts showed up with their degrees in medicine, science and wizardry to prove that shooting a PCC indoors sans ear pro will make you less Helen Keller than a rifle.

I also got nostalgia, supposition, willfull ignorance and possibly a pile of dead construction workers(with intact building materials) attempting to discredit or otherwise disregard 20+ years of CQB/terminal ballistics study and experience.

I thought "gun guys" knew the performance difference between a rifle and a pistol? This is fucking fantastic. Please carry on

I'm not sure if it's relevant to this thread or not, but years ago there was a picture hanging out there on the line of some operator in Iraq, operating operationally across a bridge with a UMP45. IIRC, it wasn't an A.C.E. guy but a more regular Army guy... Anyone remember seeing this pic or have any additional info/photos of US troops using UMP45's?
View Quote

This pic?  

It appears after a quick Google search that those are 5th Group guys in Iraq.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 2:26:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 2:50:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

What's an ACE guy?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
it wasn't an A.C.E. guy but a more regular Army guy... Anyone remember seeing this pic or have any additional info/photos of US troops using UMP45's?

What's an ACE guy?

Pet detective, bro.  Get your shit straight.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 2:52:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Yeah I've read that. I'm standing by what I said.

Not every round is going to hit a wall stud or has to go through multiple walls (or any walls at all) before it finds something you don't want to shoot. Same applies with pistol calibers which can still over penetrate. However, using something like Ranger T out of a MP-5 would give you better chances of damage control to the surroundings (as long as you hit the target) as compared to some 55gr ball ammo out of whatever.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Rifle rounds tend to over penetrate at CQB ranges. Probably not something you want to use if there are innocents close by.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/

Yeah I've read that. I'm standing by what I said.

Not every round is going to hit a wall stud or has to go through multiple walls (or any walls at all) before it finds something you don't want to shoot. Same applies with pistol calibers which can still over penetrate. However, using something like Ranger T out of a MP-5 would give you better chances of damage control to the surroundings (as long as you hit the target) as compared to some 55gr ball ammo out of whatever.

Holyshitpleasestopwiththeinsanityandignoringreality.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 2:55:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They're inordinately fun to shoot (and the ammo is cheaper than 5.56).

Other than that? I got nothing (and I own and adore both an MP5 clone and MP5K clone).
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 3:00:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

lol

derp
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whichever.

lol

derp

Perhaps he is training for a different type of war?  After all, it's just a matter of degrees.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 3:32:56 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Perhaps he is training for a different type of war?  After all, it's just a matter of degrees.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whichever.

lol

derp

Its those fucking barns, isnt it?
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 4:08:24 AM EDT
[#33]
I wouldn't buy one unless I had a 9mm suppressor. Which I intend to in the near future.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 4:14:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Rifle caliber is better than pistol caliber.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 4:17:19 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Exactly
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol wat

Exactly

Exactly what?  It doesn't do shit.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:42:31 AM EDT
[#36]
This thread was my entertainment last night before bed.  I think it needs a bump this morning
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:45:57 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

This pic?  
http://i.imgur.com/3m9orYy.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This pic?  
http://i.imgur.com/3m9orYy.jpg

Dat drop leg doe
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:58:12 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Dat drop leg doe

View Quote

I'd almost guarantee it's crammed with 40mm HEDP to go along with that M79.

It appears he enjoyed carrying oddball weapons just because he could
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 8:27:48 AM EDT
[#39]
PSA has them on sale. Just bought a complete 9mm upper for a pistol build. For fun. about $600 total and all I need is a rear sight.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 8:55:58 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

My size 10 EEE foot can overpenetrate walls. Rifle and pistol bullets do so even better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

lol wat

LOL.  

Three pages, and there's no sexual innuendo for "overpenetration" yet?  

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 9:09:37 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

PSA has them on sale. Just bought a complete 9mm upper for a pistol build. For fun. about $600 total and all I need is a rear sight.
View Quote

PSA has the 9mm kits for $399 delivered.  With a $50 lower, you're running for less than $500.  

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-9-ar-47/psa-16-9mm-1-10-melonite-rifle-kit-no-magazine.html

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 9:21:41 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

PSA has the 9mm kits for $399 delivered.  With a $50 lower, you're running for less than $500.  
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-9-ar-47/psa-16-9mm-1-10-melonite-rifle-kit-no-magazine.html

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I went with the 10.5" barrel and a dedicated 9mm lower So i wouldn't have to mess with a mag block
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 9:29:44 AM EDT
[#43]
I would not want to be in front of this guy.
" />
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 9:32:49 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Unless you've actually shot a short barreled AR indoors, in a small hallway or room with no earpro.  It's so bad that it will make you unconsciously hesitate to pull that trigger again.  Well into the realm of permanent hearing loss.    A PCC (e.g. MP5) sucks too, but can be tolerated.  It can also be suppressed very easily, where a short AR cannot ever be made hearing safe.  

Short AR's are the internet's clown shoes.   Recognize it for what it is.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whichever.

Unless you've actually shot a short barreled AR indoors, in a small hallway or room with no earpro.  It's so bad that it will make you unconsciously hesitate to pull that trigger again.  Well into the realm of permanent hearing loss.    A PCC (e.g. MP5) sucks too, but can be tolerated.  It can also be suppressed very easily, where a short AR cannot ever be made hearing safe.  

Short AR's are the internet's clown shoes.   Recognize it for what it is.  

Derp

Suppressor.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 10:12:58 AM EDT
[#45]
View Quote

Is a team comprised of all Black guys common down there?  I don't think I've ever seen that before...not a negative comment, just never saw it before...interesting.

As for the pistol/ rifle caliber debate going on in this thread...well, imo there's some intelligent insights but the majority posting clearly have no real-world experience fighting with firearms. Not an insult but rather just an objective observation.

In my experience recommendations of adopting rifles vice Sub guns were based on a variety of factors but primarily it was the operational environment.  LE historically worked in a permissive environment. That's to say they generally planned on loading up, arriving at the target and then focused almost exclusively on actions on the objective.  My observations were that there was little-to-no consideration given to security during movement to the objective, battle drills, withdrawal from the objective (post mission), etc...

So as I examined this I began to recommend TTP changes that would also drive some equipment changes. One of these recommendations included officers employing  a long gun that could effectively engage out to 3-400 meters and beyond, if required. Other recommendations were to teach, rehearse and implement basic battle drills such as react to near/far ambush, sniper, etc...

Sounds like militarization of the police, right?

Well ponder a high risk entry op that took place years ago in a large Southern city. The target was an apartment in a massive GOV housing projects...dozens of high rises filled with urbanites,  folks that were less than friendly to the police.

During this op, based on few factors, the entry team had to move quite a distance by foot through the complex. During that movement they took fire twice from quite a distance away. Mind you this wasn't fire from the target apartment but rather just folks that apperantly saw some cops and thought they'd take some shots at them. That's what's going on out there....That's the enviornment that cops work in.  

Luckily the bad guy fire was ineffective and the team didn't engage, they didn't put down suppressive fire, etc.....but, and a big but,  was that had it been appropriate to engage they simply didn't have the means to as every single officer was carrying a MP5.

Now for all of you sub gun fans think about that. Think how well a sub gun does in a semi-permissive environment  where you might take fire on the infil/exfil and might have to engage at 2 or 300 meters. Honestly speaking police will rarely shoot at those distances...just too many variables and police are very prudent to ensure that friendlies don't get hurt. I give them enormous credit for the risks they take in bieng so prudent.  The fact is though, in today's enviornment of lawlessness, they need the tools to do so,  if God forbid, they have to.

Also, as was mentioned by someone in the thread, albeit somewhat flippantly , shooter skill is a significant factor when employing rifles. Rounds need to go where you plan on putting them and training should reflect that.

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 10:37:01 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Im not an 'SOF'....
Nor do I pretend to be one by buying all their 'go fast' gear and then puffing all over the net
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whichever.

If you shot humans, then you would be educated on the subject enough to know why people use rifle calibers these days.

There's a reason 10.3" AR15s are issued to SOF.

Im not an 'SOF'....
Nor do I pretend to be one by buying all their 'go fast' gear and then puffing all over the net

lol
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 10:44:22 AM EDT
[#47]
Boring to shoot and ammo costs about the same or more than rifle ammo.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 10:46:38 AM EDT
[#48]
I would take a PCC over a short barreled AR for home defense any day of the week, mainly due to the intolerable muzzle blast ARs have when fired indoors. For distances of less than 50 feet, I don't see any advantage an AR would have over a PCC like an MP5, except for better penetration of body armor (but seriously, how many burglars are wearing body armor?). Using high quality SD rounds would give you plenty of lethality for short distances, as well as practically nonexistent recoil (granted, an AR doesn't have much recoil either). Yes, I know all the "9mm overpenetrates, 5.56 fragments" herp derp, but I've seen plenty of 5.56 rounds go right through wood, brick, and other construction materials without missing a beat.

PCCs are also very easy to suppress. I shot my SBR'd MP5 yesterday with an Octane 45 and the noise was easily tolerable without ears on.

I know that 5.56 has a much longer engagement range, but how many of you guys are seriously thinking about taking potshots at a fleeing burglar 100 yards away or more in a crowded urban environment?

Now, for a SHTF scenario... I would take an AR every time. The engagement distances have the possibility of being much longer in that kind of situation.

As for the original thread topic, there seem to be a lot of PDs and military organizations still using PCCs. I would see LE agencies being particularly interested in doing so because of the common ammunition between them and issue sidearms.

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:06:12 AM EDT
[#49]
I have a MPX. Its fun as hell for shooting rabbits, steel etc.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:19:23 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Boring to shoot and ammo costs about the same or more than rifle ammo.
View Quote

Lol, no.

SGAmmo
Wolf gold 55 gr brass cased $316 del/1000
Brown Bear 62gr Steel Case $290/1000
Mag tech 9mm 115 gr brass $216 del/1000

Edited for clarity.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top