BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 131
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:48:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It is very true that the tides will rise and fall.  The amount of leverage in the system could make this fall quite substantial.  That margin deflation is going to be brutal.

http://www.advisorperspectives.com/dshort/charts/markets/NYSE-margin-debt-SPX-since-1995-inverted.gif

http://www.advisorperspectives.com/dshort/charts/markets/NYSE-investor-credit-SPX-since-1980.gif

More info here.

View Quote

Rut ro!

If I'm reading that right, margin calls are coming due, which will prompt more selling - but from retail?

There's a lot of institutional cash on the sidelines right now, so whose negative credit (one segment/all segments?) does that chart reflect?

Jim
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:34:28 AM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:47:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
[url]http://stockcharts.com/def/servlet/SharpChartv05.ServletDriver?c=%24SPX,PWTADANRNO[PA][D][F1!3!!!2!20]&r=6732&pnf=y[/url]

View Quote

I'm guessing that's not good based on the 0s on the last row and downward trend.?  If that's from today, I'd guess it means that although we're in green, its not good.

Am I close?
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:24:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:41:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I'm guessing that's not good based on the 0s on the last row and downward trend.?  If that's from today, I'd guess it means that although we're in green, its not good.

Am I close?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
[url]http://stockcharts.com/def/servlet/SharpChartv05.ServletDriver?c=%24SPX,PWTADANRNO[PA][D][F1!3!!!2!20]&r=6732&pnf=y[/url]

Am I close?

Actually today's price action so far hasn't been significant.   The chart pattern of interest is the high pole warning, which was established by yesterday's price action.   You can google "high pole warning" if you'd like to read more about it.  

Suffice to say, the trend is down.  The market made almost a perfect fibonacci retracement from last weeks lows, and then failed to move higher.  Yesterday it broke down as demand collapsed, and the "high pole warning" pattern was formed.  

What I expect, is another attempt to move higher, followed by yet another breakdown.  This pattern will continue until either supply wins or demand wins.  But typically in this kind of situation, we eventually break for lower lows.  So the odds are good that we see new 52 week lows next.  

But we'll see.  

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:40:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Peak spanakopita is real...

Oops- bizarre cut/paste fiasco is oddly relevant in a thread that started with Greek debt.

Carry on.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:42:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Shepard Smith was just ranting about Chinese troop movements causing the last minute sell-off.
View Quote

He is a great source of info...on pole smoking. I'm not sure I'd take economic advice from the mentally ill.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:59:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Actually today's price action so far hasn't been significant.   The chart pattern of interest is the high pole warning, which was established by yesterday's price action.   You can google "high pole warning" if you'd like to read more about it.  

Suffice to say, the trend is down.  The market made almost a perfect fibonacci retracement from last weeks lows, and then failed to move higher.  Yesterday it broke down as demand collapsed, and the "high pole warning" pattern was formed.  

What I expect, is another attempt to move higher, followed by yet another breakdown.  This pattern will continue until either supply wins or demand wins.  But typically in this kind of situation, we eventually break for lower lows.  So the odds are good that we see new 52 week lows next.  

But we'll see.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Am I close?

But we'll see.  

Continued down trend = crybaby longs taking it in the pants.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:01:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:04:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:20:12 PM EDT
[#11]
I love this market going up again, so I can buy inverse again.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:01:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

are you going to add anything constructive to the thread, or are you just another of the plethora of wanna-be gangsta ARFCOMers trolling for kneejerk responses?

ps
crybaby shorts took it in the general scrotal area for the past 8 years -- now there is market volatility and they are running around like they won the superbowl.  

i'm searching for a term...

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:54:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

are you going to add anything constructive to the thread, or are you just another of the plethora of wanna-be gangsta ARFCOMers trolling for kneejerk responses?

ps
crybaby shorts took it in the general scrotal area for the past 8 years -- now there is market volatility and they are running around like they won the superbowl.  

ar-jedi

http://hencam.com/static/uploads/2013/05/clown-car.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ps

ar-jedi

You don't understand how to flip from long to short. But I understand how old school buy and hold investors are brainwashed to never sell.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:00:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I love this market going up again, so I can buy inverse again.
View Quote

Still haven't seen pics of your yacht. Do you sell a subscription service, you seem to time every move perfectly.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:01:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You don't understand how to flip from long to short. But I understand how old school buy and hold investors are brainwashed to never sell.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ps

ar-jedi

Yes, and your timing is impeccable. You've traded every move the past 7 years perfectly. Probably all with leveraged ETFs and weekly options.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:03:09 PM EDT
[#16]
I have grown to love two words....

Short squeeze.

Eventually everyone has to cover.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:58:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Come on guys.  I enjoy discussing the market, and economy.  I also enjoy a good heated debate, but when it comes to the financial markets, there really is no "team".

I much prefer bull markets.  Bear markets are brutal, hard, and much more difficult to play. Even though I believe we'll hit another leg down, I'm only slightly bearish now.   We make most of our money on the turns.  When you get into the kind of slug fest between supply and demand waves, like we are in now, you'd be a fool to bet too heavy on a decline.  

Anything can and does happen.  It's better to be neutral.  You can be burned buy all sorts of things.  

I don't believe this an "economic collapse".  I don't believe we're going to experience "financial armageddon".  ...at least I don't see any indications for that right now.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:07:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Come on guys.  I enjoy discussing the market, and economy.  I also enjoy a good heated debate, but when it comes to the financial markets, there really is no "team".

I much prefer bull markets.  Bear markets are brutal, hard, and much more difficult to play. Even though I believe we'll hit another leg down, I'm only slightly bearish now.   We make most of our money on the turns.  When you get into the kind of slug fest between supply and demand waves, like we are in now, you'd be a fool to bet too heavy on a decline.  

Anything can and does happen.  It's better to be neutral.  You can be burned buy all sorts of things.  

I don't believe this an "economic collapse".  I don't believe we're going to experience "financial armageddon".  ...at least I don't see any indications for that right now.

View Quote

Well look around...

They're right in front of your nose!

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:25:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm on "Team Undefined's Land Needs a Road and Undefined Needs a Transferable HK Auto Sear"

The second half of the team name is silent when spoken aloud near the Mrs.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:22:09 AM EDT
[#20]
I made a whole $80 yesterday.

Guess that's. better than losing $80.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 2:01:07 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View Quote

You've been a lone bright spot in a sea of idiots within this thread, so thank you for actually discussing the market as opposed to needless hyperbole.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 2:32:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

You've been a lone bright spot in a sea of idiots within this thread, so thank you for actually discussing the market as opposed to needless hyperbole.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1. Folks tend to react emotionally if they think they're about to lose a bunch of money.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:21:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

+1. Folks tend to react emotionally if they think they're about to lose a bunch of money.

View Quote

I'm not so sure.

But I do think people become emotional when feeling insecure, and I think there is a lot of insecurity today.  Unlike a generation ago, people can't really rely on the idea of having one career or job that's going to carry them to "retirement".   The idea of a "working hard salvation" isn't as secure as it once was.  Working hard, and in some cases smart, might not save you.   Things are a little more tenuous today.  And with consumer debt levels so much higher today, most folks can't really sustain much of a hiccup in their household incomes.  

It tends to make them more emotional.

But when it comes to reality.  It's not really subject to debate.  It is what it is.  You can't "win" an internet debate and change reality.  What is going to happen will happen.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 6:53:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Futures this AM aren't looking great.  

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 7:21:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Market is going to be down today. Traders are afraid the BOC is going to devalue again on Monday when are markets are closed. Today will be a pre-emptive sell-off in anticipation of that.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 12:02:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pleeeeaase...  There's like what? 25+ pages of BTFDers acting like foolish idiots trashing the OP and now suddenly that it's crystal clear this is more than just a little dip, you expect/want to ride people for not "contributing"?  Gimme a f-ing break.  

And you can go ahead and lump yourself in with the later group of ARFCOMers that you refer to...

And whoever made the comment about people acting like idiots when they start getting scared of losing money, is spot on.  There's been all kinds of lashing out from BTFDers in the last 10+ pages.

And to the hedge fund / yacht guy (BTW, you really need to start working on better comebacks)...why don't you go ahead and post up pics of your yacht and hedge fund balance sheet first, since you feel so compelled to ask others for theirs?  I'll be waiting...  lol

Edit: Since the below 2 charts amazingly received so little commentary just a few posts back, I figured it was worth explicitly asking the question this time... Who is planning on ignoring these charts outright?

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 12:35:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Uh, what charts???

The folks who think they can derive what they need to know to successfully invest...

From TECHNICAL ANALYSIS...

Reading famous books...

Witchcraft...

Star gazing...

Buy and holding...

Applying Hi-IQ logic...

HAHAHA!

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 2:21:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Uh, what charts???

The folks who think they can derive what they need to know to successfully invest...

Reading famous books...

Witchcraft...

Star gazing...

Buy and holding...

Applying Hi-IQ logic...

HAHAHA!

View Quote

"...Technical analysis, reading books, witchcraft, stargazing, buy and hold, applying intelligence, and logic ....hahaha!"

(I know I'm going to regret this, but I have to ask)

What are you saying?  

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 2:23:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

"...Technical analysis, reading books, witchcraft, stargazing, buy and hold, applying intelligence, and logic ....hahaha!"

What are you saying?  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Uh, what charts???

Reading famous books...

Witchcraft...

Star gazing...

Buy and holding...

Applying Hi-IQ logic...

HAHAHA!

What are you saying?  

Jibba-jabba
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 2:26:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

At a glance it's hard to say if the X's or O's are winning.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 2:27:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 2:33:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

What are you saying?  

View Quote

You didn't back his "the sky is falling" attitude, so he has to discredit your knowledge and expertise.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 2:42:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

What are you saying?  

View Quote

I see this is your first run in with expy37.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 2:54:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Look at the half dozenish posts above.  That represents a cross section of this forum that heartily disagrees with each other on nearly everything.  When they come together in agreement to acknowledge that someone is 'tarded, that means something.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:10:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's really not a bad assessment at this point.  

We've not broken to new lows so the "O's" aren't "winning".  We also haven't broken the range to the upside, so the "X's" aren't "winning" either.  

We're under a resistance line, so it's more likely the "O's" will eventually win, and we'll break to new lows.  That's supported somewhat by the fact that the intermediate bullish waves have been producing receding subsequent highs.  Keep in mind this particular charting tool is just isolating the price action.   That's all it's good for, nothing else.  It doesn't consider time or trading volume variables.  

I choose to use Point and Figure charts in this thread because I think it's a fairly easy system to learn and use.  

It's not really a great charting system for "traders", but it's a very useful tool for long-term investors who are simply trying to manage risk, and apply a discipline within their portfolios and investing.  There are fantastic books and online resources to learn the basics of this charting technique and I think every investor should pick it up.  

One problem with my posts is that the charts I'm posting are "live" charts, not snapshots.  So in each post you'll notice they are updating, rendering any commentary I made about a particular price pattern useless.  

For example a couple of pages back I talked about the charting pattern "pole warning", the chart no longer shows a "pole warning" (chart patterns are temporary) so anyone who might view that post now or in the future might wonder what the hell I was talking about.   Months from now, if we're breaking to new highs the charts and commentary will look particularly confusing.  

I guess I should have taken snapshots, and posted the screen image to photobucket or some such service and then used them in the posts.   But that was just a lot more work.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:53:06 PM EDT
[#36]
In your face.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:59:51 PM EDT
[#37]

Please try to be polite.  This is a good thread.  Let's not get it locked with childish drama.  There is plenty of that on other forums if you want to insult others.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 4:09:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Wife did amazingly well buying and selling calls on amazon today.
Love the volatility.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 4:16:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

You're wasting your time.
View Quote

I would like EXP to just say what he believes.  As far as I can tell he believes there is some sort of One World Order, generational conspiracy running in the background, and that we're all just pawns of its "agents".  He alludes to his "superior" knowledge of "the plan" and its "agents".  But any time I've asked for clarification of his theory he avoids direct answers.  He never names names, or gives details of the "plan".  Except to say it's the "planned destruction" of America, or the middle class, or something to that effect, and then uses a lot of emoticons.  

I really don't want to insult the guy, I like to debate ideas, but I find his ambiguous comments very frustrating.  The fact that he consistently, albeit indirectly, insults other's posts or ideas only adds to the frustration.  

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 4:20:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The fact that he consistently, albeit indirectly, insults other's posts or ideas only adds to the frustration.  
View Quote

Which is his intent, to frustrate people. Don't let it get under your skin, recognize his posting style for what it is and move on.

I'll echo others comments thanking you for your commentary in this thread.  Always interesting to see what others are thinking/doing instead of watching the purses swing.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 4:20:45 PM EDT
[#41]
I too am liking the volatility. I have a strategy that seems to be working out quite well for now. I'm not making a killing, but i am seeing respectable gains.

I find the market fascinating but there is so much that i don't know. Can anyone point me to some good trading resources. I want to learn!

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 4:22:58 PM EDT
[#42]
When i grow up, i want to trade like an HFT algo!
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 4:32:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Which is his intent, to frustrate people. Don't let it get under your skin, recognize his posting style for what it is and move on.

I'll echo others comments thanking you for your commentary in this thread.  Always interesting to see what others are thinking/doing instead of watching the purses swing.
View Quote

Same.  

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 4:47:31 PM EDT
[#44]
The fox is in the hen house, the fox is in the hen house.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 4:50:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I too am liking the volatility. I have a strategy that seems to be working out quite well for now. I'm not making a killing, but i am seeing respectable gains.

I find the market fascinating but there is so much that i don't know. Can anyone point me to some good trading resources. I want to learn!

View Quote

We pay for these guys but can get allot for free. Both of them said to go to cash before the crash happened.
hedgeye.com follow Keiths twitter account he gives out allot of free advise. https://twitter.com/KeithMcCullough
zacks.com/
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 5:17:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

What are you saying?  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Uh, what charts???

Reading famous books...

Witchcraft...

Star gazing...

Buy and holding...

Applying Hi-IQ logic...

HAHAHA!

What are you saying?  

No you won't regret it...  

What I'm saying is that for HUNDREDS of years ----that 'Markets' have existed...

Folks have thought they had or have a  'Market Trading SYSTEM'...

History is REPLETE with them---  

Technical...

Charting...

Star Gazing...

Moving Average...

Swing Trading...

Algorithms...

The list is endless...

How many of those folks have much more than a shiny pot to piss in???

When the above is pointed out, folks who have their Normalcy Bias [and financial FUTURE] heavily invested in the 'Market'

Get a little PISSY, when someone THREATENS their long term beliefs.

If folks look around, generally they'll notice that the folks making the BIG money, are they ones handling the trades for the rest.

YMMV

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 5:18:34 PM EDT
[#47]
... I skim off nice profits when times are high, and simply lay low (or buy) at times like these
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 5:27:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
... I skim off nice profits when times are high, and simply lay low (or buy) at times like these
View Quote

Your method is about the simplest for all practical purposes...

And likely one of the BEST!

Too many like to OVER-THINK the markets --and how many have prevailed significantly???

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 5:34:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I would like EXP to just say what he believes.  As far as I can tell he believes there is some sort of One World Order, generational conspiracy running in the background, and that we're all just pawns of its "agents".  He alludes to his "superior" knowledge of "the plan" and its "agents".  But any time I've asked for clarification of his theory he avoids direct answers.  He never names names, or gives details of the "plan".  Except to say it's the "planned destruction" of America, or the middle class, or something to that effect, and then uses a lot of emoticons.  

I really don't want to insult the guy, I like to debate ideas, but I find his ambiguous comments very frustrating.  The fact that he consistently, albeit indirectly, insults other's posts or ideas only adds to the frustration.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're wasting your time.

The Beauty part is, that even if it were true, there's money to be made by people like you; who have a particular set of skills.  

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 5:39:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

No you won't regret it...  

What I'm saying is that for HUNDREDS of years ----that 'Markets' have existed...

Folks have thought they had or have a  'Market Trading SYSTEM'...

History is REPLETE with them---  

Technical...

Charting...

Star Gazing...

Moving Average...

Swing Trading...

Algorithms...

The list is endless...

How many of those folks have much more than a shiny pot to piss in???

When the above is pointed out, folks who have their Normalcy Bias [and financial FUTURE] heavily invested in the 'Market'

Get a little PISSY, when someone THREATENS their long term beliefs.

If folks look around, generally they'll notice that the folks making the BIG money, are they ones handling the trades for the rest.

YMMV

View Quote

Technical analysis isn't a "trading system", nor are charts, or moving averages.  They're just tools to organize data.  

Technical analysis is no more a "trading system" then mathematics is engineering.   Moving averages are just, moving averages.  "Algorithms" are just a procedure for solving problems.  

How do you organize data, and handle reality? How do you attempt to remain objective and avoid "normalcy bias".  

Page / 131
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top