Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 131
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:57:37 AM EDT
[#1]
My feeling is we have too much debt and its over the top,  all in long is a bet that we keep expanding the debt.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 3:13:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My feeling is we have too much debt and its over the top,  all in long is a bet that we keep expanding the debt.
View Quote

We have no other choice, unless we want to plunge this country into an incredible turmoil.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:44:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Bump for more Doomer disappointment on Monday™

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:46:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:53:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Lock and load!!!

This is the REAL Monday this time.....

Srsly, no, I mean it this time, fer sher!!
View Quote

WE'VE BEEN WARNED!!
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:47:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:48:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Ban Mondays.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:51:39 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Dip buyers got killed

Bye bye market
View Quote

One day you'll be right.

Doesn't look like today is that day.
View Quote

Felt the need to repost this.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:59:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Ban Mondays.  
View Quote

For the chilluns
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:11:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Did someone say the market was having another clearance sale tomorrow?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:15:54 PM EDT
[#11]
This week should be really fun.   Lots and lots of volatility, and maybe a surprise or two.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:53:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 5:34:25 PM EDT
[#13]

There are a lot positive headwinds going into this week.  We had favorable comments from two different fed governors regarding interest rates, and we had the BEA's upward revision on the second quarter GDP number to a very respectable 3.7%.   Also the Chinese have come out this weekend saying that China is still experiencing respectable growth (take that for what its worth), not to mention the run up in oil on Friday.  

This coming week we have PMI and PSM numbers coming out, with slight declines baked into the expectation for both. and we have the Feds Beige Book release on Wednesday the 2nd at 2 PM.  The unemployment numbers coming out for August come out on Friday, with .1 % decline in the unemployment rate forecast.  

Technically speaking I still believe the market will see new 52 week lows before we see new 52 week highs again.   But it's a wide range.  I think this is going to be a volatile week coming up, continuing the theme of what we saw last week.   So buckle up, it's going to be a fun ride.  

As for this thread I'm sure both sides will be able to goad the other at different points this week.  ...but I'm only going on fundamental observation, so take it for what it's worth.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 5:36:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

As for this thread I'm sure both sides will be able to goad the other at different points this week.  ...
View Quote

Which is why the day to day stuff for the vast majority of us who aren't day traders is sillier than 9 vs 45.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:25:11 PM EDT
[#15]
The recent volatility has been rather fun.

Stocks that were in a funk are now moving. It has shaken things up and made some boring positions more exciting.

I'm hoping to unload a bit more and pick up a few more undervalued long term positions.

I wonder if the ETF pricing system will be fixed before the next flash crash.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:41:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Stocks that were in a funk are now moving. It has shaken things up and made some boring positions more exciting.

I'm hoping to unload a bit more and pick up a few more undervalued long term positions.

View Quote

There really isn't anything to "fix".  

ETF's and closed-end mutual funds have two prices.  You have the net asset value of the fund itself, that's based on the securities it holds, but then you have a market price of the ETF or closed-end at which it trades on the open market (price you pay), which can and does trade at a discount or premium to NAV.  Open-end mutual funds don't share this problem because they only price at close based on NAV.  Purchases and sales aren't made during the trading day.  They're settled after close.  

So in a volatile market ETF's and closed-ends will have wider divergences from their market price, and their NAV.   This can be exaggerated in thinly traded ETFs and closed-ends.  It'll be somewhat less of a factor on widely traded securities, or those funds and ETF's with bigger floats.  

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:59:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

ETF's and closed-end mutual funds have two prices.  You have the net asset value of the fund itself, that's based on the securities it holds, but then you have a market price of the ETF or closed-end at which it trades on the open market (price you pay), which can and does trade at a discount or premium to NAV.  Open-end mutual funds don't share this problem because they only price at close based on NAV.  Purchases and sales aren't made during the trading day.  They're settled after close.  

So in a volatile market ETF's and closed-ends will have wider divergences from their market price, and their NAV.   This can be exaggerated in thinly traded ETFs and closed-ends.  It'll be somewhat less of a factor on widely traded securities, or those funds and ETF's with bigger floats.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you miss the story about SunGard's outage / glitch last week?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:09:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I hope we all survive tomorrow's impending collapse.

Godspeed everyone!!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lock and load!!!

This is the REAL Monday this time.....

Srsly, no, I mean it this time, fer sher!!

I hope we all survive tomorrow's impending collapse.

Godspeed everyone!!!

I already ate your neighbors.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:17:22 PM EDT
[#19]
13 hours until markets open. It's been good while it lasted brothers. I'll be popping a bottle of 50 year old scotch lighting my finest cigar and watching this ship sink.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:18:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
13 hours until markets open. It's been good while it lasted brothers. I'll be popping a bottle of 50 year old scotch lighting my finest cigar and watching this ship sink.
View Quote

Futures are down 172 points right now.

Tomorrow might have some sale prices.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:23:14 PM EDT
[#21]

Just tells me there's awesome opportunities after the big falls.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:23:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Is it still happening?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:25:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Good luck. I'm sure the small investors will get hammered. There's more than one way to steal your 401K.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 5:57:51 AM EDT
[#24]
It's (not) happening
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 6:38:54 AM EDT
[#25]
The OP's crucial mistake was the title of his thread.

With that said, all those mocking him are "more wrong" then he was.  At least, as far as financial results go. ...and isn't that all that matters?

Let's assume you all followed his advice way back in June, and went to cash.   Right now you'd be about 6% better off.  IF you had shorted the market using one of the readily available inverse ETF's, the difference between "buy and hold" would have been about 12-24%.  ...even now, after last weeks positive price move.  

Maybe that's not a "collapse", but it isn't too bad either.  

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 7:59:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

With that said, all those mocking him are "more wrong" then he was.  At least, as far as financial results go. ...and isn't that all that matters?

Let's assume you all followed his advice way back in June, and went to cash.   Right now you'd be about 6% better off.  IF you had shorted the market using one of the readily available inverse ETF's, the difference between "buy and hold" would have been about 12-24%.  ...even now, after last weeks positive price move.  

View Quote

Absolute horseshit.    nobody that mocked him said the market was going up.  He was mocked on his exact words, not how much better of you'd be if you followed his advice.  If you just want to throw a dart and pick a spot in time, I'd guarantee a long term investor with real allocation strategies will always beat some dork who thinks they can time the market over the long haul.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 8:04:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
It's (not) happening
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 8:39:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

These people have been this same thing for the last 5 years. So they have been right the whole time and we would have been better off following their advice all along?

Just because a broken clock finally displayed the correct time doesn't mean that it is worth relying on.

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 8:42:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Absolute horseshit.    nobody that mocked him said the market was going up.  He was mocked on his exact words, not how much better of you'd be if you followed his advice.  If you just want to throw a dart and pick a spot in time, I'd guarantee a long term investor with real allocation strategies will always beat some dork who thinks they can time the market over the long haul.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bet you sell Mutual Funds for Edward Jones, on second thought I am sure, because you used " I'd guarantee" in your reply.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:59:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I bet you sell Mutual Funds for Edward Jones, on second thought I am sure, because you used " I'd guarantee" in your reply.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are just as wrong on this, as you have been everything else.    Failure seems to be your style
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:05:51 AM EDT
[#31]
So, my retirement strategy calls for me to take the cash I have sitting out and buy at the absolute bottom.  Either that, or I have to call the apocalypse in advance and buy into some apocalyptic-era screamer that will bring me unimagined riches while the world collapses around me and I am on the defensive perimeter.  (So it can't take a lot of monitoring on my part.)

My previous strategy to win the PowerBall hasn't been working out.

Let me know, okay?
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:34:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm just a broke college kid making my own observations and mocking those that keep doubling down. [BD
As far as I'm concerned I don't have a horse in the race at this time. I still getting him trained up.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:35:20 AM EDT
[#33]
This thread is awesome!
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:42:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
So, my retirement strategy calls for me to take the cash I have sitting out and buy at the absolute bottom.  Either that, or I have to call the apocalypse in advance and buy into some apocalyptic-era screamer that will bring me unimagined riches while the world collapses around me and I am on the defensive perimeter.  (So it can't take a lot of monitoring on my part.)

My previous strategy to win the PowerBall hasn't been working out.

Let me know, okay?
View Quote

LOL. same boat but I don't play the lottery.
I expect QE4 is coming but calling the bottom is tough.
Thinking of buying a few hundred p-mags for resale. Where to go for a bulk deal?
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:43:38 AM EDT
[#35]
No rate hike, QE4 going to be announced. Everybody trade on my wisdom and be sure to send a check when you make it big.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:51:38 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Can you give some insight as to the recent trend of openning low and then recovering by lunch? Seems to be happening a lot lately.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:59:45 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
It's (not) happening
View Quote

Don't follow the MSM and the decline is a slow fuse.  

Baltic Dry Index is down (which means imports of raw materials to China and export of produced goods from China is down).
Previously it took six months for China to  dump $150 billion in US Treasuries.  After China devalued the RenMinBi/Yuan, they dumped $100 billion in two weeks time. The acceleration of sale is giving us hidden QE.  
True unemployment is double digits (about 23%) and new jobs are part time service industry jobs instead of production jobs, trade (im)balance means an ever weakening dollar.  
Student loan defaults are increasing and college age kids realize that it grows increasingly difficult to land a middle class paying job that will help them pay off their loan.
Americans who are dependent on the government is over 48 million.
Race war being stirred up and this will result in martial law.

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:28:56 PM EDT
[#38]

Anyone know what website or tool created this graphic?  

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 2:03:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

http://finviz.com/map.ashx
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 2:18:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Ah have a little ways to go yet.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 2:51:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Can you give some insight as to the recent trend of openning low and then recovering by lunch? Seems to be happening a lot lately.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Overall, I believe it's a typical fibonacci retracement pattern.  It's not that uncommon to notice them after large moves.

With that said, we've had some , positive economic news and comments.

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 4:13:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Overall, I believe it's a typical fibonacci retracement pattern.  It's not that uncommon to notice them after large moves.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 5:03:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Baltic Dry Index is down (which means imports of raw materials to China and export of produced goods from China is down).
Previously it took six months for China to  dump $150 billion in US Treasuries.  After China devalued the RenMinBi/Yuan, they dumped $100 billion in two weeks time. The acceleration of sale is giving us hidden QE.  
True unemployment is double digits (about 23%) and new jobs are part time service industry jobs instead of production jobs, trade (im)balance means an ever weakening dollar.  
Student loan defaults are increasing and college age kids realize that it grows increasingly difficult to land a middle class paying job that will help them pay off their loan.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's (not) happening

Why not just quote the Zerohedge article this was copied from?
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 5:31:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's (not) happening

Dude... It's a slow burn.

So slow that it's been burning for more than 30 years... and all those people who have "made money" are either liars or government stooges since the game is all rigged and stuff.

Excuse me, got a mason jar of silver dollars I need to bury in the back yard while the cloud cover obscures the sattelites and black helicopters...
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:47:26 PM EDT
[#45]
It's almost a nervous twitch, the way people react in this thread.   ...it's religious.  

Assuming that growth is forever, is ridiculous.  It's never occurred in nature. Looking at a graph and seeing perpetual growth is the equivalent of seeing perpetual motion, it's nuts.

We will see new lows in this market, before we see new highs.  Let me be clear.  We will NOT see a new 52 week high BEFORE we see a 52 week low.  

I stand by that observation.   Those that think your mutual funds and variable annuity subaccounts (TSA's) are about to make new highs are wrong.

Besides, why do you think we'll make new highs?  Because you've experienced it in the past?  Because you think so?   Why now?

Because our population is growing?  Because more people are working for government and government dependent jobs?  Because the majority has the credit rating, or facility, to borrow themselves a better life, or lifestyle, driving higher aggregate demand?  What are the drivers?  Workforce participation,  increased productivity, higher household incomes?   I really want to know.  

...it's not going to happen.  Next up, new lows.  

That's a bold prediction.  But I stand by it.  

(I've been drinking wine....lots and lots of wine)
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:03:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
It's almost a nervous twitch, the way people react in this thread.   ...it's religious.  

Assuming that growth is forever, is ridiculous.  
View Quote

Point out ONE person who stated anything like that in this thread.   ONE.

You wont.  Because you made it up.  It is a figment of your imagination.

What is it about you guys, that think ANY mockery of such constant doom and gloom, or date calling, means you are a forever-long or a pumper?  Most people posting in this thread I'd say are rather balanced.  It is statements like you made that bring out the ridiculousness.  The rest of us fully understand the market goes up, and the market goes down, there is boom and bust, bull and bear..... and over the long term, it has historically always performed well for long term investors who manage their asset allocations according to their age/risk/need/want (i.e.... investment goals)

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:03:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Assuming that growth is forever, is ridiculous.  It's never occurred in nature. Looking at a graph and seeing perpetual growth is the equivalent of seeing perpetual motion, it's nuts.

We will see new lows in this market, before we see new highs.  Let me be clear.  We will NOT see a new 52 week high BEFORE we see a 52 week low.  

I stand by that observation.   Those that think your mutual funds and variable annuity subaccounts (TSA's) are about to make new highs are wrong.

Besides, why do you think we'll make new highs?  Because you've experienced it in the past?  Because you think so?   Why now?

Because our population is growing?  Because more people are working for government and government dependent jobs?  Because the majority has the credit rating, or facility, to borrow themselves a better life, or lifestyle, driving higher aggregate demand?  What are the drivers?  Workforce participation,  increased productivity, higher household incomes?   I really want to know.  

...it's not going to happen.  Next up, new lows.  

That's a bold prediction.  But I stand by it.  

(I've been drinking wine....lots and lots of wine)
View Quote

Quoted in case you feel differently when sober.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:13:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Most people posting in this thread I'd say are rather balanced.
View Quote

O RLY?  

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:25:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

another ARFCOM'er guaranteed me on the price of silver...

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1670086__2000_to_invest__Update_on_page_5_.html&page=1#i49556017

oh i won't forget about this one either...

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_17/676681_The_best_way_to_buy_large_amounts_of_silver_gold_without_compromising_your_OPSEC.html&page=5#i11574395

i reiterate from page 13 of this mess: below, a beautiful picture from my recent visit to The Market Timer's Hall of Fame.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:34:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Marketwatch...

Worst Aug in almost 2 decades...

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/dow-posts-worst-august-decline-in-17-years-2015-08-31

Re timing VARIOUS markets  [not necessarily financials, and not exclusive of them].

Worked for me very well, to the tune of a lot. JUST by TIMING.

No ---I've haven't EVER had significant losses. Except missed OPPORTUNITY ones. Those opportunities I missed [mostly financial markets] would be in the 10's of 'lot's'

Have I EVER lost any sleep over it?  Nope.  

Hardly ever thought abt it.

I like all the 'talk' by folks who are fancy investors,  theoreticians, technicians, folks with family in the biz, buy and holders, etc, etc...  What have they had in returns the past 10, 20, 30,  years...

Starting from SCRATCH???

How well off are they???

Are they 'independent', or go to a job every day?

Are they MOSTLY  --talk?

All this said--- I DO expect significant losses EVENTUALLY, once the .gov 'steals' my $$$ or when institutions collapse  [2nd, 3rd, etc, party risk that's VERY hard to control] --or something like that.

Knock on wood...  

Page / 131
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top