Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 131
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 4:33:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Is anyone in this thread claiming to be a "stock guru"? . ... other than the OP of course.

I just laugh at the people who make ludicrous predictions about the markets, when they clearly don't understand the underlying realities.  Like the doomers who claimed that QE would never end, and that IF it was ever ended, the economy would collapse.  It was particularly funny to see people still making those claims about six months after QE ended.  

For the record, I have never given ANY investment advice on ar15.com, other than advising people that they cannot beat the street in the long run.  I'm just a boring index fund and diversified portfolio guy myself, with some silver and cash in the safe.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Must buy the dips, ARFCOM stauk gurus have you covered dont worry

Hahaha.

I combed this thread looking for any meaningful insight from you and have seen nothing...

Its going to test 17,165 support area.

But don't worry, ARFCOM stock gurus only know one thing, BTFD.

Is anyone in this thread claiming to be a "stock guru"? . ... other than the OP of course.

I just laugh at the people who make ludicrous predictions about the markets, when they clearly don't understand the underlying realities.  Like the doomers who claimed that QE would never end, and that IF it was ever ended, the economy would collapse.  It was particularly funny to see people still making those claims about six months after QE ended.  

For the record, I have never given ANY investment advice on ar15.com, other than advising people that they cannot beat the street in the long run.  I'm just a boring index fund and diversified portfolio guy myself, with some silver and cash in the safe.

But shouldn't you have guns in the safe instead? Cash can't spend itself sitting in that little darkroom you economy breaker you.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 4:38:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Greek talks have failed, EU is scrambling to do damage control

This is going to be bad.

I predict DOW goes to 10,000 minimum

I hope everyone sold all their stocks on Friday
View Quote

whats funny is you got poo poo'ed and they halted trading today due to a "glitch"
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 4:47:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Who's this person who claims stock guru-hood? You seem to be really mad at him but I can't find him in the thread.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hahaha.

I combed this thread looking for any meaningful insight from you and have seen nothing...

Who's this person who claims stock guru-hood? You seem to be really mad at him but I can't find him in the thread.

Thats funny I thought you were one, the way you told me I was definitely wrong on the topping out.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 4:51:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 4:55:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Thats funny I thought you were one, the way you told me I was definitely wrong on the topping out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hahaha.

Post pictures of your yacht that you shorted the market at the top from.

Market will correct sometime. We all agree on that. Maybe it's this time, maybe it's not. No one knows, and no one can time it. I thought we had topped out around 15,000 and sold off some mutual funds, wish I hadn't done that.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 4:59:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hahaha.

Not me...people smarter than me get my money to do that on my behalf.

...but I can read a chart. I suspected you were wrong and...yep, you certainly were. Agreed?
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 5:39:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Thumper

On page five I went short.

On page seven I stated "A close below 17635 would open up a test of 17164".

On page twelve I stated " This market topped out in March " and you told me I was wrong.

You stated it peaked in May, I said May " was a failed breakout on terrible volume"

So now I stand by my number of 17164 area as a support area. A break below 17164 it could catch some support around 17,075, if that fails we are looking at 16,100 area.

So how are you reading the chart?

Link Posted: 7/8/2015 10:09:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Not me...people smarter than me get my money to do that on my behalf.
View Quote

Exactly.  And I listen to those folks when they offer advice, pay attention to what's going on, and try to make informed decisions.  Apparently those folks and all their years of experience mean something, since I keep having to write quarterly checks to the IRS.

Looking for value and "buying low" is just part of the "buy low, sell high" philosophy some would call the doctrine of common sense.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 10:12:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
But shouldn't you have guns in the safe instead? Cash can't spend itself sitting in that little darkroom you economy breaker you.
View Quote

my $8/oz silver is the "pirate treasure" my kids play with... unfortunately, they don't play pirate anymore, so it has to be stored somewhere....
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 11:06:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Actually he got the wrong stock market. China is down like 30%, their entire economy is in trouble.    

China heading for their version of 1929 market crash
ww.telegraph.co.uk/finance/china-business/11725236/The-really-worrying-financial-crisis-is-happening-in-China-not-Greece.html

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Off by 10 days????????

Actually he got the wrong stock market. China is down like 30%, their entire economy is in trouble.    

ww.telegraph.co.uk/finance/china-business/11725236/The-really-worrying-financial-crisis-is-happening-in-China-not-Greece.html

that's some detailed insight ya got there -- when their market is STILL UP about 70% over the past year.  

as DK-Prof says, lol.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/07/upshot/how-to-make-sense-of-chinas-plummeting-stock-market.html

The chart shows how easy it is to frame market data in a way that sounds either scary or benign, depending on your inclination. “The Chinese stock market has dropped 32 percent in a month” is scary. “The Chinese stock market is up 70 percent over the last year” sounds great. Both are true.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 7/8/2015 11:11:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 8:18:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Hope all the market timers and day traders cleared their shorts yesterday at the close.

Today may be a good day to short as well.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 10:35:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Today may be a good day to short as well.
View Quote

It's already fading -- down 100+ from the opening gap.

We'll see what the afternoon action brings.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 12:32:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Damn market crashing up again
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 12:37:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Its called a short squeeze, nothing more.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 2:04:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 9:23:17 AM EDT
[#17]
The ENTIRE market suffered a short squeeze?
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 4:09:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Still squeezing.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 5:07:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Sometimes no sarcastic comment seems adequate...
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 5:28:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

This is going to be bad.

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/13/2015 5:39:10 PM EDT
[#21]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is going to be bad.

http://s26.postimg.org/db5h25u61/screenshot_76.jpg

Does this mean we died?

Link Posted: 7/13/2015 5:46:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Does this mean we died?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is going to be bad.

http://s26.postimg.org/db5h25u61/screenshot_76.jpg

Does this mean we died?

Endless doomsday prattle is part of our souls' eternal punishment...
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 6:49:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 6:50:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Week 3 of the Market Collapse 2.0

The DOW is at almost exactly the same level as it was as before the massive market collapse.

I am so confused.  What am I supposed to do with my neighbors' corpses, my massive harem of ugly suburban housewives, and my basement full of MREs and silver?  
View Quote

Rape the silver, salt the corpses, burn the harem.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 7:04:41 PM EDT
[#25]
I heard the market was up on optimistic news about Greece. When was it down?

Link Posted: 7/13/2015 7:44:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Still squeezing.

Perhaps the stock market is like a huge pus volcano, and just a little more pressure will prompt a financial eruption!

Bigger than Krakatoa!

Mt St Helens!

Link Posted: 7/13/2015 8:13:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Off by 10 days????????

Shit you mean we not only gotta get the timing right but now gotta get the right stock market...Sheeet.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 8:16:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hahaha.

No Guns? No Womenz?
You not so balanced investor after all.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 8:24:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Week 3 of the Market Collapse 2.0

The DOW is at almost exactly the same level as it was as before the massive market collapse.

I am so confused.  What am I supposed to do with my neighbors' corpses, my massive harem of ugly suburban housewives, and my basement full of MREs and silver?  
View Quote

Except that between 1929 and 1937 things weren't so good. eh?
And the Gold in the house was confiscated by the Federal Government! They'll probably add guns next time huh?
I think Sept 2008 scared some real powerful people.
But we grew back out of that hole pronto.
So to say these things can never happen is also as bad as predicting that they are always about to.
I for one learned the hard way in the Tulip Bulb Bubble and the South Seas Investment scam. Since then I have done better.
The main take away is that crashes rarely happen and if one is paying some attention to things one might be able to avoid any big crashes.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 9:03:25 PM EDT
[#30]
My tiny little Roth made about $200 today. Oh the horror. Much collapse.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 10:12:46 PM EDT
[#31]

ok, i'm confused now.  when exactly do i panic?

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 8:55:13 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 9:20:31 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

ok, i'm confused now.  when exactly do i panic?

ar-jedi
View Quote

Ready, steady, go!  Dollar cost averaging and diversification are boring.  Daytrading is so much more fun.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 11:22:52 AM EDT
[#34]
DJIA near 30-day and 365-day highs.

If OP short sold, he may have jumped off a bridge...
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 9:28:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Crash!
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 5:14:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Just a friendly reminder that so far, the top is still in.

With commodities markets signaling trouble ahead (deflation) and the Fed hellbent on raising rates headed into a deflationary environment...standby.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 5:20:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

That's exactly the point I have made as well.  All of the doomers, who condescendingly claim that THEY KNOW that the market is about to collapse (or, in about Six Months (TM)) and that everyone else is a fool, sucker, etc.  would themselves be billionaires if they ACTUALLY understood the markets and economies the way that they claim they do.

One of the funnier aspects is that many of them now are desperately latching onto the coming weakness in China - as some sort of validation of their hysterical claims.  Which makes absolutely no sense , because they've been consistently wailing and gnashing their teeth about the U.S. economy, and how we're totally going to crash because everything is rigged, and it's just a huge house of cards, and the debt is going to eat us alive, and Obama is the AntiChrist, etc. etc.   When China starts to have serious problems (which obviously they will at some point, because of their various bubbles) - and it starts to affect the global markets - that's essentially the exact OPPOSITE problem from what they have been predicting.  But I am sure that won't stop them from claiming they predicted it.  

It's sort of like the crazy guy who keep telling everyone every year that the crops are going to fail because there's going to be a plague of locusts.  For sure this year, the locusts are coming!  Or maybe in Six Months (TM), or perhaps next year - but they are definitely coming!!  Don't bother planting any crops, because the locusts are going to eat them anyway, and you'd be a fool to throw away your seeds.  Then after ten years of no locusts, some natural event like massive flooding destroys all the crops - and then you just KNOW that this idiot will be scampering around with a shit-eating grin on his face, telling everyone how he "predicted" the crop failure, and they should have listened to him - never minding the fact that he predicted something entirely different, and they would all have starved to death the last ten years if they actually HAD listened to him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To all you Doomers I pose this question; "if you're so smart, why ain't you rich".

And as for the market timing  guys who claim to know when market tops occur and pull all of their money out just before the "crashes" ocurr.....why aren't you all billionaires?

That's exactly the point I have made as well.  All of the doomers, who condescendingly claim that THEY KNOW that the market is about to collapse (or, in about Six Months (TM)) and that everyone else is a fool, sucker, etc.  would themselves be billionaires if they ACTUALLY understood the markets and economies the way that they claim they do.

One of the funnier aspects is that many of them now are desperately latching onto the coming weakness in China - as some sort of validation of their hysterical claims.  Which makes absolutely no sense , because they've been consistently wailing and gnashing their teeth about the U.S. economy, and how we're totally going to crash because everything is rigged, and it's just a huge house of cards, and the debt is going to eat us alive, and Obama is the AntiChrist, etc. etc.   When China starts to have serious problems (which obviously they will at some point, because of their various bubbles) - and it starts to affect the global markets - that's essentially the exact OPPOSITE problem from what they have been predicting.  But I am sure that won't stop them from claiming they predicted it.  

It's sort of like the crazy guy who keep telling everyone every year that the crops are going to fail because there's going to be a plague of locusts.  For sure this year, the locusts are coming!  Or maybe in Six Months (TM), or perhaps next year - but they are definitely coming!!  Don't bother planting any crops, because the locusts are going to eat them anyway, and you'd be a fool to throw away your seeds.  Then after ten years of no locusts, some natural event like massive flooding destroys all the crops - and then you just KNOW that this idiot will be scampering around with a shit-eating grin on his face, telling everyone how he "predicted" the crop failure, and they should have listened to him - never minding the fact that he predicted something entirely different, and they would all have starved to death the last ten years if they actually HAD listened to him.

Word!
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 5:55:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Day xxx,

I can't even remember how long it's been since the collapse. Wife and I had prime ribeye, butter poached shrimp, and a nice Barolo the other night.

Life is just awful...
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 12:08:32 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
My tiny little Roth made about $200 today. Oh the horror. Much collapse.
View Quote

LoL.   Cute.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 9:16:48 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 1:28:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Looks good for the smart money.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 2:01:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 2:11:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

This thread has absolutely nothing to do with "smart" anything.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FYI

I appreciate you bumping this thread so I don't have to.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 2:38:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

#smartasscommentscount
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 3:49:26 PM EDT
[#45]
It's silly to become so emotionally invested in conjecture.  

People let their egos get in the way.  There is absolutely nothing "smart" about becoming emotionally invested in financial forecasts.  No one can see the future.  It's all just conjecture.  You'll never have all the data points.  You are playing in an amazingly complex and chaotic system.

The first thing you have to do when you make a living at financial analysis, or portfolio management, is that you are not your analysis.  Becoming emotionally invested in your analysis can blur your performance, it destroys your objectivity.  You will be wrong, and when you are wrong, you have to have the objectivity to examine the situation, and data points, as they are, and make adjustments.  You're hope is that you are slightly more right then you are wrong,  You're trying to tip the advantage ever so slightly in your favor, its the same principle that casinos use.  

Professional investing is an art, an art in which risk management is probably the most important element.    

With that said, there is data to support at least part of the OPs conjecture.  

Using point and figure technical analysis, we are indeed in an interesting time. Using this method the last time we were in an interesting time was way back at the end 2012, and the early months of 2013.  Between then and now, not much has happened.   So this charting method isn't really a very good predictor of short term trends.  It is best used as a gauge for longer term price movements.  

At the end of 2012 we were breaking down, so it was appropriate to employ defensive action and reduce risk, but by March of 2013 we had a clear bullish single, meaning risk was more acceptable again.  

In June of 2015 we entered this current "interesting time" which means now is the time to pay attention, take precautions, reduce risk.  Right now we are only modestly bullish. The truth is there is currently no real price price pattern for SPX, a fairly rare event in point and figure analysis.   So taking caution right now is completely appropriate.  

It looks like the charts could break down further, but as a technician we only read the data, and while predicting what data points may come, is fun, that's all it is.  A good technician doesn't invest based on what he thinks the data may look like tomorrow, or next week, or next year.  

He reads what's going on right now and acts accordingly.  

A good analogy is this is a technician invests like a person drives a car.  He pays attention to his guages, and what he sees.  He doesn't assume that the road is going to suddenly end, or that a tornado is going strike, but he reads the road and conditions, and adjusts his driving to what he sees.    

It's very egoic to make grand predictions about the future.  It's fun!  Hell, I do it.  Being right, feels so damn good. But a smart person knows it's only conjecture. The available data is incomplete.  So you should never feel too good about being right, or too bad about about being wrong.  Your goal should be to remain objective.  ...or as objective as is humanly possible.  

TLDR:  When it comes to the financial markets, believe me when I say humility is a virtue.

Link Posted: 7/24/2015 4:26:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Riveting tale, Queevox, but...

People who tell you the world is going to end next Tuesday should expect ridicule next Wednesday. When they follow up with "well, the world is going to end sometime in the next six months, then", they deserve still more ridicule. Of course something will happen someday in the indeterminate future, that's a pretty safe bet, but sound investing is all about making hay while the sun shines and hunkering down when times are tough.  Every facet of life involves some degree of risk, and we all must choose what level is acceptable to us, but if the lunatic fringe wants to crow from the rooftops, they can't get butthurt when they get mocked.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 4:40:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
"well, the world is going to end sometime in the next six months, then"...
View Quote

Did someone actually say that in this thread?  If so, please provide a citation. kthxbye.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 4:56:43 PM EDT
[#48]
"It wan't raining when Noah built the ark."
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 5:02:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Did someone actually say that in this thread?  If so, please provide a citation. kthxbye.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
"well, the world is going to end sometime in the next six months, then"...

He's making a comparison, and an apt one. End of the world doomers are exactly the same as end of the financial world doomers.  Both are full of shit about every single prediction.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 5:17:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Professional investing is an art, an art in which risk management is probably the most important element.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

lol.

http://www.people.hbs.edu/ptufano/bbenefits_Nov2004.pdf

Assessing the Costs and Benefits of Brokers in the Mutual Fund Industry

Daniel Bergstresser
Harvard Business School
[email protected]

John M.R. Chalmers
University of Oregon
[email protected]

Peter Tufano
Harvard Business School and NBER
[email protected]

Abstract
Many investors purchase their mutual funds through intermediated channels, engaging and paying brokers or financial advisors for fund selection and advice.  We analyze five possible benefits to consumers of brokered fund distribution: (a) Assistance selecting funds that are harder to find or harder to evaluate; (b) Access to funds with lower costs excluding distribution costs; (c) Access to higher performing funds; (d) superior asset allocation, and (e) Attenuation of behavioral investor biases. Along these dimensions, we find it difficult to identify the tangible benefits delivered by brokers.  While brokerage customers are directed toward funds that are harder to find and evaluate, they pay substantially higher fees and the funds they buy have lower risk-adjusted returns than directly-placed funds.  Brokered funds exhibit no better skill at asset allocation.  Furthermore, funds sold through brokers demonstrate more performance sensitivity than funds sold through the direct channel.  While the costs of brokers’ services are relatively clear, their benefits are not easily captured by the tangible measures explored in this paper.

that's just 1 of N.

ar-jedi

Page / 131
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top