BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 131
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 3:37:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For you so called financial experts that are predicting the death of the dollar why do you even bother saving and investing? Hell you guys are experts and should trust yourself enough to just blow it all and live it up, it seems like you don't believe your magic 8 ball to be fully accurate  
View Quote
Nothing is 100% accurate. Ever.

Risk provides opportunity.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 7:17:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For you so called financial experts that are predicting the death of the dollar why do you even bother saving and investing? Hell you guys are experts and should trust yourself enough to just blow it all and live it up, it seems like you don't believe your magic 8 ball to be fully accurate  

So we aren't crashing?
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 3:50:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
So we aren't crashing?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So we aren't crashing?
Not what I said.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 3:51:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
lol...at least we have the long end of the time line figured out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
CBO completely FUBARED Obamacare. Thirty years.
That pesky rule of 72.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 4:11:41 PM EDT
[#5]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
CBO completely FUBARED Obamacare. Thirty years.
That pesky rule of 72.
Oh you and your math..
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 4:12:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Monday®
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 10:37:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a great question albeit worded in a smartass way

The dollar is a currency, subject to "currency risk" just like every other currency.

Just because governments are idiots and take sledgehammers to their currencies, and by extension economy and social fabric, does not mean the only solution is to not invest.

The investment world is simply too used to the US, EU, and Japan having valuable currencies.  The difference between these first world countries and third world countries with crappy currencies, is that the first world had a bunch of wealth to squander through their printing presses in the first place, when the third world didn't.

So in short, the investment world hasn't figured out yet that some of these first world countries and third-world countries are not all that dissimilar with regards to their financial situation.  One just looks better because it could run up debt and pretend it isn't real.

The world will always run on capital investment.  If the US has to go through a Greater Depression to fix itself, people are better off investing in countries that are not debt-exploding first world, or corrupt and destitute third-world.

The only way that not investing is the answer is if we literally have a world ending event, such as an asteroid that would wipe us out in short order.  Beyond that, life goes on, and people need capital to create prosperity.

ETA:  If someone just had to invest in the US, they could create a strategy for that, too.  It's just not as good as getting away from the US, and its currency, in general.

Think about what would happen during a Great Depression in the US.  Go simple:  water, food, basic housing, car repair DIY and auto shops (less new cars), batters, stay away from nearly all luxuries, cheap food, stay away from restaurants, security doors and windows, home repair (few new homes), alarm systems, security camera systems, stay away from "service economy" jobs where people can DIY instead, double down on US companies that sell to foreigners.

Investing is supposed to be fun to think about.    Non-financial people sometimes know more than they think they do about economics.  Usually more than the PhDs, at least.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 8:52:49 AM EDT
[#8]
@gym007

What are your thoughts on the US dollar?
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 10:29:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 10:43:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

lol

The funniest things in these sort of threads are inevitably the people who think they are way smarter than they really are, and pretend to be experts on things they barely understand.

The Doomer thread (which seems to have finally lost steam - after almost a decade of people confidently claiming that the collapse is right around the corner) was FULL of that kind of stuff.  People who watched a few YouTube videos or read an article from ZeroHedge would proudly lecture people about "The Austrian School" and "fiat currency" the "Baltic Dry Index" and confidently make grand predictions, based on their own perceived expertise.

It is as funny as it is tragically pathetic.  Exactly the same phenomenon as some fat kid that plays flight sims lecturing actually military fighter pilots about flying (which I've seen on arfcom as well).

The Internet is awesome!  
View Quote
Soon®

Link Posted: 4/13/2017 1:25:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
lol

The funniest things in these sort of threads are inevitably the people who think they are way smarter than they really are, and pretend to be experts on things they barely understand.

The Doomer thread (which seems to have finally lost steam - after almost a decade of people confidently claiming that the collapse is right around the corner) was FULL of that kind of stuff.  People who watched a few YouTube videos or read an article from ZeroHedge would proudly lecture people about "The Austrian School" and "fiat currency" the "Baltic Dry Index" and confidently make grand predictions, based on their own perceived expertise.

It is as funny as it is tragically pathetic.  Exactly the same phenomenon as some fat kid that plays flight sims lecturing actually military fighter pilots about flying (which I've seen on arfcom as well).

The Internet is awesome!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

... Non-financial people sometimes know more than they think they do about economics.  Usually more than the PhDs, at least.
lol

The Internet is awesome!  
So buy gold or not?
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 1:46:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

lol

The Internet is awesome!  
View Quote
So, are you rich?
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 2:29:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
So buy gold or not?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

... Non-financial people sometimes know more than they think they do about economics.  Usually more than the PhDs, at least.
lol

The Internet is awesome!  
So buy gold or not?
Don't you know?  It's the only substance in the universe with any real value. Buy at any price, always!  The end is near!
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 5:46:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
lol

The Internet is awesome!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol

The Internet is awesome!  
Yep, my only training is YouTube videos and Zerohedge articles.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 5:47:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

So buy gold or not?
View Quote
A grill?  
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 11:49:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
So, are you rich?
View Quote
LOL!
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 10:55:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
So, are you rich?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol

The Internet is awesome!  
So, are you rich?
1. Define rich
2. I suspect DkProf isn't struggling to make ends meet

Not being a cookoobird doomer and being rich are two different things anyway.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 10:56:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
1. Define rich
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol

The Internet is awesome!  
So, are you rich?
1. Define rich
His wife purchased a new Porsche, I would say they are rich  
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 11:02:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol

The Internet is awesome!  
So, are you rich?
1. Define rich
No one asked if DK's wife was rich.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 2:25:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
A grill?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So buy gold or not?
A grill?  
Call me George Forman cuz im selling every body grills.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 2:37:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

lol

The Internet is awesome!  
View Quote
What's pathetic is that the Federal Reserve has taken unprecedented steps to avoid an otherwise guaranteed scenario, and the Pollyanna's of the world jump up and down screaming

"seeeeee!! I told you it wouldn't happen!!!!!"

And really, simple math is all one must grasp to understand the basis for concern.

Doubled the national debt in 10 years.

Credit creation out of thin air to the tune of tens of trillions of dollars world wide.

National banks playing pass the bong with liquidity as a means of stress testing.

National liabilities that again simple mathematics tell us grossly exceed even the most optimistic growth models by many billions of dollars annually.

The gross expansion of money supply, while velocity slows to a trickle.... think of the consequences of all that stored potential should the Federal Reserve not act timely and adequately.... I'm sure they'll do a splendid job of it!

LOL!

Eta: and to be fair, that's just scratching the surface.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:34:14 PM EDT
[#22]
How about that monthly treasury report?  

MTS

Maybe the good professor will be along to discuss the issue.  Since I am a doomer and think I am smarter than I actually am...
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 4:44:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Did we collapse again? Must have missed it....
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 5:01:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
What's pathetic is that the Federal Reserve has taken unprecedented steps to avoid an otherwise guaranteed scenario, and the Pollyanna's of the world jump up and down screaming

And really, simple math is all one must grasp to understand the basis for concern.

Credit creation out of thin air to the tune of tens of trillions of dollars world wide.

National banks playing pass the bong with liquidity as a means of stress testing.

National liabilities that again simple mathematics tell us grossly exceed even the most optimistic growth models by many billions of dollars annually.

The gross expansion of money supply, while velocity slows to a trickle.... think of the consequences of all that stored potential should the Federal Reserve not act timely and adequately.... I'm sure they'll do a splendid job of it!

LOL!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol

The Internet is awesome!  

LOL!

95% of our economic thought "leaders" follow the "Keynesian" school of thought.  

Matt Bracken, of all people, hit the nail on the head between that and the Austrian School:

The twentieth-century Austrian School economist Ludwig Von Mises wrote, “There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved.” In contrast, when the socialist economist John Maynard Keynes was asked if his self-styled Keynesian credit expansion could continue in the long run, he replied, “In the long run, we are all dead.” Tra-la-la, who cares? It won’t be my problem.

In 2015, the childless homosexual John Maynard Keynes is indeed long dead, but we are still alive, and his “long run” is finally upon us. Now, just before the bank failures begin, seems to be an opportune time for the traitor elites to throw over the table, scattering the cards, chips and cash, while the lights go dark and shots ring out. The evil actors lurking in the background who sometimes engineer major catastrophes always have a plan to escape their worst consequences, including taking any blame, and they even have a plan to profit from the very disasters they created. The first Baron Rothschild, around the time of the Battle of Waterloo, is credited with saying “The time to buy is when there is blood running in the streets.”
 The American people might not know the fine mechanics of their failing financial system, but they can feel that they are being sold out.  The economic thought "leaders" are not without culpability.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 5:28:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Matt Bracken, of all people, hit the nail on the head between that and the Austrian School:

The American people might not know the fine mechanics of their failing financial system, but they can feel that they are being sold out.  The economic thought "leaders" are not without culpability.
View Quote
So continue to make money, or sell everything, buy gold, and bury it in the backyard?
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 5:29:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol

The Internet is awesome!  

LOL!

The twentieth-century Austrian School economist Ludwig Von Mises wrote, “There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved.” In contrast, when the socialist economist John Maynard Keynes was asked if his self-styled Keynesian credit expansion could continue in the long run, he replied, “In the long run, we are all dead.” Tra-la-la, who cares? It won’t be my problem.

In 2015, the childless homosexual John Maynard Keynes is indeed long dead, but we are still alive, and his “long run” is finally upon us. Now, just before the bank failures begin, seems to be an opportune time for the traitor elites to throw over the table, scattering the cards, chips and cash, while the lights go dark and shots ring out. The evil actors lurking in the background who sometimes engineer major catastrophes always have a plan to escape their worst consequences, including taking any blame, and they even have a plan to profit from the very disasters they created. The first Baron Rothschild, around the time of the Battle of Waterloo, is credited with saying “The time to buy is when there is blood running in the streets.”
He nailed it, and IMHO the monetary cabal and their body politic should be held directly responsible... The only means of redemption being punishment of the sorts we've not seen in modern times.

Brutally, publicly, mercilessly.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:05:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Today?
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:40:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Today?
View Quote
you are a week or two early.

three weeks, tops.

Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:49:04 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
 So continue to make money, or sell everything, buy gold, and bury it in the backyard?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's the person going to do afterward?  Does the person know how to then take that gold and buy the correct wealth-producing assets at a discount?  Gold is just a store of wealth.  What's the business plan?  Most people don't have these skills, and would be preoccupied with other stressors during a currency crisis.

Better if people invest outside the US.  Australia didn't feel a thing in 2008.  If they don't have the skills to figure it out themselves, hire a financial advisor at a brokerage firm that understands the big picture, and invests accordingly.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 5:51:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 6:23:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Holy crap, missed another Monday collapse!
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 8:35:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The S&P 500 failed to breach 2400 for the 2nd time.

Time for a longer-term downtrend!
View Quote
Since the good professor has seen not to respond to my earlier post, check treasury revenues.  The downtrend started awhile ago.  The general public just wants to ignore it for now...
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 8:54:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Since the good professor has seen not to respond to my earlier post, check treasury revenues.  The downtrend started awhile ago.  The general public just wants to ignore it for now...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Monday ®
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 9:05:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

lol

The Internet is awesome!  
View Quote
Fair point.

But it's far less impactful in the day to day lives of the unwashed and un-learned masses than the group think and confirmation bias that plagues, to the very core, most of academia and the entirety of our politocrat, oligarchical, D.C. overlords (and their sycophantic devotees).

So go ahead, look down your nose at the armchair experts, many of which can see the forest from the trees to a far greater degree than the so called "experts" because we at least are free to disagree and converse in the arena of ideas, not just nod our heads in agreement to appease the current populist agenda, only to later scream "but who could have seen that coming" after yet another long inflated bubble bursts or some other easily foreseen disaster strikes.

LOL.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 10:03:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
 Monday ®
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Monday ®

Courtesy Ryan McMaken at the Mises Institute
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 10:11:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Same chart style, going back to 1/1/1983.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 10:19:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Sorry, I'm into stock trading and this is the first time I'm reading this thread.  Which Monday is it supposed to be?
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 11:32:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Sorry, I'm into stock trading and this is the first time I'm reading this thread.  Which Monday is it supposed to be?
View Quote
Just another manic monday.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 11:41:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
Soon.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 11:56:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 12:31:57 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Is that data accessible anywhere for free? I can't find it on FRED.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/200878/MTS-Revenue-196096.JPG
Is that data accessible anywhere for free? I can't find it on FRED.
See my MTS link up above. It's from the excel file.

ETA: It was this post.
Quoted:
How about that monthly treasury report?  

MTS

Maybe the good professor will be along to discuss the issue.  Since I am a doomer and think I am smarter than I actually am...
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 10:33:56 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
according to that chart the market should be tanking by now, but it isn;t yet.

I still think we run out of gas closer to 2020.

Also that chart, that's just the revenue from the sale of the bonds correct?
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 11:22:14 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
No idea...

But did read recently that...

Capitalism   --"Separates the Smart from the Poor..."

Link Posted: 4/27/2017 11:47:41 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
No idea...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No idea...

Ron Swanson would make a great economist.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 11:51:40 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Ron Swanson would make a great economist.
View Quote
Yep!  Brilliant!

Finance companies do a similar thing...
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 12:18:31 PM EDT
[#46]
So is it a good time or bad time to buy real estate?
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 1:08:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The government is going to run of gas a lot faster than that. Market is dislocating from things.

The graph is receipts, not revenue. My bad, I am a private sector desk jockey. As for what constitutes receipts, its taxes.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 1:35:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
The government is going to run of gas a lot faster than that. Market is dislocating from things.

The graph is receipts, not revenue. My bad, I am a private sector desk jockey. As for what constitutes receipts, its taxes.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/200878/IMG-3823-196448.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/200878/IMG-3823-196448.JPG
 They say without finding more money, .gov funding stops around Sept.  

No surprise they are targeting the offshore $$ held by big corps with an "advantageous amnesty rate" to get another temporary lifeline.

Amazing how they always find a way.  Always the most politically expedient thing until they run out of rope completely.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 1:57:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
 They say without finding more money, .gov funding stops around Sept.  

No surprise they are targeting the offshore $ held by big corps with an "advantageous amnesty rate" to get another temporary lifeline.

Amazing how they always find a way.  Always the most politically expedient thing until they run out of rope completely.
View Quote
That they do. I am currently dealing with a more local situation to raise additional taxes to fund Medicaid. Another hidden tax for the consumer.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 10:37:01 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 131
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top