Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 102
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:44:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
]I guess I misspoke about my first line of defense.  And the main reason I don't worry about anybody breaking in.  I keep the gate to the property closed for YOUR protection not mine.  

http://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab326/jkw3637/Faith%20n%20Hans.jpg

I understand everyone doesn't live in the same environment as I do, and my levels of personal defense are far different that other people.  If I lived in an urban or suburban area, then I would do things differently.  I'm lucky that I don't have too.  I'm also lucky that my range is my back yard, and that if I were at a public range and people were unsafely handing any firearm, I'd be nervous as hell.

A for what's in my collection, just 5.56/.223's, parts for a 7.62x39, and the 6.5 mm Grendel.  The 6.5 mm is really nice, and since I reload, ammo isn't a problem, well it wasn't until the powder dried up.
View Quote

This has nothing to do with using the safety on your AR.

You are admitting that you do something in a less safe manner because you have no neighbors to accidentally shoot. Undisciplined.

There's NO downside to using the safety.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:38:14 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

You are admitting that you do something in a less safe manner because you have no neighbors to accidentally shoot. Undisciplined.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

]I guess I misspoke about my first line of defense.  And the main reason I don't worry about anybody breaking in.  I keep the gate to the property closed for YOUR protection not mine.  

I understand everyone doesn't live in the same environment as I do, and my levels of personal defense are far different that other people.  If I lived in an urban or suburban area, then I would do things differently.  I'm lucky that I don't have too.  I'm also lucky that my range is my back yard, and that if I were at a public range and people were unsafely handing any firearm, I'd be nervous as hell.

A for what's in my collection, just 5.56/.223's, parts for a 7.62x39, and the 6.5 mm Grendel.  The 6.5 mm is really nice, and since I reload, ammo isn't a problem, well it wasn't until the powder dried up.

No I was answering his question, the way i store and handle my AR's is perfectly safe, and having the selector on safe WON"T make them ANY safer.  I stand by my record of ZERO ND's in 46 YEARS of handling AR's.  You do what make you the most confident, I'll do what make me the most confident.  I never claimed there was a down side to having the selector on safe, it's just not the way I do it.  I'm sure there are angry gods somewhere ripping kittens to shreds over it too.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:58:03 AM EDT
[#3]
people who do not strive for self-improvement are disgusting
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:24:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
people who do not strive for self-improvement are disgusting
View Quote

And also make it easier for some of us to achieve excellence by default. Don't fuck with a good thing bro
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:39:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
No I was answering his question, the way i store and handle my AR's is perfectly safe, and having the selector on safe WON"T make them ANY safer.  I stand by my record of ZERO ND's in 46 YEARS of handling AR's.  You do what make you the most confident, I'll do what make me the most confident.  I never claimed there was a down side to having the selector on safe, it's just not the way I do it.  I'm sure there are angry gods somewhere ripping kittens to shreds over it too.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong, using a safety is always safer. Hence why it's called a safety. If there's no down side to it, then why don't you use it? It's safer. Oh right...because "that's not how you learned it"

You even admitted above that if you lived in the suburbs you'd do it differently. Implying that using a safety is safer, but you don't have any neighbors to worry about shooting. Talk about bad habits. You can talk about however many years you have gone without a ND if you want, but the fact remains that you're undisciplined.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:40:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Oh yeah.  That's what I need. Tell me why you're offended. Tell me why what I'm doing is wrong and shouldn't be allowed.  Tell me why I'm being intolerant for liking something one way while you're not when telling me I shouldn't.  

Speak slowly so I can savor this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Oh man I've got to get in on this.  OP, how does this picture make you feel?

http://i.imgur.com/7CBvcHp.jpg

That's a Colt M16, mag inserted, 4 position selector in the 4th position, Colt M203 and finger on both triggers.  I crave your liberal, social safety warrior tears.
Actually, safety is conservative by nature.    

Your picture is more in line with progressiveness. You know, seeking offence were none should be, and taking up a cause that does no one any good accept bring attention to people solely for the sake of attention?

Oh yeah.  That's what I need. Tell me why you're offended. Tell me why what I'm doing is wrong and shouldn't be allowed.  Tell me why I'm being intolerant for liking something one way while you're not when telling me I shouldn't.  

Speak slowly so I can savor this.

So I'll ask. And I am sure like every poster above you, you will ignore.

What....good...reason....is there...to...not...use...the...safety?

I won't hold my breath.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:48:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I don't have to read the entire thread, he has a valid point you won't answer.  Because you now that the weapon cannot get any safer than an empty chamber.  Placing the selector on safe will not make it so.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you might as well get angry about it?

You think I'm angry?

People making fools of themselves don't make me angry. Now, if you handled that M-16 around me or my family like what's depicted in that photo then I'd be angry.

Seriously, you're the worst troll ever.

Why would you simply rely on a mechanical safety? Why not have the bolt held open with a clear view of the chamber? To say the safety has to be on to make the rifle safe seems short sighted.

Don't let me stop you from calling me names though. I do enjoy it.

You still didn't read the thread.
I don't have to read the entire thread, he has a valid point you won't answer.  Because you now that the weapon cannot get any safer than an empty chamber.  Placing the selector on safe will not make it so.  

Yet you as well won't answer my question. Why not use the safety. It is soooooo easy.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:51:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Whatever.
It isn't going to harm the OP regardless of its condition. A bullet isn't going through the screen at him.
I keep all my guns loaded. Round in the chamber. Full mag. An unloaded weapon is useless if needed in an emergency. Unloaded guns have had more ND/AD's and killed people than loaded guns have. In the wganz house, it is always loaded until proven otherwise. then when done with it, it is reloaded and put away.

OP needs to switch to decaf.
View Quote

But the better question is is it loaded and on safe? You never answered that.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:53:15 AM EDT
[#9]
And the end...I made it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:58:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yet you as well won't answer my question. Why not use the safety. It is soooooo easy.
View Quote

Safety is for plebeians. Some area just more Professional than others.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:24:21 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Expecting someone to read 70 pages is ludicrous. Get over yourself. Post it in OP or continue being a dickhead, no one is going to read 70 pages.
View Quote
I read the whole thread.

I had to, to see what was in it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:30:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Let's make OP nervous again

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 2:07:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Aren't you edgy
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:28:38 PM EDT
[#14]
That makes two people with instructor icons in two pages advocating sloppy, unprofessional weapons handling.  Looks like we need to beat the dead horse of safety for another 70+ pages....
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:31:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
That makes two people with instructor icons in two pages advocating sloppy, unprofessional weapons handling.  Looks like we need to beat the dead horse of safety for another 70+ pages....
View Quote

Considering how many people Professor_H has informed and instructed as to the proper handling of an AR, I think he should have an instructor icon under his name as well for his service to the community.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:54:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Considering how many people Professor_H has informed and instructed as to the proper handling of an AR, I think he should have an instructor icon under his name as well for his service to the community.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He has an instructor icon.
This is a good thread for anyone trying to decide who to train with.  Is your instructor going to be safe or unsafe? Professional or sloppy?  Fit or fat?  You can determine all these things and more just by reading the thread to see who's in it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:45:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

This is a good thread for anyone trying to decide who to train with.  Is your instructor going to be safe or unsafe? Professional or sloppy?  Fit or fat?  You can determine all these things and more just by reading the thread to see who's in it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It wasn't there when I posted it. Staff just gave him it because of my comment.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 2:49:47 PM EDT
[#18]

Having an instructor Icon and trying to make fun of a serious safety thread?

You're an NRA instructor huh?
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 5:21:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

I submitted a video of how to safely decock a revolver while covered in baby oil.

Striker said all the instructors had to do it, and it wasn't for his own personal use.

He said the baby oil brings out the colors in my tattoos.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 8:12:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I submitted a video of how to safely decock a revolver while covered in baby oil.

Striker said all the instructors had to do it, and it wasn't for his own personal use.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It really did.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:56:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Gross.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Weapon on Fire, Hammer dropped.

Gross.

What's that supposed to mean?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:41:14 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Weapon on Fire, Hammer dropped.

Gross.

79 pages of explanation by subject matter experts in the field of AR/ M-16 handling.

Start at page one, by the time you get back here you'll know all there is to know about safety.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:29:32 AM EDT
[#23]
If I pick up my AR right now it has an empty chamber, full magazine, BCG forward, hammer dropped, and the safety is off.

How else does one store an AR with a full magazine and an empty chamber?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:33:03 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

If I pick up my AR right now it has an empty chamber, full magazine, BCG forward, hammer dropped, and the safety is off.

View Quote

You know, correctly.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:49:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
You know, correctly.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You know, correctly.

I might be doing it wrong.

So I ask, what is the correct way?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:53:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You know, correctly.

Always on safe. Empty or not.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:54:37 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You know, correctly.

Why ask when you can read it, it's already been answered multiple times.

Why would you not store your rifle in an actual weapons condition?  Why choose to be sloppy and inconsistent?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:00:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Why would you not store your rifle in an actual weapons condition?  Why choose to be sloppy and inconsistent?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You know, correctly.

Well, when I truck gun it's to be legal.

When I house gun it's personal choice.

Also, I practice the most recent LE Instructor Development Training I've received.

Just habit and preference, I guess.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:19:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Man- I'll try again -  for science.

What reL reason do you have for not using the safety.

Not feels...but real data proving that not using that tiny lever is bad.

I'm dying holding my breath.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:26:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

When the gun is hot I use the safety.

When in truck and home mode it is as I described above.

ETA: Empty chamber, full magazine, BCG forward, hammer dropped, and the safety is off.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:29:32 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

ETA: Empty chamber, full magazine, BCG forward, hammer cocked, and the safety is on.

View Quote

that's the correct way to have an empty chamber
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:35:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA: Empty chamber, full magazine, BCG forward, hammer cocked, and the safety is on.

I've done it that way as well.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:36:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

ETA: Empty chamber, full magazine, BCG forward, hammer dropped, and the safety is off.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I submit that like the 30 cases documented here ...common gun practices....and common sense.. You are doing it wrong

Oh and you gave no reason...other than feels.

ND waiting to happen.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:37:38 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would be the correct way. Especially when a source of feed is in.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:00:28 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But when you charge the weapon, you then have a round in the chamber and safety off for no good reason. There is no reason to do this when you could just have the safety on. There's no added benefit, and there is definitely added risk.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:39:34 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If the safety is off, you're not treating the gun as if it is loaded, which is one of the cardinal rules of gun safety.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:21:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

But when you charge the weapon, you then have a round in the chamber and safety off for no good reason. There is no reason to do this when you could just have the safety on. There's no added benefit, and there is definitely added risk.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That makes sense.

I not trying to be sarcastic, and I know all about the "those who have and those who will club," but I have not had an ND with the hammer down and the safety off.

However, I will start doing it with the hammer back, safety on, and an empty chamber.

PS: The safety is always on when the gun is hot or I am done shooting with a live chamber and a partially loaded magazine.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:23:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

That makes sense.

I not trying to be sarcastic, and I know all about the "those who have and those who will club," but I have not had an ND with the hammer down and the safety off.

However, I will start doing it with the hammer back, safety on, and an empty chamber.

PS: The safety is always on when the gun is hot or I am done shooting with a live chamber and a partially loaded magazine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That makes sense.

this guy here learns a superior technique and adopts it, even though what he was doing before "worked" in the sense that it had not yet failed

bravo, that's how it's done
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:44:18 PM EDT
[#39]
While I'm sure we've covered it, I can't recall it being discussed in-depth.  There is the concern of "cruiser carry."

The idea being that if you have a rifle stored in a vehicle in the vertical configuration (especially muzzle up), that inertial forces from the road can cause the bolt to unlock and move to the rear.  If the bolt moves far enough to chamber a round, this would be potentially bad.  You want the chamber empty because not all cruiser racks cover the trigger guard, plus lots of other things are stored in vehicles which can work their way into trigger guards and maybe cause problems.  Cables, radio antennas, pens, etc.  

So the safest way to carry it in a vehicle while still being ready to use is firmly mounted to a hard point of the interior, chamber empty, full magazine inserted.  I'll add on safe, and dust cover closed.  The last bit is important.

Some people apparently realized that inertia can cause the bolt to unlock, and so they started storing the rifle with the hammer down to apply additional forward force on the bolt to keep it closed.  But that's unsafe for lots of reasons we've mentioned.

The safer way to make sure the bolt stays forward is to close the dust cover.

The bolt cannot charge without the dust cover opening.  A rack may impede the opening of the dust cover, and thus keep the bolt forward.  Or even if it's just a simple clip system to retain the rifle, you can visually confirm that the rifle is in the condition you left it because the dust cover is closed.  Again, the dust cover must open for the bolt to move rearward.

So what may have been a well-intentioned but ultimately less safe storage method for a vehicle I suppose got pushed around the internet for a while.  That's unfortunate, but we're here to fix that.

Bolt forward, chamber empty, full mag inserted, safety on, dust cover closed is the correct way to do it.  Regardless of what any training or policy you've had/seen might say.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:43:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

That makes sense.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That makes sense.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:07:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

That makes sense.

View Quote

Outstanding.
Welcome to the safety project.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:23:10 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

That makes sense.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

snip
That makes sense.

You give me goodfeels.

Sorry about being callous earlier, many deny safety before 79 pages of evidence, but others picked up the slack and helped you towards the light!

Having the safety on takes away nothing, and is treating the gun as if it were loaded, even with an empty chamber, because it IS loaded...  maybe not chambered, but that rifle is hot.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:24:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

That makes sense.

View Quote

What some didn't/don't understand is that the gun is ALWAYS "hot." Some are treating it differently just because they didn't chamber a round or cleared the rifle. This can, and has, led to NDs.  Especially when a technique, albeit a poor one, is to store the rifle hammer down which requires the trigger to be pulled. Like mentioned previously, there is absolutely no reason justifying it. It serves no purpose and can lead to a habit of arbitrarily pulling the trigger. All it takes is one simple error in judgement while performing this useless action and there is round flying.

Basic rules of safety.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:56:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

That makes sense.

View Quote

I'm pleased that you understand logic.

Your presence in this thread is a breath of fresh air, in a sea of smelly safety violators.

It really takes a handsome, sweet smelling man, to listen to an argument and form the correct conclusion.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:05:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
While I'm sure we've covered it, I can't recall it being discussed in-depth.  There is the concern of "cruiser carry."

The idea being that if you have a rifle stored in a vehicle in the vertical configuration (especially muzzle up), that inertial forces from the road can cause the bolt to unlock and move to the rear.  If the bolt moves far enough to chamber a round, this would be potentially bad.  You want the chamber empty because not all cruiser racks cover the trigger guard, plus lots of other things are stored in vehicles which can work their way into trigger guards and maybe cause problems.  Cables, radio antennas, pens, etc.  

So the safest way to carry it in a vehicle while still being ready to use is firmly mounted to a hard point of the interior, chamber empty, full magazine inserted.  I'll add on safe, and dust cover closed.  The last bit is important.

Some people apparently realized that inertia can cause the bolt to unlock, and so they started storing the rifle with the hammer down to apply additional forward force on the bolt to keep it closed.  But that's unsafe for lots of reasons we've mentioned.

The safer way to make sure the bolt stays forward is to close the dust cover.

The bolt cannot charge without the dust cover opening.  A rack may impede the opening of the dust cover, and thus keep the bolt forward.  Or even if it's just a simple clip system to retain the rifle, you can visually confirm that the rifle is in the condition you left it because the dust cover is closed.  Again, the dust cover must open for the bolt to move rearward.

So what may have been a well-intentioned but ultimately less safe storage method for a vehicle I suppose got pushed around the internet for a while.  That's unfortunate, but we're here to fix that.

Bolt forward, chamber empty, full mag inserted, safety on, dust cover closed is the correct way to do it.  Regardless of what any training or policy you've had/seen might say.
View Quote

WAT?

It doesn't take much to pop the dust cover open.  The hammer spring is much stronger.  Not that I think it's a good way to store it but stronger none the less.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:14:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

WAT?

It doesn't take much to pop the dust cover open.  The hammer spring is much stronger.  Not that I think it's a good way to store it but stronger none the less.
View Quote

pretty sure he was saying that mechanically holding the dust cover closed (by the rack or whatever) will keep the bolt forward

and if it doesn't you have a visual indication
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:24:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

pretty sure he was saying that mechanically holding the dust cover closed (by the rack or whatever) will keep the bolt forward

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

WAT?

That's what I thought at first but he doesn't say a system that clamps over the dust cover.  As you mentioned, you can see if the bolt moved if the cover is open.

I wouldn't think there is much chance of it, but if it's  a concern it would seem to make more sense to secure it empty on safe without a mag inserted.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 9:09:59 PM EDT
[#48]
fun fact.

If you join a group called ar-15 nation on the facebook.  Then tell a transvestite that it needs to utilize its safety you will be banned.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 9:23:44 PM EDT
[#49]
r.
Quoted:

That makes sense.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That makes sense.

Good for you.

I also changed my methods. It was not this thread but another on a different site.

All joking aside, Mr H has dome some pretty solid work here with making dudes think a bit about why they do some things.

Engage that safety, it simply safer.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 11:37:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
fun fact.

If you join a group called ar-15 nation on the facebook.  Then tell a transvestite that it needs to utilize its safety you will be banned.
View Quote

You can ban people, but you can't ban safety.

Safety science always finds a way.
Page / 102
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top