Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 102
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 2:05:19 PM EDT
[#1]

It is funny how many people pull out the logical fallacy of GLOCK's when discussing AR safety, without realizing that the external safety of a GLOCK is activated to block the trigger with "Keep your finger straight and off the trigger until you intend to fire".  

It shows that those who oppose safety for no other reason than to be contrarian, do not have a logical grasp of safety, firearms mechanics, or the safety mindset.

Safety science is mature and vetted by experts in the field. To oppose it is to argue against decades of successful application. If future readers who have NOT read the last 62 pages think they have an argument, bring your A game.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 3:00:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I hate when safety violators try to be edgy
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 4:52:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Fire/Sem-Automatic ........................

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 4:56:42 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote
Not to mention the bolt is back as well, clearly a safety violation hat trick.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 6:55:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I am not an expert but I don't you can even put the magazine into a thompson without having the bolt to the rear.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 6:57:15 PM EDT
[#6]
This is still a thing?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:38:59 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I am not an expert but I don't you can even put the magazine into a thompson without having the bolt to the rear.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Correct for drum mags. But in this case, it also shows that the gun is ready to fire and is at it's highest state of potential for an ND, if the rules of safety are followed.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:57:49 PM EDT
[#8]
It's pretty fun to start this thread from page one and watch the tide of battle turn in favor of safety.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:38:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
This is still a thing?
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 2:43:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Not sure, but it may fall under the rule that states, "handle all weapons as if they're loaded."

In the real world there are things called implied tasks.

Sort of like if I tell you to put your shoes on. An implied task would be to put on socks prior to and tie the damn laces after. I bet you're a hot mess with such a simple mind.
View Quote

This thread is pure comedy gold.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 2:49:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not sure, but it may fall under the rule that states, "handle all weapons as if they're loaded."

Sort of like if I tell you to put your shoes on. An implied task would be to put on socks prior to and tie the damn laces after. I bet you're a hot mess with such a simple mind.

The mental image of someone being told to put their shoes on, and doing so without putting on socks or tying their laces, made me laugh audibly.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 7:59:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The mental image of someone being told to put their shoes on, and doing so without putting on socks or tying their laces, made me laugh audibly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

thats a ranger school joke.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 9:03:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You are a dumbass OP
..and this is why they won't listen to you. You have done nothing but insult people in the entire post quoted, just like the rest of this thread. You say the word science, like you have a monopoly on its understanding, and insult everyone else.
The above quote is nothing but a display of narcissistic asshloery.

See...now I have to add the word assholery to my spellcheck because of you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Safety violators display tell tale signs of an underdeveloped mental capacity.

One such sign, is the inability to receive criticism.

They lack the basic desire to better themselves. In fact, the very thought of exerting effort is emotionally overwhelming for these disgusting creatures.

Which explains why they live surrounded in their own filth, Mountain Dew piss bottles, Homer Buckets, everything they touch literally tainted with Doritos Cool Ranch artificial flavoring. Gross.

You are a dumbass OP
..and this is why they won't listen to you. You have done nothing but insult people in the entire post quoted, just like the rest of this thread. You say the word science, like you have a monopoly on its understanding, and insult everyone else.
The above quote is nothing but a display of narcissistic asshloery.

See...now I have to add the word assholery to my spellcheck because of you.

Except he's right, and you're the one calling people dumbass.

OP, count me in with the converts.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 9:13:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
OP, count me in with the converts.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:00:42 AM EDT
[#15]
this thread makes me feel good about cultural change. This is change I can believe in!
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:39:50 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

this thread makes me feel good about cultural change. This is change I can believe in!
View Quote
Right? What's the point in being "conservative" if all that's being conserved is outdated unsafe practices?

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:43:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Right? What's the point in being "conservative" if all that's being conserved is outdated unsafe practices?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

we have to fix the bitter clingers that continue to practice sloppy and gross weapons handling
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:00:46 PM EDT
[#18]
So much derp in this thread.  Oh, and fuck off OP, I know when my weapon is safe and when it is not.  I have always had anal safety habits and I know damn well the weapon I cleared is fine with the safety off.  Oh, and guess what I do the next time I touch the weapon?  I fucking clear it.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:04:54 PM EDT
[#19]

and we're off again
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:06:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

we have to fix the bitter clingers that continue to practice sloppy and gross weapons handling
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:06:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
So much derp in this thread.  Oh, and fuck off OP, I know when my weapon is safe and when it is not.  I have always had anal safety habits and I know damn well the weapon I cleared is fine with the safety off.  Oh, and guess what I do the next time I touch the weapon?  I fucking clear it.

View Quote

Claims to have anal safety habits.
Is proud of violating safety rules.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:07:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

lol

This is exactly how ND's happen. If you KNOW it's cleared, why do you clear it again? The very act of clearing it means you DON'T KNOW for 100% certain. If that's the case, why the hell would you not have the safety on?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:09:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

An AR should be on safe when you clear it.

Additionally, all weapons should be treated as if they are loaded.

Leaving the safety off on an AR is a sloppy habit, which has the potential to lead to a negligent discharge.

Please consider adopting safe professional weapons handling procedures, and abandon gross stupid unsafe weapons handling habits.

Thank you for complying.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:12:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Safety violators always have the utmost respect for safety procedures, and then completely ignore them.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:20:49 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View Quote
Tell us more about your alternative lifestyle habits? You know they are a leading cause of "accidental intentional discharge syndrome" right?

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:44:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Please tell me that you meant that in the Freudian sense of anal retentiveness (in which case, you probably want to seek counseling), and that you don't actually involve your anus in your firearms safety procedures (in which case, there's another thread you should read).

That said, having the safety off when you don't intend to fire the weapon is an asshole thing to do, so maybe that's what you meant?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 3:24:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

we still have much work ahead of us.....the struggle continues
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 3:34:48 PM EDT
[#28]
I just want everyone to know that I got a little complacent today. I went out to the range and without even realizing it my AR was on safe... I guess I left it on safe before storing it the the other day and after a chamber check this morning I just left it on safe...

I got a little scared, felt a little dirty, guilty even...

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 9:24:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I just want everyone to know that I got a little complacent today. I went out to the range and without even realizing it my AR was on safe... I guess I left it on safe before storing it the the other day and after a chamber check this morning I just left it on safe...

I got a little scared, felt a little dirty, guilty even...

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 9:36:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I have always had anal safety habits and I know damn well the weapon I cleared is fine with the safety off.  
View Quote

It is good to keep your anus safe.

Engage your safety, AKPatriot, it is an added layer of safety (and watch your cornhole, Bud).
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 9:52:52 PM EDT
[#31]
The OP is still unable to grasp the science behind someone clearing a weapon,  inserting an empty magazine,  setting it down,  and taking a picture of said weapon without being unsafe.

The OP has no freaking clue if said weapon was pointed at little kids and nuns before the picture,  or at a vest/plate.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 9:58:33 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

The OP is still unable to grasp the science behind someone clearing a weapon,  inserting an empty magazine,  setting it down,  and taking a picture of said weapon without being unsafe.

The OP has no freaking clue if said weapon was pointed at little kids and nuns before the picture,  or at a vest/plate.
View Quote
Why don't you understand treat every weapon as if it were loaded?

Don't you realize what you've said supports the OP?  

"The OP has no freaking clue if said weapon was pointed at little kids and nuns before the picture, or at a vest/plate."

Why should he NOT assume the weapon is loaded? Why not be as safe as possible?  Why willfully ignore safety?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:00:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

All weapons are always loaded.

Loaded weapons should have their safety on unless they are being fired.

Therefore, there is no situation in which an AR lying on the ground should have its safety off.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:04:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

If it's on fire with a magazine inserted, it's not clear.

Go back to weapons condition codes school.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:18:40 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Right? The avatar is saying safety expert, but the posts are saying safety poolee.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:21:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Jeffery was an advocate of safe weapons handling.

Your Glock has a safety, which is automatically engaged. It is located on the trigger.

You're welcome.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
holey shit OP is still slapping off about this crap 62 pages later? He should get an award. or at least a certificate suitable for framing

Teaching stupid people how to properly handle their ARs, is reward enough.

So was Cooper one of those "stupid people" because I don't remember him making "always use the safety" a rule.

Also, how do I put my Glock on safe? I just want to use the same "safe gun handling practices" with all of my firearms.

Jeffery was an advocate of safe weapons handling.

Your Glock has a safety, which is automatically engaged. It is located on the trigger.

You're welcome.

So what your saying is that if I just DON'T PULL THE TRIGGER then my Glock is safe if I follow the other four rules?

So why wouldn't that apply to my AR rifle?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:23:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Which room in your house was your first ND in?

Might be where you left your glock manual.
View Quote

Never had one. I keep my finger OFF the trigger unless I intend to fire my weapon, or in the case of Glocks, if I'm getting ready to strip it and then that is after I've done a chamber inspection.

In fact you you judiciously incorporate chamber inspections into your gun handling routine, it's nearly impossible to have a ND.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:35:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

So what your saying is that if I just DON'T PULL THE TRIGGER then my Glock is safe if I follow the other four rules?

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:38:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

They think that weapons safety rules don't apply to all weapons equally.

In their tiny brains, because a Glock doesn't have a manual safety, that it makes it ok to handle an AR without the safety engaged.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
why do safety violators continue to enter the thread and try to pull a "gotcha" by using the Glock as an example

They think that weapons safety rules don't apply to all weapons equally.

In their tiny brains, because a Glock doesn't have a manual safety, that it makes it ok to handle an AR without the safety engaged.

OK, let's change to SIGs.

I guess your tiny brain can't figure out that some guns DON'T HAVE A MANUAL SAFETY and SOME GUNS DO HAVE A MANUAL SAFETY. That doesn't mean you have TWO SETS of safe gun handling rules. There are four basic rules of gun safety and if you follow them all it doesn't matter what gun you have, you will be ok.

In fact, you can really get it down to two rules.

Muzzle discipline and trigger discipline.

If you DON'T PULL THE TRIGGER you won't fire your weapon (except in the case of that rare Nagoya handgun). Glocks, SIGs, ARs and AKs are all the same in this respect. Firearms don't discharge themselves. You have to pull the trigger.

If you don't point your barrel AT SOMETHING you WON'T SHOOT IT. So even if you completely screw up "DON'T PULL THE TRIGGER" if your muzzle isn't pointed at the guy next to you, your dog, your car or whatever...you WON'T SHOOT IT.

People who rely on manual safeties to make them safe can be some of the most unsafe people in the firearms community. "I thought it was ON SAFE" is second only to "I thought it wasn't loaded" when it comes to NDs.

So let's keep the priority. Which would be most important to you?

Not having a firearm pointed at you with a finger OFF the trigger but the safety OFF?
Not having a firearm pointed at you with a finger ON the trigger but the safety ON?

I'm betting you would prefer people to use "finger OFF the trigger" rather than the mechanical safety.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:43:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Correct for drum mags. But in this case, it also shows that the gun is ready to fire and is at it's highest state of potential for an ND, if the rules of safety are followed.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you KNOW that you can't chamber an open bolt machine gun?

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:43:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I guess your tiny brain can't figure out the difference between an AR and pistol
View Quote

fixed

Pistols that don't have a manual safety will have the TRIGGER COVERED BY A HOLSTER until you are getting ready to fire.

ARs have an exposed trigger 100% of the time. A finger isn't the only way the trigger can be pulled.

It's not that complicated.

ETA- nobody is saying to rely on the safety as the only measure. There's 4 rules for a reason. Use them all.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:49:24 PM EDT
[#42]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://s12.postimg.org/ggk2bcvb1/image.jpg

Sure, but rather than have one set of rules for one and one set of rules for the other, I simply apply the four rules of gun safety to both and somehow, I guess through MAGIC I've never had a safety incident.

Amazing as it sounds, and clearly elves are protecting me, I've discovered that if I keep my finger off of the trigger the gun WON'T fire all by itself and if I don't point it at something, it's impossible to actually shoot that thing.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:51:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Sure, but rather than have one set of rules for one and one set of rules for the other, I simply apply the four rules of gun safety to both and somehow, I guess through MAGIC I've never had a safety incident.

Amazing as it sounds, and clearly elves are protecting me, I've discovered that if I keep my finger off of the trigger the gun WON'T fire all by itself and if I don't point it at something, it's impossible to actually shoot that thing.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And what happens when you're walking through brush with a condition 1 weapon in a sling and a branch gets caught in the trigger guard?

Don't be ridiculous. Use a safety if so equipped.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:52:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haha... This should be good.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:53:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Right? The avatar is saying safety expert, but the posts are saying safety poolee.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This thread is awesome.  

I just pointed out that one can take a pic of a weapon with a mag in,  off safe,  without it ever pointing at someone or having a round in the chamber.   That is all.

But,  being a regular grunt,  I didn't click my safety off and on between targets like all the tier-dudes on here did when they were deployed.....

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:01:12 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

fixed

Pistols that don't have a manual safety will have the TRIGGER COVERED BY A HOLSTER until you are getting ready to fire.

ARs have an exposed trigger 100% of the time. A finger isn't the only way the trigger can be pulled.

ETA- nobody is saying to rely on the safety as the only measure. There's 4 rules for a reason. Use them all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess your tiny brain can't figure out the difference between an AR and pistol

fixed

Hanguns in a holster are the equivalent of a rifle in a case.

SAFE GUN HANDLING is when you take the handgun out of the holster or the rifle out of the case.

This stupid "You must ALWAYS engage your mechanical safety, even if just taking a gun from the safe and putting it back" crap is as absurd as the people who used to insist that Condition Three was the ONLY safe way to carry a firearm.

Now here is the part some of you don't seem to get.

CONDITION THREE is safer. That is because there isn't a round in the chamber.
Manual safety ON is safer. That is because there is an additional safety feature engaged.

However, that doesn't mean CONDITION ONE becomes UNSAFE any more than not using the safety becomes UNSAFE.

Now I know that just went right over some people's heads so let me try this. Safe gun handling is about the "handling" and not the "gun." Again, except for a Nagoya and a few other rare firearms, guns aren't safe or unsafe. People are safe and unsafe.

But I guess it's fair that if someone really does depend upon a manual safety to keep them safe, THAT PERSON probably should use a manual safety. They should probably ALSO only carry in Condition Three. After all...it's safer.

In fact, I think I'm going to start a 65 page thread declaring Condition Three to be the only TRULY SAFE method and calling out anyone who does unsafe things like carrying with a round chambered. Of course some jackass will probably come along and ask about revolvers because that is what people always do when they don't understand Condition Three is the only truly safe way to carry a firearm.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:07:13 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

SAFE GUN HANDLING is when you take the handgun out of the holster or the rifle out of the case.

This stupid "You must ALWAYS engage your mechanical safety, even if just taking a gun from the safe and putting it back" crap is as absurd as the people who used to insist that Condition Three was the ONLY safe way to carry a firearm.

Manual safety ON is safer. That is because there is an additional safety feature engaged.

However, that doesn't mean CONDITION ONE becomes UNSAFE any more than not using the safety becomes UNSAFE.

Now I know that just went right over some people's heads so let me try this. Safe gun handling is about the "handling" and not the "gun." Again, except for a Nagoya and a few other rare firearms, guns aren't safe or unsafe. People are safe and unsafe.

But I guess it's fair that if someone really does depend upon a manual safety to keep them safe, THAT PERSON probably should use a manual safety. They should probably ALSO only carry in Condition Three. After all...it's safer.

In fact, I think I'm going to start a 65 page thread declaring Condition Three to be the only TRULY SAFE method and calling out anyone who does unsafe things like carrying with a round chambered. Of course some jackass will probably come along and ask about revolvers because that is what people always do when they don't understand Condition Three is the only truly safe way to carry a firearm.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

fixed

The part that YOU seem to be missing is that there is a completely legit and obvious reason why one may have a weapon in condition 1. 3 is safer sure, but it also requires charging the weapon and is slower.

Safety on is safer and there's NO good reason to leave the safety off on an AR. None whatsoever. If disengaging the safety slows down putting rounds on target then you suck at life and need to practice more.

So, I've demonstrated why your condition 3 VS 1 analogy doesn't apply. I've also shown you why you should use a safety. Care to explain why one wouldn't use a safety on an AR? What's the good reason for that?
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:08:20 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

And what happens when you're walking through brush with a condition 1 weapon in a sling and a branch gets caught in the trigger guard?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh now we are outside walking? I thought we were just taking pictures.

But to answer your question.

If it's an AR I probably have my finger in a blocking position protecting the trigger.
Or if I need my hands, the AR is then slung to the rear.
I also just don't go shoving through brush that might scratch the hell out of my firearm.

Again, it's probably been MAGIC but I actually haven't had any problem walking through wooded areas with a rifle. Usually I sling it to the rear and generally trees don't attack me and grab at my rifle.

But you are giving me awesome ideas. I'm going to invent a trigger guard GUARD. Sort of like a muzzle cap, I'm going to make some crap out of plastic that snaps in place fully enclosing the trigger guard area "thus guarding the trigger" so trees,  brush, wizards and things like that cannot jump out and actuate your trigger against your wishing.

I can call it a trigger condom, for some reason "trigger guard" is already taken.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:10:20 AM EDT
[#49]
On an AR you can't engage the safety if the hammer is down.

Meaning the AR has at some point before our arfcom antihero laid his rifle down for a picture, has dry fired the weapon.

There is no reason the store an AR with the hammer down.

That's what this thread is about.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:12:04 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

If it's an AR I probably have my finger in a blocking position protecting the trigger.
I also just don't go shoving through brush that might scratch the hell out of my firearm.

Again, it's probably been MAGIC but I actually haven't had any problem walking through wooded areas with a rifle. Usually I sling it to the rear and generally trees don't attack me and grab at my rifle.

But you are giving me awesome ideas. I'm going to invent a trigger guard GUARD. Sort of like a muzzle cap, I'm going to make some crap out of plastic that snaps in place fully enclosing the trigger guard area "thus guarding the trigger" so trees,  brush, wizards and things like that cannot jump out and actuate your trigger against your wishing.

I can call it a trigger condom, for some reason "trigger guard" is already taken.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL. You think you're pretty clever.

So the trigger guard will prevent anything from getting in there and pulling the trigger? Funny.

So you admit you carry your AR around condition 1 and off safe? Seriously?

You're also scared of scratching your rifle...just keeps getting better. You're one of those "I've always done it this way, so it must be the right way!" type of guys. Your type are the worst.
Page / 102
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top