[#2]
Herpes thread.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 3:45:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Herpes thread.
View Quote

If by that you mean safe weapons handling is highly contagious and can never be gotten rid of, hell yeah it's a herpes thread...
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 3:54:39 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
If by that you mean safe weapons handling is highly contagious and can never be gotten rid of, hell yeah it's a herpes thread...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Herpes thread.

Except for those safety violators that pick the scabs. You KNOW they know better, you tell them over and over again, but... they just pick away.

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 5:47:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You say that like there are not multiple rules of safety and safe practices. It of course can't be me, because I practice the four rules so a safety failing would be mitigated by other rules and practices. Nothing of note would happen to be funny, just... more safety. The same can be said for anyone here that practices risk mitigation techniques.

Also, are you implying that you would sabotage somebodies weapon to "prove" that safeties fail"?  You realize that logically that does not support your point, and implying you would take a dremel to a persons rifle to make it unsafe just cements your status as a safety violation advocate.  In a thread about serious discussion of safety, what you imply is simply the worst kind of ideology.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
When I got back from 03, we picked up a new Platoon Sgt who issued out blanks every field op and everyone had to carry con 1 in the field to ensure people didn't get complacent.  

That's a good idea.

I should sneak into safety violators' houses, and put blanks in their chambers. Like a safety Santa.

Then eat their milk and cookies, and leave before they can wake up and ND.

You bring the blanks, I'll bring the Dremel.  Could be pretty funny when he goes on his demonstration that an AR's safety cannot fail.  

Edit to add, not to name names it wasn't Madcap72.  
You say that like there are not multiple rules of safety and safe practices. It of course can't be me, because I practice the four rules so a safety failing would be mitigated by other rules and practices. Nothing of note would happen to be funny, just... more safety. The same can be said for anyone here that practices risk mitigation techniques.

Also, are you implying that you would sabotage somebodies weapon to "prove" that safeties fail"?  You realize that logically that does not support your point, and implying you would take a dremel to a persons rifle to make it unsafe just cements your status as a safety violation advocate.  In a thread about serious discussion of safety, what you imply is simply the worst kind of ideology.

all mechanical devices fail, WHEN I CUT THEM IN HALF
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 5:51:53 PM EDT
[#6]
In on 50.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 5:54:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Snip

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 6:42:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Dear Mister_H-

I'm a military officer and many of my troops are wandering around with loaded weapons.

I don't think one clearing barrel is enough, and I've ordered clearing barrels attached to the end of all weapons. You ought to see the beauty we put on the Mark 19!

Do you think I went overboard? After all, it is for safety.

Signed-

CompanyGradeOfficerwithFieldGradeideas
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 6:48:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
When I got back from 03, we picked up a new Platoon Sgt who issued out blanks every field op and everyone had to carry con 1 in the field to ensure people didn't get complacent.  

That's a good idea.

I should sneak into safety violators' houses, and put blanks in their chambers. Like a safety Santa.

Then eat their milk and cookies, and leave before they can wake up and ND.

You bring the blanks, I'll bring the Dremel.  Could be pretty funny when he goes on his demonstration that an AR's safety cannot fail.  

Edit to add, not to name names it wasn't Madcap72.  

I was replying to a post that wasn't so serious.

I even edited my post, as my original reply would imply you when in fact I did not mean to.  Pre-coffee post.  Lighten up.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 6:52:42 PM EDT
[#10]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Snip

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/r5g_gs6nnyo/hqdefault.jpg

This guy underestimated Gremlins, and he be dead now.

Never get complacent with a safety.  
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 7:27:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

So you had an ND because you didn't treat a firearm as it it was loaded, but continue similar practices?

Professionals understand safety science and only come off safe when they are about to shoot something.
Gross safety violator amateurs put holes in stuff when they didn't mean to.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The stupidity in this thread is the idea that anyone "ensures their chamber is clear by dropping the hammer".  

If one is doing that, it wont be long before they remove themselves from the shooting pool and possibly the gene pool.  

I drop the hammer on an empty chamber, verified by visual and physical inspection, prior to storing the firearm.  I am not using the hammer to verify shit, I know the firearm is empty.  

I will not change my personal habit because some idiot thinks that somehow a round might miracle it's way into the chamber in the time it takes for the bolt to close, the safety to rotate and the trigger to be pulled.  I am closing on 50 years of life on this planet, been pulling triggers since I was 8, have owned a Colt SP1 since I graduated from High School in 85, and have never once had a firearm that I knew to be empty, by visual and physical inspection, discharge a round.  

Yes, I had an ND once.  It was because I violated Rule 1 and did not treat the firearm as though it were loaded.  I put the rifle to my shoulder (the above mentioned Colt) assumed a proper off-hand shooting position, obtained a proper sight picture on an imaginary dot on the wall of the closet, and pulled the trigger.  I was 22 at the time.  I have used my failure as an example of improper handling in the training of young Marine's attending the School of Infantry, and in the instruction and mentoring of young Air Force troops, not to mention Boy Scouts, my own children, nieces and nephews and soon, my granddaughter.  

Further, I find it very hard to take serious any adult who uses the term "gross" like some 12 year old girl.  

So you had an ND because you didn't treat a firearm as it it was loaded, but continue similar practices?

Professionals understand safety science and only come off safe when they are about to shoot something.

Skeeter Skelton, who by anyone's measure, was a professional firearms handler, had 3 ND's in his lifetime.  ND #1 was when he was a young man, fiddling with his mothers .32 Auto.  He put a nice hole in the floor in her bedroom.  #2 occurred as an adult, when, having returned from showing a new firearm to a friend, could not resist a quick draw on himself in his wife's full length mirror.  He killed said mirror.  #3 was with a newly acquired 1911 with a light trigger.  He was riding around his property in his truck, saw a jackrabbit and decided to give the pistol a workout.  Round #2 killed the jackrabbit dead, while round one killed the heater core in his truck.  

Even professionals make mistakes.  It is how one responds to those mistakes that separate the men from the boys.  I violated the rules with my ND, but am professional enough to admit to it, and to use it as an example during periods of instruction.  In the almost 26 years since then, I have not come close to repeating that mistake.  

That I choose to store my firearms de-cocked is unsafe only in your mind, because, as I have explained, I perform a visual and physical inspection of the chamber before immediately releasing the bolt, taking it off safe and pulling the trigger.  There is no way for a round to be introduced to the chamber during this procedure unless it is somehow de-materialized from my ammo storage locker and re-materialized in the fuckin chamber.  It just cannot happen.  And this is only done with firearms that I am storing.  

I store my firearms this way not because I do not understand springs, and not because I ignore the safety or the science.  I do this simply because it is a personal preference.  

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:05:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Dear Mister_H-

I'm a military officer and many of my troops are wandering around with loaded weapons.

I don't think one clearing barrel is enough, and I've ordered clearing barrels attached to the end of all weapons. You ought to see the beauty we put on the Mark 19!

Do you think I went overboard? After all, it is for safety.

Signed-

CompanyGradeOfficerwithFieldGradeideas
View Quote

Clearing barrel muzzle caps! Genius.

That's some forward thinking, sir!
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:06:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Back fo fidy!
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:09:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I store my firearms this way not because I do not understand springs, and not because I ignore the safety or the science.  I do this simply because it is a personal preference.  

View Quote

Oh, I get it. You were born this way.

Congratulations.

I think that is fabulous that we live in a country where we are free to make gross decisions.

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:40:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Skeeter Skelton, who by anyone's measure, was a professional firearms handler, had 3 ND's in his lifetime.  ND #1 was when he was a young man, fiddling with his mothers .32 Auto.  He put a nice hole in the floor in her bedroom.  #2 occurred as an adult, when, having returned from showing a new firearm to a friend, could not resist a quick draw on himself in his wife's full length mirror.  He killed said mirror.  #3 was with a newly acquired 1911 with a light trigger.  He was riding around his property in his truck, saw a jackrabbit and decided to give the pistol a workout.  Round #2 killed the jackrabbit dead, while round one killed the heater core in his truck.  

Even professionals make mistakes.  It is how one responds to those mistakes that separate the men from the boys.  I violated the rules with my ND, but am professional enough to admit to it, and to use it as an example during periods of instruction.  In the almost 26 years since then, I have not come close to repeating that mistake.  

That I choose to store my firearms de-cocked is unsafe only in your mind, because, as I have explained, I perform a visual and physical inspection of the chamber before immediately releasing the bolt, taking it off safe and pulling the trigger.  There is no way for a round to be introduced to the chamber during this procedure unless it is somehow de-materialized from my ammo storage locker and re-materialized in the fuckin chamber.  It just cannot happen.  And this is only done with firearms that I am storing.  

I store my firearms this way not because I do not understand springs, and not because I ignore the safety or the science. I do this simply because it is a personal preference.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The stupidity in this thread is the idea that anyone "ensures their chamber is clear by dropping the hammer".  

If one is doing that, it wont be long before they remove themselves from the shooting pool and possibly the gene pool.  

I drop the hammer on an empty chamber, verified by visual and physical inspection, prior to storing the firearm.  I am not using the hammer to verify shit, I know the firearm is empty.  

I will not change my personal habit because some idiot thinks that somehow a round might miracle it's way into the chamber in the time it takes for the bolt to close, the safety to rotate and the trigger to be pulled.  I am closing on 50 years of life on this planet, been pulling triggers since I was 8, have owned a Colt SP1 since I graduated from High School in 85, and have never once had a firearm that I knew to be empty, by visual and physical inspection, discharge a round.  

Yes, I had an ND once.  It was because I violated Rule 1 and did not treat the firearm as though it were loaded.  I put the rifle to my shoulder (the above mentioned Colt) assumed a proper off-hand shooting position, obtained a proper sight picture on an imaginary dot on the wall of the closet, and pulled the trigger.  I was 22 at the time.  I have used my failure as an example of improper handling in the training of young Marine's attending the School of Infantry, and in the instruction and mentoring of young Air Force troops, not to mention Boy Scouts, my own children, nieces and nephews and soon, my granddaughter.  

Further, I find it very hard to take serious any adult who uses the term "gross" like some 12 year old girl.  

I store my firearms this way not because I do not understand springs, and not because I ignore the safety or the science. I do this simply because it is a personal preference.  

So, you'll readily admit, then, that your method brings nothing to the table other than placating some inner desire to continue with a long-standing habit, right?

Now, will you also admit that Mister_H's method actually brings something to the table other than such a desire? Namely, it continues the practice of not manipulating the trigger when the rifle is not pointed at a target which you are intending to engage-one of the preeminent safety rules. And, it also brings to the table the ability to tell from a distance that, even though you are unsure of the condition of the chamber, you can be assured that the rifle is as safe as mechanically possible, given the almost unheard of chances of an AR safety failing.

Let's talk hypothetically; and, for purely hypothetical purposes, let's assume that the person in question is a bachelor, with no kids, and that they follow the storage procedure you espouse-as you said, you've taught it to Marines and Airmen, many of whom we can assume are childless bachelors-they have no wife or kids who might be familiar with how they store their guns. They store all of their guns with the safety off and hammer down. On the way home from work one evening, they're killed in a car accident. After the funeral, their next-of-kin, a person with just the bare minimum of experience with firearms, comes over to take possession of their guns-maybe they'll keep them, maybe they'll give them away, maybe they'll sell them to a pawn shop for pennies on the dollar. When they open the safe, how are they to know, at a glance, that those rifles are safe? Using your method, those rifles could be safe, or they could be ready to fire. It's impossible to tell without manipulating the action. If the safety is engaged, they can just look down at it and know with some certainty that it's safe. Granted, if the person who stored the rifles religiously followed your procedure, the rifle would be safe. But, what if they failed to clear it properly the last time they put the gun away? After all, you, yourself, admit that you once had an ND when you were younger because you failed to follow the rules. Maybe the last time they touched the gun before the car accident was the one time they failed to follow your storage procedure rules and they left a round in the chamber.

With your method, should a person other than yourself have reason to handle your rifle, there is a question as to the safe condition of the rifle. With Mister_H's method, even a rank amateur can look at another person's rifle and tell that it is safe and will most likely not discharge, negligently or accidentally.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:43:26 PM EDT
[#16]
I thing the best rational so far for condition 4 AR storage, is that upon retrieving the firearm, checking condition, loading and charging the weapon is in an intrinsically safer mode without having to spend time in a less safe mode.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:05:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Another glaring safety violation is when keeping an AR hammer down, loaded mag inserted, if they want to charge the weapon, they have to do it with the selector on fire.

Who charges their weapon with it on fire?

Safety violators and sloppy amateurs, that's who.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:06:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Another glaring safety violation is when keeping an AR hammer down, loaded mag inserted, if they want to charge the weapon, they have to do it with the selector on fire.

View Quote

People with 1911s.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:08:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

People with 1911s.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

People with 1911s.

1911 makes an AR now???  
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:16:47 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
1911 makes an AR now???  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

People with 1911s.

1911 makes an AR now???  
Trans-platform elective surgery....

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:19:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Lol.

Topic: How to properly handle an AR.

Responses: Mah Revolva!

Mah Glock haas nah safeties!

Mah Cival Wah cannon haas nah safeties!
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:23:30 PM EDT
[#22]
At first I thought this thread was stupid, and the OP was a dick; but its actually made me rethink a few things.

Now I just think the OP is a dick.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 11:05:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
At first I thought this thread was stupid, and the OP was a dick; but its actually made me rethink a few things.

View Quote

No need for the bruised eye/beaten wife emoticon. Rethinking things is smart, and is what a logical person would do when presented with facts.

I may come off as a complete dickhead, but I assure you, in person I am very handsome, unseasonably tan, fresh smelling, and tall.

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 11:26:04 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
No need for the bruised eye/beaten wife emoticon. Rethinking things is smart, and is what a logical person would do when presented with facts.

I may come off as a complete dickhead, but I assure you, in person I am very handsome, unseasonably tan, fresh smelling, and tall.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's July

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 11:43:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
It's July  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's July  

Correct.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 5:21:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Already been covered.

1. This practice has lead to many ND's
2. There is absolutely, 100%, no reason to drop the hammer on an empty chamber for storage. None whatsoever.

Someone saying a weapon should stay on safe doesn't make them a safety nazi. It's one of the 4 rules and is common sense.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
how can I ND if my hammer is down on an empty chamber?

http://i.imgur.com/HUExUO5.gif

When you go to drop the hammer, there may be a round in the chamber.

So at the stage you store/handle your weapon, you would have already had the ND, and would be standing by for follow on NDs.

He just said an empty chamber safety Nazi.  Obviously one has to look into the chamber before calling it an empty chamber.
Many people drop that hammer on an empty chamber before storage, meaning you cant put the AR on "safe"

Already been covered.

1. This practice has lead to many ND's
2. There is absolutely, 100%, no reason to drop the hammer on an empty chamber for storage. None whatsoever.

Someone saying a weapon should stay on safe doesn't make them a safety nazi. It's one of the 4 rules and is common sense.

Meh, depends on much attention a person pays to detail.  No one touches my gun safe but me.  I know the condition of all my guns, which is always unloaded if in the safe.  Keeping the trigger pulled is retarded, and serves no purpose...some of you guys are too much, way too much.
Clearing a weapon is not rocket science, so don't make it be.  
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 5:52:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Meh, depends on much attention a person pays to detail.  No one touches my gun safe but me.  I know the condition of all my guns, which is always unloaded if in the safe.  I don't personally keep the trigger pulled (hammer up), but I don't see anything wrong with it.  Some of you guys are too much...way too much.
View Quote

Dropping the hammer has no tangible benefit. Additionally, it introduces the opportunity to have a negligent discharge.

Beyond those facts, it is a generally sloppy habit, and is a poor weapons handling practice.

The pros use their safety on their ARs, there is no reason to not use it.

You're welcome.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 7:21:11 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Meh, depends on much attention a person pays to detail.  No one touches my gun safe but me.  I know the condition of all my guns, which is always unloaded if in the safe.  I don't personally keep the trigger pulled (hammer up), but I don't see anything wrong with it.  Some of you guys are too much...way too much.

View Quote
It's not rocket science, it's firearms safety science.  There has been lots of evidence shared here that dropping the hammer leads to ND's.

"I'm the only one that touches my guns", "It's (I know it's) not loaded", and similar saying are all indicators of lack of serious safety.

Checking weapon condition when you pick it up and ensuring it is in the appropriate condition, and rechecking and clearing before performing any administrative tasks such as cleaning or dry fire, and following safety rules without trying to convince anyone of there being a perceived need not to is the hallmark of professionals.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:11:33 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Meh.
26 years in the army.
combat arms.

I was wrong the whole time and MisterH is right.

it happens.  learn.  move on, be thankful you didn't put one through the wall or your kid doing something stupid and spread the word.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:37:06 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Meh.
26 years in the army.
combat arms.

it happens.  learn.  move on, be thankful you didn't put one through the wall or your kid doing something stupid and spread the word.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meh.
26 years in the army.
combat arms.

That's why I love you bro. Logical to a fault, like a safety robot.

You'll always be my George W., my sweet smelling prince of safety.

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 10:40:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

So instead of just following the well established rules, you're going to trust your own attention to detail is perfect, every single time, without fail? There's a reason all the rules overlap. And you never explained why you feel your way makes sense beyond "personal preference"
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 10:55:51 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

So instead of just following the well established rules, you're going to trust your own attention to detail is perfect, every single time, without fail? There's a reason all the rules overlap. And you never explained why you feel your way makes sense beyond "personal preference"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He may be doing it based off of his inner voice telling him to be true to his natural safety violator character traits.

I have learned in this thread that some safety violators aren't safety violators by choice.

Although they understand the safety rules, and how springs work, they are compelled to adopt gross weapons handling habits. Not out of choice. Never out of choice.

The decision was made for them. They were born this way.

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 11:46:45 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This guy gets it.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:46:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:51:50 PM EDT
[#35]

I am entertained that you are able to find the perfect Pelosi pictures to make the perfect meme for your responses.

That is rather impressive!
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:54:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
This is my face when I see a picture of an AR laying on the ground with the magazine inserted, selector on fire.

http://i57.tinypic.com/16k4yol.jpg

Please follow the basic firearms safety rules. The selector should be on safe.

And don't give me thisismysafety.jpg, you're ARFCOM, your weapon should be on safe.
View Quote

Wrong.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:59:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I am entertained that you are able to find the perfect Pelosi pictures to make the perfect meme for your responses.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

His iron stomach is even more impressive.  

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 1:02:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Wrong.
View Quote

Science is proof.

I am right.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 1:04:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Pelosi is my spirit animal.

She comes to me throughout the day in visions, and delivers delicious truths. They hit like waves against a beaten shore.

This is my curse, my safety, my hammer cocked.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 1:30:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Wrong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is my face when I see a picture of an AR laying on the ground with the magazine inserted, selector on fire.

http://i57.tinypic.com/16k4yol.jpg

Please follow the basic firearms safety rules. The selector should be on safe.

And don't give me thisismysafety.jpg, you're ARFCOM, your weapon should be on safe.

Wrong.

LOL... The cycle repeats in order to complete.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 2:42:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

She comes to me throughout the day in visions, and delivers delicious truths. They hit like waves against a beaten shore.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You use your mouth purtier than a $20 whore.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 3:58:50 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View Quote
I find it hard to take seriously the views on safety employment of someone who told us the M9 has no safety.

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 4:15:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I find it hard to take seriously the views on safety employment of someone who told us the M9 has no safety.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bro, it's a decocker
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 4:21:17 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No offense, safebro, but I hope your spirit animal gets hit by a truck.

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 4:21:56 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Bro, it's a decocker
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bro, it's a decocker
And a safety, which you perfectly well know.

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 5:09:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bro, it's a decocker

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 5:14:44 PM EDT
[#47]
50 PAGES!!!!
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 5:30:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
50 PAGES!!!!
View Quote

And all of them have been on topic. Imagine that...
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 5:37:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Unload
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 5:37:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Show clear
Page / 102
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top