User Panel

Page / 102
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 8:05:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The bottom line is this:

They are not concerned that your have properly cleared the weapon and then pulled the trigger in a 100% safe direction (this covers dry firing and function checking).

They are not concerned that you have an AR with a round in the chamber on fire while taking your picture (I mean, if you do, you are dumber than anyone in this thread so far).

They are concerned that if you incorporate pulling the trigger into your clearing procedure and it becomes a habit. Then if one day in the future you accidentally make a mistake and miss a loaded round in the chamber (say, you accidentally leave the mag in while "clearing" the weapon) then you are guaranteeing an ND when you pull that trigger. If, at the same time you are complacent in your "safe direction", as can possibly happen if you are routinely dropping the hammer on your gun, then this ND can turn into a real tragedy.

This is the argument for 101 pages.

Pulling the trigger on your gun as a matter of habit can built complacency. And with many things, including firearms, complacency kills.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How the hell did this thread go to 101 pages, ha, WTF people. If the gun is unloaded I could care less if it's on safe or not. It's unloaded, then it's safe. Make sure it's empty and safe and a take a pic however you want. If you shoot yourself, then you're an idiot. Maybe I'll take a pic of my selector in full-auto just to piss you guys off, haha. But seriously you guys need to lighten up, geez... Up next, a pic of a Glock, is it safe? The slide is forward, there could be a chambered round, it's an unsafe picture!!! Nooo!!!!
The bottom line is this:

They are not concerned that your have properly cleared the weapon and then pulled the trigger in a 100% safe direction (this covers dry firing and function checking).

They are not concerned that you have an AR with a round in the chamber on fire while taking your picture (I mean, if you do, you are dumber than anyone in this thread so far).

They are concerned that if you incorporate pulling the trigger into your clearing procedure and it becomes a habit. Then if one day in the future you accidentally make a mistake and miss a loaded round in the chamber (say, you accidentally leave the mag in while "clearing" the weapon) then you are guaranteeing an ND when you pull that trigger. If, at the same time you are complacent in your "safe direction", as can possibly happen if you are routinely dropping the hammer on your gun, then this ND can turn into a real tragedy.

Pulling the trigger on your gun as a matter of habit can built complacency. And with many things, including firearms, complacency kills.

thats about it.   The only viable argument is the whole unloading spring tension, but the fact is its an irrelevant factor outside the M16A2/M4 family of weapons (apparently the burst mechanism actually does have some issues with this).  But no one outside the military is stupid enough to have a burst cam instead of an actual full auto.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 8:17:47 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
thats about it.   The only viable argument is the whole unloading spring tension, but the fact is its an irrelevant factor outside the M16A2/M4 family of weapons (apparently the burst mechanism actually does have some issues with this).  But no one outside the military is stupid enough to have a burst cam instead of an actual full auto.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How the hell did this thread go to 101 pages, ha, WTF people. If the gun is unloaded I could care less if it's on safe or not. It's unloaded, then it's safe. Make sure it's empty and safe and a take a pic however you want. If you shoot yourself, then you're an idiot. Maybe I'll take a pic of my selector in full-auto just to piss you guys off, haha. But seriously you guys need to lighten up, geez... Up next, a pic of a Glock, is it safe? The slide is forward, there could be a chambered round, it's an unsafe picture!!! Nooo!!!!
The bottom line is this:

They are concerned that if you incorporate pulling the trigger into your clearing procedure and it becomes a habit. Then if one day in the future you accidentally make a mistake and miss a loaded round in the chamber (say, you accidentally leave the mag in while "clearing" the weapon) then you are guaranteeing an ND when you pull that trigger. If, at the same time you are complacent in your "safe direction", as can possibly easily happen if you are routinely dropping the hammer on your gun, then this ND can turn into a real tragedy.

You know me, I made an edit, changed "possibly" to "easily".

Link Posted: 4/17/2016 10:41:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The only viable argument is the whole unloading spring tension, but the fact is its an irrelevant factor outside the M16A2/M4 family of weapons (apparently the burst mechanism actually does have some issues with this).  But no one outside the military is stupid enough to have a burst cam instead of an actual full auto.
View Quote

Even so, who has seen a hammer spring break or fail while in the military? I haven't, and we stored ours on safe.

Saw bolts break, and barrels get shot out. I saw a buttstock/buffer tube shear off from impact. Even have seen a few baffle strikes.

Someone has to have seen a hammer spring fail while in. I would like to hear about it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 10:47:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 1:07:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I've never seen one fail that wasn't tampered with.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only viable argument is the whole unloading spring tension, but the fact is its an irrelevant factor outside the M16A2/M4 family of weapons (apparently the burst mechanism actually does have some issues with this).  But no one outside the military is stupid enough to have a burst cam instead of an actual full auto.

Even so, who has seen a hammer spring break or fail while in the military? I haven't, and we stored ours on safe.

Saw bolts break, and barrels get shot out. I saw a buttstock/buffer tube shear off from impact. Even have seen a few baffle strikes.

Someone has to have seen a hammer spring fail while in. I would like to hear about it.

I've never seen one fail that wasn't tampered with.

I have seen several dozen from Basic Training weapons (i.e. weapons pool rifles).  It was usually a partial, lower-third break on one leg.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 1:08:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 1:19:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I have seen several dozen from Basic Training weapons (i.e. weapons pool rifles).  It was usually a partial, lower-third break on one leg.
View Quote

It's just as fellow scientist William Gazelle had foretold!
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:48:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That always gets me.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 5:46:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Bump... just to be annoying.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 6:25:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Stay safe, everyone.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 11:20:51 PM EDT
[#11]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_75/1863297_Witnessed_my_first_ND_today.html

Remember safety friends.

If you see something, say something.
Page / 102
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top