Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 100
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 12:51:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:  Not sure I follow what you're saying, but here is what I know (or think I know):
  • Various lowers made for AK mags over the years but built to standard lower dimensions will usually take a standard upper provided it is on the wide side and has enough space to widen the magazine opening at the bottom without going through the surrounding metal.  There are some photos running around the net that I can't find with a search tonight showing how to widen the cutout in an upper to work on some of these lowers, and also how some uppers aren't wide enough.

• This is even the case for those, like PSA, who maintained standard dimensions on the lower even while making changes to the upper.

• This is not the case for those, like CMMG, who (so far as I can tell) changed dimensions of the lower, making them unique and incompatible with other uppers and lowers.

• The new PSA uppers designed for their AK-mag lowers will work on a conventional lower also, so would presumably also work on any other AK-mag lower that was built to standard dimensions (MGI, Rock River, etc.).

• Whatever the case, I gather these AR/AK hybrids are far more sensitive to the tolerance envelope of AK magazines than an AK or an SKS-M is.

• I could be wrong on several of these points, not having worked with any of the AK-mag lowers.
View Quote

If you're correct, that's very good news, and I can see an AK magwell lower in my future, UniMag notwithstanding.

KAK, I think, was the 1st, in response to a low-volume trial for Special Operations Command.  Standard length upper (I believe) and AK magwell.  Only a few were produced, and none for civilian sale.

Perhaps a couple of other companies tried the AK magwell, but MGI was the only one that stuck it out.

Now we have PSA, which sounds good if there's any documentation that it takes a standard length upper, and Rock River, which I thought I'd read was completely proprietary, though I may be confusing it w/ CMMG's Mutant.

The Mutant is a really good idea, albeit non-compatible - which makes it a perfect candidate to beat the Massachusetts AG about the head with.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 2:22:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Now we have PSA, which sounds good if there's any documentation that it takes a standard length upper, and Rock River, which I thought I'd read was completely proprietary, though I may be confusing it w/ CMMG's Mutant.
View Quote

PSA now catalogs a BCG which will work on either a conventional 7.62x39 AR or their AK mag setup, indicating they didn't mess with the dimensions (even of the bolt diameter).  The same is true for their 7.62x39 uppers, at least the only ones (sold out) on their site right now; they will fit either the AK mag PSA lower or a conventional lower.

Further reading indicates that in addition to an upper needing a wider than normal hole for the magazine, the bolt carrier needs to be slotted so that it will be able to travel over the feed lips of the AK magazine.  Perhaps that is the difference between PSA's new "Hybrid" BCG and their old conventional 7.62x39 BCG.

I'll probably get into the AK magazine ARs at some point, but the presumed very long wait times that the pre-41f rush introduced to SBR stamps is a bit of a buzzkill to any sense of urgency (at least unless as November draws near the Democrats look likely to take both halves of Congress (doubtful) as well as the presidency (quite likely) in which case it will be time to buy a lifetime supply of black rifles).

No last round bolt hold open, but quite a lot higher capacities available than I see in currently available 7.62x39 AR magazines.  I like the idea.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 2:26:46 AM EDT
[#3]
sup folks
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 3:09:19 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

sup folks
View Quote
How's it going?

Link Posted: 7/22/2016 3:10:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
How's it going?  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
sup folks
How's it going?  

good.. day at the beach with the fam was nice...

catching up on tv... watching new hbo show vice principals... pretty funny so far...

you??
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 3:28:00 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

catching up on tv... watching new hbo show vice principals... pretty funny so far...

you??
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

sup folks
How's it going?  

you??
Working for the next 8 days in a row and then my glorious one day weekend will be spent helping someone move

Link Posted: 7/22/2016 4:21:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Working for the next 8 days in a row and then my glorious one day weekend will be spent helping someone move  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
sup folks
How's it going?  

you??

oh fuck that man... that sucks, but at least you're helping someone out, that's nice of you.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 4:25:46 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
oh fuck that man... that sucks, but at least you're helping someone out, that's nice of you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I've decided I'm going to start holding my back and groaning when I stand up so people stop asking me to do shit.

Although when my mom was living out here she asked me to redo the floors in her house a couple days after I broke 2 ribs.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 11:58:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Home.  It's good to be home.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 12:31:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've decided I'm going to start holding my back and groaning when I stand up so people stop asking me to do shit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Truck owners quickly learn to offer the keys when people ask for help moving.

Quoted:
Home.  It's good to be home.

Welcome back.  Glad you survived America's Least Correctly Named Inn.

No DFW guns shows this weekend.  You could have nipped down to San Antone for one though.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 12:34:57 AM EDT
[#11]
DNC emails make interesting reading.  From the tone and language of their emails, seems like they have a spectacularly messed up workplace, quite aside from all of the shenanigans with the press, funding, and doing the Sanders campaign wrong.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 2:22:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Although when my mom was living out here she asked me to redo the floors in her house a couple days after I broke 2 ribs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

sweet then you could get on disability and ebt.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 3:03:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the spirit.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 3:08:27 AM EDT
[#14]
I see that shit everyday at work. If you're truly hurt and can't work, I get it. Hey, if you're old or sick or really need some assistance, I get that too.

But god damn when I see that card pulled out of a Gucci bag or some young healthy fuck walks in with that card or some fat ass lazy coworker is out on leave bc of 'back pain' I start seeing red man....
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 6:42:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Damn, 8I'm tired and can barely keep my eyes open.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 8:06:21 AM EDT
[#16]
and i'm up for work now... morning gents and ladies... hasta mañana night...
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 12:53:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Blown up BlackHawk

Holy bejesus, how do you blow up a super blackhawk?
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 1:06:50 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Blown up BlackHawk

View Quote
Double charge

Link Posted: 7/24/2016 1:19:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Double charge  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Blown up BlackHawk

Double charge  

Yup.  Sold a former Californian his first pistol tonight.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 1:40:34 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Double charge  

I thought they gave you one when you moved to Texas
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 2:04:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Double charge  

Wat.  
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 2:18:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Wat.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wat.  

Let us know when y'all escape to the Lone Star Republic.  One of us here can probably hook you up with a welcome gift that goes bang (or will if you supply a parts kit ).
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 2:28:45 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Let us know when y'all escape to the Lone Star Republic.  One of us here can probably hook you up with a welcome gift that goes bang (or will if you supply a parts kit ).
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wat.  

Lol ill be going to az most likely
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 12:13:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wat.  

I'm thinking up north myself.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 12:22:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Why in the world would you go from one commie state to another?
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 12:27:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Small victory today.

Fella comes in for a shotgun, put him in a $190 pump.  Get the FBI approval, all the paperwork's done, about to call the manager to check the gun out.

"Sir, the FBI has approved you to buy any number of long guns today, but at the moment I've just got one written down."

"Well, I was looking for a deer rifle..."

Sent him home w/ a $300 deer rifle combo too.  

And I sold a "non-displayed" gun this morning, as well.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 12:44:45 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
And I sold a "non-displayed" gun this morning, as well.
View Quote

Do y'all still get DPMS G2s?  If so, what do they run these days?  Not sure I'd want to SBR a large frame, so probably no worries about a two-year stamp wait.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 12:54:30 AM EDT
[#28]
I don't think we still carry the Gen 2, but remind me Tuesday to look when I go in.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:25:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Prvi Partizan website goes down the one time I want to look up some of their ballistic claims.  

Oh well, back to observing the DNC circus.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 3:49:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Just spent $500+ on ammo.  On the one hand: ammo!    On the other: newfound poverty!  
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 4:00:54 AM EDT
[#31]
I'm going to have to invest in some 6.8 reloading supplies. Since, I don't think anyone make spc II ammo.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 2:00:43 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'm going to have to invest in some 6.8 reloading supplies. Since, I don't think anyone make spc II ammo.
View Quote

Is SPC II a different chamber/throat/etc. or simply loaded hotter?
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 2:23:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Per the ARP web site;
ALL 6.8 ammo is the same size. All 6.8 chambers are the same size. All factory ammo will fit in a 6.8SPC, SPCII or ARP chamber. The only difference in the chambers is the length of the freebore. The length of the freebore can determine how accurate the barrels are.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 2:43:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Only sold one pistol tonight, a Glock 19.  He was considering the SIG 320, but I pointed out the magazine compatibility w/ the Glock, as well as the aftermarket.  I kept thinking about how pissed GSL would be.  

ETA:  Oh, and I got another electric airsoft gun for the Electrician.  It's a pretty close copy of an AR, down to the removable stock, so I can put a Mk 8 plastic brick stock on it.  Sights are crappy, but it'll teach him safety manipulation.  Looks like it'll fire downhill, which is better than the Uzi.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 3:54:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
ALL 6.8 ammo is the same size. All 6.8 chambers are the same size. All factory ammo will fit in a 6.8SPC, SPCII or ARP chamber. The only difference in the chambers is the length of the freebore. The length of the freebore can determine how accurate the barrels are.

Longer freebore for embiggened boolits?

Quoted:
ETA:  Oh, and I got another electric airsoft gun for the Electrician.  It's a pretty close copy of an AR, down to the removable stock, so I can put a Mk 8 plastic brick stock on it.  Sights are crappy, but it'll teach him safety manipulation.  Looks like it'll fire downhill, which is better than the Uzi.

What would prevent it from firing downhill?
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 4:12:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I guess it's like .223 vs 5.56 chambers.

The original 6.8 SPC chamber is comparable to the 223 chamber... The 6.8 SPCII chamber is comparable to the 5.56 Nato chamber.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 12:08:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

The original 6.8 SPC chamber is comparable to the 223 chamber... The 6.8 SPCII chamber is comparable to the 5.56 Nato chamber.

What's the advantage over buying loaded ammo and sticking to the SAAMI chamber?  (I ask as the resident lazy mofo.   )
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 12:26:16 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

What's the advantage over buying loaded ammo and sticking to the SAAMI chamber?  (I ask as the resident lazy mofo.   )
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Added velocity and performance for reloaders is my understanding.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 12:58:11 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:Added velocity and performance for reloaders is my understanding.
View Quote

.223 AI keeps calling my name for similar reasons, but only in a bolt gun.  I'm too chicken to handload for semi-auto rifles.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 1:29:53 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

.223 AI keeps calling my name for similar reasons, but only in a bolt gun.  I'm too chicken to handload for semi-auto rifles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Why? It's so easy this caveman can do it.

I like reloading for my 45 LC vaquero. I just have to be careful who I let shoot the big boy rounds. I almost had a girl end up like one time.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 1:47:07 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lower margin for error and imperfection than with bolt guns or handguns (assuming a powder bulky enough not to double charge the latter).  The older I get the more I realize that the variety of my interests and hobbies means that I will never know very much, nor be very good, at any of them.  Perhaps knowing my limitations is an unconscious survival tactic.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 1:50:42 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

oregon isn't commie... yet...
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 1:51:07 AM EDT
[#43]
oh.. and evening guys...
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 1:51:33 AM EDT
[#44]
Lunchtime!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 11:23:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Sad news.  When the 1911 fell from the top to the bottom of the safe, one of the plastic brick grip seams cracked right open, despite the Finest Chinese People's Army Factory #87 superglue.  No other harm to the pistol.  Also picked up a Wheeler Engineering gunsmithing screwdriver set on clearance - 20%, so paid like $25 after taxes.  Seems pretty nice - even has a Mauser Stock Bolt tool.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 12:44:30 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
When the 1911 fell from the top to the bottom of the safe, one of the plastic brick grip seams cracked right open, despite the Finest Chinese People's Army Factory #87 superglue.
View Quote

'Twas a message from the ghost of John Browning, letting you know that poor pistol has suffered enough.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 2:11:56 AM EDT
[#47]
The new R 51 is intriguing, but @ $400, I'll let someone else be the guinea pig.  Interesting design.  It doesn't work quite the same as the original.  Importantly, there's a slide lock.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 2:23:45 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
'Twas a message from the ghost of John Browning, letting you know that poor pistol has suffered enough.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

When the 1911 fell from the top to the bottom of the safe, one of the plastic brick grip seams cracked right open, despite the Finest Chinese People's Army Factory #87 superglue.

Yup

Link Posted: 7/30/2016 2:39:50 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Yup  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup  

He's talking about a Lego grip, right?
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 2:48:45 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup  

I believe so

Page / 100
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top