Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 100
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 1:31:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:The first rule of Squirrel Club is you don't want to pin the squirrels to the backstop.
View Quote

Wait, I thought the first rule was we don't talk about Squirrel Club?

(The second rule has to be to insure that wiry-ass squirrel hair stays the Hell away from the meat, because once it sticks, it ain't coming off without fire.  Not even brine soaking seems to unstick it.)
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 11:57:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:  Wait, I thought the first rule was we don't talk about Squirrel Club?

(The second rule has to be to insure that wiry-ass squirrel hair stays the Hell away from the meat, because once it sticks, it ain't coming off without fire.  Not even brine soaking seems to unstick it.)
View Quote

You're thinking of Fight Club.  We can talk about Squirrel Club b/c squirrels are legal game, crossbows are not banned in the city limits, and everybody will have a hunting license.

We need to work on TDPW on minimum draws, though.  It may be the safety that hangs us up.  This Rural King deal was the cheapest crossbow w/ a safety I could find.  Wish I could find a replacement prod that was only 125 lb draw, though.  I still think the squirrels will be killed by blunt force trauma as they're smashed against the backstop, rather than by the bolt itself.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 12:41:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
crossbows are not banned in the city limits
View Quote

Varies by city.  Always double check.  Also check animal cruelty laws, because many cities have no provisions for hunting but do have provisions for people who kill cute little fuzzy-wuzzy's.  Never underestimate the power of people raised on Disney who don't know where their meat comes from to craft stupid laws.

This appears to be the case where I live.  Illegal to shoot a firearm or an airgun, but legal to shoot a bow (on private property only).  Not legal to shoot anything with said bow, even on private property.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 12:52:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 2:17:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Varies by city.  Always double check.  Also check animal cruelty laws, because many cities have no provisions for hunting but do have provisions for people who kill cute little fuzzy-wuzzy's.  Never underestimate the power of people raised on Disney who don't know where their meat comes from to craft stupid laws.

This appears to be the case where I live.  Illegal to shoot a firearm or an airgun, but legal to shoot a bow (on private property only).  Not legal to shoot anything with said bow, even on private property.
View Quote

Honestly, I'm not sold on the safety of shooting a full power crossbow around a bunch of houses. I guess it would depend on the backstop and the loading and firing procedures. I know the one my father has is no joke and could easily kill someone in a neighboring house if a shot went awry.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 8:46:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Have searched my city code on bows and crossbows, nada.  Backstop is a brick wall.  Will search on animal cruelty next.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 1:04:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Nothing apparently in the city code that would suggest legal hunting is in any way animal cruelty, as they don't define the term.  They won't give you a pet license if you've been convicted of animal cruelty, which is apparently a state offense.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 1:26:37 AM EDT
[#9]

Hmm.  Maybe I could sleeve a gas block.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 1:15:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Hmm.  Maybe I could sleeve a gas block.
View Quote

Please do me a favour and never tell the maternal unit the genesis of said ring.

Also, got a link to that $80 crossbow?  That sounds like some cheap fun*.

* Webster's Even Newer More Internationaler and Extremely Collegiate Dictionary (2017) defines "Fun" as "n. Cheap way to lose some fingers.  You have a surplus, right?"
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 1:39:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Please do me a favour and never tell the maternal unit the genesis of said ring.

* Webster's Even Newer More Internationaler and Extremely Collegiate Dictionary (2017) defines "Fun" as "n. Cheap way to lose some fingers.  You have a surplus, right?"
View Quote
Having an even number of digits is overrated. 
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 1:51:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:  Please do me a favour and never tell the maternal unit the genesis of said ring.

View Quote

http://www.ruralking.com/mtech-jaguar-175-lb-recurve-camo-crossbow-cr-013a2.html

It's a $100 shipped right now.  Might wait a week or two to see if it goes down - they were running sales @ $69.99 w/ $10 shipping right up til Christmas.  Comes w/ a red/green dot - I have a spare, b/c someone here sent Travis a red/green reticle 3-9X Barska.  With that he should be able to pick the individual hair he wants the judo point to hit.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 3:22:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Agreed, but I can count to 21 now and want to keep it that way.

Quoted:

http://www.ruralking.com/mtech-jaguar-175-lb-recurve-camo-crossbow-cr-013a2.html

It's a $100 shipped right now.  Might wait a week or two to see if it goes down - they were running sales @ $69.99 w/ $10 shipping right up til Christmas.  Comes w/ a red/green dot - I have a spare, b/c someone here sent Travis a red/green reticle 3-9X Barska.  With that he should be able to pick the individual hair he wants the judo point to hit.

Thanks.  Re Barska., is it a crossbow scope?  If not, it probably won't survive sighting in.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 11:15:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:  Agreed, but I can count to 21 now and want to keep it that way.

Thanks.  Re Barska., is it a crossbow scope?  If not, it probably won't survive sighting in.
View Quote

Ah, bugger.  May have to put the el cheapo red/green dot back on then.  Crossbows are as bad as airguns?  Thought it was just the parallax, and figured since we're hunting from a fixed distance we'd live w/ it.

One of our N Houston relatives found me a very nice price on a Cold Steel sword in modern steel w/ supposedly a good temper.  $173.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 12:59:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Ah, bugger.  May have to put the el cheapo red/green dot back on then.  Crossbows are as bad as airguns?  Thought it was just the parallax, and figured since we're hunting from a fixed distance we'd live w/ it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

No experience of my own of course, but that is what I read, and it makes intuitive sense.  Piston air guns, cross bows, and BMGs with big muzzle breaks seem to the be ones said to need a reticle to hold up to recoil in both directions.

One of our N Houston relatives found me a very nice price on a Cold Steel sword in modern steel w/ supposedly a good temper.  $173.

Find plenty of reviews before you buy, preferably from people who've hit something with it.  The Amazon deals thread last year was filled with (2nd hand) horror stories about cheap blades snapping off at the hilt and bouncing back into the wielder.  How accurate were those stories?  No idea myself, but I'd hate to learn the truth the hard way.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 2:50:49 AM EDT
[#16]
I had no idea that airguns and crossbows were hard on optics. 
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 4:08:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I had no idea that airguns and crossbows were hard on optics. 
View Quote

The piston slamming to a stop causes a reverse recoil which many scopes aren't designed to withstand.  I gather the string and bow of a crossbow drawing taut does something of the same.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 10:24:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 11:23:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
I see you. 
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 11:26:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Not uh!
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 12:29:23 AM EDT
[#21]
The pic didn't load. 

I see you. 

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 12:47:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The pic didn't load. 

I see you. 

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/251964/WGI-0008-121714.JPG
View Quote

I give up!  
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 1:16:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:  I had no idea that airguns and crossbows were hard on optics. 
View Quote

I knew piston airguns were.  Had to discourage quite a few of my customers from buying nice variables to put on an air rifle.

I'd hate to destroy the Barska.  It's not an expensive scope, but it's still decent for what the Sinister will use it for.  No real need for it @ the ranges we're working w/.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 11:12:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Hola.  Long weekend.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 10:54:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Hola.  Sinister sick, I've got a headache as well.  If the side benefit from this new job is a strengthened immune system, I don't know if I can stand it.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 1:29:44 AM EDT
[#26]
LOL 

Link
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 11:50:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:  LOL 

Link
View Quote

She didn't handle that very well.  If the citizenry are subject to videotaping @ all time by the police, y'all can handle one guy live streaming you to YouTube or Facebook.

Our Texas Roadhouse has a $10 deal on Wed nights - 8 oz sirloin, and if you want you can pick your own steak.  Not bad.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 11:07:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Great - another cold.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 2:45:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Finally saw the 4th Indiana Jones movie.  Didn't even know there were 4.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 2:52:17 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Finally saw the 4th Indiana Jones movie.  Didn't even know there were 4.
View Quote
They are making a 5th I think.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 2:07:24 AM EDT
[#31]
If they make a 6th, Indy will be in a wheelchair.

Sinister feeling better.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 11:47:51 PM EDT
[#32]
What a downpour, eh?
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 9:01:28 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
What a downpour, eh?
View Quote
It sure made my drive to work more interesting. 
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 12:21:26 AM EDT
[#34]
This substitute thing is working out reasonably well.  If you log on every once in a while, you can grab jobs for a few days out & don't get the 5 AM phone call.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 1:13:11 AM EDT
[#35]
Another night in paradise.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 10:47:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Riding back from the folks w/ FW_wife and the Sinister.  Off tomorrow.  Life is good.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 12:35:13 AM EDT
[#37]
What a day.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 1:10:55 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
What a day.
View Quote

Kindergartners again?
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 2:54:28 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Great - another cold.
View Quote

Mine literally lasted a whole month. Doc said the virus was lasting longer than it typically does.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 10:44:00 PM EDT
[#40]
I managed getting over it, but man, I don't want another one.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 2:28:57 AM EDT
[#41]
Well, I've got so many Cav Arms lowers I'm starting to get confused about which one goes where.  Wait - who am I giving this one to, again?

Ordered a Flat Spot lower today for a Yankee transplant who used to weld submarines - so an AR lower should be child's play.

Closed out a storage unit today.  I'm no longer roof-challenged and am registering to vote in my new home.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 3:17:32 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Well, I've got so many Cav Arms lowers I'm starting to get confused about which one goes where.  Wait - who am I giving this one to, again?

Ordered a Flat Spot lower today for a Yankee transplant who used to weld submarines - so an AR lower should be child's play.

Closed out a storage unit today.  I'm no longer roof-challenged and am registering to vote in my new home.  
View Quote
Congrats, man. 

I've still got a few matrix lowers stored away for the kiddos. 
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 1:14:09 AM EDT
[#43]
Well, @ $25 a pop for an easily fixed cracked lower, it's kinda easy to start picking up more lowers than you know what to do w/.

I went looking for the CavAid lower I got from MotownSteve the other night, and it took me a minute to realize I'd put it upstairs.

Jeff had some lowers he hadn't built yet either, I think, so eventually the Sinister will get a left-handed upper on one, probably a Stag w/ a left-handed .22" LR adapter.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 11:03:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Kindergartners.  Oh boy.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 1:39:57 AM EDT
[#45]
Pics of the new GWACS lower are up:

Replacement GWACS lower thread
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 2:00:03 AM EDT
[#46]
Well, since I finally had the lower, I dremeled off the carbine handguard retainer since I couldn't get one of the gas block set screws off.  Put the other set screw back in, tossed on a triangular handguard retainer, repinned the front sight, and installed the Magpul handguards.  It looks pretty good.  Once I throw the bolt & charging handle in it, I think I'll take it to the range & see if I can't sight it in before I give it to the Spice Magnate.  I'll probably post the pics over in the A2 forum, since it's a fixed stock & A2 upper.

ETA:  Olympic Arms is closing end of February.  The end of the line for the Whitney Wolverine.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 4:01:59 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
They are making a 5th I think.
View Quote
is it gonna have shia ledouche in it?
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 11:18:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Well, finally got the crossbow strung tonight.  Took it up to Cinnamon Creek Ranch, and they installed it for free since I was getting a pack of judo points for the Sinister's future game.  Need to start planning the backstop, and where to put the squirrel feeder.

Sample, asked the clerk about what you said about rifle scopes, and they didn't seem to think it was a problem.  I think the real issue will be the target is inside the parallax, if I'm getting my terms correct.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 10:17:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Got the Beretta/Umarex Airsoft rifle charged up too.  The charger connection is finicky.  We'll see how it runs.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 11:31:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Sample, asked the clerk about what you said about rifle scopes, and they didn't seem to think it was a problem.  I think the real issue will be the target is inside the parallax, if I'm getting my terms correct.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Not saying I know about crossbow scopes from personal experience, but I've often read they have the same problems as piston airguns and BMGs with mega-muzzle brakes.  Random quote found on the web:
Originally Posted By some righteous dude on an archery forum:
"Heavy spring air rifles have the exact same 'double recoil' as crossbows have. That is they recoil towards the shooter first, then they abruptly 'snap' forward so they recoil in both directions (rearward AND forward)."

Don't forget that the average clerk is not nearly so competent as you were back when you were working sales counters.  Most clerks know a lot less than a well-informed customer will.

But I could be wrong.  And in any case, I believe you said it was a very cheap scope.
Page / 100
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top