Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 9:39:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I hear that, man.  I bike and use the pool these days... knees are getting pretty creaky.   I can still run if I need to (and I do sometimes) but 5 nights a week?  Nahhhh, there's better ways to get cardio that don't continue to wreck your knees and body, particularly if you're 80 lbs overweight.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Running is your new best friend.

Good Luck

Not if he's that out of shape and overweight.  He's better off biking or something else low impact until he loses some weight, lest he fuck himself up.

The Corps made sure my running days are over... strictly low impact for these poor knees these days.

I hear that, man.  I bike and use the pool these days... knees are getting pretty creaky.   I can still run if I need to (and I do sometimes) but 5 nights a week?  Nahhhh, there's better ways to get cardio that don't continue to wreck your knees and body, particularly if you're 80 lbs overweight.

Telling a guy that is 250+ pounds to run. Lol... Goodby knees!

Diet seriously. Don't crash diet, but make a life choice to eat healthy. You need to eat in a way that is sustainable. Lift weights. Low impact cardio if you still have energy after weights.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 9:54:37 AM EDT
[#2]
If you're going to run--regardless of your weight, START SLOW, THEN SLOW DOWN. Starting out too fast has ruined (physically AND mentally) millions of runners.

None of us here are going to compete with Meb in the NYC Marathon. Few of us will ever run more than a 5k. But running is what we were designed to do. Running at a pace or intensity that we get injured is NOT what we are designed to do.

Take walk breaks, go slow, don't worry if some hottie blows by you at a 6 min/mi. pace. This is about what's best for you.

So lose your ego and take it easy to start.

But, if you want to lose weight, diet.  If you want to improve your cardio, run (or whatever does it for you).

TC
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 9:55:31 AM EDT
[#3]
I found myself in a similar situation earlier this year. I am in my early 40's.. 6'4" and was carrying around 276 lbs in February. My weigh in last Monday was at 215 lbs. There is no magic or secret to losing weight. I started using the myfitnesspal app.(it's free) to monitor every calorie I put in my body and limited it to at or below the target for 2 lbs of loss a week. I've limited my carbs but haven't gone the full Atkins route. I prefer to take a balanced approach that is sustainable and has become simply how I eat now.

I also purchased a Fitbit Charge HR to help monitor my activity level and began working out, playing in a mens soccer league, and recently started the Anarchy workout video (all of $30) from Mens Fitness to mix things up a bit.

The bottom line is you can't out train a bad diet. You absolutely need to put yourself in a calorie deficit and if you stumble occasionally don't fret just get back on track.

I've stopped needing a CPAP machine, I get up every morning with purpose  and energy. Life really is better this way.

Link Posted: 6/19/2015 10:07:44 AM EDT
[#4]
I've lost about 20lbs in the last month by walking about 3-4 miles a day and watching what I eat. Still have a bunch more to lose though.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 1:42:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Keto Diet ( not really a diet )

Wife dropped 20 lb and not from her gut to her ass

Link Posted: 6/19/2015 1:58:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I started lifting, walking, and counting calories at New Year's.  By the end of May I'd lost 48 pounds of mostly body fat (some lean mass, too, but that's inevitable).  I gained back 6 during summer vacation in the last few weeks, but now I'm back on plan and already dropping again.  I want to lose another 15-20, I think.  It's kind of hard to predict where I'll end up.

By keeping an emphasis on nutrition while cutting calories, I've sort of accidentally adopted a Paleo-ish way of eating.  I could eat "junk" and meet my calorie goals, but then I'd feel like garbage.  I function pretty well at 1800-2000 per day with quality food (lots of meat and veggies, some full-fat dairy and fruit, a few complex starches, almost no grains or grain-oils) while lifting three days per week.  The only other thing I've been focusing on is getting plenty of quality sleep.

I do take a multivitamin every other day just to ensure I'm keeping good levels of trace nutrients.  It's probably overkill, but it's working.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 1:59:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Eat less.

Move around more.

Link Posted: 6/19/2015 2:05:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Post a shirtless pic of yourself here.  It might make you committed to change it.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 2:10:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 2:13:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I made big changes when I found out I was type II diabetic.  I will say exercise is key.  I've adopted a low-carb life style and I work out 3-5 times per week.  I love biking and running now.  You need to make changes that you can embrace for a long time.  That is the key.  Oh, and my A1C went from a 7 to a 5.2 in a couple of months.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 6:05:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Day One...

Link Posted: 6/19/2015 8:56:39 PM EDT
[#12]
So today's food intake...

Breakfast

2 hard boiled eggs

1 stick of string cheese

12 oz of OJ

Lunch

roast beef

cup of rice

Dinner

2 turkey patties with cheese

I had a couple snacks during the day, I had an orange about 10am, a handful of almonds when I got home from work after the gym, and will probably have some sting cheese for a snack later...

I haven't been hungry at all really, but I am missing something to sip on other than water... any suggestions for making water a little more exciting?
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 11:46:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Maybe try some Gatorade/Hawaiian punch/MRE Drink packets? I don't know what type of carbs and sugars are in them but you could drop maybe 1/2 or equivalent to whatever size container your using and slowly work to straight water? This will be my big thing once I get shit straighter in my life, but I have started doing this.

Link Posted: 6/20/2015 12:04:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Maybe try some Gatorade/Hawaiian punch/MRE Drink packets? I don't know what type of carbs and sugars are in them but you could drop maybe 1/2 or equivalent to whatever size container your using and slowly work to straight water? This will be my big thing once I get shit straighter in my life, but I have started doing this.  
View Quote

Might as well drink soda or sugar water.

Unsweetened tea is a good option.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 12:06:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Running is your new best friend.

Good Luck
View Quote

Until your joints are beat to hell and you have arthritis.  Then, not so much.

Think "low impact" for sustainable workouts over the long term.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:53:38 PM EDT
[#16]
OP, how's is going?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:10:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Going strong... down about 7 pounds.  

Five nights a week on the elliptical, I was surprised at how fast my fitness level is coming back... when I first started 30 strides a min made me feel like I was going to fucking die ...  tonight I averaged about 55 and it was a nice steady pace.

Doing some free weight work, but keeping it light until my fitness level catches up some more.

MAJOR diet changes...

I cut all non-natural sugars...

Eating much healthier food

Sample day for me is:

Oatmeal w/honey and a boiled egg for breakfast

For lunch I might do some baked chicken w/cheese

Dinner usually consists of either ground turkey or salmon and brown rice with some melted cheese on the whole mess

For snacks I have been eating apples, string cheese, some shit called BEAR NAKED, it is a granola nut whole grain thing... it is AWESOME.

At first my body did a HUGE WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING TO ME... I didn't shit for like 3 days ... then when I did holy crap... literally.

All in all, in just over a week I feel MUCH better already, I can't imagine what a month will be like.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:12:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If you're going to run--regardless of your weight, START SLOW, THEN SLOW DOWN. Starting out too fast has ruined (physically AND mentally) millions of runners.

None of us here are going to compete with Meb in the NYC Marathon. Few of us will ever run more than a 5k. But running is what we were designed to do. Running at a pace or intensity that we get injured is NOT what we are designed to do.

Take walk breaks, go slow, don't worry if some hottie blows by you at a 6 min/mi. pace. This is about what's best for you.

So lose your ego and take it easy to start.

But, if you want to lose weight, diet.  If you want to improve your cardio, run (or whatever does it for you).

TC
View Quote

This!!  Interval training is where it is at when you first start off.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:28:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If you're a drinker , knock it off for 90 days. Consider it an exercise in self control. It will help with your caloric intake tremendously. At the end of the day eat less, it's that simple. Use fit bit, or some other tracker to give you a visual indication of your calorie burn. It's fun, sort of..I'd save the supplement stuff untill you have a defined routine down.

And good for you for wanting to be better. We all get complacent, but lookin good never hurt anyone.
View Quote

That was a shocker to me. I started tracking calories with an app and realized just how much a single drink cost me (if you haven't been doing the math, it's pretty much half of if not an entire meal). I didn't quit drinking, but. I give every one a second and third thought. I also find myself drinking half a soda for that little kick in the morning instead of having 6 throughout the day (the soda is getting much less appealing, probably go to coffee soon, but I started because of high BP so that's not ideal).
Do the my fitness pal app. I tried it a few years ago (before I had BP issues) and had good luck. Going well this time too. Just need to make sure I stick to it. I stopped the last time because my wife was pregnant with our first and it was easy to easy shitty with a pregnant wife.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 7:19:06 PM EDT
[#20]
update in OP
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 7:25:56 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

update in OP
View Quote

Good job. Glad to see you doing it the right way. Drives me nuts to see guys go on <1000 calorie diets to drop some weight...

Good reminder that I need to get my ass back in the gym, too. Let myself go a bit the last few months...put on about 10lbs. Pants don't fit right and generally don't feel good. Too much food/beer and not enough lifting and running = bad rob.

Keep up the good work, man.

Link Posted: 7/10/2015 7:43:35 PM EDT
[#22]
There is a lot of advice in this thread. I resisted posting earlier, but I will keep it short. Weight loss topics are a trigger!
Eat as little carbs as possible; equal to or less than 20 grams per day. If you can manage to be honest and clean with your diet, you can have a cheat day every 2-3 weeks. Make it just a 'carb night' if you struggle.
The first week you will shed water and glycogen weight quickly. After that, expect to lose a pound per day for the duration of your efforts. Though, the loss will start to slow when you hit 'normal' weight. If you cheat even a little, like morning OJ, the plan will fail.
Working out is optional. I would workout no matter what, personally and you seem to be doing a good job of hitting the gym already. You may find weightlifting to be far more rewarding than just cardio.

Macros are key here. How you get them is up to you. The first time I used engineered food products and artificial sweeteners as a crutch. The second time I had to do it, I only used natural foods - Keto/Paleo. I like the Paleo version better, but the first one is easier for the new comer.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 7:45:50 PM EDT
[#23]
OP, try some Kool-aid, seriously, the tropical punch zero calorie stuff.  Mix it up, put it in the frig, then get a glass over ice when you feel the carb quest coming on.  It satisfies the sweet urge, without boosting the blood sugar.

I'm down from 252 pre Christmas weight to around 220 now, some days 218, some 222.  About to renew my commitment and get below 210.  Done it mainly by limiting carbs, no sweets, as little bread rice and pasta as I can pass on.  Fruit for breakfast.

Good work on your part BTW!
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 7:46:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Get rid of the white shoes.....why do people where white tennis leather tennis shoes...is that a midwestern thing?
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 10:41:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Well, thought I would toss in a one month update.

Down almost 25 pounds, down a size in jeans.  BMI has dropped from 44 to 41.  Down to 39% body fat from 46%.  

My fitness level is really starting to climb up there again... now that I feel halfway decent while working out I have started lifting.  I have found a lifting program that is kicking my ass on daily basis and I am not giving up on it... with it kicking my ass this bad, my body has no choice but to change to keep up.  

I will post another update next month.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:35:51 AM EDT
[#26]
OP I looked up this thread to drop and and see how things are going. Good to see a status update. Sounds like you're hitting it pretty good and seeing results and feeling better. Good to hear.  I am still in the same boat, been eating better (not paleo, but in that direction), exercising regularly, almost completing the C25K, and down 40 lbs since May. I am not hitting the weights as hard as I should, but I am getting some in.

Keep it heading in the right direction.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:53:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Good for you OP
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 10:46:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Two month update photo in OP!  I have somewhat plateaued on the actual weight loss on the scale, however I am building muscle like mad and losing INCHES... I couldn't button size 40 jeans when I started this, now size 38's are literally falling off.  I am still around 25 pounds lost, but body fat percentage is dropping FAST... I am only dropping about a pound a week on the scale... but that don't tell the whole story.  I have cut cardio down to about 20 minutes a day with some serious lifting.  Still trying to eat as clean as possible, last week it went to hell, but nobody is perfect.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 10:56:08 AM EDT
[#29]
looking good, keep up the good work
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 11:01:59 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Get rid of the white shoes.....why do people where white tennis leather tennis shoes...is that a midwestern thing?
View Quote

Because some people don't give two shits what others think of what they wear.

Good job OP, keep at it.  Results look great so far.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 11:04:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Two month update photo in OP!  I have somewhat plateaued on the actual weight loss on the scale, however I am building muscle like mad and losing INCHES... I couldn't button size 40 jeans when I started this, now size 38's are literally falling off.  I am still around 25 pounds lost, but body fat percentage is dropping FAST... I am only dropping about a pound a week on the scale... but that don't tell the whole story.  I have cut cardio down to about 20 minutes a day with some serious lifting.  Still trying to eat as clean as possible, last week it went to hell, but nobody is perfect.  
View Quote

You're crushing it op good for you!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 11:08:40 AM EDT
[#32]
Oh, as an added bonus I had my yearly checkup last week...

I am now off my high blood pressure meds and the high cholesterol meds...
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 11:12:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Good job man.  Just keep pushing.  Remember, your excuse is invalid.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 11:15:31 AM EDT
[#34]
Great job OP!
I lost 50 pounds several years ago but have gained 10 back

I saw an interview with a 100+ yr old women and they asked her to comment on todays obesity rates
She said "if people just got up and did what needed to be doing there wouldn't be a problem"
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 11:15:35 AM EDT
[#35]
Congrats man.  Huge visible difference, don't worry about the weight plateau.  Weight loss is never linear, and that muscle will really show after the fat melts off.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 11:18:17 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Oh, as an added bonus I had my yearly checkup last week...

I am now off my high blood pressure meds and the high cholesterol meds...
View Quote

That's awesome! Congrats!
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 11:19:55 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Going strong... down about 7 pounds.  

Five nights a week on the elliptical, I was surprised at how fast my fitness level is coming back... when I first started 30 strides a min made me feel like I was going to fucking die ...  tonight I averaged about 55 and it was a nice steady pace.

Doing some free weight work, but keeping it light until my fitness level catches up some more.

MAJOR diet changes...

I cut all non-natural sugars...
Eating much healthier food

Sample day for me is:
Oatmeal w/honey and a boiled egg for breakfast
For lunch I might do some baked chicken w/cheese
Dinner usually consists of either ground turkey or salmon and brown rice with some melted cheese on the whole mess

For snacks I have been eating apples, string cheese, some shit called BEAR NAKED, it is a granola nut whole grain thing... it is AWESOME.
View Quote

Well... I guess that's better than before.
Oatmeal, are they whole oats or steel cut? If they're flaked, you might as well toss 'em. I won't begrudge the use of honey on oatmeal. It's sugar but if you're not going all the way... well might as well enjoy it.
Lunch seems fine. Cheese contains a tiny bit of sugar ala lactose but not enough to get rid of it. I don't do cheese but I do Milk so half dozen of one, six of the other.
Lose the brown rice, if you're gonna go rice, go white. Instead of using rice as a filler - add something with fats in there. STEAK or GROUND BEEF with FAT in it. Pork. Duck. etc.

Apples are just about 100% fructose. Lose them unless you're working out long and heavy and need some carbs.

Mix some vegetables in there. My favorite is simply sautéed zucchini. I like peppers and onions that I sauté up all the time. Salads with kale,etc and a nice balsamic vinegar dressing.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 11:56:02 AM EDT
[#38]
Two month update looks like great progress.  Fuck the scale.  Bodybuilders will definitely look to be at a certain weight range, but they go by looks.  I scrape to add 1/2lbs whenever I can.  Some days I'll weigh 3lbs less than the day before, but I'll look way bigger for some reason.  

If you've plateaued on the scale, don't pay much attention to it.  You look better, I'm sure you feel better, and those are the two tangible motivators.

ETA:  Keep pressing on.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 12:00:07 PM EDT
[#39]
holy shit. congrats to you OP!  keep up the good work.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 12:01:56 PM EDT
[#40]
I recommend throwing in some higher rep squats (bodyweight or light dumbbells) to supplement your cardio.   Full depth, atg ones.   Also pushups and pullups if you can do them, if not do modifications.

Edit:   Of course, if you can afford it, I highly recommend joining a well ran CrossFit box (gym).
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 12:04:53 PM EDT
[#41]
keep it up OP
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 12:33:51 PM EDT
[#42]
OP, good job and keep it up. You will probably hit a plateau, but don’t get discouraged. Looking good so far.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 1:45:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Dont get too hung up on weight. You know what you should weigh. I lost 25 pounds and 6 inches off of my waist since i went to the dr in april for weight, blood pressure, and acid reflux problems. Now im actually gaining some weight back but losing inches still. My dietician (idiot, i wont go back) told me to shoot for 170.

That was her opinion after i told her that i weighed 225 when i ran cross country/marathons in junior high and was so skinny you could count my ribs.

Only you know your body. I wouldnt worry about extra crap yet, everything you mentioned should get you there. Good luck!

Before my diet it wasnt uncommom for me to eat a large freschetta pizza, 3 large baking spuds fried, and 5 king size reese sticks for dinner.

Im not perfect now but i eat of lot of veggies, fruit, and other garbage that makes me want to kill myself. Life isnt even worth living at this point....but i digress.

I hope you get to feel the same pain and misery that i feel (diet). Some nights i want to tear all of the cabinets off the wall and empty the contents into my mouth like godzilla while i stomp the cocksuckers (wife and dr) that make me eat cardboard every day.

I get so fucking mad that i shake in an uncontrollable rage. Today i opened my cooler and she gave me a lettuce/chicken wrap and an orange.

What the fuck am i going to do with that?
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/10/2015 8:17:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Three month update in OP!
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 8:31:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Oh and the ladies are now giving me second looks... wife unit has been jealous and has been making sure I am taken real good care of at home.
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 10:11:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 10:15:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Good job man. Inspiring.
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 10:18:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Good job! Keep on it, even if something slows your pace just keep heading in the right direction.
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 10:20:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Good job sir, keep it up.
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 10:24:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Excellent thread, great job op!
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top