Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 6/18/2015 6:13:38 PM EDT
So I have allowed myself to get into pretty piss poor shape and it is time to do something about it...
As of tomorrow I start working out at the gym and doing cardio... 5 nights a week... I am totally disgusted with myself for allowing myself to get into this kinda shape.
I have cut out all sugary drinks and am cutting back on proportions... plus moving to basically a low carb high protein diet.  
I have thought about adding a supplement as well, but I don't know shit about what is out there these days that is worth a fuck... any suggestions?
UPDATE:  Making progress... down about 15 pounds in 3 weeks, MAJOR DIET OVERHAUL, HUGE Fitness improvements, Starting some weight training next week now that my fitness level is getting better.  Also have started a supplement regiment to help boost Testosterone, Metabolism and just a good general multi-vitamin.  I have cut daily calorie intake to around 1600-1800 mostly lean proteins and complex carbs, I have cut all non-natural sugars (I have cheated only a couple times here and both were on the 4th...lol)... I still drink my OJ in the mornings, but I figure the benefits there outweigh the sugars.

DAY ONE

Two Month Update!

THREE MONTH UPDATE:

I am now down about 35lbs from my start at 275.  Had a couple of rough weeks and kinda fell off the wagon diet wise, but am back at it harder and stricter than ever.  Still lifting pretty heavy and am gaining LOTS of mass very quickly... I am actually surprising myself at the strength and endurance I have gained.

One week shy of 4 months of going at it pretty hard... About 40 lbs lost and significant muscle growth... all in all, I am still fat, but getting closer to my goal every day!

Link Posted: 6/18/2015 6:15:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Read HERE
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 6:15:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Running is your new best friend.

Good Luck
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 6:16:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been riding my bike to work everyday (4 miles one way) plus riding at night, drinking only water, and being pretty consistent on watching what I eat for the last month and have only lost 4 lbs...

I'm 40, I remember the good old days when I was in my 20's, if I skipped 1 meal I would lose 12 lbs, lol

- Clint

Link Posted: 6/18/2015 6:18:45 PM EDT
[#4]
sounds like a good start. cardio isn't really going to cut down fat much more get your heart and lungs working better while it does burn some calories better to do like 30 minutes of cardio to warm up and then do weights. Larger muscles and working your larger muscle groups more intensly will burn more calories. Although I love me some couch to 5k and getting in some miles on the bike.
as for supplements eat more vegetables fruits and proteins. stuff like kale is great
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 6:19:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I tried a ketogenic diet while trying to get my UC under control and ended up dropping some weight as a side effect. It worked for me because I just can't fucking stand vegetables and any diet that relies on them. If I could burn down every vegetable in the world I would do it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 6:20:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Maybe some protein, but not required if diet is good and already high protein. I like caffeine. Otherwise I wouldn't worry about anything as far as supplements go.

FWIW I've been at my leanest and best looking with no cardio whatsoever and just weightlifting. Now, I am NOT suggesting you do no cardio- merely that cardio alone is likely not going to get you were you really want to be.

Also, do you really care so much what the scale says or are you really wanting to be fit, healthy, and look good naked? Two very different goals.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 6:21:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu+90% vegetarian diet= 42 lbs lost since December for me.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 6:22:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've been riding my bike to work everyday (4 miles one way) plus riding at night, drinking only water, and being pretty consistent on watching what I eat for the last month and have only lost 4 lbs...

I'm 40, I remember the good old days when I was in my 20's, if I skipped 1 meal I would lose 12 lbs, lol

- Clint

View Quote

4 lbs in a month is good healthy sustainable weight loss keep doing what you are doing
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 6:23:05 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I tried a ketogenic diet while trying to get my UC under control and ended up dropping some weight as a side effect. It worked for me because I just can't fucking stand vegetables and any diet that relies on them. If I could burn down every vegetable in the world I would do it.
View Quote

I am with you there... I HATE vegetables... I am a MEAT eater.  

Link Posted: 6/18/2015 6:24:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Low carb all the way.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 6:24:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's a ton of health benefits to eating veggies. We're meant to eat both meat and vegetables. Eat them.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 6:24:46 PM EDT
[#12]
After I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes I ate oatmeal and tuna/salmon only for over a year and a half and dropped 80 pounds. Small portions 6 times a day.
My sugar went from 7 to 5. My glucose from 385 to 72. My weight from 330 to 250. And I stopped taking medication.

I was cheating here and there and it's actually boosted weight loss when my metabolism was falling asleep.
Zero physical exercises.

There is a good nutrition program that lets you lose 10lb a month with little effort. My wife went from 170 to 139 in months.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 6:26:23 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Maybe some protein, but not required if diet is good and already high protein. I like caffeine. Otherwise I wouldn't worry about anything as far as supplements go.

FWIW I've been at my leanest and best looking with no cardio whatsoever and just weightlifting. Now, I am NOT suggesting you do no cardio- merely that cardio alone is likely not going to get you were you really want to be.

Also, do you really care so much what the scale says or are you really wanting to be fit, healthy, and look good naked? Two very different goals.
View Quote

Don't give a shit what the scale says... I was in the best shape of my life shortly after I got out of the USMC...  I am 5'6" and was pushing 200lbs at the time (BTW I am built like a fireplug).  I had some "chub" but felt great and looked pretty damn good naked.

Link Posted: 6/18/2015 6:26:25 PM EDT
[#14]
High Intensity Interval Training is what you seek. 15-20 minutes is more effective than running for an hour. You have lots of options; rowing machine, sprints, jump rope, smashing a tire with a sledge. Switch things up so it's fun. Getting in shape should be enjoyable, not torture.

I'd avoid Crossfit, it works but the risk of injury is high. You get laid up and you're liable to gain weight.

Also, get your diet squared away. Good on cutting the sugar but if you're going to be working out a lot your body still needs carbs. Oatmeal, sweet 'taters, etc.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 6:27:14 PM EDT
[#15]
You sound like your on the right track OP. Remember biking is good because you really don't get your metabolism running until 30 mins of cardio. You can't run for 30 mins. Also get a heart rate monitor, to get in the right zone for burning fat. Too high burns muscle, not good. Too slow doesn't do enough to burn the fat. Lastly, never underestimate the benefit of fat shaming Seriously stand in the mirror and look at yourself until you like what you see.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 6:29:17 PM EDT
[#16]
I have lost 20 pounds in 2 months just by walking 3 miles a day. When I start counting calories I am sure I will lose it faster.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 6:29:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

4 lbs in a month is good healthy sustainable weight loss keep doing what you are doing
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

- Clint

Thanks brah...

- Clint
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 6:29:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Don't give a shit what the scale says... I was in the best shape of my life shortly after I got out of the USMC...  I am 5'6" and was pushing 200lbs at the time (BTW I am built like a fireplug).  I had some "chub" but felt great and looked pretty damn good naked.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In that case I'd focus primarily on diet and building some muscle. Building some muscle will increase the amount of calories you burn while just sitting around not doing anything. Add some HIIT like the guy said above and you'll be gtg.

Of course  a lot depends on what you like doing too. If that sounds terrible then find something else you like. Though I believe variations of the above is the more efficient way to get from point A to B.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 6:29:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
High Intensity Interval Training is what you seek. You have lots of options; rowing machine, sprints, jump rope, smashing a tire with a sledge. Switch things up so it's fun. Getting in shape should be enjoyable, not torture.

I'd avoid Crossfit, it works but the risk of injury is high. You get laid up and you're liable to gain weight.

Also, get your diet squared away. Good on cutting the sugar but if you're going to be working out a lot your body still needs carbs. Oatmeal, sweet 'taters, etc.
View Quote

it really does not need much at all. eat some fatty meat and you'll have plenty of energy no need for carbs. You'll get a decent amount of carbs from fruits and veggies anyway no reason to eat oatmeal it will spike ur insulin levels and make you hungrier
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 6:30:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Don't forget to also track what you're eating.  Sometimes you "forget" one or two things.  Or you "eat clean" - but are still snarfing down 3K calories your body doesn't need.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 6:30:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Low carb all the way.
View Quote

Absolutely... you lose weight in the kitchen, not the gym  

Link Posted: 6/18/2015 6:30:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

There's a ton of health benefits to eating veggies. We're meant to eat both meat and vegetables. Eat them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Herbivore lobbyist up in here.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 6:30:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Semper Fi Bro, I have faith that you can do it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 6:31:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Cardio or working out doesn't work without a proper diet.

Get the MyFitnessPal App, learn it and use it.

I discovered that app through its mention on the site and it is awesome.

Go to a gym, use the Cybex machine or an elliptical and you WILL lose some weight, but you have to use it for more than 5 minutes

I started working out and eating right about a month and a half ago, and I am already seeing some results.

It takes dedication though, I gave up all junk food, fast food, pizza, cookies, ice cream, donuts, sodas, sugary crap and basically anything bad for you.

Get on the net and learn about dieting and nutrition, proteins are your friend, you can eat meat.  I'm not much of a veggie guy either.

Ju can dew eeeet
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 6:32:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
High Intensity Interval Training is what you seek. 15-20 minutes is more effective than running for an hour. You have lots of options; rowing machine, sprints, jump rope, smashing a tire with a sledge. Switch things up so it's fun. Getting in shape should be enjoyable, not torture.

View Quote

Crossfit is  just a variation of HIIT. Risk of injury is only higher than any other program if you're a retard.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 6:33:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Omnivore.

I eat a lot of veggies, but next to my veggies is about a pound of meat most nights. Trust me, I'm not a vegetarian.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 6:34:12 PM EDT
[#27]
This is where I would like to get back to... I was right at 200lbs here.

Link Posted: 6/18/2015 6:34:24 PM EDT
[#28]
I've dropped 20 lbs in the last 2 months. Cardio and yoga 6 days a week with a weight routine added to three of those days. 1500-1800 calories a day intake. If next month holds and I drop another 10 I will up my calorie intake a bit and work on maintaining the loss.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 6:35:01 PM EDT
[#29]
I have a friend that lost over a hundred pounds and went from wearing a 6X Shirt to a 2x Shirt in one year using Plexus. I tried it and it didn't do much for me but there are thousands of positive results of people using it. It is suppose to be all natural ingredients, but it may not work for everyone. They do have 30 day sample packs and individual sample packs so you can try it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 6:38:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Omnivore.

I eat a lot of veggies, but next to my veggies is about a pound of meat most nights. Trust me, I'm not a vegetarian.
View Quote

Closeted herbivore.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 6:38:41 PM EDT
[#31]
I've lost over 100lbs since July using My Fitness Pal with very little meaningful exercise and one weekly cheat day. I've got about 8lbs to go to reach my initial goal but will continue after that to see where I can take it.

I started out doing some walking early on but got lazy and stopped when I realized I was still losing without it. I got back to walking & jogging again when I got a new dog a couple of months ago, so I've been using the 5k Runner app which is a Couch to 5k type deal. I've also been working on the 100 push-ups program for the last couple of months and have begun playing around with the dumbells and squat rack.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 6:39:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Closeted herbivore.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Omnivore.

Closeted herbivore.

lol

If you ever saw me eat in real life you'd be changing your tune
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 6:40:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Use the myfitnesspal app. I've lost 50 since April 1st.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 6:40:48 PM EDT
[#34]
manlet turn bowling ball
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 6:41:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Lost 50lbs, and kept it off for 5 years now thanks to MTB.

Link Posted: 6/18/2015 6:43:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Getting rid of sodas is smart. There are so many calories in them.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 6:43:37 PM EDT
[#37]

When I need to lose some I buy a case of meal replacement protein shakes from Costco. Dinner is the least important meal so it's easy.

I do workout 3-4 times a week. Not overweight.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 6:43:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

lol

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Omnivore.

Closeted herbivore.

lol

No.

It would be like if I told you that I sucked a lot of dick but am not gay because I also bang girls at the same time.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 6:44:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Im with you op.  I want to lose about 40 lbs.  No sugar, smaller portions, and just eating better foods.  Im down 7 in less than two weeks.  I have to try and stay busy because i like to snack when im bored.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 6:47:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/280x200q90/855/iey7.jpg
View Quote

Apparently you lost TOO much weight so you can no longer hold the bike up long enough to put the kickstand down.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 6:49:35 PM EDT
[#41]
If you're a drinker , knock it off for 90 days. Consider it an exercise in self control. It will help with your caloric intake tremendously. At the end of the day eat less, it's that simple. Use fit bit, or some other tracker to give you a visual indication of your calorie burn. It's fun, sort of..I'd save the supplement stuff untill you have a defined routine down.

And good for you for wanting to be better. We all get complacent, but lookin good never hurt anyone.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 6:51:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Cutting back on portions. Not proportions.
Use a small bowl and a small plate for meals. That trick helped me a lot. No second helpings at meals. Make it a habit and you will drop the weight.

Good luck OP. Stick with it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 6:52:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Good Luck
View Quote

Not if he's that out of shape and overweight.  He's better off biking or something else low impact until he loses some weight, lest he fuck himself up.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 6:53:30 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Not if he's that out of shape and overweight.  He's better off biking or something else low impact until he loses some weight, lest he fuck himself up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Good Luck

The Corps made sure my running days are over... strictly low impact for these poor knees these days.

Link Posted: 6/18/2015 6:56:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

The Corps made sure my running days are over... strictly low impact for these poor knees these days.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good Luck

I hear that, man.  I bike and use the pool these days... knees are getting pretty creaky.   I can still run if I need to (and I do sometimes) but 5 nights a week?  Nahhhh, there's better ways to get cardio that don't continue to wreck your knees and body, particularly if you're 80 lbs overweight.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 7:01:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Send me a message if you would like some specific things to do. I used to train pro athletes for Dr. James Andrews.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 7:09:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Eat less.

Exercise more.

If you need further instruction, you will not succeed.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 7:11:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Hopefully this will inspire you.  My last physical showed me I need to get in better shape as well.  Since last April I've lost a total of 20 pounds, and about 3 inches off the waste.  I'm doing the same as you are except I bought the elliptical instead of a gym membership.  The 3 things that worked best for me over the last two months were:

1. You have to consume less calories than you burn everyday.  Counting calories is hard.  You have to read every label, and you can't eat out unless you know what's in your food.  A lot of people make mistakes reading labels.  Almost everyone forgets to look at the number of servings they consume, and to multiply that be the calories per serving.

2. Here's a trick I learned on the elliptical.  Reverse direction every five minutes.  I normally do 25-30 minutes every other day while I'm trying to get to my target weight.  When I started switching directions I noticed I was working different muscle groups, and I was sore the next day.  The trick is supposed to keep you muscles from forming a memory to your movements.

3. The hardest part is sticking with it.  I know I'll never go to the gym as often as I have to.  That's why the elliptical lives in my house.  Diet and calorie counting is hard as hell to stick with as well.  Best to get rid of all the snacks in your house, and don't buy anymore when you go to the store.  As soon as you get to your target weight you can change to maintenance mode, and enjoy a few of the things you miss.  It's killing me I haven't had ice cream in a month and a half, but it's gotta be done.

Hope you find this helpful.  I know you'll look great in your swim gear but end of summer.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 7:12:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Apparently you lost TOO much weight so you can no longer hold the bike up long enough to put the kickstand down.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/280x200q90/855/iey7.jpg

I'm in that picture, just standing sideways.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 7:16:17 PM EDT
[#50]
I also started using the MyFitnessPal app to track my intake and exercise. Started in January and hit my goal of losing 30 lbs. in May. I also began riding an exercise bike and light weight training. The app makes it easy to track your intake and learn what's bad and what's not.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top