Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/18/2015 3:56:31 PM EDT
I moved out to the country a few years ago, started up a small little "hobby farm".  Over the years I've been picking up more "farmer" type gear.....muck boots, cowboy boots, a nice tough Carhart jacket.....all this that really seem to come in handy.  My ball caps just don't protect me from the sun enough....so now I'm looking for a cowboy hat I can wear when I'm working outside.  

What do I need to know about picking out a good cowboy hat? Any brands to stay away from? What material would be best for wearing when its hot out?
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 3:58:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Straw in the summer, felt in the winter.

I like resistol but have not worn a "cowboy" hat in years.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 3:58:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Get a boonie.

Link Posted: 6/18/2015 4:00:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm partial to australian style leather hats. But that's me.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 4:01:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Yup.  
Fishing I wear a baseball cap and an SA face shield.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 4:01:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Resistol straw hat in the summer, Resistol felt hat in the winter or for dress.

Link Posted: 6/18/2015 4:01:55 PM EDT
[#6]
What's the difference between cowboy hats and tampons?

Cowboy hats are for assholes.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 4:02:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I like resistol but have not work a "cowboy" hat in years.
View Quote

This

Felt hats are rated by the number of X's. A 3X hat is lesser quality than a 10X.
The more X's the higher the cost.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 4:03:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Resistol and Stetson are two of the big ones..but my granddaddy never wore a nice or expensive hat while working. A cheap straw hat will do just fine for that.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 4:05:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This

Felt hats are rated by the number of X's. A 3X hat is lesser quality than a 10X.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like resistol but have not work a "cowboy" hat in years.

This

Yup.   The higher the X rating, the more fur in the hat with felt.   With straw it means a higher quality of straw.  
Unless you buy a no-name hat out of Mexico, then it means nothing.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 4:05:45 PM EDT
[#10]
If you're doing real work work, go to Tractor Supply, Southern States, or your local CO-OP and take your pick. Consider them an expendable item and you won't get the red ass when your bush hog gobbles one up.

Make sure there's plenty of ventilation slots for air flow and a wide brim to block the sun.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 4:06:14 PM EDT
[#11]
If you get a western "cowboy" hat, make sure to also get a Hat Latch for storage to keep the brim nice on your dress hats.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 4:06:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

http://www.resistolhat.com/index.php

View Quote

Texas State Troopers wear Resistol.   That should say something.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 4:06:35 PM EDT
[#13]
get a boonie or a bush hat.

wash it as needed.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 4:07:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If you get a western "cowboy" hat, make sure to also get a Hat Latch for storage to keep the brim nice on your dress hats.

http://m7.i.pbase.com/g1/72/325172/2/115015577.2mfmXCMO.jpg

http://m4.i.pbase.com/g1/72/325172/2/115015584.zcWGDaHU.jpg

View Quote

That's neat.  
It sucks having to run to the boot store to have them steamed every time you smash one behind a truck seat.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 4:15:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 4:15:50 PM EDT
[#16]

Get a Tilley. It's like a boonie on steroids. VERY well-made!

This is the one I wish I'd gotten because it has an airflow mesh at the top; mine gets really hot during the summer.

Tilley hats are warranteed for life! I've turned in 2 because they failed and they returned a new one each time!

Link Posted: 6/18/2015 4:16:20 PM EDT
[#17]
I like em, but I can't wear em. I work outside most of the day. Unless you want to wear one of those 1950 under-the-chin drawstrings, get used to chasing it on windy days. Secondly, modern truck seats make wearing one a pain because the back of the brim bangs against the headrest portion and it falls off. If you stow in in the vehicle while driving, it gets crushed and/or really dirty (Im talking work truck, not mall crawler).

A boonie hat or a hiking style ball cap is lighter, cooler and far more functional - my two cents.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 4:21:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Get a Palm Leaf hat. Way more durable than straw.

These hats will outlast a straw hat several times over.

Many Western straw hats on the market are made from paper. That's why they need several layers of lacquer to get them to hold their shape. And once they're shaped, that's it. If they get crushed they're ruined. If they get wet, they become a soggy, limp rag.

But SunBody Palm-Leaf Hats are made to wear, to get wet, to be reshaped as often as you like. Working Cowboys and everyday folks like 'em because they last so long and can take so much abuse. So what if your horse steps on it? You can just pop it back out to shape. So what if it rains? It'll just soak up water until it gets stiff and shed the rest. And it'll keep it's shape until you're ready to re-shape it.

And reshaping is no problem. Since they aren't coated with lacquer, you don't need a steamer to shape them. All you need is plain water. Just hold them under the tap or dip them in the horse trough and shape them with your hands. It's so easy even a child can do it.

You can reshape them as often as you like, flattening out the brim to shield you from the sun or giving it a nice curve for the Saturday night dance.
Palm Leaf Hat
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 4:22:59 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm partial to Resistol types with lots of airflow here in FL.....cause it's hotter than the surface of the sun 9 months out of the year but I also like a lighter airier real straw hat for the reasons you suggest-keeping the sun off my face.

You will have to try them on cause they will either suit you or not....kinda like sunglasses.

Because I ride horses in mine they have to have a cord on them so they don't coming flying off.  You would think horses wouldn't be deathly afraid of "just a hat"........they are terrified of hats flying off.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 4:23:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I like em, but I can't wear em. I work outside most of the day. Unless you want to wear one of those 1950 under-the-chin drawstrings, get used to chasing it on windy days. Secondly, modern truck seats make wearing one a pain because the back of the brim bangs against the headrest portion and it falls off. If you stow in in the vehicle while driving, it gets crushed and/or really dirty (Im talking work truck, not mall crawler).

A boonie hat or a hiking style ball cap is lighter, cooler and far more functional - my two cents.
View Quote

You know why they roll the edges of the brim up?

So you can fit three goat ropers in a pickup.  
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 4:24:06 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View Quote

And yet they both get stuck up a girl's......you know.

Link Posted: 6/18/2015 4:25:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some guys wonder why cowgirls are bow legged.  Cowboys know.  
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 4:45:00 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

This is the one I wish I'd gotten because it has an airflow mesh at the top; mine gets really hot during the summer.

Tilley hats are warranteed for life! I've turned in 2 because they failed and they returned a new one each time!

https://www.tilley.com/media/adjconfigurable/LTM6_KhakiOlive.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

If you wear a Tilley hat in Florida everyone will think you're a Canadian tourist

Link Posted: 6/18/2015 4:50:30 PM EDT
[#24]
I love my cowboy hat!!!
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 4:52:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Congrats, OP...you have discovered what many have known about 'cowboy' gear for ages.  That of form following function.  Everything the cowboy wears was created to facilitate doing something.  Whether it was his slicker for keeping the rain off his back...and legs...while in the saddle, to his hat and his boots doing their jobs to make his life a bit easier, more comfortable or more productive.

In your neck o' the woods, you will want a straw cowboy hat for summer.  Just don't get one with too big a brim, unless you're hispanic (around here, anyway).

These urban cowboys that rush to the western store to have their felt hats reshaped or that keep their hats in a plastic shape keeper crack me up.  Felt hats are reshaped to your desire over a tea kettle of boiling water on your stove at home.

Oh, and those "under the chin drawstrings" are often referred to as stampede straps...once again denoting function over form.  They were regularly seen in westerns of the 1950's, yes.  I added them to my cowboy hats in the 80's & 90's not because I was ever caught in a stampede but because, as a hunting guide, I found it was a pain in the neck to have to get off my horse while leading a pack string of six or eight horses and mules, in order to pick up my hat after my horse went under a low hanging pine bough that I missed because I was keeping an eye on the animals in the string.

Cowboy up!
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 4:55:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Unless you are Ronald Reagan just forget about it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 4:59:47 PM EDT
[#27]
I have some of my gramdpa's Resistols around. Too small for me.
I live in the country and have a small farm. I wear a boonie.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 5:01:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
If you wear a Tilley hat in Florida everyone will think you're a Canadian tourist  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been sailing all over the world with mine. Takes a beating and comes back for more.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 5:01:54 PM EDT
[#29]
I see lots of hobby farmers around here wearing these...

Link Posted: 6/18/2015 5:02:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Congrats, OP...you have discovered what many have known about 'cowboy' gear for ages.  That of form following function.  Everything the cowboy wears was created to facilitate doing something.  Whether it was his slicker for keeping the rain off his back...and legs...while in the saddle, to his hat and his boots doing their jobs to make his life a bit easier, more comfortable or more productive.

In your neck o' the woods, you will want a straw cowboy hat for summer.  Just don't get one with too big a brim, unless you're hispanic (around here, anyway).

These urban cowboys that rush to the western store to have their felt hats reshaped or that keep their hats in a plastic shape keeper crack me up.  Felt hats are reshaped to your desire over a tea kettle of boiling water on your stove at home.

Oh, and those "under the chin drawstrings" are often referred to as stampede straps...once again denoting function over form.  They were regularly seen in westerns of the 1950's, yes.  I added them to my cowboy hats in the 80's & 90's not because I was ever caught in a stampede but because, as a hunting guide, I found it was a pain in the neck to have to get off my horse while leading a pack string of six or eight horses and mules, in order to pick up my hat after my horse went under a low hanging pine bough that I missed because I was keeping an eye on the animals in the string.

Cowboy up!
View Quote

I tried re shaping over a pan with a funnel on it (did not have a tea kettle).
I could never get it to look right.   It always came out looking like hammered dog shit.  
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 5:03:42 PM EDT
[#31]
You're a farmer, not a cowboy. This is what you want; http://realdealbrazil.com/?s=google&c=tarp_hats&gclid=CN6ZwPSRmsYCFQeBaQodQjwBXQ
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 5:06:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Corn, corn, corn, corn, corn!

That's what you need to look like to be a gentleman farmer.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 5:10:20 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View Quote
Just remember - perspiration will stain fur - don't look like an idiot with black felt in the summer (and have a white salt ring on it).

+1 for palm

Link Posted: 6/18/2015 5:11:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Make sure you soak it in boiling water and soap for and hour and then throw it in the dryer with wet towels,,,,,,,,  break it in right
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 5:11:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 5:13:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Don't
Cheap ones are just that, Cheap!, and will tear of become so floppy the they are useless.
And expensive ones are just that, Expensive!, A good 20X will run 350 and up. And you don't want that to work around in. I won mine or I'd never have a 20X.
Get something that is washable to work in.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 5:14:00 PM EDT
[#37]
I live on the Gulf Coast. I wear a boonie when out fishing.

Cowboy hats look nice but they're a pain in the ass to keep.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 5:20:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I usually stick with baseball caps, free and wind resistant. Why ruin $200 worth of hat when you can ruin a free one.
The only time I wear a straw hat is if I am out in the field moving pipe or something like that or it is raining. Otherwise I just destroy them and they usually aren't free.
That being said don't waste your money on a nice straw hat, just buy the cheap comfortable shit that you wont get all pissed off about when you cover it in sweat, grease, fertilizer, and cow shit or step on it or drive over it when the wind takes it.
As far as them not protecting you, well yeah it is nice to have that brim, right up until you have to climb inside a combine then you will curse the fucker. You can't wear it in there and you will wish you had something because now your head is covered in grain dust which sucks.
View Quote

He is right and this is Idaho to a T
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 5:21:14 PM EDT
[#39]
COLORADO MOUNTAIN HAT COMPANY will fix you up RIGHT!!!

I have several of their hats....they are reasonably priced and an excellent product!!!

Link Posted: 6/18/2015 5:22:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Fucker... The whole office is now wondering what's so funny

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 5:34:26 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Government contract.

Link Posted: 6/18/2015 5:45:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

This.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 6:00:15 PM EDT
[#43]
I've had a Stetson "Marshall" hat for years. I've worn it now and then over the years.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 6:09:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
You're a farmer, not a cowboy. This is what you want; http://realdealbrazil.com/?s=google&c=tarp_hats&gclid=CN6ZwPSRmsYCFQeBaQodQjwBXQ
View Quote

Those actually look pretty damn cool!  I think I might have to order one!

Link Posted: 6/18/2015 6:18:18 PM EDT
[#45]
I like straw in the summer.  Then there's fur felt and beaver felt hats.  Based on my sample of one, fur is hotter, can't really be shaped, but conforms to your head without a fight.  Beaver seems to shed water better the more so with more x's).  Still pretty warm.  Takes some work to get it to fit or reshape.

I've gotten pretty good deals watching eBay for beaver hats.  $40-60 for a XXXXX hat in the box that would normally go for $250'ish.  I recommend figuring out what size you need for a particular brand.

Link Posted: 6/18/2015 6:21:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It says they got the contract. Resistol is still  good hat though.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 6:22:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great. When Chico tries to mug me, he'll be doubly surprised when I haul out my J frame!
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 6:24:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Keep in mind this is dated.

My Great Grandfather "never hire a man who wore a straw hat or rolled his own cigarettes.

He will either be chasing his hat or rolling a smoke and never get any work done.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 6:25:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The DPS does not issue junk.
Thats why the S&W M&P contract got shitcanned.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 6:28:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I usually stick with baseball caps, free and wind resistant. Why ruin $200 worth of hat when you can ruin a free one.
The only time I wear a straw hat is if I am out in the field moving pipe or something like that or it is raining. Otherwise I just destroy them and they usually aren't free.
That being said don't waste your money on a nice straw hat, just buy the cheap comfortable shit that you wont get all pissed off about when you cover it in sweat, grease, fertilizer, and cow shit or step on it or drive over it when the wind takes it.
As far as them not protecting you, well yeah it is nice to have that brim, right up until you have to climb inside a combine then you will curse the fucker. You can't wear it in there and you will wish you had something because now your head is covered in grain dust which sucks.

Ayup. Filthy baseball caps are what I'm accustomed to seeing in ID.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top