Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 8:40:06 AM EDT
[#1]
I once (actually more than once, but whatever) netbooted and installed NetBSD on a pmax (decstation 3100) from a Windows NT 4.0 workstation.

As in, the NT box was the tftp, nfs, etc server that the pmax netbooted from.

I still have my sun sparc1 with SunOS 4.1.4 on it at home...haven't turned it on in ages, but way back when, it was my modem gateway. It ran a ppp daemon and would auto-dial whenever it detected network traffic that was to be routed to the internet. This was well before accessible broadband...

Good times, good times...

I should set it all up, plug it into the VT320, and use it as my router/firewall on my dsl
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 8:42:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I write and design software for a living, so the last thing I want to do when I get home is write more software.  Am I the anti-geek?
View Quote

I'm sorta in the same position.

I fix software bugs for a living, and my contract makes any "off the clock" coding projects property of my employer. I've got several side projects that 3rd parties are holding for me for when I eventually quit this job.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 9:55:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Mine is more geeking at work.  We rip old stuff out and make it pretty and functional again.

Sometimes we get to rewind a generator field as well.

Link Posted: 6/18/2015 7:20:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Sorry for the big pics.

I digitally sculpt and rapid prototype 1/100 scale mech kits (and vehicles, power armor, and dropships) for various clients.

http://johnbearross.blogspot.com/2014/04/new-releases-from-critical-mass-games.html

http://johnbearross.blogspot.com/2014/01/cmg-zas-mecha-now-for-sale.html

http://johnbearross.blogspot.com/2014/04/thats-lot-of-mecha.html

Thankfully, I married my wife before she realized just how much of a geek I was.  

Best,
JBR
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 7:23:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 9:21:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I built my homebrew rig, pretty much from scratch.  I need to get around to adding some automation and some ip cameras so I can remotely monitor it when it's hot as hell in the garage.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y249/Cpt_Kirks/DSCN0121.jpg

Back when the Compaq Ipaq (not iPad) was the big deal in Linux handhelds, I did the initial Linux Doom port, wrote the dynamic key mapper, and several other nice to have goodies for it.

I built a complete x86 compatible computer using wire wrap as part of a college senior group project.

I built a HAM radio "briefcase comm system", combining UHF/VHF/HF voice and data with a digital terminal as my individual senior project in college.

I'm currently building a raspberry pi based video player (complete with a tiny touch screen for control) for the lake house.  Still need to pick up a 2amp USB hub to cut up and use in it.

I'm also playing with a banana pi (raspberry pi upgrade with faster CPU and sata connection), and trying to decide whether to make a tablet or laptop out of it.  I have the battery and power supply (5v for the pi and USB, 12v for the LCD) built.

I've built and operated a variety of HAM gear (need to get back into that someday).

I was single channel, RTTY and satellite operator in the Army.

I've been a professional software developer for almost 25 years.  

Eh, that's all I can think of right now.

View Quote

False -- the initial linux Doom port was written by a kid named Greg from Indiana.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 9:28:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

False -- the initial linux Doom port was written by a kid named Greg from Indiana.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I built my homebrew rig, pretty much from scratch.  I need to get around to adding some automation and some ip cameras so I can remotely monitor it when it's hot as hell in the garage.

Back when the Compaq Ipaq (not iPad) was the big deal in Linux handhelds, I did the initial Linux Doom port, wrote the dynamic key mapper, and several other nice to have goodies for it.

I built a complete x86 compatible computer using wire wrap as part of a college senior group project.

I built a HAM radio "briefcase comm system", combining UHF/VHF/HF voice and data with a digital terminal as my individual senior project in college.

I'm currently building a raspberry pi based video player (complete with a tiny touch screen for control) for the lake house.  Still need to pick up a 2amp USB hub to cut up and use in it.

I'm also playing with a banana pi (raspberry pi upgrade with faster CPU and sata connection), and trying to decide whether to make a tablet or laptop out of it.  I have the battery and power supply (5v for the pi and USB, 12v for the LCD) built.

I've built and operated a variety of HAM gear (need to get back into that someday).

There was a version of Doom for the iPaq before I did the linux port, but it wasn't running under linux.

AFAIK, mine was the first linux Doom port.  

Link Posted: 6/18/2015 9:49:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

There was a version of Doom for the iPaq before I did the linux port, but it wasn't running under linux.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doubtful considering the first source release of Doom was the linux source code

For legal reasons relating to the sound driver, the MS DOS source code could not be released initially.

ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/source/doomsrc.txt

eta: Encylopaedic first- and second-hand knowledge of technical histories of Doom and Quake are just some of my geek credentials ...
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 9:57:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I 3D printed the gears for the bead rope, stepper motor brackets, and the gondola.  Didn't write, but compiled the software onto the ardunio, and the processing software on Windows.  It can draw using any pen, in the example below, a sharpie.  It can even lift the pen off the paper when it is moving from one location to another.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qeucl-_3wBA
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 11:53:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Dunno if it is "Geek" worthy, but I fix these things..

Link Posted: 6/18/2015 11:57:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I got XASTIR running on a RaspPI with a TNC I  soldered together.

I recently got my '69 Bronco back on the road after re-engineering and modernizing the electrical system and drivetrain and designing a full linked/coil suspension
Built 357W, 5-speed trans, Atlas transfercase, full width axles, ARBs & 4.56s front and rear.

I have a good chunk of it in CAD and did a lot of suspension geometry and tuning calculations before starting.  It's a very cohesive build so far.  Still need to finish the cage, bumpers and fuel inject it.

I also designed, machined and programed a bus-based accessory control panel that ties into the main electrical system for switching all the accessories.

Link Posted: 6/19/2015 6:22:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Drum brakes and non triangulated link setup.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 8:12:17 PM EDT
[#13]
This count?

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:43:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Where's your Paralella thread? Saw this and thought about of your simulations.

http://www.wired.com/2015/06/watch-black-hole-sim-whips-dark-matter-frenzy/

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:48:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:52:40 PM EDT
[#16]
That is awesome!

Quoted:
Dunno if it is "Geek" worthy, but I fix these things..

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:12:20 PM EDT
[#17]
I am in the process of hand-sewing a revolutionary war era British regular's uniform.  

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:20:22 PM EDT
[#18]
I built a garage door opener system with an arduino, so I could open my garage with my phone, and have it automatically close after 10pm if it was open for longer than ten minutes.. also it sent all the data to Splunk, so I could graph my garage door.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:26:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:38:56 PM EDT
[#20]
I built this...
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:50:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Whooooomp...... Vs. BOOM!

That's how I describe it to my customers.

ZA

Quoted:
I use those worthless building codes all the time, you know, the building codes that don't mean much anyway as long as we have carpenters for our enlightenment.  

For some of these codes and standards, the best way to learn them is to write a spreadsheet.  This is NFPA 68: Standard on Explosion Protection by Deflagration Venting , I hadn't seen it before, so I wrote this:

http://s9.postimg.org/tpfc0rhfz/Full_Size_Render.jpg

Before I'd seen that NFPA standard, I didn't even know the difference between deflagration and explosion.

I don't pass them around to to others, except for the one I wrote for sizing residential dryer vents after the worthless and stupid building codes got all strict over that shit.  

I guess that's geeky . . .

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:59:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That is awesome.

I finished an 80% receiver with nothing but a hand-held dremel.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am in the process of hand-sewing a revolutionary war era British regular's uniform.  

That is awesome.

It is a bit of a chore, to say the least.  
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:49:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

That is awesome.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is awesome.

Pics or it didn't happen.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top