BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 310
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 5:35:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

They spawn after you kill Kellogg and finish that mission.  As far as I know, that's the only trigger for it.
View Quote

SHIT!  You are right!  I havnt even gone to see Valentine yet in this playthrough.  I was literally a bowl of cereal away from wiping this save
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 6:33:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

SHIT!  You are right!  I havnt even gone to see Valentine yet in this playthrough.  I was literally a bowl of cereal away from wiping this save
View Quote

A good reminder never to get super cereal about a game.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 2:44:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Spray n Pray is the name the game gave it but I might have to rename it to deathclaw slayer. Even legendary alpha death claws go down in seconds

Speaking of weapons, any lore friendly weapon and/or ammo pack mods that are recommended? I don't want to remove the stuff that came with the game but adding some stuff from previous fallouts would be nice, or real guns that could conceivably be in the fallout universe like WW1/WW2 stuff since the FO history seems to have changed from ours shortly after ww2

I have found a 10mm smg that looks promising. Haven't installed it as I waiting until I beat the game once before doing mods but it looks like the smg from previous games
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/22223/?
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 3:03:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Spray n Pray is the name the game gave it but I might have to rename it to deathclaw slayer. Even legendary alpha death claws go down in seconds

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/mikehunt234/20170228201324_1.jpg
View Quote

Cricket died in my game, so I couldn't buy it.  I do have an explosive radium rifle though, and that rifle destroys pretty much everything.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 1:17:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Cricket died in my game, so I couldn't buy it.  I do have an explosive radium rifle though, and that rifle destroys pretty much everything.
View Quote

For the longest time I thought the radium rifle was an energy weapon. Just realized it wasn't.
Explosive mod is my favorite. With an explosive combat shotgun I can blow power armor to shreds and send deathclaws flying into space.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 1:52:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

For the longest time I thought the radium rifle was an energy weapon. Just realized it wasn't.
Explosive mod is my favorite. With an explosive combat shotgun I can blow power armor to shreds and send deathclaws flying into space.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The explosive minigun is probably the most destructive weapon in the game.  It's like a GAU-8 you can carry.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 5:47:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Logged into the game last night for the first time in months, and it's still CTDing every time I port to Nukaworld. Can't figure out what it is this time, so I'm looking at a complete wipe and reinstall. It'll be fun, since half a dozen of the mods I used to use are no longer available.

Anybody know what exactly lives in the Data folder before you install any mods? I'd like to try wiping the directory before embarking on the downloading of the game and all DLC.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 12:24:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Something is coming.  Not sure what, but Bethesda just started tweeting a bunch of screenshots about SPECIAL attributes earlier today.  Could be a special edition, the VR version of the game, or that rumored expansion.  Personally, I'm guessing a special edition release.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 12:46:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Logged into the game last night for the first time in months, and it's still CTDing every time I port to Nukaworld. Can't figure out what it is this time, so I'm looking at a complete wipe and reinstall. It'll be fun, since half a dozen of the mods I used to use are no longer available.

Anybody know what exactly lives in the Data folder before you install any mods? I'd like to try wiping the directory before embarking on the downloading of the game and all DLC.
View Quote

If you have it on steam, try to 'verify the integrity of game files'. That fixed the problems I had with mine. Every now and then things get corrupted.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 12:51:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Something is coming.  Not sure what, but Bethesda just started tweeting a bunch of screenshots about SPECIAL attributes earlier today.  Could be a special edition, the VR version of the game, or that rumored expansion.  Personally, I'm guessing a special edition release.
View Quote

I'm thinking VR
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 12:58:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'm thinking VR
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm thinking VR

I didn't think it was quite that far along.  Then again, if it ended up only being minor modifications to the code, it's entirely possible.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 2:43:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

If you have it on steam, try to 'verify the integrity of game files'. That fixed the problems I had with mine. Every now and then things get corrupted.
View Quote

Thanks. I end up doing that a couple of times a month when I'm playing regularly. This problem, I'm pretty sure is a mod issue. There have been a bunch of modders actually quit modding for Beth games because their constant micropatches fuck things up and everybody ends up troubleshooting and finetuning mods. Last time it was UI issues, and anybody who was running full dialog and/or keynukr would crash because something in NukaWorld didn't like them. Unload those two (and/or a few others that I didn't have to worry about) and the game started running again.

I was just hoping somebody knew which of the mods the latest (say, last couple of months) patches borked. Last time it took me in the neighborhood of seven hours to track down the problem child, and I still can't figure out HOW it screwed things up.

By the way, HOLY FUCK with that hires dlc!!!  My Fallout 4 folder is 110fuckinggigabytes
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 7:02:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
S/E ? As in all the DLC into one package?

Yawn.   And VR doesn't interest me at this stage.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 7:05:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Just a heads up for anybody else who's having problems with CTDs in NukaWorld.

I got lucky and only had to waste a couple of hours. Looks like the culprit was 'realistic water', an early hi res water replacer. Worked fine all through the DLCs, and even in NW right up until about late December. Then a micropatch borked it.

You never know what sort of unobtrusive mod will run afoul of FO4, which is why many modders abandoned it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 7:18:06 PM EDT
[#15]
I accidentally discovered a new (to me) room at the Warwick Homestead.  
I never thought to check the building across the water tanks, but I had to talk to a settler who spawned in the far tank.
There is a mini nuke inside, but nothing else.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 7:10:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Has anybody ever discovered the actual cause/cure for the earthquake bug?
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 2:40:01 PM EDT
[#17]
New/different guns/gear/power armor is fun but I'd like something with more substance.  are there any decent quest mods out there?  last time I checked bethnet nearly all of them were either dead/unfinished or sounded retarded
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 3:49:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Huh, Sanctuary Hills (name changed) is apparently a real place outside of Concord.  The bridge into Sanctuary matches the Old North Bridge, and the rest is a tweak of the Minute Man National Historical Park.  Go figure.

Link Posted: 3/25/2017 6:08:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Gus I need help. I came to a dead end on my missions. I don't know what I did

I try to talk to Preston and he just tells me he's not trusting me again.  I have no more main missions to do and I know I'm not done with them!

I admit that I hate cut scenes and dialog in video games so I kinda fly threw it so I'm guessing I did something to end the game early.

Last main mission I did was Rouge courser drug den for preston. I've done a lot of the quatermastery and cleansing common wealth missions sense hoping that it would unlock more main missions... no dice.

Anyone have an idea?

Here's what I got on my pip
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 6:54:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I try to talk to Preston and he just tells me he's not trusting me again.  I have no more main missions to do and I know I'm not done with them!

I admit that I hate cut scenes and dialog in video games so I kinda fly threw it so I'm guessing I did something to end the game early.

Last main mission I did was Rouge courser drug den for preston. I've done a lot of the quatermastery and cleansing common wealth missions sense hoping that it would unlock more main missions... no dice.

Anyone have an idea?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/364189/IMG-7dd512a2-ebf8-4d2f-af79-25afbcdd2a5f-173802.JPG
View Quote
Did you do the Nuka World DLC and become a raider leader? Because Preston don't go for that shit.

Also, I'm hearing that if you blow up the institute there might be some strife.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 7:32:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Did you do the Nuka World DLC and become a raider leader? Because Preston don't go for that shit.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anyone have an idea?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/364189/IMG-7dd512a2-ebf8-4d2f-af79-25afbcdd2a5f-173802.JPG

I don't know if I sided with the Raiders but I have 3 raider settlements. I also blew the institute up
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 7:53:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I don't know if I sided with the Raiders but I have 3 raider settlements. I also blew the institute up
View Quote
Yep, once you setup Raider settlements in the Commonwealth Preston rejects you.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:39:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well what the fuck. Glad I wasted my time on this dog shit
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:51:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
Look on the bright side. Most people DREAM of having Preston leave them the fuck alone.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:55:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Look on the bright side. Most people DREAM of having Preston leave them the fuck alone.
View Quote
No shit, I was in a glitch loop where he kept wanting to have that heart to heart chat after he idolized me over and over and over and over. Every time I'd see him, he'd want to talk. I exhausted every dialogue option, but he still wanted to have that talk.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:57:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not when I was building an awesome settlement and getting into the game. I'm pissed
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 4:14:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Not when I was building an awesome settlement and getting into the game. I'm pissed
View Quote
You don't need Preston to build settlements. Just ignore his ass and get on with the building.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 5:07:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

You don't need Preston to build settlements. Just ignore his ass and get on with the building.
View Quote
yeah but I'd say it still depends on how far along the minutemen path he is.  Pissing preston off early can keep you from getting some fun stuff. 

Of course once you retake the castle preston has zero impact on the game.    If hes got the castle and the minutemen are up and running then all he potentially has to lose out on is prestons perk (assuming he hasnt gotten that already too)
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 6:42:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Depending on how far you are, you can also slaughter the raiders and get back on Preston's good side. 
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 1:02:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Depending on how far you are, you can also slaughter the raiders and get back on Preston's good side. 
View Quote
Ill give that a shot. Seems the Nuka dlc was very short.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 1:03:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
yeah but I'd say it still depends on how far along the minutemen path he is.  Pissing preston off early can keep you from getting some fun stuff. 

Of course once you retake the castle preston has zero impact on the game.    If hes got the castle and the minutemen are up and running then all he potentially has to lose out on is prestons perk (assuming he hasnt gotten that already too)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've defended the castle twice
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 1:55:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Huh, Sanctuary Hills (name changed) is apparently a real place outside of Concord.  The bridge into Sanctuary matches the Old North Bridge, and the rest is a tweak of the Minute Man National Historical Park.  Go figure.

http://fraghero.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/fallout-settlement.jpg
View Quote
I noticed that fallout new vegas has a lot of real places in it too. There's even a solar farm visible on google earth that's around where helios one is
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 2:00:50 PM EDT
[#33]
if you're on the pc the faction console commands might help
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_4_console_commands

I've never messed with them though so I can't say for sure
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 6:55:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Fallout Tank - Shark Tank Parody (April Fools)
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 12:29:36 AM EDT
[#35]
got bored, built another robot

I've since switched out the gatling laser for a nuka cherry explosive thing
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 11:06:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 7:21:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I have not touched the game in months. Any word on a new fallout?
View Quote
I'm guessing that it will be a while.  And hopefully they'll switch to a new engine.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 10:39:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 11:30:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Do they just keep adding addons to this one?
View Quote
Got patched within the past couple of days, but I'm not sure what changed. The last real DLC was the free HD textures patch, which was 54gb all by its own self.

Mostly, if you want new game experience, you've gotta run mods. There are one or two decent quest mods out there. The problem with FO4 is that it was such a flat game to start with. There wasn't a lot of story depth because role playing was sacrificed at the alter of action and openworldiness. Also, voiced protagonist hinders quest mod making somewhat more than somewhat. I was one of those clamoring for it, but I now realize the error of my ways.

Next FO will be a long ways off, and the only thing we know about it as of now is that neither Bioware nor Obsidian will be any part of it.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 12:59:33 AM EDT
[#40]
I haz request.

I finally bit the bullet and downloaded the creation kit. The starting conditions have been bugging me since release, and I've been waiting for a lore-friendly mod to fix it, but none of them has really addressed the situation, so I decided, 'fuck it, I do myself!'

Here's the basis of the mod. Not-yet-Lone-Survivor is either A vet or the spouse of a vet. The vet knows what's coming as evidenced by the introduction. He's also a war hero, as evidenced by the speech he's getting ready for and some console entries we find later into the game.

And yet he's got not so much as a sharp stick to his name? No preps at all?  Granted, if he had himself all squared away, there'd be no reason to go to the shelter, but he should have at least been trying to get ready. He'd also know the general area at least reasonably well. I mean, the gas station wouldn't be any sort of surprise, right?

So, what I'm going to try and do, God and Creation Kit willing.

First step: Give the player home a partially furnished basement. Nothing fancy, none of this megafortress shit with all of the work stations and thousands of every resource, and not even a separate cell. I don't want him to be able to go into the basement to get out of the rads when the storms come. If it was that easy, there'd be no need for a shelter. I'm thinking turn the current laundry room into a hallway/stairway down to the basement. Move the HVAC and washer/dryer down to the basement. At one end of the basement, a rug, a couple of chairs, and a pool table. Maybe a small bar. You know, like ya do.

In the other half, building materials will be stacked-- not too deep. six or ten bags of cement, concrete blocks, some lumber. The kind of stuff you'd have staged for a do-it-yourself project. Like he was getting ready, he just wasn't ready-ready.

In the back wall of the basement, leading out under the back yard, there'd be a sealed door with at least a key lock, or perhaps a terminal unlock. The player would be assumed to know the code, so there wouldn't need to be anything to hack. Just one of those password accepted messages. Maybe a bulkhead, but maybe just a security door, That's the first question I've got for all you survivors out there. Would he have access to a vault-type hatch? I'm not sure if those types of doors are available in the vanilla game and I'm trying to keep the prerequisites simple. This door lead to a smaller concrete room with the actual teleport hatch to the interior cell where the PC and any followers would be safe.

This cell wouldn't be any larger than the PC home's back yard (he's a law abiding citizen, more or less, and the wife's a lawyer, so she probably wouldn't want to risk the lawsuits involved with undermining the neighbor's yards.)

The basic layout would be a kitchen area with cooking facilities (I know how to make those without having an open fire), a shitter with shower, a decent sized living area, and 1 small bedroom for the happy couple. There would also be an unfinished wound in one of the walls where the vet would have been expanding the bunker since the arrival of Baby Shaun. This would be the reason for the decision to use the Vault, since he'd have been concerned that the unfinished section might not be proof against the fallout.

Here's the next question. Would it be better to make this a 'player home' with safe storage and the basic amenities, or give it a workshop and let players redecorate/build inside? Maybe (if I can figure out build areas, and if they allow it) allow the player to finish the bunker, adding additional rooms. Depending on which I do, it'll be at least partially, if not fully furnished (pre-war, it might have functioned as Nate's man cave)

There will be a small water purification station inside (for sufficient values of), since the shelter is essentially below the water table (it is an island, after all) Basically a reskinned water pump that generates 3 water.

I had been tempted to have standing water inside the bunker because of the water table causing flooding, but I don't know how I'd be able to allow the player to remove it through normal gameplay.

There would be safe, non-respawning storage in the cell, even aside from any workbenches. As a side note, I really wish somebody would build a proper gun safe.  I figure, the vet would have a couple of sets of clean clothes, a set of fatigues, basic pre-war armor, a combat knife, duty weapon, and perhaps a side arm, although, by the time you reach the house, you're awash in 10mms. Probably also have a pair of binoculars, although that would require me to move outside of vanilla assets.

For the spouse, I figure a couple of sets of pre-war dresses/outfits, her own set of fatigues and a laser rifle. For the purposes of gameplay, the lawyer lady would obviously have access to whatever her husband had left behind. The extra rifle is just for flavor.

There'll be a safe with a chunk of gold and prewar money, some jewelry, and important documents. Obviously, no caps at all.

NOW, on to the big questions...

Weapons. Some of us play as door kickers, some of us are sneaky bastards who strike from the darkness. What sorts of loadouts would the various Nate's use? If I do put this up on the nexus, the only difference between the variations would be the contents of a single crate and a single locker/safe.

How good a rifle/pistol/melee weapon is too good? Don't want to spoil gameplay, but a (for instance) seasoned sniper rolling into Concord that first time with a shitty off the shelf 10mm, or a halfassed sawed off doesn't make for that much immersive fun.

How much ammo? I see a lot of mods that start the player out with 1000 rounds or more. My first blush at seeing that was, "Wow! Overpowered, much?" Then I remembered how much ammo is in my own ammo fort, and decided, okay, reasonable. Again, though, how much for balance? I think survival installs the difficulty by adding ammo weight, but, honestly, playing on normal, I never once had any difficulty finding enough ammo in the wasteland, even without any perks.

How much food would he have/how much would be unbalancing? This is a question of how far along he was in his preps, so any amount from fully stocked for the apocalypse to half a box of sugar bombs and a swollen can of Cram. Obviously, no post war veggies or meats. I know there's a way to have unradiated canned goods, since I have some in my own inventory. I'm just not sure where they came from

There you have it. I've already decided what sorts of weapons mods I'm going to have in my bunker (and shit, what a party adding simple mods is in this mess!), but if I'm going to all this trouble, I may as well put the thing up, so input is greatly desired.

I can't promise how quick this thing will go up... I might see something shiny and wander off for a week at a time, but I'll get it loaded eventually.

Also, as kind of an afterthought, and if I can figure out how to do it, I might be looking at adding a quest factor to the mod, where pre-war Nate established geo caches here and there around the not yet wasteland. What d'you guys think?
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 1:12:18 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I'm guessing that it will be a while.  And hopefully they'll switch to a new engine.
View Quote
Hopefully it won't be as ghey as 4. Hopefully, the next game is modeled after 1,2, 3 and NV=perfection. I don't want another SkyrIm.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 1:18:26 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Hopefully it won't be as ghey as 4. Hopefully, the next game is modeled after 1,2, 3 and NV=perfection. I don't want another SkyrIm.
View Quote
Looking at the number of FO4 copies that were sold I can confidently predict your wish will not be granted.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 9:38:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL, I was talking with someone recently about all the similarities between Skyrim and Fallout.  Yeah, NV was great, but then with 4, they got away from some of the things I really liked about 3 and NV... but it's still a really good game compared with the current competition IMO.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 10:15:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

http://fraghero.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/fallout-settlement.jpg
View Quote
That's the beauty of Fallout.  The game makes *accurate* reference to so many real-life places and events from our past and present, and gives other related subjects a believable spin into sci-fi and/or alternate-history elements that mesh with the settings and storylines impressively well.

The various museums (particularly the Museum of History) in Fallout 3 are splendid examples of this.  The Helios project you see in New Vegas is also a real thing (search Ivanpah Solar Power Facility for more info).
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 10:00:01 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 10:49:46 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

The guys at Bethesda do that.

For example last week I was eating and drinking here:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/162/Goodsprings-181334.jpg

Got to meet Chet as well.
View Quote
Is the guy in the General Store really named Chet? That would be awesome.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 11:20:52 AM EDT
[#47]
Good luck with the mods, I've actually considered trying to work on some of my own, to replace some that the author decided to remove from general use and only make available through some stupid cookie quest module.  I discovered this AFTER I had deleted all of my mods while troubleshooting an issue, so I lost some functionality I'd gotten used to.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 11:23:01 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 6:00:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Good luck with the mods, I've actually considered trying to work on some of my own, to replace some that the author decided to remove from general use and only make available through some stupid cookie quest module.  I discovered this AFTER I had deleted all of my mods while troubleshooting an issue, so I lost some functionality I'd gotten used to.
View Quote
Same here. Or the mods evolved away from what I wanted and into some sort of super-hack that I didn't.

Getting the Creation Kit working is proving to be an adventure, even with the tutorials. Apparently making windows scaleable isn't a thing the creators could reliably do, and some of the edit windows open at nonsensical size. The cell edit window, for instance, requires a minimum vertical resolution of around 1080 just to see the 'okay' and 'cancel' buttons. I found a program that'll resize 'any' window that uses standard Microsoft formats, but while it resizes the windows, everything inside them stays the same. According to the resize guys, this means that they couldn't be bothered to use Microsoft standards.

Looks like I'm also going to have to learn Outfit Studio and nifskope if I want my gun safe.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 6:40:30 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

No he isn't, that's just the name the game used.  But the people there (staff and locals) were awesome.  There is some interesting history at the bar.

The 'General Store' is an extension of the saloon (a second bar and more seating - plus the T-shirt sales).
View Quote
Do they at least sell Fallout stuff? I'm sure they are all aware they were featured in a game.
Page / 310
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top