Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 5:16:00 AM EDT
[#1]
That's pretty cool man.
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 5:21:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I dont think i could trust strangers enough to let them come to my house, or go to their house. amazing and some faith in humanity restored.

View Quote

this, except no faith restored, good for you op though
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 5:46:04 AM EDT
[#3]
My Wife and I own a place in a very remote part of far Northern CA.  Just up the mountain from our place, the
Pacific Crest Trail runs.

We would often drive up the mountain in our convertible Ramcharger and pick up a group.  We'd bring up
snacks, water and beer for them and drive them down into a small town where there is a hikers hut,
small restaurant and grocery store.

Except for the STENCH , it was allot of fun hearing their trail and life stories.

My Son thru hiked the AT 3 years ago, and although he looked like a filthy hippie by the time he reached Maine,
he is a gun loving conservative ex millitary
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 6:09:41 AM EDT
[#4]
I used to pick-up AT hikers if I saw them trudging towards the trail after resupplying in town but they were so funky I made them ride in the PU bed unless I was in one of my Jeeps with no top.

If I was headed up to the hunting cabin I'd ask if they wanted a ride to Mosby Shelter (on the property) and they did not seem to mind "cheating" a little if they were headed in that direction. It cut about eight miles off their walk.
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 7:19:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Nice place L.

And looks like you're having a lot of fun sharing it.

Link Posted: 6/6/2015 7:22:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 7:33:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Did you fuck the girl?

How often do you get to fuck the girls you pick up?
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 7:35:38 AM EDT
[#8]
human centipede part 4
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 7:36:52 AM EDT
[#9]
In the early 80s I used to pick up hitch hikers all the time.  

Never had anything bad happen.
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 7:41:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Glad I found this thread. Cool story, OP.

Link Posted: 6/6/2015 8:31:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Good thread op. But it does seem familiar.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 8:33:11 AM EDT
[#12]
I tell you what... If I used the ignore feature, this thread would be a gold mine.

Good for you, OP.  I've taken a few pack travelers into my home, and always had a good time talking to good people.

Link Posted: 6/6/2015 8:57:09 AM EDT
[#13]

Lmao!!!
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 8:57:40 AM EDT
[#14]

Lmao!!!
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 9:18:02 AM EDT
[#15]
I might be down in Charlottesville next weekend

maybe i should plan a surprise for the OP

Link Posted: 6/6/2015 10:56:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Good thread op. But it does seem familiar.

View Quote

The thread is indeed familiar.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1495037__ARCHIVED_THREAD____Picked_up_some_App_Trail_hikers.html&page=1

Over the winter, we had a few Arfcommers who mentioned possibly thru hiking the trail this year.  I couldn't recall if any actually set out, but thought I'd start a thread on the off chance one of us was on the trail.  A couple of years ago, I missed fellow Arfcommer, Thatdude333, by an hour or two.

So of the roughly 2500 NB hikers starting out, about 1300 will make it to my area, and of those 1300, maybe we know a couple of them?

Uphill odds, yes, but Arfcom has never let statistics or reason get in the way of starting a thread.

In 2013, Arfcom knew about 10% of the hikers I picked up.
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 11:17:56 AM EDT
[#17]
This is definitely my daily dose of Americana, pretty awesome of the OP
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:06:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Bump to keep the thread from going into the archive.  There's a bit of a lull in hikers since most of the North Bound group has passed through.

Here's Iowa and Colorado.  Saw them on the road while coming back from dinner one evening a couple of weeks ago and gave them a ride to the grocery store for a resupply.  Nice kids.  CO was former USAF.  They were already checked into a motel in town for a rest / clean up day, so they didn't stay at l'Auberge de la L_JE.

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:25:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Did you fuck the girl?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Did you fuck the girl?

bullshit KTMsx post
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:38:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

This thread just got rapey...

Kharn

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What I learned in HHM601: Advanced Topics in Abductions and Disappearances, is that the illusion of hope makes the situation much more controllable.

Take, for instance, this map.  They actually think they get to leave, and continue northward.  That's so precious.

http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z362/0471861731/2015/20150601%20AT%20Hikers/_DSC0310z_zpsod0tqfxd.jpg

This thread just got rapey...

Kharn

I thought that was a style?

Link Posted: 7/8/2015 2:28:25 AM EDT
[#21]
That's sort of the reason I take pictures of me returning them back to the wild.  This is strictly a catch and release operation.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 4:32:18 AM EDT
[#22]
nice!

I've been the trail trash asking for a ride before. I've met some GREAT folks doing the AT. never once felt threatened or like I was in harms way.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 4:56:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Ok, so what was the conversation?

, and then smashed my Troy BUIS with a hammer.
View Quote

Any of them armed, ever? Any restrictions on that? Shit I wanna go hike it just so I can use up some of your .22
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 5:35:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
In the early 80s I used to pick up hitch hikers all the time.  

Never had anything bad happen.
View Quote

As a young sailor in the 70's I used to hitch all over the country.  The only problem I can remember is someone throwing a beer bottle out of a car window.  Their aim wasn't all that great.  
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 6:13:33 AM EDT
[#25]
I did the AT as a thru hiker in 1995.
That was spectacularly fun.

I still laugh about a sign I ran across in the Southern half it said "No Treespassing.  Bewere of Shootgun.".
You know if someone spells like that, they mean business.

I hiked in the era of burned trail shelters and fish-hooks hung at eye level in various parts of the trail.  I hope that crap is done

I'd love to get a second pass on the AT... Maybe in a few years.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 11:18:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Any of them armed, ever? Any restrictions on that? Shit I wanna go hike it just so I can use up some of your .22
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ok, so what was the conversation?

, and then smashed my Troy BUIS with a hammer.

And that's why I liked the gal. Most of arfcom would have just smashed my rifle.

The most armed any of them have ever owned up to is having a folding knife.  Even if it weren't for the restrictions in NY/NJ/CT/MA, carrying a handgun, even a light one, is just unnecessary weight.  

I had one gal tell me that she was a black belt - I flatly told her that wasn't true, but it was still probably a good thing to say when getting in the car with a stranger.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 11:44:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Great thread.

Link Posted: 7/8/2015 12:10:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Cool thread. Thanks for posting.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top