Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/1/2015 7:56:47 PM EDT
If y'all don't hear back from me .. feel free to say some nice things about me ... or not.

They're App Trail hikers, so they're mostly legit.  Mostly.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 8:00:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Isn't that cheating?
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 8:01:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm in. Post pics of dirty hippies
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 11:40:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Isn't that cheating?
View Quote

Cheating?

Cheating on the hike?

Or cheating at luring unsuspecting victims to my place?

The hike is already 2200 miles long, at a minimum, and if you count all of the walking to/from towns for resupply, the mileage could probably push 3500 miles, or more.  So, no, it's definitely not cheating.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 11:56:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I was running some errands in town when I saw this guy leashed to a tree at the Walmart.  Most local dogs don't have fancy backpacks, so it was most likely a thru hiker's dog.  I was a little thrown off because all the gear said through hiker, but the pack didn't smell like the pack of a thru hiker.  

So, my dog and I sat down with this guy to see if the hiker in the Walmart needed a ride back up to the trail.  My dog was kind of confused, and not terribly jazzed about the whole thing.

Turns out it was two hikers, and the gal left her pack in the minivan that gave them a ride to the Walmart.  The hikers had stayed overnight at a motel, and didn't have that thru hiker smell.  It also seemed that their packs were both purchased in Virginia, and hadn't yet acquired the impregnated smell of despair.  The olfactory disconnect threw me into a state of disequilibrium, but I was able to pull myself together and offer them a ride back up to the trail, or if they were staying in town, they could overnight at my place.

As it was, they were heading back up to the trail, so I gave them a ride back up to the point on the Blue Ride Parkway where they exited the trail a day ago.

And, yeah, a lot of rain.

The guy was an electrician all the way from California, and the gal did set construction for movies in the Boston area.  Nice folks.  Really great dog.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 11:58:24 PM EDT
[#5]

Link Posted: 6/1/2015 11:58:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 12:00:27 AM EDT
[#7]

Well, I suppose it IS easier than posting a Craigslist Casual Encounters ad.

Link Posted: 6/2/2015 12:03:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 12:04:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Ah, the dog.  The dog has an awesome story.

The guy adopted the dog from the SPCA shelter in Damascus, VA.  The dog is a 7 month-old red heeler mix.  From what he said, the dog does kind of slow him down a bit, but I'm glad to see the dog find a home, even if the home is an 8x8 tarp for the next couple of months.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 12:20:43 AM EDT
[#10]
So, right now, you're about to point out that the timing of my OP doesn't gist with the photos I posted.

At 8pm, I said I had to pick up some hikers, and the photos are all from mid day.

Because when, I dropped off the other two, another completely unrelated hiker was passing by, and looked like he was making good time, so I gave him my number and told him when he made it to the next major road crossing, I could give him and about 4 others a ride into town, and a place to stay if they needed.

So, I got a call around 7:50 - kind of after I had already written them off for the day.  And it was pouring rain.  He said there were two others, and I didn't know who the two others might be, but there was no way it could have been the first two because their packs were too heavy for that kind of pace.

I got to the trail head around 8:45, and noticed something like 5 people, but two of them had already set up a tent for the night.  My main rule is to avoid camping at trail heads because of human problems, but on a weekday night, and in a pouring rain, that eliminates much of the "local factor", and it seemed like too much effort for them to pack up.

The guy on the far left was the passing hiker earlier in the day, and the guy on the far right already had camp set up at the trail head.  No idea about the two in the middle.  Aside from the fact that they were very ... wet.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 12:27:15 AM EDT
[#11]
We get pct'rs here. If we can give them a lift, or a meal, we do. FWIW, hitching into town for a meal, shower, socks or whatever is not a problem for them. Most go right back to the same trail head to pick up where they left off.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 12:27:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/2/2015 12:29:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Good on you, OP.  I've given PCT thru hikers a lift a few times.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 12:35:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Ok, so it isn't the water park and hang gliding.

But, it is pizza and beer, and a shower and laundry ... which is luxurious by their standards.

This group hails from Connecticut, Georgia and Tennessee.  The other guy and gal have no connection to the first two, earlier in the day.

Link Posted: 6/2/2015 12:39:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 10:20:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Three really nice people.  And, I'm glad things lucked out the way they did.

The gal, we'll just call her Georgia, had a really interesting journal.  She has some brushes and watercolors in her pack, and will sometimes add artwork to her journal.  

Here are a couple examples ...

The guy on the right (shorter beard, from Tennessee) lived in France when he was younger.  His dad was there on a 3 year assignment in Grenoble, and they did a lot of rock climbing in the area.  Some of you may recall my affinity for climbing in France - that's where my bio photo was taken - so Tennessee and I had a lot to talk about.  When he was 11 or 12 his dad took him on an ascent of Mont Aiguille (pictured below); he described the climb as an 11 pitch 5.8, which is a long climb, especially for a young kid.  He and his dad returned to France for vacation a few years later to ski the Haute Route starting from the Aiguille du Midi - you couldn't ask for a more spectacular start - spend a few minutes doing a GIS on the Aiguille du Midi - it's like something straight out of a James Bond movie.

Mont Aiguille ... (not to be confused with the Aiguille du Midi)
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 10:23:35 PM EDT
[#17]
question is...
is OP the one lowing the bucket...
or the one putting the lotion on?
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 10:49:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
question is...
is OP the one lowing the bucket...
or the one putting the lotion on?
View Quote

I try to keep the Buffalo Bill factor to a minimum.

But, the rather unfortunate directions to the guest accommodations are "head upstairs and take a right at the bayonets".
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 7:58:56 PM EDT
[#19]
What I learned in HHM601: Advanced Topics in Abductions and Disappearances, is that the illusion of hope makes the situation much more controllable.

Take, for instance, this map.  They actually think they get to leave, and continue northward.  That's so precious.

Link Posted: 6/3/2015 8:05:37 PM EDT
[#20]
This has the makings of a bad B movie:

A stalker is watching you. Everyone you pick up and deliver to the trail disappears. Circumstantial evidence nails you as their abductor. Stalker marries your SO and has your kids...
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 8:05:50 PM EDT
[#21]
How many pairs of boobs have you seen this way?
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 8:16:52 PM EDT
[#22]
I always thought it would be fun to hike the app trail.
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 8:19:54 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/call-for-a-good-time.jpeg

Link Posted: 6/3/2015 8:21:41 PM EDT
[#24]
You've done this before, haven't you OP? I recall a similar thread a while back.
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 8:21:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 8:22:16 PM EDT
[#26]
I dont think i could trust strangers enough to let them come to my house, or go to their house. amazing and some faith in humanity restored.

Link Posted: 6/3/2015 8:23:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Problem you'll run into there are different skin tones. You start to make your skin outfit and it's all different colors!
You're a good guy op. Cool pics and stuff
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 8:27:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
What I learned in HHM601: Advanced Topics in Abductions and Disappearances, is that the illusion of hope makes the situation much more controllable.

Take, for instance, this map.  They actually think they get to leave, and continue northward.  That's so precious.

http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z362/0471861731/2015/20150601%20AT%20Hikers/_DSC0310z_zpsod0tqfxd.jpg
View Quote

This thread just got rapey...

Kharn

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 8:29:44 PM EDT
[#29]
I'll be totally honest here.

i don't know what the fuck is going on.

Looks like a bunch of hippies . Are they hiking across the country?

If so , how do they get money?

Why aren't they at work ?
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 8:31:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/call-for-a-good-time.jpeg

Link Posted: 6/3/2015 8:33:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Wish I would of met you when I did the trail (no homo) lol.

Great job OP
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 8:34:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Recent SCAD graduates
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 8:36:15 PM EDT
[#33]
I can't tell if the OP has the trap planned, or the hitch hikers are gonna ambush him....

Link Posted: 6/3/2015 8:36:38 PM EDT
[#34]

I worked on that movie back in the day.
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 8:37:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Op, have you appointed an alternate poster to update this thread in the event your head is found cooking on the stove and skin made into Jenners new suit?
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 8:38:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
You've done this before, haven't you OP? I recall a similar thread a while back.
View Quote

I can't help myself.  They're just so ... collectible.
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 8:38:35 PM EDT
[#37]
App trail comes through here with many spin-off trails.  I don't want to say we're a major stop, but I see tons of hikers.

Half of them are fucking bum locals pretending to be through hikers to get free shit.  Fuck them.  most of the App hikers I see have signs asking for money.
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 8:38:48 PM EDT
[#38]
IN b4 the thread if a bunch of missing hitchhikers found w/o heads!!!
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 8:40:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 8:41:25 PM EDT
[#40]
In before this thread becomes airtight.
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 8:42:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Tell them "It puts the lotion on it's skin" and see if they get it.
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 8:42:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Is the female payment?
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 8:42:57 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I want to see your hall of hippie beards.

Link Posted: 6/3/2015 8:49:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

This thread is eerily familiar.  I had to check the date of the posts.
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 8:49:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Don't any of these people own long pants?
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 8:50:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
How many pairs of boobs have you seen this way?
View Quote

Hang on, he's checking his spreadsheet....

Link Posted: 6/3/2015 8:50:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm thinking the Appalachian Trail.
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 8:55:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Op, have you appointed an alternate poster to update this thread in the event your head is found cooking on the stove and skin made into Jenners new suit?
View Quote

I was thinking about trying to do this in a Choose Your Own Adventure style, but having never posted on this site before, I'm not familiar with how to do the links and stuff.
This guy shouldn't let strangers use his computer.
And nobody has asked about the human molar in Georgia's hair?
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 8:58:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I was thinking about trying to do this in a Choose Your Own Adventure style, but having never posted on this site before, I'm not familiar with how to do the links and stuff.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didnt zoom in on that pic until you said human molar.
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 9:00:40 PM EDT
[#50]
They look nice and clean.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top