Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/29/2015 3:55:58 PM EDT
well, for better or for worse, i did my other thread about the gas station robbery... and would you shoot / act, vs not act / wait it out. the results were basically 50/50. 354 votes, 167 would either shoot, or intervene, vs 187 that would wait and not get involved. which has a lot of people upset that they are surrounded by timid sheep, who are afraid to defend themselves. its entirely situation dependent, on how easy it is to decide to use force.. imho.  

heres number 2.

its late at night.... your in your home, you cant sleep, so you get up to get a snack, piss, and surf arfcom.  you grab your usual home defense gun, and take it with you, because your planning on cleaning it while surfing arfcom.   your wife is asleep in bed, your young kids are asleep. as your getting your snack you hear the front door knob quietly rattle, as someone turns it, then a few seconds later, there is a noise at the window, and you look out and see the shadows of two people go to the rear of your house. you walk to the bedroom, and wake your wife, and tell her to call 911, after 10 seconds or so, she says the dispatcher says the police are coming and 5 minutes out........  you walk to the rear of your house... and just as you get in sight of the back door, its kicked in, in the next second, you see a dark figure enter the room, with what appears to be a crowbar, or something metallic in their hand , and you hear a second voice behind the first whisper loudly to " hurry the fuck up, and find the shit, i got ya covered".  

your now facing at least two people storming thru your back door.... the first is definately holding something in their hands, they have not seen you yet, as its a very low light situation.  cops will be there any second..... you have a fully loaded weapon of your choice.... your wife and young kids are behind you...

what do you do??  

myself.....with my unarmed woman and kids depending on me.... and someone smashing my door in late at night...... i honestly dont care what the hell they are planning..... i assume its all bad.... id start shooting before i said a word.. and id honestly feel 100% satisfied with my decision, no matter what the outcome.  im in fear for myself, wife and kids. im shooting.. not taking precious seconds to ask why they are there.  even if it turned out they were drunk, and had the wrong house, and had locked themselves out by accident or anything else innocent / stupid / non criminal intent... id feel bad.... but still confident id done the correct thing, under the circumstances.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 3:57:16 PM EDT
[#1]
first question was too hard. this is too easy.
Mag dump fo sho.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 3:58:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mag dump fo sho.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 3:58:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Mag dump fo sho.
View Quote

Then reload and continue.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 3:59:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Fire to slidelock, reload, repeat as necessary.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 3:59:48 PM EDT
[#5]
"your now facing at least two people storming thru your back door.... "

I would try to come to terms with and understand their feelings.  Before I mowed them down.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:00:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Lol
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:00:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Pew X 15
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:01:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Mag dump fo sho.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:01:41 PM EDT
[#9]
They just need jobs man.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:03:33 PM EDT
[#10]
I missed the other thread, so maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see how this is a difficult decision.

You've basically described the Arfcom GD wet dream.

Therefore, I shoot them both and try for another kid with the wife until the cops get there.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:03:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Would either of you gentleman like a Pepsi?
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:04:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Slide lock like a mo fo
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:07:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:08:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I missed the other thread, so maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see how this is a difficult decision.

You've basically described the Arfcom GD wet dream.

Therefore, I shoot them both and try for another kid with the wife until the cops get there.
View Quote

the other thread was a gas station robbery...... where the criminal declared he only wanted the money, and didnt want trouble.....  there was a lot of arguments basically if people would shoot him from behind or  just mind your own business... basically due to all the trouble you might bring yourself lawsuits, criminal friends and family etc.

that was a situation where you had the possibility of just not becoming involved....

this situation, its as clear cut as possible.... your home... obvious forced entry.... defending your loved ones.  no matter if your sued into the poor house, or the intruders are drunk guys trying to prank their buddy........ imho you dont have a choice but to defend first, and sort it out later.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:08:27 PM EDT
[#15]
I'd be helpless. Because I succumbed to peer pressure from the other thread and sold my carry piece. I'm a CCW sheep for not canoeing the other guy's melon.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:08:47 PM EDT
[#16]
They should all die.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:09:10 PM EDT
[#17]
at what point did you fear for your life?
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:10:39 PM EDT
[#18]
This is a dumb question. Of course I shoot. Per se good shoot.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:11:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Castle Doctrine.

But Really OP?
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:11:29 PM EDT
[#20]
I read the poll question and it was clear that the intruders just had a crowbar.  I selected the first option to alert them that I was armed.

Then I read your post, and read that there were multiple intruders, one had a crowbar, and one had something unidentifiable at the time of intrusion and there was low light.  I would start shooting.

In my opinion, your poll question and the later given situation are two completely different scenarios.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:12:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

In the free world, you don't have to articulate that in this situation. Someone breaking into your house is a valid target.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:12:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Castle Doctrine.

But Really OP?
View Quote

still got 5 people commanding them to leave / get on the floor....... and one who turned his back, and ran back to lock themselves in their bedroom.

which would still probably be effective 50% of the time.... but not something im willing to risk.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:12:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I read the poll question and it was clear that the intruders just had a crowbar.  I selected the first option to alert them that I was armed.

Then I read your post, and read that there were multiple intruders, one had a crowbar, and one had something unidentifiable at the time of intrusion.  I would start shooting.
View Quote

Even if "just a crowbar," I'd shoot. And I'd get pats on the back from the police.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:12:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Don't have to.  In my state castle doctine specifically says I'm legally presumed to be in fear for my life or great bodily harm if somebody forcefully or illegally enters or attempts to enter my home or occupied mode of transportation.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:13:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

When I went for a snack and saw that I was out of beef jerky and flaming hot Cheetos
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:13:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Identify target and proceed with mag dumps.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:17:19 PM EDT
[#27]
I would probably drop the dude with the crowbar right then and there.  The second guy's fate would probably depend on his actions after the first guy goes down.

Of course, I'm talking completely out of my ass and it's all theoretical.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:18:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

id be in serious fear for myself and my family the second they break thru the door...... and id assume it was for bad criminal intent.

everything before that, could have been some drunk guys trying to get into their house... and had the wrong house... etc......   could have been innocent...... but if they smash my door, i dont have time to try to figure out what they are up to, especially since i already see one weapon, and know theres a second guy... im shooting. i would feel like i didnt have any choice at this point but to shoot them.... only thing between these guys and my loved ones is me.  

if it turns out to be the drunk friends of the guy who lives next door trying to prank him.... id feel bad, but still feel like i did the right thing at the time.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:19:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Identify target and proceed with mag dumps.
View Quote

Yup.

Our town marshal's pretty straightforward on this kind of thing.  Plus, castle doctrine FTW.  Not that I want to kill anybody, but if you kick in my door at o-dark:30 lead will be coming the other way in short order.

This is all theoretical of course.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:19:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Bang etc. until click.

Easy.

Quoted:
View Quote

When someone forcefully and violently enters my home, I assume they are not there to sell me cookies.

They get lit up and shot.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:20:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Absolutely
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:24:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Don't have to.  In my state castle doctine specifically says I'm legally presumed to be in fear for my life or great bodily harm if somebody forcefully or illegally enters or attempts to enter my home or occupied mode of transportation.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same for my state.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:25:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Same for my state.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same for my state.

Same here.

Why is this even a question?
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:32:51 PM EDT
[#34]
At least more people get the answer right in this thread.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:36:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Mag dump fo sho.
View Quote

This.

Try harder OP.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:42:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Command that they get on the floor, and start shooting when my sights reach my line of sight (assuming the sights got to my eyes before they got to the floor)
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:47:55 PM EDT
[#37]
They are busting into the house where my kids are sleeping and are obviously up to no good = I'm not taking any chances. Mag dump.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:50:44 PM EDT
[#38]
OP: When are you going to shoot the 1 MOA All Day challenge?

Buck19Delta: "it looks like it shoots well.... try some different ammo.....you should be able to get better than a 1/2 inch at 100 yards. i can do that with my stock LTR, and model 7, XCR, with no trouble. happy shooting!"
View Quote

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_16_17/51___ARFCOM_1_MOA_ALL_DAY_LONG__Challenge_.html
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:51:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Tell them to GTFO, and shoot them if they tarry. Simply because cleaning bloodstains out of carpet is difficult.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:53:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Tell them to GTFO, and shoot them if they tarry. Simply because cleaning bloodstains out of carpet is difficult.
View Quote

Yet another reason to put down hard wood
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:56:59 PM EDT
[#41]
In Florida the irrebuttable legal presumption in this instance would be that the intruders are armed and have the intent to kill or inflict severe bodily injury and may be shot without question.

But true to the spirit of many who replied to the OPs original thread, I would ask them if they would like a cup of coffee or would they prefer a cup of tea instead?

Then I'd wait to see what happens before taking any other action in case they promise to just take all my stuff and then leave peacefully.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 5:05:39 PM EDT
[#42]
I'd like to think I would handle it as well as Mike_P did.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 5:05:50 PM EDT
[#43]
I wish the poll wasn't anonymous

I'd shoot.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 5:16:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

This.

Try harder OP.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mag dump fo sho.

This.

Try harder OP.

ok.....heres one for you.

you wake up late at night, and you cant sleep. you pick up your rifle to clean it, and are about to unload it. you look out the window.. and notice movement, its across the street. you look thru your acog, and see a man standing there pouring what you realize is liquid from a gas can all over the side of the house across the street..... you see 1/2 dozen empty gas cans, and see he has just finished pouring what you can only assume is gasoline all around the house across the street.... you know the family, husband, wife, with 4 teenagers .. one is a very pretty 19 year old girl, who has been having all kinds of problems with her ex boyfriend, stalking, abuse, death threats etc after she breaks up with him..... you know theres a restraining order.

you reconize the guy... its the crazy ex boyfriend.. and hes attempting to light a lighter, and holding a molotov cocktail....but its just sparking..

would you shoot him?

i would.  shoot him right thru the window, dead in the neighbors yard.

attempted arson of a occupied dwelling is grounds for using deadly force.

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 5:21:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Home invasion type smash in?  They are getting shot multiple times.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 5:27:03 PM EDT
[#46]
"I am armed. Drop what you're carrying, get down on the ground and lace your fingers behind your head if you don't want to get shot."
If they comply, hold them at gunpoint from a distance until the police get here. If they don't comply, they get shot. I'm not really picky which they do, so long as me and mine are safe.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 5:29:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Mag dump fo sho.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 5:32:09 PM EDT
[#48]
This one is easy - shoot until the danger is passed.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 5:35:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

you wake up late at night, and you cant sleep. you pick up your rifle to clean it, and are about to unload it. you look out the window.. and notice movement, its across the street. you look thru your acog, and see a man standing there pouring what you realize is liquid from a gas can all over the side of the house across the street..... you see 1/2 dozen empty gas cans, and see he has just finished pouring what you can only assume is gasoline all around the house across the street.... you know the family, husband, wife, with 4 teenagers .. one is a very pretty 19 year old girl, who has been having all kinds of problems with her ex boyfriend, stalking, abuse, death threats etc after she breaks up with him..... you know theres a restraining order.

you reconize the guy... its the crazy ex boyfriend.. and hes attempting to light a lighter, and holding a molotov cocktail....but its just sparking..

would you shoot him?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mag dump fo sho.

This.

Try harder OP.

would you shoot him?

I'd drop that guy without hesitation.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 5:39:19 PM EDT
[#50]
I would offer them jobs.  If its good enough to stop ISIS, it will surely pacify 2 rookie B&E guys.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top