Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/29/2015 2:00:28 PM EDT
I watched the movie Messenger: Joan of Arc this morning.

I could see why it was panned by most of the critics upon release.  The first half of it was mainly action scenes that were almost comical to the point of watching a Monty Python movie.   However, later in the movie when Dustin Hoffman appears as Joan of Arc's conscience, it gets really provocative.  

Did she experience visions from God or was she just having delusions?   Either way, it ended up inspiring the French to finally start winning battles against the occupying British.  

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 2:01:45 PM EDT
[#1]
crazy eyes she had..
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 2:02:25 PM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 2:03:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Logically, there is no god, so bitch was crazy.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 2:03:17 PM EDT
[#5]
No comment.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 2:03:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Jesus - the Charlie thread didn't have enough atheist vs. believer butthurt in it we need to start a new one?

And yes, I'm in.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 2:04:54 PM EDT
[#7]
All in favor of burning the heretical OP at that stake?  

Aye

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 2:05:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Should have been first post.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 2:05:45 PM EDT
[#9]
She was a true believer, who was willing to die at the hands of religious persecution.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 2:06:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 2:10:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Anyone who believes the former ....... is the latter.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 2:11:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Did she experience visions from God or was she just having delusions?
View Quote

One and the same thing.

There are some good scholarly biographies on Joan of Arc. Have always been fascinated by her.

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 2:15:57 PM EDT
[#13]
She was Bat Crap Crazy and no one would date her.....
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 2:16:31 PM EDT
[#14]
She was batshit crazy.  Bet she would have been a good lay.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 2:17:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
She was Bat Crap Crazy and no one would date her.....
View Quote

well she was a horse chick..
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 2:17:13 PM EDT
[#16]

Crazier than a sack full of rats in a bucket of Tabasco sauce.

Got shit done though.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 2:17:30 PM EDT
[#17]

She's hot and I'd do her after the Hot Pockets were done.

Chris
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 2:19:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

The real problem was the virginity, hit that shit once7,then you have 3 years of crazy stalker to deal with..

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 2:21:19 PM EDT
[#19]
crazy bitch

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 2:22:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 2:24:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The real problem was the virginity, hit that shit once7,then you have 3 years of crazy stalker to deal with..

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it was good enough, I would have stayed and played.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 2:30:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Needs more Jane Weidlin.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 2:31:08 PM EDT
[#23]
It's a bit of a long time since her life, so I'm not sure I'm qualified to judge.

The Catholic Church did canonize her though.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 2:33:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
She was a true believer, who was willing to die at the hands of religious persecution.
View Quote

Religious persecution?  She was put to death for wearing men's clothing, in contravention of Deuteronomy.

ETA:  Though she was found innocent in the retrial.  Too bad for her it happened after her death.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 2:36:32 PM EDT
[#25]
I don't know. Was David Koresh on a mission from god?
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 2:46:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Britain wouldn't exist for another 250 years after the Hundred Years War had ended. The land the English were "occupying" was English land to begin with that was being occupied by the French. It also took them another twenty years to get their act together. French victory in the HYW has much more to do with problems with the governance of England than a schizophrenic French teenager.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 2:59:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nailed it.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 3:01:05 PM EDT
[#28]

I'm going with "crazy."

I don't believe that God speaks directly to people any more.

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 3:03:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Both sides claimed God was on their side. Both sides were Catholic. The Dauphane, the royal Joan fought for, was an extremely corrupt individual who bankrupted his people and had orgies. God was not involved in that war.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 3:04:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 3:04:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I don't know. Was David Koresh on a mission from god?
View Quote

He may have thought he was. But I think it's a hard line to sell these days, even to the believers, most will think you are just crazy.

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 3:12:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Both sides claimed God was on their side. Both sides were Catholic. The Dauphane, the royal Joan fought for, was an extremely corrupt individual who bankrupted his people and had orgies. God was not involved in that war.
View Quote

Meanwhile the guy she was fighting against was all but made a saint after his death, the causes of which are primarily him being too meek and pious to decisively deal with his rivals.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 3:22:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Khaleesi.....
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 3:38:33 PM EDT
[#34]
If you are an atheist, then the obvious answer is that she had the cray cray.

If you believe in God, then I don't know if you can really say one way or the other. None of us were there, nor do we know anyone that was there. IF God spoke to her directly, noone around her would have known for sure either. It's an interesting conundrum.

I do know that she got a raw deal from the oh so amazing Catholic church at the time.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 3:44:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 3:51:53 PM EDT
[#36]
I personally would expect some of both.

Many crazy people think they are on a mission.  Likewise those on a mission are often viewed as crazy.

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 3:55:11 PM EDT
[#37]
View Quote

Don't know how she actually looked back then. Popular media tends to glamourize her, while some feminists disagree with those depictions.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:00:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Nailed it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nailed it.

Yep all Christians are insane. You are right.

Good lord almighty we need to just eliminate religious arguments from GD. This shit is ridiculous.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:07:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Well, according to Bill and Ted she is a little nuts, but historic.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:27:57 PM EDT
[#40]
4 possibilities:
1) Yes, God was speaking to her.
2) No, God wasn't speaking to her, aka BatShit crazy.
3) Something/someone that wasn't God was speaking to her. Satan? Voices in her head?
4) She was smarter than most in a very fatalistic way. (Burning to death for your beliefs is a pretty painful way to punch out, yet she was since Canonized.)

Things to consider in relation to the above:
-The Catholic Church Canonized her.
-None of us were alive at the time.
-Personal belief will persuade a person towards #1 or #3 above, or #2 & #4 (Religious vs Atheist)

As a person who doesn't attend much organized religion, I personally prefer to believe that Joan was talking to someone/something, that was beyond our normal comprehension.  The fact that she was Canonized only solidifies that belief.  Was it God?  I don't know.  Did she have an incredible impact upon her life & times?  Yes.  Would she be considered bat shit crazy by modern society? Absolutely.  Having said all of that, I'll refrain from passing judgement contrary to the Catholic church until such time as any meaningful evidence is presented to persuade me to do so.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:40:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
4 possibilities:
3) Something/someone that wasn't God was speaking to her. Satan? Voices in her head?
4) She was smarter than most in a very fatalistic way. (Burning to death for your beliefs is a pretty painful way to punch out, yet she was since Canonized.)

-Personal belief will persuade a person towards #1 or #3 above, or #2 & #4 (Religious vs Atheist)

As a person who doesn't attend much organized religion, I personally prefer to believe that Joan was talking to someone/something, that was beyond our normal comprehension.  The fact that she was Canonized only solidifies that belief.  Was it God?  I don't know.  Did she have an incredible impact upon her life & times?  Yes.  Would she be considered bat shit crazy by modern society? Absolutely.  Having said all of that, I'll refrain from passing judgement contrary to the Catholic church until such time as any meaningful evidence is presented to persuade me to do so.  YMMV.
View Quote

Please say what you would accept as "any meaningful evidence".
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:48:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Well, according to Bill and Ted she is a little nuts, but historic.
View Quote

And Noah's wife!

If you want to watch the best film version of her story, watch Dreyer's The Passion of Joan of Arc.

Falconetti, who played Joan gives one of the best performances ever captured on film.

The film script was based on the actual court transcripts.  She didn't get burned at the stake for wearing men's clothes.  She was stuck in a catch 22.  If she confessed to have a direct connection to God, she would be considered a heretic and would be excommunicated and not receive proper burial. If she denied that direct connection, she would be denying God, which would damn her to hell and go against everything she lived for.

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:52:40 PM EDT
[#43]
As I said in the other thread and it applies here as well.

These threads always end up a shitfest between people of faith, agnostics, atheists, and anti-thiests. No one here is going to change the others minds. And no one is smarter or more intellectually superior to another based solely on religious/non-religious beliefs. I wish these threads would get immediately put in the religion sub-forum so we don't have to see them week after week after week.

Here is a novel thought.....Believe whatever you want to believe. Do not criticize me for my beliefs, and I won't criticize you for yours.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:56:57 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Good lord almighty we need to just eliminate religious arguments from GD. This shit is ridiculous.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nailed it.

Very few Christians claim God speaks to them directly.

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 5:01:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Don't know how she actually looked back then. Popular media tends to glamourize her, while some feminists disagree with those depictions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

She was said to be short, stocky, sunbrowned, with dark eyes, a red birthmark behind her left ear, and a light feminine voice. Her black hair was bobbed short.

There are two little drawings surviving from her time. On a 1431 document written during her interrogation, a clerk did a doodle in the margin -- a girl in a skirt with a sword. He would have seen Joan in the courtroom in Rouen, where she was condemned to death. Meanwhile, in the village where Joan grew up, a local artist dabbed an impromptu fresco on a wall of the Notre Dame de Bermont chapel, showing a girl in armor kneeling in prayer. It is generally accepted as representing Joan the Maid.

There is also an Altarpiece commissioned by the Rene Duke of Anjou some have suggested might be of the Maid due to Rene's relationship with her but it would have been commissioned  posthumously (1474)
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 5:03:11 PM EDT
[#46]
She was getting the band back together.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 5:06:10 PM EDT
[#47]
She was the right kind of crazy at the right time if you were on her side.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 5:08:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
4 possibilities:

View Quote

Your default position should be to question the church (your default position should be to question everything). It's their job to prove she was worthy of sainthood/on a mission from god/whatever, not the other way around.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 5:11:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Don't stick your sword in the crazy.

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 5:19:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Fighting the English is always the Lord's work!!!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top