Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 3:38:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd have two different types of prisons.  

Maximum Security for violent offenders.

Minimum security "work camps" for nonviolent criminals like thieves and con men.  Every hour of productive work they did would be one hour off their sentence, if they don't want to work they'll be there twice as long as someone who does.

Repeal 70-80% of the laws on the books and require crimes to have a victim as a qualifier for prosecution.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 3:41:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I disagree with your premise, but here is a radical solution that would cut crime:

Wide area persistent surveillance over every city.  Full time video that can individually track every person and vehicle.

Every time a crime happens you just rewind the tape to see where the individual started, then fast forward to see where the individuals ended up.

To make it more effective you mix it with a vast array of license plate scanners.  Every vehicle's plate is tracked and logged.  Cross reference the overhead video with licens plate times to faster identify perpetrators and keep individuals from evading the persistent surveillance.

Look up ARGUS for basic idea of the current capabilites.  Mix the surveillance package with tethered balloons or solar powered drones.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
By reading the headlines seems there needs to be some radical solutions introduced.
Let's hear them?

I disagree with your premise, but here is a radical solution that would cut crime:

Wide area persistent surveillance over every city.  Full time video that can individually track every person and vehicle.

Every time a crime happens you just rewind the tape to see where the individual started, then fast forward to see where the individuals ended up.

To make it more effective you mix it with a vast array of license plate scanners.  Every vehicle's plate is tracked and logged.  Cross reference the overhead video with licens plate times to faster identify perpetrators and keep individuals from evading the persistent surveillance.

Look up ARGUS for basic idea of the current capabilites.  Mix the surveillance package with tethered balloons or solar powered drones.

You forgot "Install surveillance in every residence, to ensure that no one is planning a crime, in the privacy of their home."
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 3:41:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Has anybody picked human extinction yet?

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 3:42:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Quite true, but the solution to that is to remove those kids from that parent and give them a shot at growing up in a normal environment
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Look at the stats for how frequently the children of criminals grow up to be criminals themselves. Those children would no longer exist.

Quite true, but the solution to that is to remove those kids from that parent and give them a shot at growing up in a normal environment

A terrific idea!

How many will you take into your home?

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 3:43:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Imagine a society where everybody who had not committed serious crimes were permitted to own and carry firearms. The almost guaranteed resistance from victims would greatly discourage crimes against people. Again, this is assuming people actually do carry their firearms.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 3:44:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Radical? Sure, why not. Let's divide a line between what we'd like and what we can get. If we're being pragmatic, we should consider offering poor people (aka ghetto) free movies and video games, but only at night. This would give the predators something to do. Better for them to be given free (free for them, at least) entertainment than prowl around at night looking for some tax payer to ambush. The cost of free movies and games would be offset by the money saved from fewer crimes being committed. I call this the SOMA strategy.

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 3:45:42 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
You forgot "Install surveillance in every residence, to ensure that no one is planning a crime, in the privacy of their home."

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

By reading the headlines seems there needs to be some radical solutions introduced.

Let's hear them?

Wide area persistent surveillance over every city. Full time video that can individually track every person and vehicle.

To make it more effective you mix it with a vast array of license plate scanners. Every vehicle's plate is tracked and logged. Cross reference the overhead video with licens plate times to faster identify perpetrators and keep individuals from evading the persistent surveillance.

Look up ARGUS for basic idea of the current capabilites. Mix the surveillance package with tethered balloons or solar powered drones.

I knew I forgot something

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 3:46:23 PM EDT
[#8]
while these ideas help to eliminate some of the population, they don't really address the issue.

now I am not touchy feely type person, and I whole heartly agree on the death penalty.

however I feel that for some of the people incarcerated, the money used to keep them in prison could be put to better use in educating them for a better job.
of course this isn't "fair" and could be taken advantage of.

I do believe however that that there are a large portion entering prisons AND GOING BACK because they have no other choices to make in life.

we aren't talking about murders, rapist, or violent criminals. heck even some dopers aren't going to be productive members of society.
however, there are those that might beneifit from a more structured learning institution instead of prison time.
I cannot believe it would not be cheaper to try to educate some of these prisioners in say a locked down school specifically for them. with the choice of pass or go to real prison.
The amount paid per prisoner to private prisons is way more than we put in per student in school.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 3:48:34 PM EDT
[#9]
keeping criminals in jail/prison.

build prisons for lifers in Asia or Africa if its too expensive to do it here.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 3:50:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Put IEDs in basketballs and leave them on the courts
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 3:52:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 3:53:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
A terrific idea!

How many will you take into your home?[/span]
View Quote

None, because I've done my bit raising my own kids and have no interest in being a step-parent of sorts again.
There's an existing foster house system. It has issues as well, but it would beat leaving the kids of crooks with their parents to learn at their parents knee.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 3:54:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
while these ideas help to eliminate some of the population, they don't really address the issue.

now I am not touchy feely type person, and I whole heartly agree on the death penalty.

however I feel that for some of the people incarcerated, the money used to keep them in prison could be put to better use in educating them for a better job.

I do believe however that that there are a large portion entering prisons AND GOING BACK because they have no other choices to make in life.

we aren't talking about murders, rapist, or violent criminals. heck even some dopers aren't going to be productive members of society.
however, there are those that might beneifit from a more structured learning institution instead of prison time.
I cannot believe it would not be cheaper to try to educate some of these prisioners in say a locked down school specifically for them. with the choice of pass or go to real prison.
The amount paid per prisoner to private prisons is way more than we put in per student in school.
View Quote

This starts to address one of the biggest problems with our current system; the term felon. We have created a system where someone that does their time is branded for the rest of their lives. This prevents most of them from gaining ample employment afterwards and leaves them with little option other than returning to crime.  When someone is finished with serving a sentence they should be just like any other free man or woman. If you believe they are so dangerous that they can't return to society they should be put down or kept behind bars. Just removing the stipulation of once a criminal always a criminal would return some faith in a future to those that can actually be educated and reformed.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 3:55:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Look at the stats for how frequently the children of criminals grow up to be criminals themselves. Those children would no longer exist.

If you jailed the parents for life, before they had the kids, we wouldn't need to figure out what to do with them.

Quoted:
3 strikes then executed

Why? Why tolerate violent crime? Is it really so much of a society to ask of its members that they not commit violent crimes against each other?

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 3:56:50 PM EDT
[#15]
1. Eliminate victimless crime.

1.1 If someone is driving recklessly on the freeway, go for it. The kicker is that if he hurts anyone, instant 1st degree charge of assault or murder. Want to drive recklessly anymore? $100-300 fine isn't intimidating enough.

1.2 End the war on drugs. Freedom over your own consciousness has been the most outrageous freedom to be removed. If you do any harm while under the influence, see the kicker for 1.1.

2. Just echoing the opt-in sterilization for money... as long as we're still living in a taxed society.

3. Reform conviction procedure/corrections

3.1 Judges occupy a paid position. if a judge is found to take bribes or is otherwise "sponsored", death penalty. Sounds extreme, but the dude is playing with other people's lives more than any run-of-the-mill serial killer.

3.2 No more private prisons/prisons for profit

3.3 Chain gangs, or the like. If you're convicted of harming someone or stealing something, you're not "paying your debt to society" by sitting in a jail cell sucking up tax dollars. By-product of 100% participation work programs is actual possible reform, and teaching a skill that could be used if the offender ever gets out (thus reducing the need to return to a life of crime). ETA: Inmates generate a product, that product is bought from the prison system for less-than-China-slave-labor prices, markets that to the public/foreign market = free economy boost.

3.4 Convicted 2nd offenders of any violent crime get a bullet after a very expedited, very short appeals process. Stop wasting tax dollars on career criminals. If he didn't change his ways the first time, he's done.

4. Remove restrictions on weaponry allowed to law-abiding public. See kicker for 1.1.

TL:DR, personal responsibility. Don't  harm anyone and you'll be good. If you do, the consequences are as dire as the harm you inflicted.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:01:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

This starts to address one of the biggest problems with our current system; the term felon. We have created a system where someone that does their time is branded for the rest of their lives. This prevents most of them from gaining ample employment afterwards and leaves them with little option other than returning to crime.  When someone is finished with serving a sentence they should be just like any other free man or woman. If you believe they are so dangerous that they can't return to society they should be put down or kept behind bars. Just removing the stipulation of once a criminal always a criminal would return some faith in a future to those that can actually be educated and reformed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, and this.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:02:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Very well said.

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:05:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Three strikes and you're out.  Out doesn't mean life in prison.
View Quote

This and F3PNI.  

Take away the welfare state.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:05:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Jobs for the most part.
View Quote

Why would anyone want a job when you can get shit for free and steal to fund the 'extras' ?
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:09:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Actually hold people accountable for their actions and punishing them.
Quick turn around times on executions.
Encourage people to get educated and work instead of rewarding them for being lazy fucks that leech off of those of us that work.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:10:06 PM EDT
[#21]
killing off gang members?
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:10:48 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Mass executions
View Quote
PUBLIC Mass executions...

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:12:12 PM EDT
[#23]

Round up anyone who voted for Obama.

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:16:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
killing off gang members?
View Quote

I'm all for eliminating the violent, but this would preclude a very steep dive into the elimination of free association. What constitutes a 'gang'?
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:16:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Less laws.

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:17:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Have every working person leave for Canada on a 2 week vacation at the same time.

The first few days will be a free for all, looting, burning...etc.

By day 5 after all the stores are cleaned out and after the alcohol wears off, they'll resort to stealing from each other and killing one another.

Day 8: there will be nothing left food/water wise....those that weren't murdered, will begin dehydration/starvation.

Day 12: 87% of the dregs on society are now dead.

Day 14: those that survived will be more than happy to finally assimilate to society and help with the restoration.

It's the only way.

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:18:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Ban violence, duh.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:18:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Spending a larger percentage on public education.

Nah. Fuck it lets just build more private prisons.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:19:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
martial law and police state?  Just kidding! But I think that's what the liberals would like to see.
View Quote

Only as long as the "Right" people are the ones going to the Gulag
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:22:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
martial law and police state?  Just kidding! But I think that's what the liberals would like to see.

So what your saying is everyone is pro gulag it's just who we are going to send is what we are debating on.

Sounds about right.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:22:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Lets throw tax dollars at things! That will fix it!
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:23:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Colonize space

edit: Legalized weed and life time ban on most felons and their families from receiving tax payer provided benefits, until full restitution is made. Mandatory job training and therapy in prisons.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:29:47 PM EDT
[#33]

Lock criminals up and keep them locked up, like we used to do. Execute murderers, child molesters, rapists and any other heinous crime I may be forgetting.

We need to strike fear into people so they'll straighten up, not send them to vacation-land for some time and let them out to continue their criminal spree, only to return a week later.

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:31:50 PM EDT
[#34]
To reduce crime?

A Napoleonic code, with guilty til proven innocent.
Remove innocent-in-themselves crimes from the rolls - structuring, drug use, gambling, etc.
Supply opiates-of-the-people in abundance: religion used to be the only option, but video games and mild drugs have surpassed in in both efficacy and market penetration. Legalize them and have government sponsored seed money going to consumer-nominated market-provided competitions for niche markets.

All historically proven options with precedent in America, but there's one glaring disruption: crime in America has crashed.

Our grandfathers lived in an apocalyptic shithole by comparison. They liked it and some few of them will still claim straight-faced that it was actually more peaceful, fuck the facts.

Should we increase police powers when there's already a known better balance - our forebearer's golden years? No. The rational thing would be to roll back security powers, community mores, laws, you name it, and reap the bounty of more freedom or whatever, and let crime rise.

Since forensic technology has improved since then, and some significant causes for crime such as lead paint reduced, we ought to get an even better freedom/security ratio than they had, way back when.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:32:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Let's hear them?

Wide area persistent surveillance over every city. Full time video that can individually track every person and vehicle.

To make it more effective you mix it with a vast array of license plate scanners. Every vehicle's plate is tracked and logged. Cross reference the overhead video with licens plate times to faster identify perpetrators and keep individuals from evading the persistent surveillance.

Look up ARGUS for basic idea of the current capabilites. Mix the surveillance package with tethered balloons or solar powered drones.

just implant the entire population with a chip.. then you can track everyone with gps and know exactly who was where when the crime happened.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:42:19 PM EDT
[#36]
LOL
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:42:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Less laws. Stricter punishment for real crimes.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:47:50 PM EDT
[#38]
How much more does it cost to build a prison with cells like the ones at ADX Florence?

I would vote for all future cells to be built thus, and none of this sissy 23/1 shit, either. (24/7/365)

If they go nuts ....... well there are plenty of hard, concrete things for them to bash their brains out against.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:49:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

If you jailed the parents for life, before they had the kids, we wouldn't need to figure out what to do with them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

They start having the kids at 14-18 years of age

Quoted:
. If you believe they are so dangerous that they can't return to society they should be put down or kept behind bars. Just removing the stipulation of once a criminal always a criminal would return some faith in a future to those that can actually be educated and reformed.

Society can't afford the bill
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:51:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
........I'll have a Coke!
View Quote

I see what you did.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:53:25 PM EDT
[#41]
No need to mandate in-home surveillance. It would be too intrusive, and motion recording outdoors with persistent surveiilance is highly effective at convicting criminals. That amplifies the liability of people without local surveillance. Take domestic violence: given the mandate to "arrest someone, anyone," related gender disparities, and the proliferation of similar laws, and given the trend towards cheaper sensors, a father hammering nail-sized pinhole cameras in around his families's new house could one day be considered a charmingly traditional ritual signifying prudence and stability.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:55:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Kill off the human race - all of us?
That's all that will help, and the rest of the critters and such will thank us for leaving.

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:57:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Public executions after appeals are exhausted..

No early out. Make all state prison sentences just like federal sentences. No 'good time'.  

Life means life....not 12 years.

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 6:21:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
If you actually secured the border, Houston would have a 50% reduction in crime over time, and a 75% decrease in DWI deaths. That's not even debatable. Apparently they don't all come here to work. Some come to do the crime that Americans just won't.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 6:33:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
. If you believe they are so dangerous that they can't return to society they should be put down or kept behind bars. Just removing the stipulation of once a criminal always a criminal would return some faith in a future to those that can actually be educated and reformed.

Society can't afford the present "solutions".
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 6:35:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Pay people not otherwise on welfare to have children.

It strikes the mind of the objective thinker that these years of paying people on welfare a rate proportional to how many children they have might be some lingering but wildly successful foreign interest objective to destroy America.

Read this people: the problem is that producers have far fewer children than the slackers.  Let that truth soak in and then let it guide your opinions. Disproportionate birth rates, aka materialism, is killing this country.

Because it's too late in the birth rate race to qualify voters based on tax payer status; and because it's too late to be sensible about who gets payed for having kids, we're doomed to solve the problem without civil war.

Reader, if you're childless, or if you'll have only one child as I have, YOU are the problem.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 6:42:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

6. prison... should be with hard labor.  they should be using inmate labor to clean garbage, mow interstates, etc, bring back the chain gang. prison would be a lot more hated if they made your ass work 8 hours a day in the hot sun.  
View Quote

Singling this one out:

Now lets say a person ends up being found innocent years down the road, for any reason, then they should exit prison with the equivalent of $50/hour of that labor in order to have a big enough "kitty" to actually start over--along with expunging of the record,...
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 6:55:37 PM EDT
[#48]
penalty for violent crimes carried out on offenders plus one generation prior as well as offspring thereof. people would think twice if momma and the kiddies would be on the hook for their actions as well

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 6:59:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 7:20:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
........I'll have a Coke!
View Quote

No Shit.

Good movie!
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top